• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

Stevo

Smash Champion
I was with Jarrett's family for much of the day. His dad was telling me about how we, the friends he made through Smash, were honestly his closest friends, and one of the greatest joys in his life. He told me about how he was always so eager to go to every smashfest that was happening, and that playing Smash was one of the few things he happily talked about.

One of my fondest memories is way back in 2005, when we had Smash Thursdays at Devon's house after school. One particular day, Jarrod and Carl came over, and proceeded to trash us. I remember Jarrod never lost a game for the whole time we were playing. Jarrett was watching the whole time. He very timidly asked if he could play a round. We said sure, and he BEASTED Jarrod. He totally hardstyled on him from out of nowhere. We were all like waaaat.

After everyone else had left, having seen Carl do a super wavedash, he asked me how to do it. I explained that I sucked at it, and had to put in some input on some frame of a down+B (I think it's 43?) and demonstrated one after like 15 tries. He picks up the controller and does it after two. I stayed for a while to chat with Devon, and Jarrett just sat in front of the screen, practicing SWD the entire night in training mode. Just that image of him sitting there training gives me such feelings about his devotion to this game.

I'm gonna miss him a lot. I really wish that I could have understood him better.
thanks for sharing that

red_comet

Smash Rookie
I only played brawl with him but some of the spacing and zoning games I had with him are some of the funnest games I've played, always close matches leaving me mentally exhausted after every set.

I was crushed when I heard about it this morning, still hoping I could get one more game until now. RIP Jarrett.

The Arsenal

Smash Cadet
Jarrett, although I did not know you very well i knew you were one of the most respected people in our community, not only for your skill but because of your kindness, RIP

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Jarrett's Samus was so frikkin good

So many combos and reads

He was like the only Samus I've seen that like never up-b's out of shield

it's sad cause I don't think he was trying when we played one friendly at Clarke's house

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
I know this may be last minute as well, but anyone outside of Edmonton is free to come as well. Feel free to contact me for directions etc.
I know I won't be able to make it, but there is a small event happening in calgary this saturday that I hope as many smashers as possible can make it to, so we can really play in his memory.

edit: UofC on saturday 1-5 I believe. theres other stuff there too.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Goddamit Sid, you're making me tear up at work.
Since Jarrett has deleted his facebook, I've been searching through the photos I have and the only -clear- photos of Jarrett are these two with you, Fraser. ADAT2.

I know I won't be able to make it, but there is a small event happening in calgary this saturday that I hope as many smashers as possible can make it to, so we can really play in his memory.

That'd be good. Is there a way we can pass on messages from the Calgary community to Jarrett's family?

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace

Is it the fighting game club meeting? I'll try and make it, but I have some SENG stuff to do

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
That'd be good. Is there a way we can pass on messages from the Calgary community to Jarrett's family?
I was thinking about that, I think it'd be nice to get a picture of the calgary community as well, and if anyone wants to make a donation I'm sure you or someone else would be willing to take it, sadly our event is actually an unrelated club event not for smash, so we can't truly honour him this time.

I would love to have a major tournament in the near future dedicated in his honour.

Is it the fighting game club meeting? I'll try and make it, but I have some SENG stuff to do
I suggest it, I don't know how long I'll be there, but I'm playing Samus for the whole tournament/free play and would love to see you show up.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Does anyone have a cash box or something we can use to hold the donations for Saturday?

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
That would be hard to do Arthur, but it would be cool. Anything and everything is appreciated I'm sure, just as long as it's respectful

KillLock

Smash Lord
I am absolutely crushed by this. Jarrett was such a good kid, so smart and so kind. I seriously can't believe this... I really don't even know what to say right now...

R.I.P Jarrett

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
This news in unreal.....
He was such a good kid. Still a kid =/

Didn't know he was autistic or anything. I thought he would just show up when he went missing. damn =(

Taste

Smash Apprentice
Jarrett's matches were pretty slick, thanks for posting.

Clarke, it's 1-5 in the empty space @ uofc. If someone could bring an extra setup that'd be good, if we don't need it we can lock it up somewhere.

Taste

Smash Apprentice
yes its by subway. If you guys get lost and need directions call/text me at 403-4024912

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Sadly I will not be able to make it as close family relations of my own have come up.

However I will still be playing a samus tribute whenever applicable, sorry guys

Quaff

Smash Rookie
Shoutouts to Mo, Clarke, Simon, Arthur, and DumberChild (was it Chris?) for showing up today.
I didn't include you Ben because you only played Brawl like a scrub :3
Also, shoutout to the FGCC for hosting weekly events now

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I 2stocked arthur and he wasnt even salty, im offended
Moe beat me and i beat arthur
so Moe>Me>Arthur ;)
Others should bring games/cards/setups because if i get too busy to smash u guys might end up playing brawl

Top Bottom