• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Olimar Spacing, Mindgame, etc. Guide. To be updated a lot

keeper

Smash Champion
An Olimar Spacing, Mindgame, Positional, and Approach Guide

-Preface-
I word things badly as I usually just think them. It's actually kind of hard to write a guide for a game like Smash.

--Introduction--
Welcome to what I hope will be an enjoyable and successful guide that I do plan to finish and expand. The aim of this guide is expand your thoughts on what you are doing with Olimar other than just doing stuff when they are at the right spot. Consider this a close source guide for Olimar that doesn't involve "HAO DO EYE BEET DEM." I consider brawl one big tech chase. Don't question my methods.

--Approaches--
Olimar has decent approaches, but not only that, he has the ability to destroy approaches. I actually consider those approaches, just passive ones.

List time now... You can do the following
-Be passive with tosses and wait for them to grab, more on this later.
-Running Shield-Grab.
-Passive, C-Sticked, finished fairs mixed with tosses.
-Fake pressure to give yourself ground.
-Or anything that you know you can out range, out prioritize or their moves.

Olimar has an amazing defensive game. I'd like you all to get used to it.

-Baiting-
Pikmin tossing. Is baiting. Do it. You can toss Pikmin out of hops, and give them the option to either avoid the Pikmin and buy you some time to slowly go to them. You can predict the DI and do a pivot grab. Hooked and anchored, I don't know why I call it that, I just do. Honestly, I do endorse using a stream of grabs as a fake out or to make yourself open to abuse them rushing. Kind of like ninjutsu. You make one step the wrong way on purpose to make your next prediction easier. You have to think.

--Spacing--
When your opponent is on the ledge consider their options: Ledgehop, roll, jump, attack, standard get up.

Say they are on the right side of FD. I'll try to make a graph. Say the general roll up is three dashes. 20 dashes across=FD

#=you &=them on the ledge

----------------#--&

Consider the following. You have over 70% of the stage behind you. You have the advantage. If they roll up, you can easily dsmash them and initiate it before they have the chance to dodge or shield. It is probably their worst option to do. If they hop, you can do a running usmash and catch them if they do not air dodge, and if they do it doesn't matter anyway, just be careful, you have multiple options form that really. Chain, running usmash, SHuair or SHfair. If they ledgehop, you're too far away to attack, you can use an fsmash or chain or even just take a step back and still have favorable spacing. BY THE WAY, I recommend having a red or yellow pikmin at the head of your line for all of this, if you reconsider it, you'll see why.

Cheers,
keeper

Kickin' it Olimar since release. You can never change characters. "LOLimar."

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
Wait, I'm slow. Can you explain this?

"Honestly, I do endorse using a stream of grabs as a fake out or to make yourself open to abuse them rushing."

Do you mean grabbing over and over in front of you so they will try to rush you? And then you can pivot grab? Or something?

=0

keeper

Smash Champion
Wait, I'm slow. Can you explain this?

"Honestly, I do endorse using a stream of grabs as a fake out or to make yourself open to abuse them rushing."

Do you mean grabbing over and over in front of you so they will try to rush you? And then you can pivot grab? Or something?

=0
Just like, sometimes I'll just sit there using grabs even if they are far away. Mostly just because it's fun and I've had people run at me and get grabbed or run at me and try to attack and I could just shield it or dodge. It's really just a stupid yet sometimes effective way to get people to get impatient. This is all assuming they don't have a projectile or can't set something up (Diddy could set up his bananas or Snake could set a C4 and/or mine).

M3zm3r1z3

Smash Apprentice
yeah I think what he's trying to say is people who like to rush or are really aggressive are easily grabbed

keeper

Smash Champion
Run past their shield and pivot grab. >:3

Olimar mindgames are so funny, lol.
It's a decent one, unless you're playing a character with a fast attack or if they aren't stupid.

What you said works great for when they drop down and try to quickly shield and you pop under them and on the other side and boom with a blue back throw. Fun stuff...

Top Bottom