• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Both sources are probably blowing their looks out of proportion by taking terrible shots, but the white people look a lot closer to what they look like with make-up.

Dr. Ike

Smash Cadet
also you guys are ********, you put enough makeup on me and you could turn ME into Pamela Anderson, OF COURSE SHE DOESNT LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME ALL THE TIME.

Have you seen a homeless bum who hasn't showered in 14 years when they clean him up give him a haircut and a suit? He looks like Johnny Depp at first, then he turns into Barrack Obama.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i think the real reason to all this isn't the fact that asian women are ugly or that white women are ugly, but that all woman are unattractive

men all day

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
So, U of A had this presentation at my high school, and it was pretty good (AKA run of the mill general summary).
What do you guys think about U of A?
I'll probably go into engineering, petroleum or chemical, or science, probably chemistry. There's a chance I'll go into graphic design, industrial design, architecture or some such but my parents will probably disapprove. It the campus nice, how are the program, do any of you live in residence (probably not) and could you tell me about it, etc. It's one of my top choices seeing as it's a middle ground between me moving to east/west coast and staying in Calgary (which I don't want).

T-block

B2B TST
The campus ground are about equal to U of C in terms of being "nice". U of A's engineering buildings are buckets better than any building on U of C campus though, from what I saw. Our Student Union building is not as cool as U of C's imo, but apart from that, pretty much everything is better at U of A, including the education for what you want to go into. If you're able and allowed to come up here, I'd 100% recommend it.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
this province is white dominated. When you take that into account, engineering has a huge concentration of the provinces brown and asian people lol

civil engineering has every brown person in the city

Also, its not a coincidence when you walk on the east side of the campus and see more women and white people. Where as on the west side, it's predominately men, with the majority of the campus's asian and middle eastern student population lol. Not including HUB.

Have you guys ever noticed how segregated CAB basement is? LOL
So, U of A had this presentation at my high school, and it was pretty good (AKA run of the mill general summary).
I'll probably go into engineering, petroleum or chemical, or science, probably chemistry. There's a chance I'll go into graphic design, industrial design, architecture or some such but my parents will probably disapprove. It the campus nice, how are the program, do any of you live in residence (probably not) and could you tell me about it, etc. It's one of my top choices seeing as it's a middle ground between me moving to east/west coast and staying in Calgary (which I don't want).
I loveeeee UofA. I LOVE IT HEREEEE. Some buildings are pretty gross and old but most of my time is spent in the newer engineering buildings so I don't give a hoot. We also have top tier bathrooms.

If you really like designing/architecture, I'd recommend Civil Engineering! It has a nice unique design/creativity aspect to it which you wont find in the other disciplines. I'm also biased cause I'm in Civil lol. Petroleum is for people who like money, like Matt lol. SO MUCH MONEY. Highest paying job in NA IIRC. Chemical is ok, I don't know of many people who went into it besides Tyson but if it interests you then you should go for it!

I know of people who live in res. Its a really social-able environment and you won't get much work done because of all the events and activities happening. My suggestion is to find an apartment or a basement somewhere near campus or the lrt stations around the city. Unless you decide to go into Arts or General Studies, then res is the perfect environment for you.
Paul 2 good...

Thought I had him with my Fox vs Jiggs, but last stock, a few b-airs and a lack of upsmash loses me the game. On Mangoland, too.

Oh and there's a pretty good Ganon player that came today, surprised 2 stocks off of me, skilled one more. Then I realized he was good and tech-read to F-smash.
more like Teh Ricey

LOLOLOWOLOWLO

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
engineering is suicide if you aren`t Asian.
That's OK because I'm Asian.

It is also OK if it is white dominated because I am diverse, multicultural and completely accepting of other, inferior, races.

T-block

B2B TST
i loooove CAB basement

"pre-med" science has a waaaaay higher concentration of asians. makes the number of asians in engineering look like a joke.

and our bathrooms really are top tier.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i think the real reason to all this isn't the fact that asian women are ugly or that white women are ugly, but that all woman are unattractive

men all day
how did i know

uofa doesn't have architecture, so if you really want to do that, you'll have to go to uoft or something for that.

I loveeeee UofA. I LOVE IT HEREEEE. Some buildings are pretty gross and old but most of my time is spent in the newer engineering buildings so I don't give a hoot. We also have top tier bathrooms.

If you really like designing/architecture, I'd recommend Civil Engineering! It has a nice unique design/creativity aspect to it which you wont find in the other disciplines. I'm also biased cause I'm in Civil lol. Petroleum is for people who like money, like Matt lol. SO MUCH MONEY. Highest paying job in NA IIRC. Chemical is ok, I don't know of many people who went into it besides Tyson but if it interests you then you should go for it!

I know of people who live in res. Its a really social-able environment and you won't get much work done because of all the events and activities happening. My suggestion is to find an apartment or a basement somewhere near campus or the lrt stations around the city. Unless you decide to go into Arts or General Studies, then res is the perfect environment for you.

more like Teh Ricey

LOLOLOWOLOWLO
petroleum is basically a derivative of chemical. chemical is just a very broad and general discipline, which can do petroleum jobs, and other (non oil/gas) jobs such as plastics, pulp, etc.

but like victor said, petroleum (and chemical) are where the money is at. this is basically 80% of the reason why i went into chemical, is because alberta is all about the oil.

also petroleum jobs are mainly field jobs. meaning you'll be heading to fort mac or similar areas of field work. chemicals can do the same, alternatively, you can also do research/office jobs in the city.

also keep in mind civil won't be as much designing as architecture, it would be more calculations using physics and mathematics.

engineering is a bit overrated, i do recommend you to do something you enjoy over something of a bland choice from asians' parental influence. however, if you do think you'll prefer engineering, you'll have all of first year to decide what kind of discipline you want to get into, so you don't have to worry about it.

