• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All newcomers were leaked along Little Mac, Pac Man and the Miis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I wasn't. I'm just stating the facts of what I've seen. I've seen a 500 character Nintendo-only character list without a whiff of the Wii Fit Trainer.

Lol who said he was being elitist? I'm reasonably certain the intent of him saying he's been speculating since 08 was to help him emphasize his point of how unexpected the idea of the Wii Fit Trainer being a playable character in is

Nah, you guys are right. Stupid move on my part. I interpreted that as, "I've been around for THIS long and I know this information BEST [better than you]."

Today's the last day of E3, right? I guess after today things will change a bit, considering Pac-Man, Little Mac, and Mii were purported to be shown during E3. We got an updated screenshot of WFT... at least the site's starting to crank. I wouldn't be surprised if they had intro videos for those other three, but opted to only show WFT after the unveil instead of unveiling six total characters. I'm more excited about seeing returning veterans right now than newcomers, strangely enough.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You just mistranslated what we said, that's all. Apology not accepted because it wasn't needed. ;) :p :laugh:
My biggest issue with Snake is that he isn't a Nintendo Character. His franchise is with Sony.

Megaman, Sonic, and Pac-Man are currently putting all their games on Nintendo systems and supporting the company.
Mega Man's last Nintendo console game was what, Mega Man 10 2010=??? Pac-man's was Pac-Man Party in 2010, right=??? Pac-Man's last Nintendo console game was the DS port of Pac-Man Party in 2011. Snake's was just last year with Snake Eater 3D.

Also, Snake isn't a Sony character anymore, as MGSV is slated for Microsoft consoles as well. Plus don't forget the Wii U debut menu hacking with the Yoshi franchise and Metal Gear franchise game signs, the former which is confirmed. Kojima's Sony love has also died down, hence more MGS games on multiple platforms. Also, Kojima probably isn't putting MGSV on the Wii U (if he isn't) because it's RAM is 2 GBs, compared to the Xbox dOne and PS4's 8 GB. And on top of that, I don't think Sakurai cares what Nintendo thinks too much.
I can't stress this enough. Opinions are never right or wrong. It's an opinion. I never said my opinion is right and everyone else's is wrong. I don't know where you are getting this from.
Yes, well you said he didn't fit and didn't work. He did fit, but in a different sort of way, which is why his appearance in Brawl was so great. He was a much needed spice up for a roster with stagnant characters and movesets for characters like Pit (who consequently has at least 3 or 4 new moves after he was awfully awkward in Brawl) and ROB.

Broodlaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Broodlaw
Switch FC
SW-0613-0942-5903
My biggest issue with Snake is that he isn't a Nintendo Character. His franchise is with Sony.

Megaman, Sonic, and Pac-Man are currently putting all their games on Nintendo systems and supporting the company.

Crap, I would be ok with Metal Gear Solid Reps if they could at the very least even do ports of old games onto Nintendo system because I can understand they want to be on the best system up to date but the Wii could have easily run the original MGS.
Well technically its Konami that Snake is with, and yes for a majority of the games Sony has had exclusive publishing rights, but over the past couple of years Microsoft has had success with Metal Gear, and also Metal Gear was originally a franchise for Nintendo before Metal Gear Solid got started. Irregardless I agree it would be fantastic to have Snake back in Smash since his debut went over very well.

Though with the leak if it is to be true, Little Mac will be awesome to finally be able to play as, it should of happened with Brawl and the teasing with him being an assist trophy was disappointing. Pac-Man could work really well if he is designed properly and given a good moveset, the way I look at it if Game and Watch works then why not Pac-Man? Miis though...not sold on that at all, I think its just a gimmick slot for the most part, it really depends on what Sakurai would do with that concept if it were to get really fleshed out or not.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Miis can be fun and you can always insert your favorite mii into the game to look like said favorite character not in Smash.

