• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the only one...

Kazzar

Smash Rookie
Who plays a large number of characters comfortably?

My friends always give me **** because I don't have a main. Take my friend john for example, he mains Pika and seconds Link. Or my friend joe, who mains toon and seconds samus.

I can play snake, G&W, falco, marth, olimar, lucario, wario, and meta knight all at about the same level, and my friends get pissed because they say "you need someone who you're really good at, then another person who you can play equally or almost as good which you can switch too"

Lixivium

Smash Champion
That's nothing to brag or be ashamed about.

I play a different character every match, Brawl is so limited as it is, it'd be too boring for me to stick with one character for too long.

I've played against people who use one character and one character only, in both Melee and Brawl, and frankly I don't know how they can stand the monotony.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Nah your not the only one. I've switched mains twice since the game was released, but I still play competitively with friends with around 6 characters. I think the game is a lot more fun when you can play a handful of characters effectively, instead of using teh same character over and over again.

Laurster

Smash Cadet
i play alot of people well (more than i used to in melee) but dont REALLY play any at a high level if im honest.. MAYBE toon but thats all..

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I play it just right as well. When you main Kirby, you have to main everybody sooner or latter. But you can always main random though. :p

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
No, you most certainly aren't. Due to the lack of a lot of advanced techniques it's more easy to adapt to a new character. The same general strategies can apply, you just have to play smart and if you understand the base of gameplay it is not a hard transition.

P-Wubbs

Smash Apprentice
I know where you are coming from. When you play with the same group of people and they are always playing the same characters, it gets really boring. Even if you are having good matches, eventually, you just get tired of facing Marth or whoever they choose. Besides, you would want to spread yourself around anyway as you may find that you adapt better to a character later. I have switched mains several times in each release depending on the style of the previous main I had to play. Some lend themselves to others.

Cookiez

Smash Ace
*Weak laughter*... I really hate it when threads start with "Am I the only one?" Because the answer in 99% of cases is always no. In Brawl, for example I find it much more simple to adapt to each character's playing style then Melee.

JNS

Smash Cadet
i also switch cahrachters compulsively while in friendly matches,rarely using the same cahrachter in consecutive matches.I say i can Main Half the roster.

Though if money is involved i usually just use a select few charachters

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Like you I can play very many characters comfortably but I still main wolf and lucario. When playing casually I play a wide array of characters and do fairly well but if I want to get competitive I turn to my mains.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people I think are pretty good with at least a handful of characters

Characters I am profficient with
Ike

Characters I am good with
Toon Link

Characters I can play competiently
Zero Suit Samus
Marth

Characters I can't play tos ave my life
Yoshi
Warior

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's harder to become really good as many characters than if you concentrate solely on a smaller number (1-3) characters. This is just how it is.

If it works well for you, then have at it.

Crookedstep

Smash Rookie
I don't consider myself bad with any character, but I wouldn't say I'm good with all of them either. There are just some tricks and tactics that are universal that will get you through even if you never use a certain character.

IkarusChild

Smash Cadet
I completely understand.
i !@##es me of when people do that.
i mean, isant it a GOOD thing to have a verity!

Oi Kyon

Smash Journeyman
I still can't decide on who I want, but I already limited myself to using 8 characters. But I still prefer to be albe to use a couple more than 1 for variety.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
You may good enough with a lot of characters. BUT in order to get better I think its you need to choose one to master and a second to make up for anything the other does not have. Just an opinion though.

Agent 47

Smash Apprentice
yah i'm kind of in the same boat as u, but mario is definitely my main. i can use a variety of chars pretty well and i like to have a rotation of chars for matches.

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
I dont see the point in having a main unless you know in the future you will be participating in a major tournament, as playing consistently with one character will obviously give you a better chance at success in that tournament.

If you're not, why have a main? Why limit yourself to one character? What is the point?

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Seeing as how I use the characters I like (not for their playstyle, but for their characters)...it was inevitable that I'd end up using a big amount of characters. I'd say Toon Link is my main character, and the four (or six?) Pokemon characters are my secondaries.

mzink*

Smash Ace
eh im pretty good with a good amount of characters, i do have a main tho once in a while it will change. i like switchin it up sometimes and learnin a new character. my next challenge is King Dedede!

~Krystal~

True American Heroine

My friends always give me **** because I don't have a main. Take my friend john for example, he mains Pika and seconds Link. Or my friend joe, who mains toon and seconds samus.

I can play snake, G&W, falco, marth, olimar, lucario, wario, and meta knight all at about the same level, and my friends get pissed because they say "you need someone who you're really good at, then another person who you can play equally or almost as good which you can switch too"
They're just jealous. Keep maining random and you will be a mastah!

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.

I've always had 1-3 'mains', but my philosophy/personal goal in Smash is to be proficient with every character. Certain characters I play EXTREMELY rarely just to say I play them (DK, Link, Mewtwo) but I try to use everyone else.

Group 1 (Will perform exceedingly well with these characters)

Toon Link (MAIN)
Wario (2nd)
Zelda, Pit, Luigi, R.O.B.
---------------
Group 2 (Will perform very well with these characters)

Mr. G&W, Ness, Marth, Lucas, Snake, Peach, Ike, Pikachu
---------------
Group 3 (Will perform well with these characters)

Olimar, Ice Climbers, Kirby, Diddy, Fox, Falco, C. Falcon
---------------
Group 4 (May perform well, would prefer not to use these characters)

Mario, Meta Knight, Poketore, Jiggs, Samus, Dedede
---------------
Group 5 (Rarely use these characters)

Wolf, Sonic, Link, DK, Lucario, Yoshi, Ganon

Cheap pop for Wario as he is insane.

Tachita

Smash Cadet
Well as most of my friends are casual we play FFA and I choose random, with the only one I cant win is with Marth, its weird I thought he was a lot better, oh and Pikachu I never chose that bloody vermin

But in serious 1v1 battles I chose Yoshi (my main), Lucario (He is like a pimped version of Mewtwo, he's awsome) and Sheik

I used to main Peach also but her second jump became so crappy I can't play decent with her anymore

smashtrainee

Smash Rookie
you're not the only one.i play with meta knight,wolf,link,marth,kirby and shiek comfortably.
i think having a main doesn't give you much variety.

Top Bottom