• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate Costume and Mewtwo/Roy Lag

SSS

Smash Ace
So as you probably know, Mewtwo, Roy, and the new Alternate costumes all have a little yellow triangle on their character select portraits. The reason being, when it gets to "3 or 4 players" noticeable lag starts to occur. I've begun testing this.

Using the stage Final Destination, I tried out four sets of four player matches (with CPUs).
With Mewtwo[!], Lucario, Pikachu, and Jigglypuff, there was no noticeable lag.
With Mewtwo[!], Lucario, Pikachu, and Roy[!], there was no noticeable lag.
With Mewtwo[!], Mewtwo[!], Pikachu, and Roy[!], there was no noticeable lag.
With Mewtwo[!], Mewtwo[!], Roy[!], and Roy[!], there was a sudden GIANT leap in the amount of framerate lag.

I want to try other stages to see if certain stages are more prone to the lag than others. Final Destination is a simple stage, so it makes sense that 3 [!] characters wouldn't cause lag. However, many other stages might cause lag (particularly those with moving platforms).

As for the rules that need to be altered in tournaments until this lag problem is fixed?

FOR DOUBLES:
-No alternate costumes, just to stay on the safe side.
-Only 2 Clone Engine (read: Mewtwo/Roy) characters allowed in a doubles match.
-If Red Team wants Mewtwo/Roy, and Blue team wants Kirby/Ivysaur, then that's fine. No changes.
-If Red Team wants Mewtwo/Roy, and Blue team wants Roy/Roy, then both teams need to change one of their characters.
-If Red Team wants Mewtwo/Roy, and Blue team wants Roy/Kirby, then Red Team needs to change one of its characters.

I feel like in that last case, Red Team should be accommodated in some way. Perhaps choice of stagestrike pattern? The only problem is a team could SAY they want Mewtwo/Roy, when really they want Mewtwo/Kirby, just to get that small advantage?

This would also bring up strategies of say, Blue Team knows Red Team has a top-level Mewtwo/Roy team. So even though Blue Team's Kirby/Ivysaur team is better, they decide to go Kirby/Mewtwo just to force the other team to change.

I wouldn't want to ban the characters altogether, but at the same time it's sad to make players change, especially since that can lower the skill level being presented. I guess this just means that until the [!] characters are fixed, all of the Mewtwo/Roy teams out there will need a secondary team.

Thoughts?

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
With Mewtwo[!], Mewtwo[!], Pikachu, and Roy[!], there was no noticeable lag.
-If Red Team wants Mewtwo/Roy, and Blue team wants Roy/Kirby, then Red Team needs to change one of its characters.

Wait why? Doesn't 3 = no lag? So that should still be fine.

SSS

Smash Ace
Wait why? Doesn't 3 = no lag? So that should still be fine.
Because I think some stages still have lag on 3. I'm testing right now.

With FOUR, though, Warioware has no lag. Smashville, however, does, as does Dreamland. I'm thinking it might be related to the size of the stage. Warioware is very small. I thought it was that the stages with textures caused lag, but then Smashville started doing it, too.

Yoshi's Story only does it a little bit but still enough to be noticeable. Fountain of Dreams does it with 3, about the same amount Yoshi's Story does with 4.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
"AN IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION FOR 3-4 PLAYER FIGHTS
There is one minor but important issue that we have to discuss for competitive play. Due to the slightly-flawed model importer that we have to use – which we are currently working on replacing – new models including Roy, Mewtwo, and all new alt costumes have a higher tendency to create gameplay lag than Brawl’s original models despite utilizing similar polygon counts. This is not an issue in singles play in most cases but in doubles more than two new player models on screen at once can potentially create noticeable lag. Again, this is something that we’re actively working on addressing, we'll have more details on the specific instances of lag for Tournament Operators to look at and make judgment calls on rules soon. We apologize for this inconvenience and hope to have this resolved in future releases. In the meantime, we have included warning icons on each costume's character portrait that has the potential to induce any amount of lag for players and TOs. "

I'm pretty sure everyone already knows what you posted. And rules for tournaments are being discussed already in places like Reddit.

Although if you're doing an experiment to see where lag affects the most. By all means continue.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Final Destination is a simple stage, so it makes sense that 3 [!] characters wouldn't cause lag. However, many other stages might cause lag (particularly those with moving platforms).
Actually, FD has a very complex (and HUGE) background, and has one of the largest file sizes out of any stage, so it's probably more prone to lag than most other stages.

Impp

Smash Ace
I thought it has to do with different types of character models rather than the number of people playing as a modded character. Like if two people use Roy and two people use Mewtwo, that's only 2 different characters models, so I didn't think noticeable lag will happen. But I could be wrong.

Top Bottom