• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Unhealthy Amount of Negativity

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRR2b23

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4498-3108
Alright, so I've been sitting back and watching how people have reacted to their first real in-depth look at gameplay in the new smash game, and I must say that I am completely and utterly disgusted with the amount of negative reception people in this community are giving to the game before it is even released. In both the Chicago and Wisconsin smash facebook groups, I have seen almost overwhelming amounts of "This is Brawl 2.0" or "X still sucks." And on this site we're already seeing threads pop up such as "I'm not impressed" which were formed solely on this negative aspect. And you know what? I would be willing to bet that nearly all of these people will be buying the game for at least one of the systems that they own. All this negativity really reflects horribly on us as a community.

To all the Melee diehards out there: No, the game isn't Melee 2.0, but did anybody honestly expect it to be? The way I see it, the core flaws that were present in Brawl have been dealt with pretty convincingly. Random tripping is gone, hitstun has been restored allowing for combos to be performed, and I honestly think that the new ledge mechanics will offer some new interesting gameplay styles.

Whether any of us think Smash 4 is going to be a phenomenal game or a horrible game competitively really can't be decided right now, as like I said before, the game isn't out yet. All we can do to find out about this is show our support for this new smash game and give it a chance when it does come out. Who knows, the people who are right now saying that the game looks terrible may be taking their words right back. Do the right thing people, don't hate on a game that hasn't been given it's due diligence.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I think people should have the freedom to express what they think about what they have played so far. Whether their opinions are positive or negative anyone should be able to say what they want as long as it is respectful. People's opinions shouldn't be quashed whether positive or negative.

That being said, this game looks pretty good to me.

The "not impressed" topic is not in any way disrespectful imo.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I see nothing wrong with criticizing what we've seen so far as long as it's done in an objective manner.

With that being said I saw this coming from a mile away. We already have Melee vs Brawl, Melee vs PM, and Brawl vs PM... With Smash Wii U and 3DS thrown into the mix things are only going to get more complicated in terms of keeping the competitive community on the same page. I mean hell Smash 4 isn't even out yet and we've already seen our fair share of Smash Wii U vs Smash 3DS arguments.

The best way for us as a community to move forward is to respect each other's preferences and just play whatever we want to play without criticism, or else things will start getting ugly and it'll be Brawl vs Melee all over again... maybe even worse.

Last edited:

HRR2b23

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4498-3108
I think people should have the freedom to express what they think about what they have played so far. Whether their opinions are positive or negative anyone should be able to say what they want as long as it is respectful. People's opinions shouldn't be quashed whether positive or negative.

That being said, this game looks pretty good to me.

The "not impressed" topic is not in any way disrespectful imo.
I'm totally fine with opinions, but my main issue is the amount of "melee master race" type of reactions I've been seeing, which is unfair given that this game isn't trying to be a copy of melee.
I see nothing wrong with criticizing what we've seen so far as long as it's done in an objective manner.

With that being said I saw this coming from a mile away. We already have Melee vs Brawl, Melee vs PM, and Brawl vs PM... With Smash Wii U and 3DS thrown into the mix things are only going to get more complicated in terms of keeping the competitive community on the same page. I mean hell Smash 4 isn't even out yet and we've already seen our fair share of Smash Wii U vs Smash 3DS arguments.

The best way for us as a community to move forward is to respect each other's preferences and just play whatever we want to play without criticism, or else things will start getting ugly and it'll be Brawl vs Melee all over again... maybe even worse.
^This is what worries me

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

At this rate. It's gonna be Melee + PM vs Smash 4.
And let's just say it's not gonna end well.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I think the reports that many of the Treehouse staff maintaining the demos have been asking players for feedback on the gameplay is a pretty good sign within Nintendo that they are looking to improve the gameplay experience. Prior to the invitational Sakurai mentioned over and over how the gameplay is still a work in progress. If people want a better game, then let Nintendo know. They're asking the community -- probably watching this forum -- so the ball is in our court. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Trust me the Melee and PM communities aren't entirely on the same page either. I've talked with multiple high level Melee players in my scene who think PM is even worse than Brawl.
...And now we're getting thrown into this barfight. Peachy.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Did they offer any explanation?
Plenty but getting into the "whys" will only derail this thread so I won't say any further.

