• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate Costume Thread

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
I'd love a Funky Kong costume. It could work pretty easily since Funky and D.K. have pretty much the same appearance, just different clothes.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
DK has many potential alts but I can't say any of them is "just right"

Closest would be the DK Jr. shirt, though I'm partial to boxing DK myself. (Thanks Project M!)

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I can see Punch-Out DK getting in. It's been referenced already by Little Mac's website art, so there's a good indicator. Maybe.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834

Highly unlikely, but Bink from Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga looks like DK, so...Dry DK?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd love a Funky Kong costume. It could work pretty easily since Funky and D.K. have pretty much the same appearance, just different clothes.
I can get behind that.

I think these could make for decent alternate costumes.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
On second thought, the boxing alt is pretty awful now that I tried using it.

The instances where DK DOESN'T close his fist (most attacks, pretty much) are really awkward. How do you open your hands wearing boxing gloves? I mean it looks great for the his jab (it's pretty a standard combination anyway) but why give boxing gloves to someone who doesn't box? It's stupid.

I'll take DK Jr.

Last edited:

Chaos Archangel

Smash Cadet
Sup guys, I figured we could start speculating on possible alternate costumes for DK. Unlike poor Diddy, DK has a wealth of potential alts. There's atleast two other members of the DK family that come to mind, so I'll start with what I think is the most likely, Funky Kong!:

Of course, it doesn't stop there. You can't spell swag without, Swanky Kong!:

OK. OK. so maybe you can. Moving on... Chunky Kong!:

Or they could get a bit more interesting and unexpected and pull from his villains, specifically the dreadlocked, er, Dread Kong (DK:JB):

Had to throw this one in because I was one of the few kids who used to watch the DK TV show. Hopefully this'd be more of a palette swap than the actual alt but the stache & combover of Bluster Kong must live on:

Thoughts? Anything I missed out on?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
We won't have alternate characters as alternate costumes. That would essentially cloning, and they'd just be alternate characters IE Toon Link/Roy. Not to mention that it's insulting to fans of either the original, or the costume'd character to do it.

Chaos Archangel

Smash Cadet
Was this confirmed?

And to be honest, I'm pretty certain almost all of those characters have absolutely NO chance of making it in. Having something like Funky Kong (or Swanky, hopefully) be an alt for DK doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to me, especially since they're pretty undeveloped and look EXACTLY like DK.

Annex

Smash Ace
Mario has had a Wario coloration every game, Luigi has had some Waluigi colors, Peach has had Daisy, Link, Pit, and Samus have had their dark versions, and Lucas had Claus colors. I don't think we'll get new costumes for clones though, but probably a recolor.
Super Kong is pretty much a given, but I think that'll be it.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
The problem with these aren't about what @ TheAnvil TheAnvil is stating...having recolorations to hint at other characters is all over Smash. The problem with these specific options are that all of the apes you mentioned typically stand upright, while Donkey Kong moves on all 4. Seeing Funky or Swanky or Chunky move on all 4s would look really odd to me.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
The problem with these aren't about what @ TheAnvil TheAnvil is stating...having recolorations to hint at other characters is all over Smash. The problem with these specific options are that all of the apes you mentioned typically stand upright, while Donkey Kong moves on all 4. Seeing Funky or Swanky or Chunky move on all 4s would look really odd to me.
Themed colours are an entirely different thing than having one character dress or "be" another.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Themed colours are an entirely different thing than having one character dress or "be" another.
I'm very well aware of that, thanks. I pretty much agreed with you for the most part...just stated that character-themed alternates aren't that weird. Just that those suggested in the OP don't work.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
DK's best suited alt:

Fits in with Little Mac too.
Disagreed. DK's Project M alt annoyed me with how much he ignored the pupose of boxing gloves. You don't slap people or clap with boxing gloves on, that's impossible, and it looks so awkward (and in all honestly it really bugs me). Ironically DK doesn't punch much in Smash, so it doesn't make sense anyway.

I'm not opposed to DK wearing boxing gloves at all, but with DK's animations and attacks in Smash? Yeah, no thanks.

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Super Kong is pretty much a given, but I think that'll be it.
You mean the white recolor from DKC: Returns? (which was taken directly from Brawl and has the exact same coloration as Super Kong from DKC: Returns) or something else entirely?

Annex

Smash Ace
You mean the white recolor from DKC: Returns? (which was taken directly from Brawl and has the exact same coloration as Super Kong from DKC: Returns) or something else entirely?
Except Super Kong has a blue tie and Brawl had a red one, but yeah, that.

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
What about a Donkey Kong Jr. Costume?

RareWare intended that our current DK is Donkey Kong Junior, while Retro Studios changed this to where Junior is Current DK's Father.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
What about a Donkey Kong Jr. Costume?

RareWare intended that our current DK is Donkey Kong Junior, while Retro Studios changed this to where Junior is Current DK's Father.
Actually rareware redesigned DK Jr to have a hat and shirt, Nintendo didn't like it, so they told them to either change the sprite or rename the character. They added a tail and named him Diddy Kong.

Later the stipulation was added that Cranky was the original DK from the original game, Jr is his son, and Jr's son is the current DK.

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
Originally they did, but around DK64's time they wanted DK to be Junior

"You're being far too highbrow for the likes of our readership. You also share the disconcerting Winky fetish that seems to be emerging from the woodwork at this late stage, I see. As far as I know, 'our' DK is the son of Cranky, which does indeed make him the original DK Jr. all grown up: so if you see Cranky referred to as DK's granddad anywhere, just cover your eyes and hum loudly until it goes away." -Rare
http://web.archive.org/web/20020805...ite/talk_to_us/scribes/aug25_99/aug25_99.html

But whichever be the case, I think it'd be a cool way to remember one of the classic games in the Donkey Kong Franchise.

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093
I think Dankey Kang is a must. I will be very disappointed if he doesn't at least come as an alt skin. Although he might have enough potential to be his own playable character.

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
I'd love a Funky Kong one skin! I agree it's the most likely, since Funky is literally just DK with different clothes.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Sakurai would be against it because he wants the characters to be true to themselves(HA HA HAHA YEAH RIGHT!). Sure, Funky was originally a bodyswap of Donkey, but Sakurai doesn't know that.

What I want is something original. I want donkey to look like a Mixed Martial Artist. I love the design of those gloves, and I think they would suit Donkey well.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Sakurai would be against it because he wants the characters to be true to themselves(HA HA HAHA YEAH RIGHT!). Sure, Funky was originally a bodyswap of Donkey, but Sakurai doesn't know that.

What I want is something original. I want donkey to look like a Mixed Martial Artist. I love the design of those gloves, and I think they would suit Donkey well.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121384840&postcount=8201

Sorry, that argument is dead. Lucina was added as a separate character because they decided to make a couple of differences, but Funky Kong would literally just be a DK with glasses, so I'd be absolutely surprised right now if Funky wasn't a skin of DK. Yes, Sakurai states it even includes names, they'd probably just change the character's name when the announcer calls them out.

Top Bottom