• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All newcomers were leaked along Little Mac, Pac Man and the Miis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squartle

Smash Apprentice
So much Pac-Man hate. Goodness. I'm sticking to my plan - I won't be following any more of the Smash 4 developments until launch - but if this rumor is true, I'll be mostly happy. Couldn't care less about Miis either way.

If Pac-Man is in, I think Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man will be the only third-party chars. That means cutting Snake, but I think it's more likely than cutting Sonic. It seems fitting that the three third-party characters would be each respective company's most recognizable characters, all three gaming icons.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Am I the only one who likes the idea of Pac Man over Snake? Snake just doesn't fit in at all. Let's be completely honest. Snake would have fit in so much better in Playstation Allstars Battle Royale or whatever the hell it's called. As lame as Pac Man is, and as much as I really don't care for him, I feel like he could be done creatively. If Pac Man is in, I'd like to see Snake go. I'm just not very keen on the idea of third party characters. I mean, doon't get me wrong, Sonic is okay, even though his moveset sucks, and Mega Man looks pretty cool.

Also, whoever didn't see Mii coming is obviously in denial. Mii is a pretty crappy addition as well, and seems a little redundant after Wii Fit Trainer, but I know they'll be clever with this one, assuming the rumors are true.

Powerstars

Smash Apprentice
How long is E3 going on for?
I might as well predict Sebastian Tute from Wii Music making an appearance.
inb4 he's in it. But really, I hope he's lucky, cuz I don't like having that stuff spoiled AND I hope there are more than 6 newcomers. Then, I'd prefer if there were no cuts and they brought back Mewtwo and maybe Dr. Mario.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Look, people win the lottery. The chances of winning the lottery are far less than guessing 3/6 confirmed characters for Smash Bros. Considering he called Villager the "Animal Crossing Guy", I'd say he just got really lucky.

There's the off chance he did find out some info and posted it in a speculative manner, but I'm banking on luck here.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm fairly certain Little Mac and Pac-Man are gonna be playable, but the question is "how will the Miis be playable?" This rumors seems too legit to be fake. This guy knows something, the way that guy in the pre-Brawl release knew that Lucario was in, Mewtwo was out, and somehow Ness was still gonna be in the game.
i swear if we get another generic human character I going to rage
I hope he's right we get the Miis... as a Villager skin like in Animal Crossing: City Folk. That would be fine by me. But seeing as how the Villager uses moves from Wii Sports, like a bowling ball, punching gloves, etc, which seems to indicate the Villagers are kinda sorta Mii-esk, which is similar to how they use Balloon Fighter's cap and balloons.

If we get the Mii as a Villager skin and the other 2 as playable characters, I'm happy with that. If we get the Mii as a playable character, that's a waste of a spot, and possibly indicates that we won't be getting many of the big name Nintendo characters we want, like Dixie Kong, K. Rool, Takamaru, Shulk, Ridley, and even Mewtwo, which scares me.

As for Pac-Man and Little Mac, they've both been potential newcomers since the reveal of Snake in Brawl over 6 years ago. The boxing ring hints at Little Mac, and as for Pac-Man, he's the most well-known (3rd party) video game character of all-time.
....what's wrong with Miis? Sakurai is brilliant, he'll be able to find a way to make them work in a way that isn't just punching and kicking.
The Villager already uses two moves from Wii Sports (the boxing gloves and a bowling ball), which seem to indicate the Villager is the Mii.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Too much pac-man hate everywhere! Even MIIVERSE became a Lloyd fanbase forum and when I tried to say pac-man was more popular than Mario according to a factual poll, I was fired up and hated on. I now have another motive for wanting pac-man in the game, to shut the rude Lloyd fanbase up. But no offense to the Lloyd fans who support pac-man.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Am I the only one who likes the idea of Pac Man over Snake? Snake just doesn't fit in at all. Let's be completely honest. Snake would have fit in so much better in Playstation Allstars Battle Royale or whatever the hell it's called. As lame as Pac Man is, and as much as I really don't care for him, I feel like he could be done creatively. If Pac Man is in, I'd like to see Snake go. I'm just not very keen on the idea of third party characters. I mean, doon't get me wrong, Sonic is okay, even though his moveset sucks, and Mega Man looks pretty cool.

Also, whoever didn't see Mii coming is obviously in denial. Mii is a pretty crappy addition as well, and seems a little redundant after Wii Fit Trainer, but I know they'll be clever with this one, assuming the rumors are true.
Snake's playstyle is way too unique for him to be cut. He also fits just fine imo, Smash Bros is about multiple worlds clashing together, having a broad horizon only helps give that feeling. I'd be pretty pissed if Pac-Man booted off Snake, Snake is just too unique of a character to get replaced, especially by such a boring design such as Pac-Man.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Pac-Man is awesome. The Lloyd fanbase is largely built up of anime diehards who prefer a "cool, sword-wielding young action hero" instead of the most classic video game character ever. Pac-Man all the way.

Plus, with Sonic's previous inclusion and Namco's co-development, it's now totally plausible that we'll see Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man fighting eachother. That's four historical Japanese video game companies duking it out in the realm of Smash Bros. If Snake returns, that's five companies. ****'s forreal.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I don't hate Pac-Man. I just think 3D Pac-Man looks kinda weird, you know? Pac-Man is classic for his 2D form, and unlike Mario or Sonic his 2D form doesn't translate to 3D so great.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Look, people win the lottery. The chances of winning the lottery are far less than guessing 3/6 confirmed characters for Smash Bros. Considering he called Villager the "Animal Crossing Guy", I'd say he just got really lucky.

There's the off chance he did find out some info and posted it in a speculative manner, but I'm banking on luck here.
Listen man, I've been speculating Smash 4 since 2008, and I've easily read over 20,000 posts on the topic, and I've never seen anyone mention the Wii Fit Trainer. Never. I saw Wii Fit mentioned for a stage and whatnot maybe once or twice, but nobody even brought up the Wii Fit Trainer for the stage idea. That's how crazy that choice was.

There's a very little chance this isn't true. But even if it is true, it doesn't mean the Mii gets its' own slot, because Miis could still be an alternate skin/mask for the Villager like in Animal Crossing: City Folk.
Snake just doesn't fit in at all. Let's be completely honest.
You have a right to your opinion, but your opinion is wrong. Snake was the most unique character in Brawl, and was the first zoning character. He's totally unique in that he sticks out from all the Nintendo characters, which is great aesthetically. The same goes for Sonic and Mega Man, which I think fits Smash quite well.

PlayerOneTyler

Snake's playstyle is way too unique for him to be cut. He also fits just fine imo, Smash Bros is about multiple worlds clashing together, having a broad horizon only helps give that feeling. I'd be pretty pissed if Pac-Man booted off Snake, Snake is just too unique of a character to get replaced, especially by such a boring design such as Pac-Man.
Keep in mind that Snake only got into Brawl because his developer begged Sakurai. Sonic and Mega Man got in for SSBB and SSB4 respectively due to popularity. I can see Pac Man being another Snake case, seeing as Namco is helping develop the game. It's kind of a "What's in it for us?" kind of thing. I don't forsee Snake being cut for the reasons you specified, but I'm just saying I wouldn't mind seeing him go, since he's not particularly my favorite at all.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Snake just doesn't fit in at all.
Depends on how you look at it

On the surface, yeah, he's completely different from the other combatants in Smash, but he's also the only character like that in the entire series; the fact that he is so different from everyone else is recognized and played with in-universe via the codecs. He's the sixth ranger/odd one/fish-out-of-water out of all of the characters in the game, which gives him a place in the series unique to others, thus making him fit into the game in an ironic sort of way (kind of like Captain America in The Avengers movie)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Listen man, I've been speculating Smash 4 since 2008, and I've easily read over 20,000 posts on the topic, and I've never seen anyone mention the Wii Fit Trainer. Never. I saw Wii Fit mentioned for a stage and whatnot maybe once or twice, but nobody even brought up the Wii Fit Trainer for the stage idea. That's how crazy that choice was.
Somebody in Social claimed he thought Wii Fit could get a rep, and honestly given how popular Wii Fit is it's not outside the realm of possibility for one or two out Smash fans out of millions to guess that Wii Fit would get a rep. I do think that the rumor is quite possibly legit, but guessing WFT does not cement it as unassailable.

Mii would never be a skin for Villager. The movesets don't match up and Mii's model is too different.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Seeing how theres a Boxing stage in smash 4 its safe to say that Little Mac is confirmed for smash 4.

I'm still a bit worried for Lil Mac's arrival seeing how the Villager seems to be using some retro moves. Ballon Fighter's chances are practically 0% now given Villager's new recovery.

What makes me worry for Lil Mac is this screen right here:

It can be based off of Wii Sports boxing, but the design of his gloves seem very similar to the Punch Out!! boxing gloves than Wii Sports Boxing boxing gloves.
The only thing helping Lil Mac's chances is that NeoGAF rumor circulating around.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Keep in mind that Snake only got into Brawl because his developer begged Sakurai. Sonic and Mega Man got in for SSBB and SSB4 respectively due to popularity. I can see Pac Man being another Snake case, seeing as Namco is helping develop the game. It's kind of a "What's in it for us?" kind of thing. I don't forsee Snake being cut for the reasons you specified, but I'm just saying I wouldn't mind seeing him go, since he's not particularly my favorite at all.
There's quite an array of popular characters I wouldn't mind seeing go either, like Olimar, Ice Climbers, ROB, G&W and Wolf. Does that mean I want to seem them go? No, I know there's people who enjoy these characters, and they're important to the roster and in representing Nintendo. Snake is important in his own way, if it hadn't been for him the likes of Pac-Man, Mega Man and Sonic wouldn't even have a chance of getting in today. Doesn't matter why he got in, he's here now, and he deserves it.

PlayerOneTyler

You have a right to your opinion, but your opinion is wrong. Snake was the most unique character in Brawl, and was the first zoning character. He's totally unique in that he sticks out from all the Nintendo characters, which is great aesthetically. The same goes for Sonic and Mega Man, which I think fits Smash quite well.
My opinion is most definitely not wrong, it's just different from yours. I just don't like the way Snake sticks out like a sore thumb, which is why I say he doesn't fit. Even Sonic blends in nicely with the rest of the cast. I never said Snake wasn't unique. I was just stating my opinion of how I'm just not a fan.

Spire

III
BRoomer

There's a very little chance this isn't true. But even if it is true, it doesn't mean the Mii gets its' own slot, because Miis could still be an alternate skin/mask for the Villager like in Animal Crossing: City Folk.
I've been speculating since 2008 as well, don't pull your elitism on me. Maybe I don't post as much as you, but I've read plenty of SSB4 discussion over the past 5 years. I'll agree, I've never seen Wii Fit Trainer posted anywhere. That doesn't mean someone couldn't suddenly guess it.

Had his guess been posted a month or so ago, it could more easily be written off as speculation; the fact it happened a day before the reveal is telling. But again: some people win the lottery by buying a ticket the day before. There's always the chance it was a lucky last minute guess. Also, see: synchronicity. I know that's getting into the unexplainable metaphysical realm, but in my day I've experienced a great deal of synchronicity—the ability to pick up on information especially nearing an important date based around said info. Ehem, carry on..

CF711

Smash Apprentice
I really hope that this rumor isn't true.

I've come to terms with WFT being in and it seems like she moves around similar to ZSS. Megaman is well Megaman and his playstyle seems to be extremely unique as it seems he is almost completely a ranged fighter. Villager seems interesting as it seems he has some decent combos and overall seems like an interesting character.

However, I don't feel like Pac-man and Mii will add all that much to the game. Pac-Man, while an Iconic videogame character, seems to be lacking in regards to having a good moveset. It might just be that I am not imaginative enough to see it, but I don't feel like he has a place in Smash. As far as Miis go, they offer nothing that another character doesn't already do. Villager has some of the moves that Mii could have already and really as a whole I feel Miis are just an unimaginative character. Personally if they do get in I will have a new practice dummy, but I feel that there are better characters out there and the Mii shouldn't get in. Little Mac I am indifferent about. If he gets in he gets in if he doesn't he doesn't.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'm still a bit worried for Lil Mac's arrival seeing how the Villager seems to be using some retro moves. Ballon Fighter's chances are practically 0% now given Villager's new recovery.

What makes me worry for Lil Mac is this screen right here:

It can be based off of Wii Sports boxing, but the design of his gloves seem very similar to the Punch Out!! boxing gloves than Wii Sports Boxing boxing gloves.
The only thing helping Lil Mac's chances is that NeoGAF rumor circulating around.
Damn. Didn't notice that... Punch Out reduced to a move/item would be pretty disappointing.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^^^^^^^ The boxing gloves are clearly from Wii Sports, hence the similar graphics. Besides, Little Mac's gloves are green.
Keep in mind that Snake only got into Brawl because his developer begged Sakurai.
And because Sakurai let him in. It's not like Snake was a throwaway pick, or that Sakurai could say no. Sakurai even stated that he was happy with Snake and Sonic's inclusion, because they made the already great Brawl roster greater, and that they added a much needed breath of fresh air and newness to the franchise.
Sonic and Mega Man got in for SSBB and SSB4 respectively due to popularity. I can see Pac Man being another Snake case, seeing as Namco is helping develop the game. It's kind of a "What's in it for us?" kind of thing. I don't forsee Snake being cut for the reasons you specified, but I'm just saying I wouldn't mind seeing him go, since he's not particularly my favorite at all.
That doesn't mean your opinion is right. Also, Snake is a very popular video game character. He's easily more popular than Mega Man, seeing as how his franchise has sold more copies of games with like 1/10th the amount of titles of Meg aMan! :laugh:

Also, I've been predicting Pac-Man forever. Also, he's literally the most recognizable video game character ever.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Too much pac-man hate everywhere! Even MIIVERSE became a Lloyd fanbase forum and when I tried to say pac-man was more popular than Mario according to a factual poll, I was fired up and hated on. I now have another motive for wanting pac-man in the game, to shut the rude Lloyd fanbase up. But no offense to the Lloyd fans who support pac-man.

You'll get Pac-Man anyway, though gosh, I'm quite sorry for hearing about the dumb fanbase.

Bad Karma shall get them and me eventually.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I've been speculating since 2008 as well, don't pull your elitism on me.
Lol who said he was being elitist? I'm reasonably certain the intent of him saying he's been speculating since 08 was to help him emphasize his point of how unexpected the idea of the Wii Fit Trainer being a playable character in is

Ghostbone

Smash Master
The problem with Snake is

He really feels like a one-off character for the smash series.

Like all the work they put in for his easter egg taunts, his reveal, his playstyle.....
He's not really someone who fits into the nintendo feel, though he worked really well in Brawl. Almost too well, can they really capture the same integration in another game?

I do hope he stays, but atm I think he'll be cut, as much as I hate that idea.

Edit: Oh and yea he's the first 3rd party character included, so maybe that's a point towards him staying as an integral part of smash...one can hope...

PlayerOneTyler

There's quite an array of popular characters I wouldn't mind seeing go either, like Olimar, Ice Climbers, ROB, G&W and Wolf. Does that mean I want to seem them go? No, I know there's people who enjoy these characters, and they're important to the roster and in representing Nintendo. Snake is important in his own way, if it hadn't been for him the likes of Pac-Man, Mega Man and Sonic wouldn't even have a chance of getting in today. Doesn't matter why he got in, he's here now, and he deserves it.
And that's your opinion, and I respect that! However, it's not the same as mine, and it doesn't change mine, which is okay! Snake is a good character fighting-wise, and he's got a unique moveset. It's just seeing him go, in my opinion, would not affect my outlook on the game. I view third party characters as very disposable, seeing as this is a fighting game that was originally designed to feature Nintendo first party all-stars.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
And that's your opinion, and I respect that! However, it's not the same as mine, and it doesn't change mine, which is okay! Snake is a good character fighting-wise, and he's got a unique moveset. It's just seeing him go, in my opinion, would not affect my outlook on the game. I view third party characters as very disposable, seeing as this is a fighting game that was originally designed to feature Nintendo first party all-stars.
Oh I wasn't trying to say your opinion is wrong, that's just the most ignorant thing someone can do. However, I just wanted to point out that there's certain principles that should make someone respect Snake's inclusion, regardless if you like playing him or not.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I've been speculating since 2008 as well, don't pull your elitism on me.
I wasn't. I'm just stating the facts of what I've seen. I've seen a 500 character Nintendo-only character list without a whiff of the Wii Fit Trainer.
Maybe I don't post as much as you, but I've read plenty of SSB4 discussion over the past 5 years. I'll agree, I've never seen Wii Fit Trainer posted anywhere. That doesn't mean someone couldn't suddenly guess it.
But still, the fact 3 characters were shown of the 6 shows how incredible this guess is. That in itself is a feat, which is why this is far from being deconfirmed.
Had his guess been posted a month or so ago, it could more easily be written off as speculation; the fact it happened a day before the reveal is telling. But again: some people win the lottery by buying a ticket the day before. There's always the chance it was a lucky last minute guess. Also, see: synchronicity. I know that's getting into the unexplainable metaphysical realm, but in my day I've experienced a great deal of synchronicity—the ability to pick up on information especially nearing an important date based around said info. Ehem, carry on..
He could have gotten the source from an insider, or he could be an insider, perhaps one he met in the LA area for E3. I've also very rarely seen someone say that the Miis and the Villager should be playable; it's usually one or the other. And as for the synchronicity, dude, I saw a video two days before the release someone guessed Paper Wario for the game, and he didn't guess anything besides that as crazy as the Wii Fit Trainer. That's pretty hard to get right.

PlayerOneTyler

That doesn't mean your opinion is right. Also, Snake is a very popular video game character. He's easily more popular than Mega Man, seeing as how his franchise has sold more copies of games with like 1/10th the amount of titles of Meg aMan! :laugh:
I can't stress this enough. Opinions are never right or wrong. It's an opinion. I never said my opinion is right and everyone else's is wrong. I don't know where you are getting this from.

volbound1700

Smash Master
My biggest issue with Snake is that he isn't a Nintendo Character. His franchise is with Sony.

Megaman, Sonic, and Pac-Man are currently putting all their games on Nintendo systems and supporting the company.

Crap, I would be ok with Metal Gear Solid Reps if they could at the very least even do ports of old games onto Nintendo system because I can understand they want to be on the best system up to date but the Wii could have easily run the original MGS.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
As far as Pac-Man goes, I've always loved the idea of Pac-Man being in Smash

I mean, some things are just simply too good to pass up. Pac-Man alongside Nintendo characters like Mario, Kirby, DK, Yoshi, Samus, and Fox and possibly other non-Nintendo icons too like Mega Man and Sonic? Come on now, that's once-in-a-lifetime type ****

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
^^^^^^^^^ The boxing gloves are clearly from Wii Sports, hence the similar graphics. Besides, Little Mac's gloves are green.
The Wii Sports gloves are of a different design:

The Wii Sports gloves has this white band that goes all around the glove and white around the lip of the glove.
Lil Mac's glove design is really close if not the same as the Villagers, when you compare them. They both have that white Velcro strip along the wrist.

The 2 positive things Lil Mac have going for him at this point are:
  1. The NeoGAF post
  2. The gloves are red as you pointed out

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I wasn't. I'm just stating the facts of what I've seen. I've seen a 500 character Nintendo-only character list without a whiff of the Wii Fit Trainer.

But still, the fact 3 characters were shown of the 6 shows how incredible this guess is. That in itself is a feat, which is why this is far from being deconfirmed.
Wii Fit Trainer is the only remarkable guess. Villager was an outside shot but still guessable enough, and Mega Man was eminently predictable.

I'd be really impressed if he specified the order of their reveal, as that would limit the likelihood that it's a guess, but as is it still could be just a very lucky guess.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Isn't punch-out one of the NES games playable in animal crossing?

That's where villager's gloves come from, not wii sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom