• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Calgary has brad for monetary tournaments and FGCC for the free meet ups at the university. Edmonton brawl (the university club) wants money to keep competitiveness. University doesn't allow that so we can't advertise and expand (or else a possibility of being flagged?). No one has immediately stepped up to provide what Brad does. Therefore, Edmonton brawl wants to continue their current situation (money incentive) as the primary host. There are currently no consistent meet ups for free play at the university.

I think that's what's happening anyway. Keith claims that they CAN host pay tournaments under Canada law (and therefore advertise). Victor says you can't under SU policy (can't advertise).

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i got an rca to to male mic to go into my laptop but i cant use that+the cam mic. it doesnt matter.
i guess that means noone is coming:(
Calgary is hella scrubs, i dont know why i even bother trying to improve this community when noone actually puts in any work. i try to get you recorded so you can notice your mistakes and hold events but your all too caught up with trying to win some scrubby amount of$ to actually help people improve. i know we all suck at coaching but there are new people trying to improve at this game and everyone just holds onto their secrets cause they are too insecure about their game or concerned with winning money which is just greedy and petty.
I usually run friendlies from 1pm-usually before dinner.
I go to school and i understand people cant go to all events but when people do go to events they dont help each other improve at all other than their own personal friends. i would give more advice but i really dont know that much about matchups and counterpicks, i only really know about mechanics and ic's matchups and counterpicks. i cant help all these new players other than speculation
my mom's bday is in early march, and she's passing through calgary tomorrow if you really think i'm making a lame excuse.

also no one asks me to help them, i'm not going to actively tell everyone what they did wrong and stuff cause people get annoyed by that.

edit: also at brad's tournament, i was actually thinking about putting up my tournament winnings (merely a net $15 bucks) and was going to cycle through all the newer players and tell them if they can beat me, i'd give them 5 bucks as an incentive for them to get better and really try to play against a veteran player.

i ended up not doing it cause of crews though lol.

dude you gotta understand that people need to study, and people especially need to cram at the end of reading week.

Today was my mom's birthday.
lol such coincidence.

also dobble edit: after reading the rest of the posts, the only person who asked me for help was arthur. i helped him. as for anyone else, no one asks me. i can't read your minds if you want me to tell you what you do wrong and stuff, so man up and speak up.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
by accepting what we have as really good and not wanting to improve as a whole we are NEVER going to be recognized as even a part of canada.
we must build on the strong base developed by a few devoted individuals and improve as a whole, or we can continue to be deadberta.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Btw, RPS tourneys have balanced and awesome brackets. You guys should totally come.

loljkIlovebread
Brad Combo.

Everyone should note, that my experiences with RPS events (how long has this **** been running now, three years? maybe 2) has been entirely positive.

Regarding Edmonton: I don't understand why you guys can't do what Calgary does. Is there something inherently different between Calgary people and Edmonton people? You guys just need a bit of effort and organization. What we have going is very very good, so why won't it work in Edmonton?
Edmonton people are dumb.

Calgary for prez.

As for srs business, I think people are just a little unsettled, edmonton has been above us both in skill and activity for years, we just had two tournaments, if I stopped altogether, and nobody stepped up immediately, I'm willing to bet the tables would turn again. It's just a matter of the community, right now we have a little more on the side of organization, they have a little more on the side of steve.

Calgary has brad for monetary tournaments and FGCC for the free meet ups at the university. No one has immediately stepped up to provide what Brad does.
I think that's what's happening anyway. Keith claims that they CAN host pay tournaments under Canada law (and therefore advertise). Victor says you can't under SU policy (can't advertise).
D'aww shucks, <3 I'm being appreciated. Thanks =]

As for law, well, TECHNICALLY, what we're doing when we run tournaments is a finable offense as it's underage gambling, however it would never be enforced unless there was a major complaint or rowdyness was involved.

Schools however can be pretty strict.

by accepting what we have as really good and not wanting to improve as a whole we are NEVER going to be recognized as even a part of canada.
we must build on the strong base developed by a few devoted individuals and improve as a whole, or we can continue to be deadberta.
Comparitively, Calgary has gotten much better than it was in the past, trust me on that one, theres no denying it and we should be proud, however you're right, we're nowhere near international level, which is fine too, but it's something to strive for.

I think the most important thing is building a strong community and actually respecting eachother before we start drama and blame others for a lack of interest. Everything has been going well lately, let's keep on keeping on.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Here's the thing. I like this community. It's been a big part of the last 8 years of my life and I'm embarassed to say that many of my memories, experiences, and friendships are a direct result of this community. That being said, my favorite part of this community is meeting new players and seeing them get off and improve. When there's a new player in the community, it's a new person to share memories, experiences, and friendships with.

Years ago before most of us were university students, the brawl monthies were a blast. Whenever I was in town I'd stop by with my brother to compete. Sure I didn't like the game, but I liked the community enough to play. Eventually I just got bored of the game (I swear to god I tried though) and stopped showing up to compete in tournament. When we became a university student group we had a huge opportunity to grow as a community. When I asked why we weren't advertising and promoting our club, I was told that we had to lay low because we were playing for money provided by a communal pot which under the Student Union is considered gambling.
Eventually it bothered me so I took incentive to run a free-to-play tournament for both melee and brawl so we could openly promote the event. I felt like it was a huge success. I'll never forget Jamie losing to a new player as peach on brinstar when all jamie did was downsmash. We had a lot of new players come by to play, and I felt like we were heading in the right direction. Afterwards, I was met with a lot of negative feedback. It was disheartening to say the least. I realized, sadly, for the first time that for many players, $$ was huge incentive for people to compete and to enjoy the game. It was a shock because it felt like the game and community I loved so dearly felt...dirty. I guess I'm just a ***** but it hurt quite a bit. I left the scene for a while, retired from modding smashboards, got a girlfriend, focused on school, and started playing starcraft 2. This is when I met and joined the Starcraft club and got more involved with them. Personally, I'm really amazed by how the starcraft club has ran. They have weekly dropin sessions every friday which are a blast, a booth at club fairs, charity tournaments, and get togethers where everyone is trying to help each other to get better.
Now with the sudden influx of new players I was motivated to do something similar. I never thought we'd ever return to the glory days of smash years ago, but brads tournament and all these new players showing up recently have given me hope.

I wanted to legitimize a club, activily promote it, and build a strong community. Sure, we don't have money at these events, but I tried to accomodate this by having off-campus events. I want to have support from the Student Union and recieve resources like a stable room, and tvs (much like the tourney I ran for the KSA last year). I want a booth at the clubs fair, and I want more people to know about us. Is that unrealistic? Is it a risk to give up "competition" within our isolated community by removing monetary incentive for only the "potential" of gaining new players?

The brawl community has for YEARS stuck to the same approach with little to no results and its discouraging to genuinely want to improve the community by shifting into other directions only to be shot down by ****ty excuses and assumptions. What do Ron and I get for trying to reach a common ground between the brawl and melee tournament mentalities? We try to offer free on-campus events to allow us to openly advertise as a legitimized student group, and monetary off-campus events to accomodate those who prefer $$ only. What do we get? People are complaining about a lack of incentive to host tournaments? But you know what? Just host them if you want them to happen! It's not hard at all. I held an international tournament with hotel booking and transportation accomodations and **** when I was some dweeby preteen in the middle of some god for saken town named Red Deer. It's not hard when youre passionate enough. I know I show hostilities to the brawl community, but I hold strong convictions. I'm tired of the brawl community controlling the smash community as a whole. That may come across as me pushing some kind of anti-brawl agenda, but it isn't.

The past few months have been one of the best experiences in my smash career. The way we got together for Jarrett's memorial tournament, and the way both communities FINALLY came together thanks to that godsent game named Project: Melee. All those smashfests we've had were always a fun time, despite the fact that we had a total of 0 tournaments outside of brawl with monetary prizes. During that time, we got Andrew and his friends back, whom I haven't seen since KSA. Seb finally showed up to a smashfest after being around for years prior, and many others. If free tournaments and events encourage you to troll, then please do so if you find it enjoyable. If you don't want to play competitively without a monetary incentive then no one is forcing you to attend events.

Perhaps I'm just naive and ignorant to believe that people play smash for the same reasons I do. I wish I wasn't as attached to this community and to this game as much as I am. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. This has bothered me for so long, and I've kept it bottled up for so long that it all kind of bursted out. Sorry for the rant, I know these aren't always the funnest things to read either and I always hate being on the other end of them (shout outs to brad).

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
Wow that was a good read lol, I think we have a real opportunity to show the rest of Canada we can be organized and competitive. With BC players expressing interest in strengthening old bonds and evo just around the corner i believe AB's community is being given a great chance to be stronger, better and more well-known. We need to strike while the iron is hot!

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
Eventually it bothered me so I took incentive to run a free-to-play tournament for both melee and brawl so we could openly promote the event. I felt like it was a huge success. I'll never forget Jamie losing to a new player as peach on brinstar when all jamie did was downsmash. We had a lot of new players come by to play, and I felt like we were heading in the right direction. Afterwards, I was met with a lot of negative feedback. It was disheartening to say the least. I realized, sadly, for the first time that for many players, $$ was huge incentive for people to compete and to enjoy the game. It was a shock because it felt like the game and community I loved so dearly felt...dirty.
I have always been in on this sort of idea and support it fully, but you have to remember how this event was advertised in the first place; a tournament advertised for money, yet only ended up being free events. Do you see the problem here?

It is obvious that I only play brawl for money, and it has almost always been like that for brawl. I really would not want to go to a free brawl tournament seeing as I don't enjoy the game, I don't feel this way with 64+melee because I enjoy those games.

Felt like I needed to add the above part cuz reponses like "LOL YOU ONLY PLAY FOR MONEY" would be coming.

victor shouldn't be so blind and brawl sucks pwn

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Victor the real reason the club was never able to become legitimate is because it requires a certain amount of university students to be apart of it. This is needed before we can even set up a booth to get attention. The uofa is ****ing dumb to say the least, and both times when the brawl community was strong we had little enrolled students and all the melee players were off the smash planet.

EDIT: k so I tried looking up policy for groups and specifically gambling... First off the uofa website is awful as usual, secondly what I get to is a link to basically the gambling laws that are in effect in Alberta. So I am guessing there's no difference between the two but that's me attempting to find this on my phone in an airport. Victor/Ron think you could find out exactly the regulations for clubs?

Stevo

Smash Champion
I have always been in on this sort of idea and support it fully, but you have to remember how this event was advertised in the first place; a tournament advertised for money, yet only ended up being free events. Do you see the problem here?

It is obvious that I only play brawl for money, and it has almost always been like that for brawl. I really would not want to go to a free brawl tournament seeing as I don't enjoy the game, I don't feel this way with 64+melee because I enjoy those games.

Felt like I needed to add the above part cuz reponses like "LOL YOU ONLY PLAY FOR MONEY" would be coming.

victor shouldn't be so blind and brawl sucks pwn
I've played some pretty good friendlies with you in melee, so I know that, for at least that game, you don't only play only for the money.

T-block

B2B TST
On gambling: I think the issue was underage gambling, and a lot of us were underage at the time? If we advertise, we need to say 18+, or we can only allow 18+ in, or something like that. I'm not too sure what the restrictions are, but it was enough for Mike and I to agree that full promotion as a club was not a good idea.

First of all, this notion of Brawl players being players who play only for money is entirely false. For one, it's an absurd generalization. But more importantly, I only need one point to disprove it: smashfests do happen, and the players in question do attend. Sometimes the players in question are even the main push for the smashfest in the first place. So stop talking as if these players are soulless drones who don't have a love for the game. There are better ways to work towards earning money, and everyone knows that - money is not the REASON for playing this game. As for money being a MOTIVATOR, of course it is. It's naive to pretend it isn't for most people, and that will apply to different people in different degrees. But do you pass judgement on OoP players who would only be interested if the pot reached a certain level? Material incentive for competition is a concept that is ingrained in our culture. It's unfair to call people "dirty" for being more motivated after having put something on the line.

On the "free tournament", there actually wasn't overwhelming negativity towards it. You just feel that way because you decided then to bash the entire Brawl community and received backlash for it. As far as the actual event, the issue (and I stated this back then too) was that it REPLACED a money event (ie- betrayed people's expectations), and because it was all improvised, it was a logistical nightmare. I was very clear that I would be interested in a similar event if it was planned beforehand. Others expressed similar interest. I would find proof, but I can't find **** on SWF right now.

Here's my issue, Victor. What you described sounds fantastic. Slightly padded with idealism, perhaps, but all-around I don't think anyone would actually say "pft i dont want that". Given that, it seems obvious to me that the best solution is to allow you to deliver on those words and foster a lively community, while continuing to hold monetary events somewhat under the radar, unsanctioned by the club, and advertised through word-of-mouth. What's wrong with that? As Luke has said multiple times, the Brawl tournaments aren't even running under a club at the moment, so what's preventing these tournaments from continuing to run while your club is up?

But Victor, from you, I'm seeing no attempt to find a better, inclusive solution here. Your "compromise" is to move monetary events completely off-campus, and you refuse to entertain the idea of finding a way to have both on-campus (as Luke actually suggested in the FB thread), immediately citing the gambling policy. It's like you're using this gambling issue to push these "dirty money-grabbing" players off campus. That's what leads me, and others, to think you have an a personal agenda behind your actions. By equating only-plays-for-money with Brawl in general, you make it look like an attempt to arouse and instill anti-Brawl sentiments in both new and old players, masquerading as a well-intentioned push towards unification. If a livelier community is really all you want, I'll do what I can to support you, and I'm sure others will too, but your current approach is absolutely terrible. I get that you have negative feelings towards the Brawl community. Maybe I'll even believe you actually want to be closer to them. But if you can't separate those feelings while making this push, then your actions are actually pushing the communities farther apart.

I also don't understand that statement that Brawl is controlling the Smash community. As I said, a Smash club doesn't even exist on campus right now. No one can stop you if you decided to start your own club. In fact, if you stopped insulting people, maybe they'd help you.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Those were some long posts guys.

I think we're all missing the most important part,
That being said, my favorite part of this community is meeting new players and seeing them get off.
But actually, I think people are just getting way too stressed, we all want the same thing. Victor means well, and may have said something to bother everyone, but look at his intentions.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Also half the time I don't like giving advice because I don't actually play the character they're asking about, and I really don't like giving wrong advice

and teaching stuff other than fundamentals is preference, like Paul going for a d-air -> read while I would go for a u-tilt -> guarantee hit, and that's something that can't really be taught

sleak-

Smash Journeyman
regarding edmonton: tldr any of edmontons posts, can i get a summary?

regarding calgary: i thinks its always good to help each other out but overall i think we re good !

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
The reason i'd rather have our monetary events to be off-campus is that, because we'll be legitimized as a student group, i'd rather avoid the direct affiliation in the potential case that our gambling is discovered by the SU and our student group gets shut down. I just want to follow the policies laid out by the SU so we can avoid getting in trouble, and I think that's fair. I feel like this is a legitimate compromise. I can't stress enough that i'd rather just avoid any complications with the student union.

I know people play for money, and I am by no means against events with monetary prizes. All I'm saying is that i'm disappointed that when there isn't anything monetary on the line, people decide to troll and **** around, which I feel is a little disrespectful. But that's not just a personal issue I have that isn't the main purpose of the direction i'd like to go.

I'm just frustrated with the unshakable ignorance and elitism the brawl community has displayed over the past few years. I'm sorry for being so aggressive towards your community but there is a huge contrast in ideologies and priorities and I tend to get really frustrated. Please just be open minded and let go of your attachment to regular monetized events. Let's move forward together by legitimizing an official student group with free on-campus events, and run monetary events, not underground, not secretively, and no low key, but fully unaffiliated with the student union sanctioned club. Remember that I want this only so that we can have a stable location and a set of tvs to run our events in a more organized manner (this is a massive problem for us right now), and to being able to fully advertise around campus. We can keep doing what we have been doing with brawl but i can't stress enough that it must be an unaffiliated event (that can be advertised through the club but in the sense that it's not affiliated with the SU).

Frequent free events will allow us to promote and gather newer players. Less frequent monetary events will allow us to have something to look forward to every few months, and to actually HAVE incentive to practice for during the free events and to improve veteran and new players alike. Many successful campus gaming communities follow this mentality (MacEwans LoL and UofAs SC2, both of which I am active with) and I'm really wanting to push our community in the same direction.

Otherwise I am find if we stay the way we are. We have been for years and I still have a good time player with the 10 some people every smashfest. Brawl can keep doing what they're doing and P:M/Melee can keep doing what we've been doing. I'm graduating from engineering this year and I have a lot of **** on my plate, and if the free time I plan on volunteering to our community isn't appreciated than I can direct my attention back to the starcraft 2 club, pokemon club, and lol club, which I happen to actually share similar goals, philosophies, and mindsets with.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
regarding edmonton: tldr any of edmontons posts, can i get a summary?

regarding calgary: i thinks its always good to help each other out but overall i think we re good !
There is a conflict on whether or not the edmonton community wants to either:
1. Become sanctioned as a uofa student group to attain resources and benefits such as tvs, rooms, and advertisement rights in an attempt to grow the community, at the expense of keeping $$ tournaments unaffiliated and off campus to avoid SU violations. (The mentality of other successful on-campus gaming communities)

2. Remain independently run with no affiliation with the SU and to continue to run frequent $$ events with the same localized and small community.

3. Become a sanctioned uofa student group while still running $$ tournaments in the hopes that we don't get caught

Tyson651

Smash Lord
Those were some long posts guys.

I think we're all missing the most important part,

But actually, I think people are just getting way too stressed, we all want the same thing. Victor means well, and may have said something to bother everyone, but look at his intentions.
i actually agree with brad 100% (for once)

Taste

Smash Apprentice
Brad do more short smart posts. It's a big improvement.

Does the SU reeeallly enforce this whole gambling thing? We've been running money tourneys, well advertised, out of UofC for forever...

and arthur lol... ****ing off topic to the max

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
im not arguing that the brawl community isn't close

the brawl community is a small group of the same friends over many years, which isn't a bad thing by any means. But lets try to expand our community and develop more friendships.

and lets not kid ourselves that the brawl community is losing more members than they are gaining. This needs to be addressed, and open promotion of a smash club will benefit the brawl community in this way.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
my point still stands, keith

in fact, i would go so far as to say it only confirms it. You guys are tight, i get that. But that picture could have been 3 years ago or yesterday, because it's essentially been the same group through out that time. Let's grow.

Taste

Smash Apprentice
I've had it with the elitist Edmonton Brawl Community
They are the 1% and think they can get whatever they want. Well...
ENOUGH is ENOUGH
OCCUPY EDMONTON BRAWL!

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I have a colossal amount of work this week. I won't even get time to edit videos this week. Unless you guys want placeholder uploads with no sound / desync.

Edited crews are being uploaded as I write this.

@Tyson, I can't see two of the people in the picture but everyone still plays aside from Dan. They come every tournament. For the past several months I've went to the monthly, I see these guys at least.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Yeah, please keep adding oil into the fire from last night guys. We're definitely gonna go places at this point.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I have a colossal amount of work this week. I won't even get time to edit videos this week. Unless you guys want placeholder uploads with no sound / desync.

Edited crews are being uploaded as I write this.

@Tyson, I can't see two of the people in the picture but everyone still plays aside from Dan. They come every tournament. For the past several months I've went to the monthly, I see these guys at least.
The guy in the back corner is Jordan, a BC player who retired a while ago. The blurry fellow on the right is Luke.

BloodyIron

Smash Cadet
As a reminder, Kithkin isn't the only show in town. LANified! has recently made further announcements about our event, schedule, and if you missed it we're running SSB:M 1v1 and 2v2. Not quite a large spread, but we don't want to put too many eggs in one basket without seeing support.

If you want to see the full details of the announcements, head to: http://smashboards.com/threads/332868/

Honestly though guys, I do want to hear what you think about what we're doing. We love games, and smash brothers is solid for tournaments. I know that we don't run "traditional" Single Elimination and Double Elimination in all cases, but there are very good reasons we use the formats we do; primarily we feel each entrant gets a better experience, and it enables us to handle larger numbers of entrants/teams.

Anyways, as I said, I would love to hear what you have to say, and if you have something to say please post it in our thread so it doesn't get lost and we can address it. If you guys like what you see COME for the love of brad! Seriously, events, even ones ran by Brad need people to show up for them to work. We're not perfect but both of our groups do a lot of work, show your support!

Top Bottom