• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate costume unlocks in Smash 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
You can never have enough unlocks in Smash Bros. Something I would really love to see in this upcoming sequel would be alternate costumes. They did it for Wario in Brawl and it was great! You could unlock them by either playing or winning with a certain character a set number of times. Anyone have ideas how they should be unlocked or what the characters alternate costumes should look like?

Here are a few ideas of some great alternate costumes

1. Luigi as Mr. L

2. Kirby as Epic Yarn Kirby

3. Assuming King K. Rool is in then I like to see his Captain K. Rool persona as an alt.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I don't remember having to unlock Wario's costumes. You must be mistaken. However I thought at first that I unlocked the dark Link and dark metaknight skins by beating them in subspace mode. However this wa untrue but I wondered why DIDNT they include unlockable skins? That would be way funner to work towards then some trophy. So yeah if they do that whole character possessed by evil purple bugs thing again I would love it if they include their dark forms as playable skins. Especially since they were already designed and put into the game.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I don't remember having to unlock Wario's costumes. You must be mistaken. However I thought at first that I unlocked the dark Link and dark metaknight skins by beating them in subspace mode. However this wa untrue but I wondered why DIDNT they include unlockable skins? That would be way funner to work towards then some trophy. So yeah if they do that whole character possessed by evil purple bugs thing again I would love it if they include their dark forms as playable skins. Especially since they were already designed and put into the game.
O ya I didnt mean you had to unlock Wario's alt. I just meant they gave him an alt when really they can maybe try and give everyone an additonal costume/skin in the new Smash.

Yes i very much agree I would rather unlock alts after doing story or arcade then unlocking worthless trophys.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I immediately regret dissing trophies. How else might I learn of Nintendo's vast history? But anyway I hope they'll impliment more costume swaps rather than just color pallete swaps. I love how Jigglypuff and Pikachu get all dem crazy hats. In fact crazy hats in general are enough to beef up replayability for me.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The best costume for Luigi:

Also so people stop suggesting Saki's costume be Isa, because that is really dumb:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well the obvious one would be Doctor Mario but here's a few others.

Fox- James McCloud
Samus- Fusion Suit
Donkey Kong- Original Arcade DK
Pikachu- Raichu
Snake- Naked Snake
Sonic- Shadow/Silver/ anyone really.

Delgado

Smash Rookie
Well the obvious one would be Doctor Mario but here's a few others.

Fox- James McCloud
Samus- Fusion Suit
Donkey Kong- Original Arcade DK
Pikachu- Raichu
Snake- Naked Snake
Sonic- Shadow/Silver/ anyone really.
this would be awesome !

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
[COLLAPSE="I posted these a couple of months ago, feel free to check 'em out"]

[/COLLAPSE]

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
More alternate costumes is definitely something I want to see in this game.

Also, having to unlock them will give us more things to do on the game.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Alternate costumes have to be the same proportions as the default set, or it wouldn't work. I also don't like the idea if different characters: Raichu, Daisy, Dixie Kong, Dark Samus, etc. to be alternate costumes; it wouldn't be true to their character. Daisy doesn't float & Dark Samus's abilities & playstyle are different than Samus's. However since they resemble playable characters, I think they should just be a color swap.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Alternate costumes have to be the same proportions as the default set, or it wouldn't work. I also don't like the idea if different characters: Raichu, Daisy, Dixie Kong, Dark Samus, etc. to be alternate costumes; it wouldn't be true to their character. Daisy doesn't float & Dark Samus's abilities & playstyle are different than Samus's. However since they resemble playable characters, I think they should just be a color swap.
I' not sure. Look at some of the Alt costumes from Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom. We had Zero as X and all raging besides that seemed to work.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
You know what I just realized? Since Namco Bandai is working on this; Makers of TEKKEN AND SOUL CALIBUR....

Guys. Guys. We're getting costumes. We are TOTALLY getting costumes.

I am willing to bet $10 for it! It will probably be used as DLC too! c:

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I' not sure. Look at some of the Alt costumes from Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom. We had Zero as X and all raging besides that seemed to work.
It is a possibility, I just don't like it. I would be pissed off if Dark Samus ends up being a clone instead of a unique character.

:phone:

You know what I just realized? Since Namco Bandai is working on this; Makers of TEKKEN AND SOUL CALIBUR....

Guys. Guys. We're getting costumes. We are TOTALLY getting costumes.

I am willing to bet $10 for it! It will probably be used as DLC too! c:
This makes sense.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Falchion
I still love that list. MR. L IS SO FREAKING NEEDED!!! The only alternate costumes I would add would be Link's basic outfits in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. That and Zelda's and Sheik's Melee and Brawl looks returning (Sheik's Melee look without the extra hair preferably).

@ Onyx Oblivian
I've been saying that we could get different costume pieces for specific characters. Hats, shirts, pants, dresses, skirts, belts, arm bands, leg bands, shoes, and other such accessories and articles of clothing. Imagine how awesome it would be if you had a Pikachu with a helmet on, Ness' Mr. Saturn shirt, and a green band around its' tail! :chuckle:

Maybe we'll even get a color palette option for said costume pieces, as well as for various characters' clothing (and in some cases skin) colors! Like we could change Mario's red shirt to a dark shade of red, and his blue overalls to say silver! :chuckle: That would be pretty freaking awesome. Maybe we could even have different prints (kinda like some of Snake's camouflage). Plus let's be honest: We all want to play as Sonic with a different skin color. If you don't want to play as Sonic with Mario's colors, something is wrong with you! :rotfl:

As for alternate characters (like model swaps), the only thing I would be all for that with the Pokémon Trainer (not his Pokémon). It would be pretty sweet to see various Pokémon Trainers back there. Female trainers, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th Generation Trainers; just keep the Pokémon the same.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
^^^
Custom colors & costumes would be very nice.

Alternative pokemon could be female & have more hat options.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
These need to be in, although I do agree that they shouldn't change body proportions. Also the Epic Yarn ones wouldn't work with the normal set, it wouldn't even be conceivable. Fierce Deity Link would not work either, the sword is larger and he doesn't have a shield. Some others likely wouldn't work, but I'll stop there.

On the topic of getting costumes who are different characters, it is a really tough call. That is why I generally say that some alternate costumes should alter the characters set slightly, making it a form of customization, which is apparently going to be in the next Smash Bros. via the 3DS version. For example, a Roy skin for Marth would give flames to the attacks and alter the stats slightly. Giving Mario the Doc skin gives him capsules instead of fireballs, plus all of the stat changes. In this way, we could even allow for costumes that change proportions, because that would part of the point, customizing the character to your specifications.

Anyways, I always say this, but Zelda should definitely get the cloak she wears in Twilight Princess as an alternate costume.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
These need to be in, although I do agree that they shouldn't change body proportions. Also the Epic Yarn ones wouldn't work with the normal set, it wouldn't even be conceivable. Fierce Deity Link would not work either, the sword is larger and he doesn't have a shield. Some others likely wouldn't work, but I'll stop there.

On the topic of getting costumes who are different characters, it is a really tough call. That is why I generally say that some alternate costumes should alter the characters set slightly, making it a form of customization, which is apparently going to be in the next Smash Bros. via the 3DS version. For example, a Roy skin for Marth would give flames to the attacks and alter the stats slightly. Giving Mario the Doc skin gives him capsules instead of fireballs, plus all of the stat changes. In this way, we could even allow for costumes that change proportions, because that would part of the point, customizing the character to your specifications.

Anyways, I always say this, but Zelda should definitely get the cloak she wears in Twilight Princess as an alternate costume.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TylvUGJIi_w
Well said...

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I dont think alts should be different characters like
Peach alt Daisy
Pikachu alt Raichu

It should work more like
Samus alt Fushion Suit
Mega Man alt Mega Man X suit

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
They really need to give Pikachu more than 3 costumes this time. But yeah, more unlockable costumes would be nice.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One other big one no one mentioned yet

Meta Knight: Galacta Knight

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I personally would love to see alternate costumes as something that's unlockable in Smash 4 it was something that was sorely missing in Brawl and it's something I think that is in high demand. I would love to see some actual alternate costumes like Fusion Samus, Phazon suit Samus, Light suit Samus. Or like 8-bit Mario I think that would be a lot of fun there, or doctor Mario. There's lots of potential for alternate costumes. Anyway long story short alternate costumes are something that should have been in Brawl but weren't so lets see them in glorious HD in Super Smash Bros 4.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
They really need to give Pikachu more than 3 costumes this time. But yeah, more unlockable costumes would be nice.
Give Pikachu Pichu's gear, all of Pikachu's gear in Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl, (maybe Jigglypuff's, too).

Then, give us a color palette to make various colors for all of those things. Then, Pikabunz, Johnknight1, and all smashers (who love content) will be happy! :) :chuckle: ;) :cool: :bee: :grin: :awesome:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For some inputs...

Mario: Dr. Mario
Fox: James McCloud
Luigi: Mr. L
Captain Falcon: Blood Falcon
Peach: Sunshine Peach
Wario (WarioWare): Classic Wario
King K. Rool: Kaptain K. Rool
Ridley: Meta Ridley
Starfy: Starly

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
They could put costumes that would alter the gameplay a little bit (tweaking the characters' movesets a little bit).

This is kinda hard to explain for me (English is not my first language), so I will examplify, so you can get the idea.

Meta Knight -> Galacta Knight
Could be a little heavier and slower, but slightly stronger. Could have a different voice set and the character would be referred as Galacta Knight as long has he had the costume worn. He would be selected by selecting Meta Knight and then switch to Galacta Knight.

It could bring back clones without wasting a slot:
Mario -> Dr. Mario
Would be referred to as Dr. Mario, announcer included.
Some changes:
Neutral Special: Fireball -> Megavitamins
Down Special: FLUDD -> Dr. Tornado
Would be akin to Dr. Mario in Melee, playing more like Mario before Brawl.

Other examples could be:

Luigi -> Mr. L
Peach -> Daisy - could replace heart shaped FX to flower shaped FX, like Side special.
Bowser -> Dry Bowser - Different SFX for moves, using bone SFX, voice removal)
Link -> Toon Link or Fierce Deity Link - Pretty much obvious, no?
Ganondorf ->
Demise
Pit -> Dark Pit - Voice swap and a set of dark costumes (black as default, with dark red, green and blue for team battles)
Pikachu -> Pichu - see Dr. Mario
Roy -> Eliwood
Ike -> Greil
Black Knight ->
Zelgius
Isaac -> Matthew - from Golden Sun

Basically a character alter-ego, dark clone or father and son pair (with many similarities)could benefit from this kind of system... anyone agree? I think it would please many people. And it's nothing that hasn't done before in a fighting game, seriously.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@Frostwraith: Alternate outfits are only meant to be aesthetic. They should not affect character movesets in any way.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@Mario_and_Sonic_Guy: well, then be it... but I think some of my examples could qualify, even if they don't tweak the character?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Changing the fireballs to vitamins would be ok as long as they do the same damage and knockback.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Dr. Mario costume for Mario!

Shadow costume for Sonic since they both have similar moves.

Daisy for Peach!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Sir Aaron outfit for lucario.

Or atleast his hat, man! Why do jiggs and pika get to hog all the cool headgear? Hmf.
not a bad idea.

I think Toon Link should have his engineer outfit from Spirit Tracks, Snake with Old Snake costume from MGS4. Or Ike being able to choose between Path of Radiance look or Radiant Dawn look (and eventual Awakening attire, if he gets to be a DLC character there).

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Geno costume for yoshi :troll:

NOOOOO! haha

Anyway I think alternate costumes should be unlocked by playing an arcade playthrough on atleast normal difficulty and winning like 20 matches with a character. It would be alot of work seeing how the roster will atleast be 40+ but unlocking is all part of the fun...

Chico113

Smash Apprentice
Okay, but if they are released as dlc, i won't pay for it. nintendo downloads are tied to the console instead of the account so if it breaks....oh boy.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I don't think different clothes would be entirely impossible. What with Jigglypuffs variety of hats. And pikachu's multiple head accessories. I mean did they actually go and animate completely seperate models for the versions of those characters with hats?

bombers14

Smash Apprentice
The colors of skins should start of the same but not like skin types.
BOWSER- Dry Bowserbut I also think dry bowser could have his own character since he has different abilities.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I don't think different clothes would be entirely impossible. What with Jigglypuffs variety of hats. And pikachu's multiple head accessories. I mean did they actually go and animate completely seperate models for the versions of those characters with hats?
You know, I always wonder why those two never got palette color like everyone else. I would rather have a Pikachu with red fur, than one with a baseball cap.

I did like Jigglypuff's Melee Headband Ribbon, though.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Its obvious that nintendo COULD of done this in brawl, just look how wario turned out? But they probably ran outta time at the last minute. Anyhow i am fully supportive of this idea.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I got one for DK, Diddy, and (if she's in) Dixie: Golden Kongs. In DKCR, buying Banana Juice from Cranky allows the Kongs to take more damage as they're coated in gold. How could this work in Smash? They could have the option to have their Golden Kong appearance whenever they get a Metal Box item. All the player has to do is unlock the option after beating an Event Match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom