• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amazing ledge trick

Velox

Smash Ace
What it is: When Falcon is hanging onto the edge, you can ledge hop (no aerial), waveland back off the stage (as if you were going to go back to edge hog someone), then immediatly double jump before you regrab the edge of the stage, then land a knee or whatever onto the stage. Just watch some of his videos, he does it all the time (I'm to lazy to go find a video example...)

Why it's useful: It fakes people out into thinking your are going to ledge hop an aerial on the first ledgehop, so if they're Marth they'll miss a f-smash, then you follow up with the second ledge hop (although on this one you're not actually grabing the ledge, so no invincibility frames) and knee the Marth in the face.

You can further mix this up by doing several wavelands.

You won't get f-smashed out of this, because you barely even go onto the stage with the first ledge hop. Plus the Marth or whatever that is edge guarding you, will usually never get close enough to where their f-smash will reach you when you're hanging onto the ledge, usually they'll put themselves in a position further away, where they can still f-smash you out of your ledge hops.

So the next Marth that tries to be gay with you, and tries to bait you into a ledge hop, act like you feel for the bait, then knee them in the face.

This truly is a gem in the rough, that would even greatly help G-Reg/SS/other top Falcons out (I hope they read this, I guarentee they'd start using it). It really does work great against good people. This is a huge addition to any Falcon's edge game. I've seen Isai do similar tricks, but not really getting the full effect out of it.

Of course credit goes to G@BE for figuring this out, I did not invent it, but I get the benefits all the time.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
ya lol sorry man this is mad old skool... it's used by almost all falcon players. even clod zero uses it :p its seen in the dbr combo vidz quite a bit.

and the reason it isnt used that much is bc its a bad move if your opponent is any good at reading u or edguarding, if youre hit out of it your **** recovery will like guarantee ur death.

Velox

Smash Ace
this trick is old news and most falcons do it. i dont main falcon and i do it. close this thread please
Show me videos of "most falcons" doing it.

Most Falcons don't do it, presumably, because they do not know about it.

Close the thread? Even if it is known (let me remind you, this is a possibility, but it's not widly known), it would still do many people good to see it and reply.

Oh, and quit being a ***. Technically, if I'm not mistaken, telling mods things like "close this thread" or "this kinda thing does not belong here" is actually mentioned in the rules of the site as being a bad thing.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Watch Evolution by DBR, easily one of the most popular combo videos out there. Clod Zero does this, and not just from a ledge. I knew about this well over a year ago so if you want to credit G@be for using it more often than anyone you know then go ahead. It is a good fake out, especially since Falcon can jump in pretty far with his invincibility frames. All I'm saying is, it's good, I'm glad you brought it back to light for some new players but don't give credit where credit isn't due. Nothing against G@be i'm sure he is a great player but he certainly didn't invent this.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
try this: do that ledge hop, but do a perfect waveland onto the upper platform. i call that the isai ledge trick lol, ss does it too, i don't know who did it first

Velox

Smash Ace
petoo0, my bad, now that I re-read what I said earlier, I sound like a total ***, my bad, I'm just taking my anger out on people who post useless remarks like "close this thread" or "this doesn't belong here" on you. I assure you, it had nothing to do with the possiblity of this already being known though, I could seriously care less either way.

This is seriously already known? Wtf, I see all kinds of opportunites for G-Reg/SS/etc. to do this with huge success and it's always passed up, not even once do they do it in any important matches... Well, hopefully it's more popular now anyways.

petoo0

Smash Ace
that trick is a simple mind game and it cant be punished. I play ganon...and i play with silent spectre often since i go to school in nor cal 15 min away from where he lives. every time he does it i jab his nuts and he dies cause he loses his jump. the trick works as a mind game and there is way better ways for falcon to rise up from the ledge that's why you don't see it. but it's old and common

rocko1

Smash Rookie
well the problem is if you are hit doing it, you've lost your double jump, also there are better options, like just nairing off the edge rite away and using ur invincibility frames. Also if you dont fake them out with it...then u may be in trouble. A lot of ppl know about this, but not too many pros use it because its kinda slow compared to other options.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
it has about the same effect as just ledgehopping a knee. any edgegaurding move will still hit you anyway, and you don't have you're invicibility in either case. It's ok to use if you suspect it will work, but i don't suggest using it frequently. (like the WTMJRWP, it's really good, but gets predictable after a bit).

Hax

Smash Champion
i actually find this very useful.. especially when you stomp them into a reverse knee. ^_^ it's also great on stages like battlefield where you can waveland onto the platform.

hey petoo0, do you mind posting some better ways for falcon to get back on stage from the ledge? i'm working on my falcon in that department. =P

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
hey petoo0, do you mind posting some better ways for falcon to get back on stage from the ledge? i'm working on my falcon in that department. =P

well if you're looking for variation beyond ledgehopping then a random ledge attack works nicely sometimes, or just jump up. I also see in videos sometimes a simple walk up to shield hold.

petoo0

Smash Ace
i actually find this very useful.. especially when you stomp them into a reverse knee. ^_^ it's also great on stages like battlefield where you can waveland onto the platform.

all depends on the character and the situation. wave dashing onto the stage behind opponent is awesome. you can wave dash on into an f smash and that just owns. waveland into a grab also that is good because it is fast. you catch then off guard. the Waveland back forth thing is good every now and then. also unless you catch them by surprise by jumping up with an aerial quickly once you grab the ledge, always infinite edge hog like drop down and jump up over and over again make them wonder.

Kick

Smash Apprentice
the trick is old, but its nice to have a refresher. i know it and dont do it, so seeing it reminds me. thanks velox for bringing it up again. people who complain just need to relax and get off the ritalin

Top Bottom