in first year, i actually jumped around with my decision between computer -> software -> electrical -> nanotechnology -> chemical

Tyson651

Smash Lord
actually, the funny thing is, is that i made more money in calgary than my friend working in fort mac for our work terms

also another thing i want to say is that being a chemist will most likely result in doing research and development related work. so unless you like it, then something more practical would be chem engg.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
engineering is so broad. You can do hands-on/field work or you can do office/lab research jobs. You'll likely find a discipline you'll like in your first year (engg 100 and 101 give you tastes of all 10 disciplines) to help you make a decision. Plus, that cash money. My friends bf just graduated this year and is already making 60K a year starting just working over at the anthony henday road.(sp)

I chose engineering on my own. My parents wanted me to go into nursing lol. But if you like math, science, and lack of english, then you'll really like studying engineering.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
It's not much of a story xD My mom is a nurse, and my dad's gf is a nurse and they're all like

"you should go into nursing. you're so nice and you care about people. nursing is the way to go" That, and my dad told me, essentially, that I wasn't masculine to do heavy work LOL.

My dad used to be an steam engineer and he was usually out in the fields most of the time (before and during my early years) and he told me that he found it boring cause all he did was read gauges on oil pump jacks. That, and even though the pay was good he didn't get to stay home very often. I think he was concerned about me going through it and not liking it at the end or something.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
"you should go into nursing. you're so nice and you care about people. nursing is the way to go" That, and my dad told me, essentially, that I wasn't masculine to do heavy work LOL.
you mean they knew you were actually gay :3

engineering is so broad. You can do hands-on/field work or you can do office/lab research jobs. You'll likely find a discipline you'll like in your first year (engg 100 and 101 give you tastes of all 10 disciplines) to help you make a decision. Plus, that cash money. My friends bf just graduated this year and is already making 60K a year starting just working over at the anthony henday road.(sp)

I chose engineering on my own. My parents wanted me to go into nursing lol. But if you like math, science, and lack of english, then you'll really like studying engineering.
also the starting pay for fresh engg grads is ~60k, and it only goes up from there.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Tyler says:
oh trust me
i have chinese profs too
my lab ta is called Feifei Fu
LOL
Mike Wong says:
sounds like a girl's name
Tyler says:
it is a girl's name
it's also ********
Mike Wong says:
oh
that's kinda cute then
Tyler says:
wtf
are you serious mike
Mike Wong says:
i have a thing for fob girls i think
idk what she looks like though lol
just saying...the name could be cute
Tyler says:
you have a thing for FOB GIRLS?
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

FalseFalco

Smash Master
engineering is white dominated
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

u trollin

Tyson651

Smash Lord
from what i see, there are more whites than asians in my class.

but then again, this is canada.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
"teh ricey"?

But yeah, not to be racist or anything, but average/smart brown people all become doctors or engineers. Failures become taxi drivers.

My Indian friend in computer science with me actually said that when he told his cousin that he was taking compsci, his cousin said "WTF are you dumb or something"

In my compsci class it's all like Asian or white people with no prior programming experience

On a side and slightly more racist note, I was playing bball at leisure centre one day and this brown guy Ali's friend yelled "CMON ALI! DRIVE THE LANE LIKE YOUR DAD DRIVES A TAXI"
And later he turned to us and said "but seriously, his dad drives a taxi"

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
india has more honor students then america has students.

i think a lot of it comes down to pressure from parents tbh. In china and india, because of the high population, everyone has to strive to be the best because that was the only way to be successful. No lie, but its a lot more slack here. Our parents just end up keeping that mentality. That, and they want the bragging rights. Bragging rights, and wealth LOL. Viets are all about luxuries. Its not like its a bad thing however. It's become such a stereotype that you're force to follow it or else you look like a dumb loser compared to the rest of your ethnic group, which in turn just furthers the stereotype lol. No racial though.

At least, that's my thoughts on it, as well as some other people I know. Just my look on things I guess.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yet the most successful people are white. Sukadik

All asian and brown doctors are ****ty. I bet med school has some racial bias now since it's so common to hear about awful ethnic doctors. Not even racist here, it's just the way it is.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
india has more honor students then america has students.

i think a lot of it comes down to pressure from parents tbh. In china and india, because of the high population, everyone has to strive to be the best because that was the only way to be successful. No lie, but its a lot more slack here. Our parents just end up keeping that mentality. That, and they want the bragging rights. Bragging rights, and wealth LOL. Viets are all about luxuries. Its not like its a bad thing however. It's become such a stereotype that you're force to follow it or else you look like a dumb loser compared to the rest of your ethnic group, which in turn just furthers the stereotype lol. No racial though.

At least, that's my thoughts on it, as well as some other people I know. Just my look on things I guess.
Agreed. My parents apparently first realized that I think differently from a lot of people, when I actually said when I was 3 or 4 (in Canto). "You always tell me to be a obedient, smart, and knowledgable child (gwai dzai laek dzai chuong ming dzai). But I don't want to. Being good is so hard, while being bad is so easy."

Although being Chinese, math never came to me easily. I always had to work my *** off just to maintain 80's. I was almost a more abstract thinker, thinking about the future, the past, the sky, the universe, etc. This might have been because of me being born and growing up in Canada, and also taking piano lessons from a teacher who could also think the way I did. I dunno. I agree on the bragging rights thing too, cause a lot of my relatives keep urging me to go into a job where you can make a lot of money, and never put happiness/interest before the wealth. Finally my parents are opening up to thinking about happiness, and are even starting to urge me to take something I will enjoy.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
WELL ISN'T THAT A NICE STORY! TOUCHED MY HEART!

Lol, but seriously that's funny. You're basically a white kid? That's what I am getting.

Top Bottom