• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the only one enjoying Brawl's wifi?

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
I love Super Smash Bros., but during my years of playing Melee I was very limited with who I could play against most of the time, usually just a few siblings and maybe a friend or two. It was fun, but it was very funneled.

So now with Brawl being online I can easily and regularally match up with friends and opponents and play against a wide group of people. I've joined this small forum where fellow brawlers can post, have their friend codes easily accessible in signatures, easily communicate between matches by live text or voice chat, and organize ~16-man tournaments every weekend, some serious with no items and some more casual than that.

While of course lag is sometimes an issue with far distances or a crappy connection, most of the time lag is not very bad at all and with practice I can adapt around the slight delay and fight very well. Sometimes green or yellow connections will have no noticable lag whatsoever and those are really great. I use the Wii's wireless adaptar (with my router channel set to 1) and most of the time, my ability to fight is not signifigantly hindered by the small amount of lag.

And there's motivation and reason for me to fight. I'm apparently above average and can clobber any less experienced fighters, there is definitely a skill ladder here. While combos are very limited, there is a definite ability to control the field and edge guard your opponents. In turn, there are opponents that evenly match me and some that destroy me regularally in brawls, so there's motivation for me to practice and improve. And even against lesser skilled players I can switch out to one of my secondary characters to even the skill gap out and practice some more. Serious battles with a learning curve and skill ladder can form even without the perfect framerate of offline.

Almost all I see here is a lot of complaining... but with a good online community, the desire to enter in a few friend codes now and then (which takes about ten seconds max), and completely ignoring the "With Anyone" option, I've been able to circumvent most of Smash online's terrible flaws and have thoroughly enjoyed online smashing for the past month. I wonder how I survived so long in Melee without being able to fight so many different opponents and playstyles, this is truly great.

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice
I love everything I can bear in the system, and that's basically the essential things. Player versus player in configured rules.

It's not that people don't like it, but that there are so many things that exist that were executed poorly that overall reduces the "quality" of the system. With Anyone is a stunning example of what could've been better with a few minor tweaks that don't seem mind-blowingly hard to implement as stuff like Rotation and Masterpieces.

Veysey

Smash Cadet
I would enjoy it as I'm in a similar situation that you've described but sadly, my lag usually isn't too bad but my button delay is easily bad enough to defeat me. A friend of mine was visiting from cross-province earlier this month (someone I TRY to play pretty regularly) and he was absolutely appalled by the button delay. To put it simply... most matches, you get thrown off the side and you jump+upB or whatever but all you do is plummet to your death. Upon respawn, your character jumps and up+B... yup... it's that bad.

Although I had 1 match with no lag and about .5 second button delay. Completely tolerable and easily playable. I just wish all my matches were like that. Oh and just to say, I've only seen green twice. I usually see red =(

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
I think people overdo how bad Brawl's online play is. I mean, it barely qualifies as basic online, and With Anyone sucks. But I've got fifty people on my friends list and have only ever lagged with about five of them at most. Sure, you don't get voice chat, you don't get leaderboards, but you get to play Brawl online. Works for me.

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
I would enjoy it as I'm in a similar situation that you've described but sadly, my lag usually isn't too bad but my button delay is easily bad enough to defeat me. A friend of mine was visiting from cross-province earlier this month (someone I TRY to play pretty regularly) and he was absolutely appalled by the button delay. To put it simply... most matches, you get thrown off the side and you jump+upB or whatever but all you do is plummet to your death. Upon respawn, your character jumps and up+B... yup... it's that bad.

Although I had 1 match with no lag and about .5 second button delay. Completely tolerable and easily playable. I just wish all my matches were like that. Oh and just to say, I've only seen green twice. I usually see red =(
Well generally (and when I wrote this) I consider actual framerate lag and hidden imput lag to be the same thing: lag. In fact sometimes between matches against the same guy, the type of lag will shift from some reason from smooth with imput lag to choppy with perfect response time. It's like the game will either choose one or the other.

So your problem is that typically your (or your opponent's) internet connection sucks, which brings in the imput lag. My only advise to fix this would be to play people closer or follow any of the other multiple of threads here on how to improve your connection. I often only have to deal with around .5 seconds of imput lag or less, having more is certainly a problem but not really Smash Bros' fault (other than not providing servers and forcing your connection to be good).

Also I know that Brawl's online is very lame and limited, sometimes in ridiculously ways. I know and admit this, and avoid With Anyone matches. However even with this I've been able to have hours upon hours of good fun that I wouldn't be able to have anywhere else, and that's the point I'm trying to make. This place can get really depressing sometimes, some people forget you can still actually play Smash with your friends across the internet.

Bone64

Smash Cadet
Your not the only one, I love Brawl's Wi-Fi too.

It sometimes kicks me out but who cares, nothing is perfect.

Brawl's Wi-Fi is very simple.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
The wifi isn't fun for me at all, the button lag remove any sense of control.

Perhaps I played too much Melee with perfect frame timing, but the Wifi just no fun for me at all.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I love it when i had melee none of my friends played it or a gathering of friends usually incorperated going out and getting drunk so no games. So the online play is a great pluse for me and i dont have bad lag so i'm good to go when it comes to the online play.

Dragonoise

Smash Apprentice
Lag isn't too bad for me most of the time, so I'm enjoying it too. Sure, wifi could have been much improved upon, but it's better than nothing.

Besides, it allows me to play with a lot of different people--something I wasn't able to do before, so that's definitely a plus.

Chamiso

Smash Cadet
I usually don't have much problems at all with online so I enjoy it even the with anyone option I can usually get matches with none/to tolerable lag.

MidniteBlaze

Smash Apprentice
The place I currently reside at is Coral Springs,
I enjoy it since I can battle friends that are no longer local and battle against random people out there in the world. Spectating I find fun as well. It's funny to bet on someone you know should win and then see them lose because the person using them sucks with the character.

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
I enjoy it, And I'd gladly fight you :D
I would, but it looks like you're in Colorado. I'm in South Carolina. I guess we could, but I have a feeling the lag would not be good. ;)

P.S. That is the ugliest winking smiley I've ever seen.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
The majority of my matches are on wifi because i got no competition around here. I do have a bunch of friends that do free for alls with items and stuff and I love that part of the game too but sometimes you just want some straight up stiff competion

I think im probably one of the most frequent users of the friend finder on here and I got some great 1v1s with minimal lag(I only play within a few states)

I have to strongly disagree that the online isnt competitive at all, for me its the ONLY competitive. Theres some good people in the friend finder its just a matter of making sure your close enough so it doesnt lag, and if you are close enough, IT DOESNT LAG (speaking for myself I understand yours might)

Ya the with anyone couldve been better yadda yadda yadda, but really i just like online for some good 1v1 practice and by using the tools like the friend finder and other websites I have had a great experience with brawl online.

J18

Smash Journeyman
well it's definitely better then nothing, but it could've been a helluva lot better.

not that i'm actually getting matches online, i like it a lot more.

SullyHasAGun

Smash Rookie
I love the wi-fi potential. I am trying to get people attention on convenient ways of getting friend codes. Swapping PMs back and forth on the forum is a little less convenient then having people online ready to play brawl in one location.

I proposed a Ventrilo server, but I do not know how many people are familiar with that. I think that would work quite well as a Who is Available for play list. Anyone familiar with Vent at all?

Veysey

Smash Cadet
[...]
So your problem is that typically your (or your opponent's) internet connection sucks, which brings in the imput lag. My only advise to fix this would be to play people closer or follow any of the other multiple of threads here on how to improve your connection. I often only have to deal with around .5 seconds of imput lag or less, having more is certainly a problem but not really Smash Bros' fault (other than not providing servers and forcing your connection to be good).
[...]
*short version in last paragraph*

Heh... trust me, I've done everything you can think of to remedy my issues...

- used different routers
- upgraded my internet package
- replaced my modem
- port-forwarding then DMZ enabled after that didn't make a difference (obviously setting static IP on the Wii and all that)
- made a 'signal antenna' (to direct the signal towards the Wii)
- moved Wii right beside router
- Bought a lan adapter
- tried various routers again
- tried running a straight line from the modem
- compared to other close living friends with the same service provider and package... even had one play my game online. None of them experience the same problems.

And lately I've been monitoring my Wiis dl/ul/ping via speedtest. My computers are stable (always holding steady dl/ul and ping) while my Wii is all over the place... gets anywhere from 5% to 20% of my usual connection depending on how it feels. (Usually around 10% which is 500ish dl 100ish ul)

Also, I've been doing tests with my computers/360 as well but they remain ever stable.

I'm not saying Smash IS the problem... if I was to put money on it, I'd say there is something up with my Wii... possibly some first gen problem that mostly went unnoticed because of the lack of online games? Of course I can't find any info on the subject of what card the Wii uses and whether its been updated in the past in newer models... can't think of any way for me to just check if mine is defective either (short of buying another Wii which I wont do)

Of course Nintendo just sort of scratched their head and fed me some bs response that didn't help in the matter at all when I asked for info on the subject (of course I'd be surprised if the person who responded even knew what I was asking about).

Anyways... I'm sure I'd love online if I could use it... but to summarize all of that - I've done all I could short of buying a new Wii and my internet/routers should NOT be the issue.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
*short version in last paragraph*

Heh... trust me, I've done everything you can think of to remedy my issues...

- used different routers
- upgraded my internet package
- replaced my modem
- port-forwarding then DMZ enabled after that didn't make a difference (obviously setting static IP on the Wii and all that)
- made a 'signal antenna' (to direct the signal towards the Wii)
- moved Wii right beside router
- Bought a lan adapter
- tried various routers again
- tried running a straight line from the modem
- compared to other close living friends with the same service provider and package... even had one play my game online. None of them experience the same problems.

And lately I've been monitoring my Wiis dl/ul/ping via speedtest. My computers are stable (always holding steady dl/ul and ping) while my Wii is all over the place... gets anywhere from 5% to 20% of my usual connection depending on how it feels. (Usually around 10% which is 500ish dl 100ish ul)

Also, I've been doing tests with my computers/360 as well but they remain ever stable.

I'm not saying Smash IS the problem... if I was to put money on it, I'd say there is something up with my Wii... possibly some first gen problem that mostly went unnoticed because of the lack of online games? Of course I can't find any info on the subject of what card the Wii uses and whether its been updated in the past in newer models... can't think of any way for me to just check if mine is defective either (short of buying another Wii which I wont do)

Of course Nintendo just sort of scratched their head and fed me some bs response that didn't help in the matter at all when I asked for info on the subject (of course I'd be surprised if the person who responded even knew what I was asking about).

Anyways... I'm sure I'd love online if I could use it... but to summarize all of that - I've done all I could short of buying a new Wii and my internet/routers should NOT be the issue.
Theres nothign you can do abotu the lag online, i have the best isp for my area, and i have played peopel who have the same connection, and who only live maybe 20 mins away from me, yet i still get delay...i guess it is still my fault though i did BUY the game right?

mzink*

Smash Ace
i really enjoy online play, the button delay does get to me but not enough that i dislike online play.

Browny

Smash Hater
i think online mode is fantastic, friend code matches are awesome and provided you go to any active brawl forum its incredibly easy to get 64 active people on your list. in australia where the PAL version hasnt even come out yet i have at least 4-5 people online at peak times and it never takes long to get into a match. despite the lag, which is the players fault, many games are perfectly playable and competition is great.

although i do hate the noobs that plague it... for every 1 decent player on my list theres 3-4 others who do nothing but pikachu dsmash + thunder of wolf blaster + fsmash. I get the feeling online isnt making me any better of a player. with the slight lag i can exploit things like dins fire and lucarios aura sphere such that the enemy will get hit by it every time, and when i play against good players certain tricks like smashing them the instant they climb up a ledge works far more often than it would normally.

So i can practice against level 9's and exploit thier predictable recoveries or practice on wifi and get cheap kills which would never normally work. meh, luckily my uni has local tourneys.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I like it. I have some fun matches with friends and it's always fun to play new people. If the lag was fixed, it would be perfect.

nicksaninja

Smash Rookie
I enjoy the wifi. There's always going to be something that can be done to improve it, but what brawl has is fine for me. It took me a while to get use to theslight lag before my character moves, but after that it's fine.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
I like the WiFi. Surprisingly, I think With Anyone matches are kind of fun. The lag never really is too bad for me, so there's really nothing for me to hate on.

Swil

Smash Apprentice
It works for what it is. I would rather play wifi than fight CPU's, but you're never going to get frame perfect true high level play online. The only thing on wifi that annoys me is when people start abusing button delay and lag. Using tons of moves that would get them punished to hell in offline play, but are much harder to punish properly in lag. Spamming moves that once again would never work in offline.

Essentially I hate it when people start abusing the online delay and start playing in a way that would get there *** kicked if delay was not present. Even in delay and lag I still try to keep my smash game as auhentic as I can trying to play and use techniques that would actually be viable in a real match instead blasting from 1 end of the stage to the next with Wolf Forward Smash.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Its not really that bad, especially in FC matches. The farthest ive played with no to minimal lag is from here, NY, to Las Vegas, which is good

Ama

Smash Rookie
I love Super Smash Bros., but during my years of playing Melee I was very limited with who I could play against most of the time, usually just a few siblings and maybe a friend or two. It was fun, but it was very funneled.

So now with Brawl being online I can easily and regularally match up with friends and opponents and play against a wide group of people. I've joined this small forum where fellow brawlers can post, have their friend codes easily accessible in signatures, easily communicate between matches by live text or voice chat, and organize ~16-man tournaments every weekend, some serious with no items and some more casual than that.

While of course lag is sometimes an issue with far distances or a crappy connection, most of the time lag is not very bad at all and with practice I can adapt around the slight delay and fight very well. Sometimes green or yellow connections will have no noticable lag whatsoever and those are really great. I use the Wii's wireless adaptar (with my router channel set to 1) and most of the time, my ability to fight is not signifigantly hindered by the small amount of lag.

And there's motivation and reason for me to fight. I'm apparently above average and can clobber any less experienced fighters, there is definitely a skill ladder here. While combos are very limited, there is a definite ability to control the field and edge guard your opponents. In turn, there are opponents that evenly match me and some that destroy me regularally in brawls, so there's motivation for me to practice and improve. And even against lesser skilled players I can switch out to one of my secondary characters to even the skill gap out and practice some more. Serious battles with a learning curve and skill ladder can form even without the perfect framerate of offline.

Almost all I see here is a lot of complaining... but with a good online community, the desire to enter in a few friend codes now and then (which takes about ten seconds max), and completely ignoring the "With Anyone" option, I've been able to circumvent most of Smash online's terrible flaws and have thoroughly enjoyed online smashing for the past month. I wonder how I survived so long in Melee without being able to fight so many different opponents and playstyles, this is truly great.

i suppose but sometimes button delay is a *** but most times u wont really notice the slow down but i doubt it will improve but its fun to enjoy :) all i can really say

Shanky

Smash Cadet
I enjoy it, mostly because of this forum.

Seriously, without the Friend Finder, which is amazing, With Anyone would get old so fast. I play with anyone every once and a while for some brainless free-for-alls, but the opportunity to play good people (and most people on this forum are pretty decent) is awesome. I mean, I love playing with my buddies, but they're pretty terrible, and even at a local "tournament" at my uni most everyone bar one or two players are baaaad.

So I'm pretty grateful for online, although I wish it was more customizable (1v1 with anyone option, team battle with anyone playable for 2 people on the same wii, and a simple "challenge" button on the friends list)

Top Bottom