• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I a PC? Or a Mac?

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I can't decide which is best for me.

Windows is targetted by Viruses and Bad stuff. Mac is less targeted.
It also turns out that windows cost more money than macbooks despite the savings.

But a windows laptop has more options than macbook.
And windows supports more things I don't know of.

Give me your options and Details!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What are you planning to do with the laptop? Travel much? Is battery life important to you?

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I don't really travel from place to place and Battery life is very important to me.

I also like to play games and try to make video game commentary videos.
I can use a Happauge HD PVR to record games and post them on youtube.

I like multi-tasking as well.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You're ****ed. To date there is no laptop with outstanding battery life capable of playing games, etc. to any respectable level. You'll have to sacrifice one for the other.

Macbooks are known for being pretty much amazing at battery life. Unfortunately, their hardware selection is somewhat limited, and since it's a Mac it has all the software library of, well, a Mac. ~8-9 hours battery time doing nothing but web browsing.

PCs obviously have a better variety of software, and their open-box setup means you can probably order a laptop with enough power to do everything you want, but it'll come at the cost of significant battery time. ~4-5 hours battery time doing nothing but web browsing, ~1-2 hours doing more intensive stuff.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Unless you have specific reasons for needing to spend double on your hardware and lock yourself out of being able to use windows software, just get a PC.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I forgot that I hate viruses and I'd also want to know which Anti-Virus is better. Excludes Norton, AVG, and MSE.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
If you hate viruses so much, I say that you should get a PC and dual-boot with some distribution of Linux (preferably Ubuntu), but that's just me.

Also, Malwarebytes is a good scanner, but you might still want something else for a firewall.

Edit: Also, how will a windows end up costing more than a mac?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah, ditto. For what it's worth, everything with a citation is true. [1]

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
The argument is probably that you will replace your PC twice as fast or something, so you're really paying double.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
macs rarely go for below list price whereas windows machines frequently do.

i recommend the lenovo x220. battery life is upgradable to 20+ hours if you get the slab battery attachment, plenty of processing power, IPS screen. Only downside is graphics capabilities i think.

other good value alternatives based on your description include the hp envy 14, alienware m11x (you can find this pretty cheap if you look around)

tbh viruses and stuff are only an issue for people our age if you're an idiot. be careful about your torrents and find a good pr0n site and you'll be ok.

edit: also, PCWorld. lol.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Don't buy an HP. Ever.

They are always the shiniest looking machines, but I PROMISE you they will rip you off on the warranty. They have really shoddy engineering practices and a corrupt business model designed to steal from the consumers.

If I were you, I'd be looking at Acers or Asus. They both have good engineering, especially Asus. You pay a little bit more for them than for HPs but you actually get what you're told you're getting, whereas HP subsidizes those lower prices by ripping you off when the machine overheats and cooks your graphics chip.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I don't think I'm getting dell either.

Toshiba is probably the best browser out there. But what annoys me is the cursor pad texture.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't remember whether Toshiba or Sony marked up the prices of their laptops more, lol.

Top Bottom