...And now we're getting thrown into this barfight. Peachy.
That's my earlier point though; there doesn't need to be a bar fight if people simply choose to play what they want to play without slinging mud at each other.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Just like I said in the other thread, fool me once etc. We as a community (anyone who isn't a brawl player, and has been playing a long time) know how smash works, how it flows, and feels and how the game should operate, we didn't spend tens of thousands of hours playing with ourselves and not our game. Even Zero himself confirmed it's like a "improved brawl". I dont want that, as a player, I want a faster game like Melee with freedom of movement options. Even something more like 64 would have been great. Whether you want a hugbox over a new unreleased game is irrelevant, we're going to criticize it if we see things we dont like. Dont like what we're saying then ****in report us, because I'm not holding back on what I think. I'm not even gonna deny it at this point that it needs to be a Melee like game.

I really didn't want another Melee tbh, even as much as I adore the game. I wanted something to replace it, something better that builds on the fun ideas that Melee gave us as a community. All the options, all the combos, the general flow of the game. The idea of Melee and what it means as a game could have been built on. Thus far from WHAT I'VE SEEN and what I've READ, it's looking like the game I've avoided since 2008 because of bad gameplay quality. Smash 4 is indeed subject to change, I'm not arguing against that, but I think honestly the game is getting to the polish stage for bug fixing and such. If I have to demand another Melee to see gameplay quality, to get Sakurai out of his casual catering then I will. I dont wanna see 6-7 more years of "OH SHIELD/DEFENSE OPTIONS ARE TOO SAFE BETTER STAND BACK AND WAIT".

If you like Brawl, more power to you, you have a different taste than me and I'll leave it at that, but I personally cannot abide by being insulted by another game like it. Speaking up and voicing our opinions as Melee players is the only way to get options in the game that we like. Staying quiet is only going to make another Brawl. What I'm saying is, I learn my lessons from the past (brawl and the brawl invite). I'm not dumb enough to repeat my mistakes.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It's posts like the above that is going to get this thread shut down very quickly. People: you can frame your arguments within a constructive framework that will not provoke flame wars.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
>getting worked up over facebook and smashboards

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
That's my earlier point though; there doesn't need to be a bar fight if people simply choose to play what they want to play without slinging mud at each other.
I understand that. And I wish we could just get along. But history has told us otherwise. Heck, it's happening right now. And by the looks of it, we won't get out scratch free.
All I can say is prepare for the worst and hope to God is won't be like Melee vs Brawl.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Honestly, the negativity flat-out disgusted me at first too. But now that I think about it, it's probably for the better. Just let everyone who either way would have disliked the game vent it out now. It's more healthy for the long run, as people will just not bother with it in the future. Hopefully, this won't deter other people from taking the game seriously. I know I will, I just hope that a big number of people will as well, whether they're new or old.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Some competitive players are so entitled. Of course Sakurai has to cater to the casuals (i.e. the source of the cash). He just said yesterday Smash is a party game but he's still trying to please the competitive side as best as he can.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
Just like I said in the other thread, fool me once etc. We as a community (anyone who isn't a brawl player, and has been playing a long time) know how smash works, how it flows, and feels and how the game should operate, we didn't spend tens of thousands of hours playing with ourselves and not our game. Even Zero himself confirmed it's like a "improved brawl". I dont want that, as a player, I want a faster game like Melee with freedom of movement options. Even something more like 64 would have been great. Whether you want a hugbox over a new unreleased game is irrelevant, we're going to criticize it if we see things we dont like. Dont like what we're saying then ****in report us, because I'm not holding back on what I think. I'm not even gonna deny it at this point that it needs to be a Melee like game.

I really didn't want another Melee tbh, even as much as I adore the game. I wanted something to replace it, something better that builds on the fun ideas that Melee gave us as a community. All the options, all the combos, the general flow of the game. The idea of Melee and what it means as a game could have been built on. Thus far from WHAT I'VE SEEN and what I've READ, it's looking like the game I've avoided since 2008 because of bad gameplay quality. Smash 4 is indeed subject to change, I'm not arguing against that, but I think honestly the game is getting to the polish stage for bug fixing and such. If I have to demand another Melee to see gameplay quality, to get Sakurai out of his casual catering then I will. I dont wanna see 6-7 more years of "OH SHIELD/DEFENSE OPTIONS ARE TOO SAFE BETTER STAND BACK AND WAIT".

