• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social All Range Mode!

M@v

Subarashii!
Im pretty sure it is a retcon....they said it was a "reimagining" of the starfox 64 story....a suger coated way of saying its a remake. Did you see the treehouse level they played? it was basically corneria from 64, with enemies DIRECTLY RIPPED from 64. The only real difference was the all range mode fight at the end that wasn't a boss fight; just a big dogfight that included a walker portion. The first part was basicallly 64 though -_-

Last edited:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Im pretty sure it is a retcon....they said it was a "reimagining" of the starfox 64 story....a suger coated way of saying its a remake. Did you see the treehouse level they played? it was basically corneria from 64, with enemies DIRECTLY RIPPED from 64. The only real difference was the all range mode fight at the end that wasn't a boss fight; just a big dogfight that included a walker portion. The first part was basicallly 64 though -_-
Wasn't Metroid Zero Mission a reimagining of the first game as well? That wasn't a reboot of the series.
And yeah, that really annoyed me at first as I'm really just wanting a continuation with a whole new story more than anything for the series... Seeing the other levels, however, gave me a reason to not be entirely disappointed in this game. I like the differences~

I would help with the Fox matchup thing, but I'm sure there are far better Fox players here than me...

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Well if you're starting a game over you probably want to use shapes people are familiar with... Like New Super Mario Bros, where the first world may contain some similar designs with slight differences, but with extra gimmicks or power ups. Then for the rest of the parts it's mostly new.

Just saying, seeing only the first level is far too early to judge. If you did see the treehouse play Star Fox, there are more stuff to look at like Area 3 (second half), Zoness, Titania etc. Their terrestrial setting is still the same (Duh it's the same system), but the task/plot has changed quite a bit.

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
I'm more disappointed insofar as this is basically the fourth main series StarFox games if we're not counting Adventures and Command (while begrudingly counting Assault) and it's now the same story three times. Lylat Wars was a reimagining and this is a reimagining. Is there seriously only one story they're capable of telling within the StarFox universe? I doubt we'll see similar environments again considering StarWing to Lylat Wars but... I dunno. I have this nagging feeling the game is going to be too short, too repetitive and Nintendo are relying on it to be their blockbuster this Autumn which I'm scared it won't be.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Honestly, besides the fact that it's a retcon of the original story from scratch again, and by the fact we're NOT going to see Starfox Adventures (thank heavens) it gives them some elbow space for a sequel, which they would be insanely dumb to not make.

The other thing is this game has been in development for at least 2 known years, together with the fact it was tailored for the Wii U gives them ample opportunity to further expand and or milk the franchise the coming 2 years before the Nintendo NX which is announced next year and then likely released 1 year after that, as we usually see it with most consoles.

I firmly believe that it'll sell well, it may not be THE blockbuster for them, as to how they are treating mario maker, but it is at least going to attract all the old StarFox fans that own a Wii U to get it.
Personally, I'm okay with a retcon IF they do something with it, like say expand the universe after they get Andross and hint at Assault's Aparoid invasion.

M@v

Subarashii!
Also, I wonder if this means every starfox game up to this point will be officially non canon now? If so, RIP Star Fox Assault Arwing designs.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Also, I wonder if this means every starfox game up to this point will be officially non canon now? If so, RIP Star Fox Assault Arwing designs.
They'll probably just do a Zelda timeline for StarFox to "canonify" it, or it'll all be "What if's" with 64 as base

M@v

Subarashii!
You mean Zero as a base, since this game is going to be taking 64's place as 64 took the original's place.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
K, whatever I said. I just don't wanna have another SNES Star Fox where all its music is forever forgtten in the Star Fox universe...

Really like Assault's iteration of the Arwing.

I'd be okay with it being treated like a Zelda timeline.

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
StarWing has some of the best game soundtrack ever man. Would be really impressed if they top it. Kinda hoping there's a remix of Corneria/Titania/Venom in there somewhere...

M@v

Subarashii!
Starfox Zero needs Corneria and Space Armada remixes. And even though I thought Assault was an average to above average game, it has the best arwing/great fox designs by far. Not super crazy about the wolfens but they don't look bad by any means.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
Hey all, ksizzle of VitaminZK here. We have a video series detailing a breakdown on the latest patch and we recently released a video for various characters including Fox. Hope you enjoy!

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Hey all, ksizzle of VitaminZK here. We have a video series detailing a breakdown on the latest patch and we recently released a video for various characters including Fox. Hope you enjoy!
**** off Kelvin I already linked that in the video thread changelog, at least make it so it plays WHEN It's Fox's turn ya scrub.
Juri will never be in SF V and you know it

Also added Ksev videos, some pre 1.10 and some post

LMAO SHOVEL KNIGHT AMIIBO.... why the **** did they hire GameGrumps

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Yeah, all the clips from mainland for 15fps and all the ones from the most recent event (the Sheik vs Peach game) were pretty poor quality. It's jarring to go from Arikado's 480p clip to my 1080p clip for sure. Not really sure what I can do about it, though. Thanks =]

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Nah.

So..um, I did a thing... I very rarely share my uploads anywhere, but this is one of those rare times. I'm more proud of Part 2 honestly.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
^This stuff is actually really informative - I've just seen lots of people say how similar they were but nothig direct. Really interesting to see how much remained intact.

And now to shamelessly plug my own content, here's a montage I made of Fox plays from over the Summer! I hope you guys enjoy it =]

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Besides the parts that's obviously been patched. RIP jabjab shenanigans it's pretty cool I guess?

Did you speed the footage up a bit cause damn that was a lot of inputs

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
I had way more jab stuff but I wanted to only keep the stuff in that wasn't fully relying on it to be cool like the Diddy play.

Thanks for the... compliment? People say I play extremely quickly but I think it's necessary to play Fox's neutral at the oppressive rate required. it's also a problem cuz when I play someone like JMiller who can respond to speed it just fails completely. Thanks though =]

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
^This stuff is actually really informative - I've just seen lots of people say how similar they were but nothig direct. Really interesting to see how much remained intact.

And now to shamelessly plug my own content, here's a montage I made of Fox plays from over the Summer! I hope you guys enjoy it =]
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, sure is interesting...though depressing too. Someone please find a cart of this and dump it on the internet. (if one even exist) I've done my part of searching.

Also, nice Fox montage! Very skillful.

Last edited:

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer

@ Skarfelt Skarfelt Awesome montage you got there. That was some crazy combos
The footstool combo on Lucario looked pretty cool. Keep it up :)

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Rosalina is the bane of every character's existance.

I think Fox wins the matchup when Luma's not around, at least by some margin. That up air is always scary though.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Luma Uair is bonkers It has like 110-100 BASE knockback, dead Fox at 60

This is a MU you pick a high ceiling for D: Lylat and Dog Hunt are usually my CPs

AYE LMAO that call out on Twitch HAHA, sorry about that Skar :denzel:

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
I got lots of love on Twitch today haha, I was on the mic for like two minutes calling myself a fraud and the chat was all over that. Appreciated it, whoever it was <3

Thanks for all the kind words about the montage too, means a lot =]

I'm playing so fraud rn though, SDs and bad decisionsleft and right. Gotta keep a cleaner head.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
URRRGGGHHH I lost to the same guys I always lose to in the same fashion I always lose in. I don't feel I'm making ANY progress in this game while my mental game is still so bad =[

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
In a good mood, the collective fox mains of my region (Michigan), including Ksev, said I was the most technical fox in the region. Now I just need my neutral game to catch up :p

Foster J.

Smash Ace
In a good mood, the collective fox mains of my region (Michigan), including Ksev, said I was the most technical fox in the region. Now I just need my neutral game to catch up :p
Too much tech practice too little fighting! Get to it!

Also I have no idea what I just did.

Last edited:

Tenretsujin10

Smash Apprentice
You dragged the Captain down with Down-Air, then hit turnaround Up-Smash (you probably buffered the inputs to get it on the FAF). The combo did not look guaranteed at all, but the Captain was so nice to walk into you to let it happen :)

Last edited:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
star-fox-4-1.jpg
Looks like Fichina gonna be a Landmaster mission. :grin: Really hoping for multiple missions on a single planet.

Last edited:

Foster J.

Smash Ace
For some reason image wasn't showing for me until I tried replying to your post.

ALSO that Chopper lets a ROB descend. A ROB A FREAKING :4rob:

Top Bottom