I understand MGS went often with the higher powered system but why not release ports of older games on Nintendo systems at the very least? You really don't have anything to do. The MG series has in general not shown any support for Nintendo since NES days while the other third party franchises being discussed have shown heavy support to the Wii era.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Somebody in Social claimed he thought Wii Fit could get a rep, and honestly given how popular Wii Fit is it's not outside the realm of possibility for one or two out Smash fans out of millions to guess that Wii Fit would get a rep. I do think that the rumor is quite possibly legit, but guessing WFT does not cement it as unassailable.
It does make this rumor come across as very likely. I didn't say it was definitely true. Also, so we know 2 people who guessed the character. 2 out of tens of thousands.
Mii would never be a skin for Villager. The movesets don't match up and Mii's model is too different.
Well the Mii was a skin/mask for the Villager in Animal Crossing: City Folk, so that's not necessarily true... in some context, at least.
I understand MGS went often with the higher powered system but why not release ports of older games on Nintendo systems at the very least? You really don't have anything to do. The MG series has in general not shown any support for Nintendo since NES days while the other third party franchises being discussed have shown heavy support to the Wii era.
-Ghost Babel was Game Boy exclusive.
-The Twin Snakes was a GameCube exclusive.
-Snake Eater 3D is a 3DS exclusive.
-Again, the debug Wii U menu with the MGS game dealio.
-MGS almost always pushing a console's boundaries, and the Wii's boundaries were barely further than the GameCube's.
-The fact the Wii U is a lot less easier to port games to than the PS4 or Xbox dONE due to it's systems being run completely differently.
-The Wii U has 1/4 the RAM (2 GB) as the Xbox dONE and PS4 (8 GB).

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
@Spire- Lol, don't sweat it, it's all good my G

Yeah, the last day of E3 is today

@Tuninator- He guessed all three of them correctly though, regardless of how impressive the guesses might have been individually. That's a pretty damn godly guess of his, provided they actually are guesses anyway and not insider info

As the saying goes, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts

Kef

Smash Apprentice
As far as Pac-Man goes, I've always loved the idea of Pac-Man being in Smash

I mean, some things are just simply too good to pass up. Pac-Man alongside Nintendo characters like Mario, Kirby, DK, Yoshi, Samus, and Fox and possibly other non-Nintendo icons too like Mega Man and Sonic? Come on now, that's once-in-a-lifetime type ****

This.

If Pac-Man is in, we could possibly get a game where you can have a 4 character fight between the Sonic the Hedgehog, Mario, Pac-Man, and Megaman. Let me repeat it. We could possibly get a game where you can have a 4 character fight between the Sonic the Hedgehog, Mario, Pac-Man, and Megaman. Yes, those 4 gaming icons in 1 game. Fighting.

And the Lloyd thing, he was one of those characters I've never played the game that he is in but he looked cool. He does cool and I don't doubt his game is amazing as well because of all of the popularity he has. But for Lloyd, he has to be more worthy than arguably the single most recognizable gaming icon in history. That's a hard one.

And with hopeful thinking, the Miis are not like a well established character in the game. What I mean by this is that he/she will not take place in the story of the game nor be really significant, but you still have the option of using a Mii just like you can in other games. Wii Fit Trainer grew a lot on me honestly, and I love the idea of her being in the game (hated ROB's inclusion, then loved the character). But the Miis? I don't even see them as characters.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Villager and Wii Fit Trainer seem to take a lot of Mii Potential away. Balloons, bowling ball, boxing gloves, athleticism (?). Maybe their unveil was a sign that Miis would not be in? I have a hard time believing they won't though; they've crept their way into so many Nintendo party games. Glad they've stayed out of Zelda completely!

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
Namco-Bandai is getting a rep almost 100%. That's going to happen and there are two characters that really stand out as potential inclusions: There's the classic character of Pacman. He's a video game legend, he actually has a surprising amount of moveset potential considering what he is and where he started, Pacman has been ported to everything ever, and it is true that his 3D model is a bit weird but they could take the G&W route and use a 2D version or they could spice up his modeling a bit. The other potential character is Yoshimitsu as he has an easily portable moveset (Swordcopter recovery for example) and represents two NB franchises (Soul Calibur and Tekken), and is familiar to the team that's helping design and build Smash Bros. I'd be absolutely fine with either or both characters.

If Snake leaves I'd like to see him replaced with, the more important to Nintendo history, Simon Belmont. I'd really prefer both though but that is getting the 3rd party list pretty high.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Mii getting into SMash isn't much of a surprise since it is now the face of Nintendo along with Mario. I had Mii in almost all my polls but not quite as confident with WFT now because that fills the Mii's role. Still kind of confident the Mii may make an appearance. (Miis are in Mario Kart, Olympics, NSMB and tons of other party games like Smash).

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The problem with Snake is

He really feels like a one-off character for the smash series.
So possibly like Mewtwo, Roy, Young Link, Pichu, and Dr. Mario=??? (although at least 2 and probably 3 of them were planned for Brawl) Also just because other fighting games have one-off characters doesn't mean smash will. Sakurai does things the opposite of other fighting games, and he breaks all the rules anyways. Remember, fighting game rules don't necessarily apply with Sakurao.
Like all the work they put in for his easter egg taunts, his reveal, his playstyle.....
He's not really someone who fits into the nintendo feel, though he worked really well in Brawl. Almost too well, can they really capture the same integration in another game?
What is "the Nintendo feel"=??? Even if there is one, Sonic and Mega Man don't adapt to the "Nintendo feel" either, especially Sonic.
I do hope he stays, but atm I think he'll be cut, as much as I hate that idea.
I realize it's a possibility, but no one can replace Snake. No one. He's too unique, which is the biggest reason why he should stay. It'd be literally more stupid than cutting Mewtwo, because unlike Mewtwo, his moveset actually worked. On top of that, adding new characters is a lot harder, more expensive, and time consuming than keeping old ones, especially since a lot of the textures for the 3DS characters look like Brawl imports, and since they reuse a lot of the same damage amount and they reuse the same frames.

Broodlaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Broodlaw
Switch FC
SW-0613-0942-5903
Namco-Bandai is getting a rep almost 100%. That's going to happen and there are two characters that really stand out as potential inclusions: There's the classic character of Pacman. He's a video game legend, he actually has a surprising amount of moveset potential considering what he is and where he started, Pacman has been ported to everything ever, and it is true that his 3D model is a bit weird but they could take the G&W route and use a 2D version or they could spice up his modeling a bit. The other potential character is Yoshimitsu as he has an easily portable moveset (Swordcopter recovery for example) and represents two NB franchises (Soul Calibur and Tekken), and is familiar to the team that's helping design and build Smash Bros. I'd be absolutely fine with either or both characters.

If Snake leaves I'd like to see him replaced with, the more important to Nintendo history, Simon Belmont. I'd really prefer both though but that is getting the 3rd party list pretty high.
Agreed with Simon Belmont, that would be awesome to have him replace Snake if it came to be, the potential for the moveset is already there, plus you could have a really pretty stage in Dracula's Castle. And yeah if its not Pac-Man getting in it would be pretty cool to see Yoshimitsu get in as well, if they could tone down Snake's violent tendancies to fit into Brawl it can definitely be done for Yoshimitsu as well.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Yes, well you said he didn't fit and didn't work. He did fit, but in a different sort of way, which is why his appearance in Brawl was so great. He was a much needed spice up for a roster with stagnant characters and movesets for characters like Pit (who consequently has at least 3 or 4 new moves after he was awfully awkward in Brawl) and ROB.
Yes, he fits in your opinion, which I don't think is wrong. You have your reasons, which are good ones, but they just don't change my stance. He just felt awkward to me being from a game directed towards an older audience, and how aesthetically different he seemed from the rest of the cast. One could argue that Metroid is targeted to an older audience as well, but it still has that Nintendo vibrancy and charm. I found Snake's moveset to be kinda boring and annoying (because of how slow the animations were), therefore was not particularly my favorite newcomer. Now, if they were to speed up his animations, I'd be more than happy to give him a second chance, but that doesn't change the way I feel about him not looking like he fits in aesthetically. Even if they don't change him, so be it. He isn't my least favorite. I just don't think Snake brought much to the table outside of the Metal Gear fanbase hype after the original trailer, and giving fans of other third party characters such as Sonic and Mega Man some hope.

EDIT: This has gone waaaay off topic. hahaha. Sorry, guys!

D

Deleted member

To be quite honest I'd like them to remove Jigglypuff and replace her with a different generation pokemon.

Pikachu Covering the 1st gen
Tyranatar for 2nd gen
Deoxys for 3rd gen could be interesting as he could swap between his 4 forms and really keep you opponents on there toes.
Lucario/Darkrai either or would be nice tbh.
Victini for 5th gen.
Mewtwos New form covers the 6th gen

And considering they've already got Pikachu done, Deoxys models from brawl, Lucario from brawl, and Mewtwos melee data: There really isn't that much work to make this work...and you'd be pleasing a wider branch of Pokemon fans.