If you like Brawl, more power to you, you have a different taste than me and I'll leave it at that, but I personally cannot abide by being insulted by another game like it. Speaking up and voicing our opinions as Melee players is the only way to get options in the game that we like. Staying quiet is only going to make another Brawl. What I'm saying is, I learn my lessons from the past (brawl and the brawl invite). I'm not dumb enough to repeat my mistakes.
Here are the reasons this post is dumb, and I'm going to illustrate this for you not because I'm trying to insult you, but because what you wrote is dumb and I don't think what you want to be said isn't being said they way you want it to be said in your post.

The whole thing is incredibly passive aggressive. Aside from the fact that you watched a ****ing video of a game less than 10 hours old with next to no tech being discovered(which by the way in any game in any genre is a stupidly bad way to judge it), you say **** like you're being "insulted" with another game. "fool me once", like the developers are some secret band of thieves whose job is to bait and switch you-- not work thousands of hours taking your feedback to input into a game with already ridiculous expectations coming off what largely is known as a competitive pariah to its hardcore fanbase. You, King whatever your name is, throwing out his fallace on a platter to be washed and sucked off. Sincerely, As much as you believe developers don't give a **** about the hardcore, let me tell you from actually meeting these people and working with them on various things, it's the exact opposite. It's the worst thing in the world when a hardcore community HATES your game. It impacts sales, longevity, and word of mouth. Capcom didn't need to make Ultimate Marvel 3-- as it made them look bad to the general public-- but they did BECAUSE of the competitive community. That's hundreds of thousands of dollars believe it or not, and man hours on something that is generally seen as an investment not yielding of a large return.

So let me just put this in perspective for you: You're totally entitled to not like what you've seen. There's plenty of stuff here that I'm sure isn't of interest to you, and 100 percent you deserve to not invest time into liking that. But at the same time, when you pull out sentences like "We as a community (anyone who isn't a brawl player, and has been playing a long time) know how smash works, how it flows, and feels and how the game should operate, we didn't spend tens of thousands of hours playing with ourselves and not our game. " you're kind of digging a hole for yourself. If you can't see why that sentence that you wrote is a dumb thing to say-- you need to seriously examine it and think for a minute. I know you're probably angry at me for saying it, but ten seconds, think why it's bad to phrase something the way you just did.

Take it form somebody whose been involved in competitive gaming longer and is older than you-- **** just smash, that attitudes going to murder the **** out of your life if you keep dropping that stuff. It'll kill your chances at jobs, and it'll hurt any community you work within because it's a really selfish way of trying to say "**** everybody if it's not MY game, or what I want it's stupid."(And I'm aware you put that disclaimer thing there, but honestly dude anyone over 20 can read between the lines of what you really mean.)

I thought I would post this because your post frustrated me, and instead of flaming you I'd tell you something useful. I think the game looks different and the same, like every game several months before release. It's slower, seems slightly boring, and at the same time has cool elements that look fun-- like every game several months before release. I also think that if I dislike something, I should probably voice my concern conscientiously like a person who isn't an idiot or cynic, because if I do that then developers will probably take my suggestion into account. My $.02

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Responses like these are exactly what need to be avoided if we hope to have any semblance of meaningful discussion.

Criticizing Smash 4 =/= wanting the game to be Melee.
I'm mainly targeting the people who want the game to be exactly like Melee and have all the physics and mechanics like wavedashing, etc

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Honestly, the negativity flat-out disgusted me at first too. But now that I think about it, it's probably for the better. Just let everyone who either way would have disliked the game vent it out now. It's more healthy for the long run, as people will just not bother with it in the future. Hopefully, this won't deter other people from taking the game seriously. I know I will, I just hope that a big number of people will as well, whether they're new or old.
Well, it's nice to have these entitled..."respectable citizens" vent this out so they can leave the game for the people who want to take it seriously and play and enjoy it.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
How is it unhealthy? Will having a negative outlook on what was shown today make me have a heart attack? No, people should be free to express whatever they want to. You don't have to sucker up and love whatever Nintendo makes.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
How is it unhealthy? Will having a negative outlook on what was shown today make me have a heart attack? No, people should be free to express whatever they want to. You don't have to sucker up and love whatever Nintendo makes.
It's not unhealthy because you don't like it, it's unhealthy because the way your expressing your dislike is ****ty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom