• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the only one who hates battlefield for Ness?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Well, I always thought it was a bad stage. I have no control over pKT there since the platforms being everywhere eats my thunder.

Also, there seems to be less room for aerials. Whenver I have someone in the air, I can trick them into airdodging to punish, but on Battlefield, people always land and sheild.

Ness also relies on grabs and the uneven terrain makes his grabgame a bit more difficult.

If you guys like it, how so? Do you adjust your playstyle compared to playing on FD? If so, how?

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
PKT juggling works very well because it's hard to reach Ness quickly if he's under the platforms.
PKT2 is crappy on this stage, though.

Fredd

Smash Apprentice
From a Lucas perspective, I`d have to agree with Conda.
PK Thunder juggling does work quite well.
I know for a fact Lucas`s Up Smash can hit opponents standing on two of the lowest floating platforms.
Can Ness`s yo-yo do the same?

Masky

Smash Master
Yup, it can.

Smashville and Yoshi's Island are Ness's two best neutrals imo. Smashville's moving platform lets you do retreating PKT spam. And Yoshi's Island's top platform lets you cancel any PKT spam quickly since it is so low. Also, the way it is tilted helps you get out of chain-release grabs sometimes.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
And you can SHHPKF there!

See, what I hate about Battlefield is that people land on the platforms all the time and can shield anyrhing from below including PKT and usmashes.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
What I hate about battlefield is that I have problems going through platforms. It's just weird, otherwise I think it's a good stage for Ness. I think yoshi's is the worst neutral for Ness as sometimes you can't charge u/d-smash on the ground and everything is titled. Did I mention the support ghost and shy guys eat my thunder?

Masky

Smash Master
Shy guys are a plus, since they let you cancel PKT in the middle of the air ;)

But yeah, there are definitely bad things about Yoshi's Island too. Like sometimes PK Fire hits the floor if you use it in the wrong place.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
My favs are Isle delfino and FD

Support ghosts I assume can be annoying, but I honestly haven't had my spike stopped because of one. I have been saved by one in a Ness ditto however. It looked amazing really lol.

Anyways, back to battlefield, I also hate when you aerial someone on the platform, they shield, then fly off the platform. It just annoys me how I cannot follow up. If it was on flat ground, I would have DIed backwards then followed up with a yo-yo or PKF.

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
I like Skyworld. I guess it's because everybody hates going there. That, and I try to use the breakable platforms to my advantage.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I honestly hate it.

Ness cannot recovery there at all. When the stage is stone, he gets easily trapped on the underside, and because o his unique recovery move, it makes landing on that small moving platform difficult.

When the stage is cloudy, he cant sweetspot.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I knew it would be. Anthing with a solid roof has always been and is banned.

Back to attlefield peoples please. I raelly wanna know how to play there more effectively since my friends always choose it or some other stage with a lot of annoying platforms.

Masky

Smash Master
Use the platforms to your advantage. PK Thunder can go up through them and they it's harder for them to get to you through the platforms. If they happen to be standing on a platform, just keep bombarding them with aerials from below since there's not much they can do to retaliate, as long as you don't end the aerial assault next to them.

Oh yeah, and Ness can send his PKT through the stage to do a PKT2 if you're standing near the edge of Battlefield.

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
I too do not like battlefield for Ness. His hotboxes are just way to precise, unlike Lucas who is a giant disjointed box waiting for someone to run head first into him. The one thing I do like about the platforms though is that Ness can jump through the platforms with his forward air, one of his best moves, im sure all Ness users and mainers know why. Depending on the character your facing though, and how you use it, his yo yo can be a great attack on platforms.

Overall, my Ness at least, plays better on simple, flat stages, like Final Dest or Smashville

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
I seem to **** on battlefield. I absolutely hate the stage though and the people I play with are aware of it. Whenever I'm D3 or Zelda I just suck on Battlefield, but when I pick Ness I absolutely ****. It's odd, perhaps because i don't use PKT all that much, which i've been trying to fix because after reading some topics apparently it's helpful.

Kaze127

Smash Rookie
BattleField was where i beat my first challenger with ness :p
some kid who claims to have gotten 99% on GH3's "through fire and flames"
He was an ike player (like a lot of noobs). He was easilly PKT juggled but i didnt even dare try a PKT2 while standing on the stage. but other than juggling, PKF to throw, or sometimes PKF to FSmash work great. and my favorite thing to do, abuse fair!!! lol

BTW this is my first post <('.'<) GO KIRBY <( '.' )> GO KIRBY (>'.')>

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Personally i like battlefield, bcuz it is a stage in which i can exploit how great ness' aerial game is, spam the hell out of Nair & Fair, the only bad thing about it that i found was that it was harder to hit with pk fire which is an awesome combo starter. Plus the edge doesn't gimp ness badly like FD, unless you shoot into it at like point blank then the odd time he bouces off.

Masky

Smash Master
I take back what I said. Yoshi's Island is a terrible stage for Ness. ):

GutsyBat

Smash Rookie
I like battlefield for the reason that it allows Ness to set up Aerials easier. If they are on a platform, its a lot easier to hit them. Shielding isnt that much of a problem because Ness's fair's range.

Battlefield and Animal Crossing are my two favorite.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Battlefield is about a million times better with Lucas than it is with Ness. Something you might try is standing below the first level platform, sending PKT1 through the platform and off the screen to the right/left. Your opponent will often come to try and punish you thinking you made a mistake to which you respond with PKT2 in the face. My favorite change for Brawl is that the camera no longer follows your thunder and every once in a while you can use that to your advantage. But yeah I definetly agree it's not Ness's best stage. I always go Lucas.

GhosTim14

Smash Cadet
I hate Battlefield. MY brother plays a Decent lucario and he always does the stupid dair THROUGH the platforms which sux. Also its hard to pk Jump etc b/c the platforms stop the pkfire if he is on the ground.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Well it is good to know that many of you are completely ill favored towards BattleField. I know now where one must go to really get under your skin.

Honestly though, once you adjust your game to BF, it becomes an exceptional level for Ness. A LOT of PKT mindgames as well as yo yo dashing up smashes make a scary individual to approach when he is at the very bottom.

Let's not forget that fast fall from a full Fair, if adjusted correctly not only pushes them JUST far away, but if you land it right, you are on the platform, and the sparks distance your opponent so that when you pkfire, it nails them dead on! Usually, they won't expect it from something like this, so by doing it then spiking them quickly, it's an easy kill.

Gindler

Smash Champion
OMG battlefield is my least favorite neutral with any of my characters since it interrupts air game and I always prefer the air over the ground. But as far as ness goes, Smashville is a close second cause sometimes when i go for a pkt2 the moving platform eats it when I didn't even know it was there. Also one time that stupid balloon ate my pkt when i was trying to recover resulting in death by balloon "/

_clinton

Smash Master
Well I love BF with Ness...but I can't play worth **** on FD ^_^

but to be fair BF is really the only stage I'm good at...

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Ness is a character who has to adapt different strategy to different stages. I think Battlefield forces Ness to play a less tech heavy game. A lot of his advanced tech stuff like PK jumps, PKT2 tricks etc. don't work well there because of the platforms. On Battlefield Ness has to play a little more basic, going for single hits and catching techs on the ledge. Stuff like SH Nair, DJ Dair works well too, as Ness can land on the top platforms and not be vulnerable on the way down. Platforms also give you more options to recover with PKT2. Also, PKFlash is nice to use on people standing on platforms.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
battlefield, definitely one of my favorite stages regardless of what characters. I tend to PK Flash Careless players that land of the platforms, they tend to shield the PK Flash (I mean who wants to be hit with it anyways), then they fall on their backs on the lowest level. Then of course, jablocks towards the edge then finishes with the bat.
Ness attacks.
SSMMMMMAAASSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!!
The careless smash player takes 28 damage. The careless smash player becomes tame.
Ness obtains 38 exp!

Battlefield and ness' uair and fair works all too good for me on this stage, as well as PKT 1..
Fair off the edge below the stage works great since there's that slight reversed incline on the edge.
Also for some strange reason, I tend to get more meteor kills on this stage.

Gindler

Smash Champion
True I do tend to get more meteor kills on battlefield and haven't figured out why...hmmm...and what's this jablock bat? is if just double A then flick the c-stick?

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
True I do tend to get more meteor kills on battlefield and haven't figured out why...hmmm...and what's this jablock bat? is if just double A then flick the c-stick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a56_AsrpaoA

Watch the vid. If anything, this tech is purely situational, but its easy to pull off on beginner players. I do it randomly on advanced players when I get the opportunity to do so...

The_NZA

Smash Lord
BF is really nice for Ness. The pkt juggling as everyone else mentioned is great. The way the curve slops to the edge makes thundering to get to the edge really easy. There is enough room for all of your aerial game and doing up airs here is pretty frequent, and ness has a nasty uair as far as combo potential goes.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
ALso, pkflash is useless. Unless you link it with a jablock I guess. Prove me wrong if you dont believe.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
PK Flash is a good special, Idk what you are talking about.

See, what I hate is that everyone thinks that it HAS to be charged. Why? I find it most useful UNCHARGED as it has range, priority, and littl to no lag which can even be cancelled. PK Flash lag cancel, yes it exists.

And CHookay, that PK Flash to jab lock thing sounds amazing. I've gotta try that out.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
No, they dont get hit by PK FLash. THey shield it and then they slide off the platform causing them to fall on their backs allowing a jab lock sinc they most likely wont see that coming and tech.

If they tech, yes it is useless, but people land hard SOMETIMES.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Use it in the air and if you hit the ground at the right time, the lag is cut.

I know a LOT of advanced Ness techniques that you and many other probably dont and Im making a list of them soon.

Top Bottom