Brawl had 5 first gen pokemon and one 4th gen....I wasn't pleased.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
@Spire- Lol, don't sweat it, it's all good my G

Yeah, the last day of E3 is today

@Tuninator- He guessed all three of them correctly though, regardless of how impressive the guesses might have been individually. That's a pretty damn godly guess of his, provided they actually are guesses anyway and not insider info

As the saying goes, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts
Again, it's only WFT that makes that prediction. It was practically riskier to not predict Mega Man than to predict him, and there certainly were people who expected Villager as well. It's an impressive prediction, sure, but it'd only be slightly less impressive if he predicted WFT on her own. WFT is the backbone supporting this claim.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
One red flag I have for this was he only said he had a source after the reveal. Most news sites will post something as a "rumor" if they can't verify the source.

It is possible he got a lucky guess. He made unlikely picks and was likely just picking somewhat relevant characters that people don't think about (like Wii Fit Trainer). I'm also skeptical of Sakurai adding Mii and Pac-Man. The latter because he said he isn't going to add any character and Pac-Man is more expected than wanted. It remains to be seen. They wont all be unveiled at E3 though.
How is it a red flag he publicly posted what he knew after he received confirmation that the information he was given was correct? Sal posted the characters hours before the trailer was even shown. His post is evidence that he knew about those characters before the trailer was shown. He took the responsible route and did not post unverified rumors on his website before there was some kind of indication that the information he had was true. The trailers confirmed that, and so he wrote his article.

How in the world is Wii Fit Trainer and Villager a lucky guess? For the past four years we thought Villager was an impossibility because Sakurai outright said he wouldn't work, and whatever Animal Crossing character did get mentioned now and then was relegated to Tom Nook or the occasional K.K. Slide; stop acting like this should have been obvious to us all, because it wasn't. And there was no guessing Wii Fit Trainer. If she wasn't even in the Super Smash Bros Roster maker which has crap like the Flipnote Frog and Kururin, do you really think he just sat there scouring the internet to try and come up with something? But to be quite honest your last statements about Mii and Pac-Man really tell me a lot of what I need to know about your position.
There a a lot of people that aren't as keen on third party characters. Megaman works because he's cool, has a lot of moves and some strong history with the company. A lot of people really wanted him too. But Pac-Man is none of that. He isn't really popular, he doesn't have cool moves and no real history with Nintendo. So it would feel like filler which is not what a third party character is suppose to do.
So that's why it's untrue, because Pac-Man doesn't fit your narrative of which characters are deserving.

Any other news site would have posted it as a rumor before "Insider sources tell me......." Even hedge the statement with "we are unsure of the validity of the source" or "What do you all think. Could this be true?" Instead, he says some unlikely predictions and only claims he had a sources after the reveal. That sounds kind of fishy.
So you'd rather him act like a complete fanboy like Zelda Informer or Gonintendo and post information that is not corroborated in any way? What he posted on NeoGAF hours before the Direct and what he wrote after did not change, he wasn't making it up as he was going along. We have his NeoGAF post that is time stamped and unedited that prove that much. Not only that, but other respectable members on GAF, and even our very own Hoots, have verified that Sal's source is legitimate. There are no questions about his validity. He's reliably leaked information in the past and has consistently been a reputable poster. I don't fault him for acting responsibly.
Look, people win the lottery. The chances of winning the lottery are far less than guessing 3/6 confirmed characters for Smash Bros. Considering he called Villager the "Animal Crossing Guy", I'd say he just got really lucky.

There's the off chance he did find out some info and posted it in a speculative manner, but I'm banking on luck here.
So because he specified Villager as "Animal Crossing Guy" he was just lucky?

You know what I see in this thread? A bunch of people who are hurt because characters they don't want and are contrary to their opinions of how characters should be selected are in the game. Look by no means am I a fan of Little Mac, Pac-Man or Mii; nor am I just blindly following some leak because its there, but at some point things stop being coincidence. This isn't some scrub GAF poster or 4chan we're talking about, this is a proven user. I'm all for being as skeptical as possible, but at this point all I'm seeing is agenda driven egos. Sorry.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
MGSV is coming out for Ps3/360,PS4/xONE.

No excuse for it to miss out on the Wii U.

Every metal gear that has come to Nintendo has been an updated port. Twin Sakes, 3D are nothing more than ports of games that have been released years prior.

I like that Snake is unique but my selfish stance is if Kojima can't get more of his games on Nintendo then he needs to go.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Wii Fit Trainer is the only remarkable guess. Villager was an outside shot but still guessable enough, and Mega Man was eminently predictable.
Yes, but getting all 3 of them is remarkable in and of itself. Most people on here only got 1 right, including people who guessed well more than 3.
I'd be really impressed if he specified the order of their reveal, as that would limit the likelihood that it's a guess, but as is it still could be just a very lucky guess.
Well, even if the order is wrong, it doesn't make it fake. But that doesn't mean it's not a really lucky guess, either. However, I think if Miis get confirmed, it's pretty much 99% confirmed, especially with the Villager.
Villager and Wii Fit Trainer seem to take a lot of Mii Potential away. Balloons, bowling ball, boxing gloves, athleticism (?). Maybe their unveil was a sign that Miis would not be in? I have a hard time believing they won't though; they've crept their way into so many Nintendo party games. Glad they've stayed out of Zelda completely!
Agreed, which is why if the Miis are a newcomer, I think this is 99% legit. And even if they're a Villager skin/mask, it's still very likely.

Broodlaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Broodlaw
Switch FC
SW-0613-0942-5903
To be quite honest I'd like them to remove Jigglypuff and replace her with a different generation pokemon.

Pikachu Covering the 1st gen
Tyranatar for 2nd gen
Deoxys for 3rd gen could be interesting as he could swap between his 4 forms and really keep you opponents on there toes.
Lucario/Darkrai either or would be nice tbh.
Victini for 5th gen.
Mewtwos New form covers the 6th gen

And considering they've already got Pikachu done, Deoxys models from brawl, Lucario from brawl, and Mewtwos melee data: There really isn't that much work to make this work...and you'd be pleasing a wider branch of Pokemon fans.

Brawl had 5 first gen pokemon and one 4th gen....I wasn't pleased.
Pokemon will get some good reps no though I wouldn't count on Jigglypuff getting axed, at this point she's as iconic as Pikachu in Smash games despite, well just being Jigglypuff. I really think the Pokemon trainer will either use 3rd Generation pokemon, just imagine the potential of Blaziken in a game like Smash; either that or 6th Gen just based on proximity. Deoxys would be really good as well, Zoraoak would work too though Deoxys fits the bill as the floaty stalky build like Mewtwo and Lucario in the past.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Again, it's only WFT that makes that prediction. It was practically riskier to not predict Mega Man than to predict him, and there certainly were people who expected Villager as well. It's an impressive prediction, sure, but it'd only be slightly less impressive if he predicted WFT on her own. WFT is the backbone supporting this claim.
Still looking at it from an individual standpoint pimpin

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Every metal gear that has come to Nintendo has been an updated port. Twin Sakes, 3D are nothing more than ports of games that have been released years prior.

I like that Snake is unique but my selfish stance is if Kojima can't get more of his games on Nintendo then he needs to go.
I actually agree. Even though they're friends, Sakurai did Kojima the favour of going through the monumental effort of including Snake in Smash, simply due to a request, and if Kojima can't even reciprocate by making a game coming to all other platforms also come to a Nintendo one, it's pretty much just avoiding Nintendo, which is the opposite of what Smash is about.

Ofc I'll hold my judgment until MGSV is actually confirmed to be coming or not coming to Wii U, but a series that's only given ports/remakes of its games to Nintendo for over ten years (and only two games) and is still avoiding release on Nintendo systems even after Smash (when it would have a new audience), shouldn't really be included in Smash imo.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
None of these characters excite me, but Wii Fit Trainer was completely out of the left field and nobody would have actually assumed she was going to be in. They might have joked about it, but... That's just too darn coincidental. Add that on with the Villager. Although not as far out of the left field, he wasn't a character that most would have predicted either. Megaman was more predictable, but that doesn't invalidate this list in the least.

I'm afraid it's probably true... =(

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
He just felt awkward to me being from a game directed towards an older audience, and how aesthetically different he seemed from the rest of the cast.
So Samus and Zero Suit Suit Samus isn't for an older audience=??? I guess killing space aliens doesn't count. Or is it the fact that Snake looks semi-realistic, which again, Samus beats that. Also, Smash Bros. has characters from franchises for all ages.
One could argue that Metroid is targeted to an older audience as well, but it still has that Nintendo vibrancy and charm.
It's a very dark franchise. Heck, even Zelda had some darkness to it, but Metroid is very dark. Not everything in smash is all child friendly, and besides that, Snake, like Samus, had his super mature stuff toned down.
I found Snake's moveset to be kinda boring and annoying (because of how slow the animations were), therefore was not particularly my favorite newcomer.
And I found ROB and Pit to have God awful movesets (the worst in smash history IMO), and I found Meta Knight to be a game breaker.
I just don't think Snake brought much to the table outside of the Metal Gear fanbase hype after the original trailer, and giving fans of other third party characters such as Sonic and Mega Man some hope.
He is the first zoning character, he's super unique, his moveset is awesome, and since smash bros is about characters who make you want to play the game, he makes people who want unique characters want to play the game.

The Wii U using a different kind of technology, and is harder to port to. Also, who said it isn't coming out for the Wii U down the line, or that we won't get another MGS title, as the Wii U debug menu hacking showed us=??? Besides, Snake's last appearance on a Nintendo console is more recent than Mega Man's or Pac-Man's. Also, I got a sneaking suspicion that MGSV (like Smash Wii U and 3DS) will be delayed, and that the 360 and PS3 versions might get canned (although not to ruffle a few feathers, but there never was 360 or PS version of Smash Wii U or 3DS in development). :chuckle:

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
Thats true he will still get in even tho you more or less just explained to me why you don't think he should get in (1) cause hes not sword user and (2) you don't like him and (3) you dont seem to think hes unique.
I want Zoroark and K.Rool in, they are not sword users either, so only two of your points were correct.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ugh....this thread is stupid now....aint we more than half way through the last day of E3? Have you lot noticed that? No chars are getting revealed today...i bet my wedding ring on it....

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The Wii Sports gloves are of a different design:

The Wii Sports gloves has this white band that goes all around the glove and white around the lip of the glove.
Lil Mac's glove design is really close if not the same as the Villagers, when you compare them. They both have that white Velcro strip along the wrist.
But still, the lighting on them is the same, and the position on the body is the same (although obviously the Miis in Wii Sports don't have arms).
Isn't punch-out one of the NES games playable in animal crossing?

That's where villager's gloves come from, not wii sports.
The gloves are stylized like the Wii Sports ones. Also, even if that' true, where does the bowling ball come from=??? Because I specifically remember Wii Sports having bowling balls. Unless that's from some old NES game from Animal Crossing, that pretty much confirms the boxing gloves are from Wii Sports. However, that doesn't mean the boxing gloves and boxing punches aren't inspired by Punch-Out, of course.

Spire

III
BRoomer
So because he specified Villager as "Animal Crossing Guy" he was just lucky?

You know what I see in this thread? A bunch of people who are hurt because characters they don't want and are contrary to their opinions of how characters should be selected are in the game. Look by no means am I a fan of Little Mac, Pac-Man or Mii; nor am I just blindly following some leak because its there, but at some point things stop being coincidence. This isn't some scrub GAF poster or 4chan we're talking about, this is a proven user. I'm all for being as skeptical as possible, but at this point all I'm seeing is agenda driven egos. Sorry.
On the contrary, I'm a-okay with everyone listed getting in, with Mii's the least exciting to me. Even if Pac-Man, Little Mac, and Mii make it, that brings the current roster up to 15 characters. We can 99% expect the return of:
  • Captain Falcon
  • Marth
  • Ness
  • Luigi
  • Peach
  • Yoshi
  • Zelda
  • Wario
That's 23 right there. Slightly less likely to return:
  • Olimar
  • Meta Knight
  • King Dedede
  • Falco
  • Wolf
  • Diddy Kong
  • Ice Climbers
  • Game & Watch
  • R.O.B.
  • Jigglypuff
  • Sheik
  • Lucas
  • Ike
  • Toon Link
  • Pokémon Trainer
  • Lucario
  • Zero Suit Samus
If they all make it (not likely), that would be 40. Undetermined/least likely probability of return:
  • Sonic
  • Snake
  • Mewtwo
  • Roy
  • Dr. Mario
  • Pichu
  • Young Link
And that would bring the current total (including Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Mii) to 47. Unless they're going for a 50+ roster, I would expect to see quite a number of cuts, like it or not. Everyone from the 2nd and 3rd tier lists are at risk. With a 50-character roster, that would mean with all returning veterans, we only get

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The gloves are stylized like the Wii Sports ones. Also, even if that' true, where does the bowling ball come from=??? Because I specifically remember Wii Sports having bowling balls. Unless that's from some old NES game from Animal Crossing, that pretty much confirms the boxing gloves are from Wii Sports. However, that doesn't mean the boxing gloves and boxing punches aren't inspired by Punch-Out, of course.
The bowling ball was (sort of) an item in AC, and the boxing gloves could either be representing Punch-Out (just not Little Mac) or the boxing theme from AC, because I really doubt they'd be from Wii Sports, as that has pretty much nothing to do with AC.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Yeah MGS actually has plenty of lighthearted moments within its series

It's pretty over-the-top too

Metroid on the other hand is virtually devoid of any humor and takes itself pretty seriously; I actually consider Metroid to be a much darker series than MGS

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Goshers, I already admitted to the rumor (takes a lot of courage really), but people still are denying.

It's now to be seen how the characters will be revealed now but a legit rumor like this is inevitable.

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
The reason I don't like Pac-Man is because he was a gaming icon, but that was 33 years ago. The current Pac-Man is just living on the name and his past legacy, no way the character would have been successful without the old arcade game, and even then nobody except for Namco Bandai fans knows anything about his newer games. It's the yellow featureless munching circle that's the gaming icon, not the guy with two eyes, arms, legs and a pinnochio nose.

If this rumor is true, which it looks like it is, Mega Man will be the only newcomer I'm happy with, the others rank from okay to "meh" to hate, Pac-Man and Mii being the ones I really don't want to see.
I love everything you just said. So much truth

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The bowling ball was (sort of) an item in AC, and the boxing gloves could either be representing Punch-Out (just not Little Mac) or the boxing theme from AC, because I really doubt they'd be from Wii Sports, as that has pretty much nothing to do with AC.
That's true. I forgot about the bowling ball. But even then, I don't remember you being able to carry it around, although I could be wrong.
wasn't there suppose 6 inaccessible videos on the smashbrosch on youtube before it began redirecting ppl to nintendo's YT page? If so then it might be safe to say they might close out E3 tomorrow with these 3 characters being unveiled and possibly demo'd like what sakurai did for megaman yesterday.
People were saying that there were upwards of 10 unlisted videos.
Crap, I wanna hear more about this information; to heck with the current topic!!! People, tell me more about this!!!
*ends boxing glove and Snake debate, and focuses on this one*

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Ugh....this thread is stupid now....aint we more than half way through the last day of E3? Have you lot noticed that? No chars are getting revealed today...i bet my wedding ring on it....
In LA, where E3 takes place, it's only about 9:00 AM.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, we got 3 sources confirming this now, 1 being a prominent guy on GameFAQs who revealed the MvC3 roster, the other a top guy at NeoGAF.
And that would bring the current total (including Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Mii) to 44. Unless they're going for a 50+ roster, I would expect to see quite a number of cuts, like it or not. Everyone from the 2nd and 3rd tier lists are at risk.
New characters are a lot harder to add than veterans. After all, with veterans, you can re-add the textures (notice that some of the Smash 3DS textures look like the Brawl ones but modified), re-use animations, you don't have to make a moveset (maybe a few moves here and there), and there's a lot less money, time, and balancing needed to be done because of that.

If you want proof of my theory, look at how the data for Dr. Mario, Roy, and Mewtwo (and even the rest of the Forbidden Seven), and they suggest at least the last two were supposed to be playable. Then consider Sonic was added late, and they were for whatever reason stopped in development.

On top of that, Sakurai flat out stated he thought the Brawl roster was great, including Snake and Sonic.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
It's a very dark franchise. Heck, even Zelda had some darkness to it, but Metroid is very dark. Not everything in smash is all child friendly, and besides that, Snake, like Samus, had his super mature stuff toned down.
I guess you're right about that. I don't know, it's just not how I envisioned the franchise to continue after the likes of Melee (which I would argue Pichu is worse than ROB and Pit combined). Maybe I'm just sour because I'm not a 3rd party fanatic. Hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom