• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Analyzing Mewtwo's Changes (Now with a Buffs and Nerfs list)

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Confirmed Melee Moveset:

Missing Moves:
Up-Air
Up-Tilt
Down-Tilt

Melee Properties:
Air Dodge
Running
Item Holding/Using
Double Jump
Spot Dodge
Roll

Confirmed Colors:
Regular
Shadow Mewtwo
Blueish Purple (Could be replacing old Melee blue palette)
Teal/Shiny (Could be replacing old Melee green palette)
Orange

Colors that WILL be there:
Yellow

Corfimed Nerfs:

Shadow Ball - Seems to be less jagged

No DJC (Could be a nerf or a buff, I personally see it as a buff)

Neutral Air - Seems to have some nasty landing lag

Air Dodge - Not being able to directional air dodge takes away a lot of mind games from Mewtwo's arsenal (Also air dodge and teleport are now very distinct which also takes away a lot of air dodge mind games)

Down-Smash - Although technically unchanged, this game's engine/mechanics revolve a lot more around rolls and cross ups which are easier to deal with if your character has an attack that hits on both sides. Mewtwo, having no attack that hits on both sides, will have a harder time punishing these and thus will seem to have a worse Down-Smash (unless Down-Tilt can now hit on both sides).

Confirmed buffed: (At least from what we can tell)

Jab - The suck-in effect + finisher make his jab viable in the game

Forward-Throw - Now seems to correctly connect all of the Shadow Balls as they all seem quite bigger. The move is also much faster in itself

Down-Throw - Seems to have greater combo potential at low %s (Although to be honest it's always had great combo potential)

Up-Smash - Now has killing potential. Also the suck-in effect prevents opponents from falling out and also makes the hitbox work correctly from a greater distance

Down-Aerial now comes out MUCH faster

Neutral-Air the suck in effect will give this move many new properties which will help Mewtwo (If this move has some auto cancel window then this move can probably be Fast-Falled into a combo!!!)

Side-B - Mewtwo can now act out faster than in Melee. Now actually reflects projectiles (and assigns ownership to Mewtwo) instead of just deflecting them.

Down-B - Mewtwo crouches before performing the move which will allow him to **** shorter opponents he couldn't hit before. Also stuns the opponent for a longer amount of time (at least from what we can see). Hopefully this means Mewtwo won't go punished for this move all the time

Attacking during Double Jump now seems to retain momentum

Mewtwo seems have a much faster run speed

Crouching seems to have been buffed. Mewtwo crouches further allowing him to avoid attacks he wouldn't have been able to avoid before.

Up-B - Although seemingly unchanged the new ledge mechanics allow Mewtwo to always trump whomever is at the edge, basically guaranteeing Mewtwo a completely free ledge since this move gives him invulnerability

Last edited:

TheConfuZzledDude

Smash Cadet
NNID
ConfuZzledDude
3DS FC
1246-8704-7777
He can act out of Up-B now. Seems like they've just taken the changes from Project M :p

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
green was confirmed by that scene there Ness is walking behind him with a master ball, like he is going to catch a shiny mewtwo!

I can say that with 100% sure that all attacks are from melee with buff/nerfs

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He looks stiff, and hardly revamped... At least Confusion works as it was always supposed to, and U Smash kills. Now what?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
He can act out of Up-B now. Seems like they've just taken the changes from Project M :p
Where did you see this? The only time he uses Up-B in the trailer he lands immediately afterwards, he doesn't even finish the "twirling" animation.

His F-Air is also back:

Added to the list

green was confirmed by that scene there Ness is walking behind him with a master ball, like he is going to catch a shiny mewtwo!

I can say that with 100% sure that all attacks are from melee with buff/nerfs
That's a teal color, it doesn't look like his green Mewtwo color at all. Green could have been replaced by this new teal color, but they aren't the same so I am still listing green as a missing color.

He looks stiff, and hardly revamped... At least Confusion works as it was always supposed to, and U Smash kills. Now what?

He doesn't look stiff, all his animations look exactly as they should be. Also most of us didn't want him to be revamped. I am truly happy he has his Melee Moveset.

His F-Air is also back:

Roll and Forward-Tilt are also confirmed to be the same as Melee in the Smash Bros sites screenshots.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Downthrow follow ups seem to be a thing. Seems to combo up to high percents so I wouldn't be surprised to see dthrow to tilts or short hop aerials at lower percents. DJC gone as expected. I saw landing lag on nair. Confusion follow ups though. Up throw seems to be the same... I hope it still kills.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Yes, his model is much better in this game. I was never keen on the giant head his old models in the past had. Makes him look more humanoid.

Every move shown in the trailer is all Melee Mewtwo. Looks like he can Teleport dodge as well... Hopefully you can utilize that to play mind games with your enemies. I'm very happy they stuck with his old moveset. He could use a few buffs here and there but I'm pretty sure he might be more akin to Project M Mewtwo.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Foward Tilt is also back he use it against greninja on the 3ds pictures
Yep, already added.

Downthrow follow ups seem to be a thing. Seems to combo up to high percents so I wouldn't be surprised to see dthrow to tilts or short hop aerials at lower percents. DJC gone as expected. I saw landing lag on nair. Confusion follow ups though. Up throw seems to be the same... I hope it still kills.
Yea Down-Throw seems to have the same potential it had in Melee which is really great. DJC is just not part of this game's engine but I think the Momentum carrying over will actually help him in these physics (which is why it's placed under buffs). I'll rewatch the trailer to look at the N-Air landing lag, is it more than Melee?

TheConfuZzledDude

Smash Cadet
NNID
ConfuZzledDude
3DS FC
1246-8704-7777
Where did you see this? The only time he uses Up-B in the trailer he lands immediately afterwards, he doesn't even finish the "twirling" animation.
It looks like he teleports and then uses his nair, though looking at it again, he just teleports down and immediately shorthops to nair. Well, at least you can act out of it very quickly

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Confusion doesn't affect mid-air momentum, and it seems you can steer him while he's doing it.
It also seems to function as a mix of reflector and gravitational pull, against strict projectiles it reflects,
against items it stops them where Mewtwo can pick them up. Diddy counter confirmed.

Edit: Actually, disregard that statement of item catching. Turns out he was already holding the beam sword
(darn telekinetic nonsense). That scene definitely shows he can get followups from it now.

Shadow ball doesn't have as much as a jagged trajectory as before.

Dair seems to hit earlier. Should make spikes easier to land. Also seems somewhat more powerful.

Yea Down-Throw seems to have the same potential it had in Melee which is really great. DJC is just not part of this game's engine but I think the Momentum carrying over will actually help him in these physics (which is why it's placed under buffs).
Can you say... rising Spark?

Last edited:

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Down throw looks like it combos into u-smash.

Also, Mewtwo's frame is significantly larger than in Melee (unless the Mewtwo on which Greninja footstooled was under the effects of a Super Mushroom). This has to be coupled with greater weight. It should at least weigh as much as Luigi. Though to think wishfully, Mewtwo should weigh as much as Link/Falcon/Yoshi.

D-air looks like it comes out a lot more quickly, and since meteors are so potent in this game thanks to the lack of meteor canceling, this is really good for Mewtwo.

Down smash looks like it doesn't have as much cool-down as in Melee.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
That's a teal color, it doesn't look like his green Mewtwo color at all. Green could have been replaced by this new teal color, but they aren't the same so I am still listing green as a missing color.
always thought that the green in melee would represent his shiny form, now it even represent the shiny form even more!

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Down throw looks like it combos into u-smash.

Also, Mewtwo's frame is significantly larger than in Melee (unless the Mewtwo on which Greninja footstooled was under the effects of a Super Mushroom). This has to be coupled with greater weight. It should at least weigh as much as Luigi. Though to think wishfully, Mewtwo should weigh as much as Link/Falcon/Yoshi.

D-air looks like it comes out a lot more quickly, and since meteors are so potent in this game thanks to the lack of meteor canceling, this is really good for Mewtwo.

Down smash looks like it doesn't have as much cool-down as in Melee.

Greninja DEFINITELY had a poison mushroom in that part.

godogod

Smash Ace
Where is is forward aerial in the trailer? I didn't see it.

Anyway, I"m glad most of his moves are kept in tact and I hope he is still hard to master. I'm not gonna assume he will get the palutena treatment for custom moves.

Come on April 15!

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
Where is is forward aerial in the trailer? I didn't see it.

Anyway, I"m glad most of his moves are kept in tact and I hope he is still hard to master. I'm not gonna assume he will get the palutena treatment for custom moves.

Come on April 15!
It's not in the trailer, but you can see it in one of the pictures from his website page! I posted it in this very thread an hour ago.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I'm glad to see his Melee moveset has returned and not been altered, as that's one thing I was afraid of initially when Mewtwo was announced.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
From what I can tell:

Confusion - significantly faster, now reflects for damage and doesn't decrease the speed, causes an auto-juggle at close range (Short Hop + Confusion = Profit?) and may cause an auto-footstool in the air?

D-Air - Faster

F-Air - Longer Range? Seems to be the more obvious of the two.

B-Air - Longer Range?

Jab - Now has a launcher, similar to Palutena's?

D-Smash - Less endlag?

U-Smash - Less start up, more knockback?

F-Throw - Larger but less mini Shadow Balls

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
A minor tidbit, but in Super Smash Bros. 4, Mewtwo's irises glow green when using the Disable technique - whereas in Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mewtwo's irises glow yellow.

Source: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Disable

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Tipper.png

Tipper at the end of the tail?

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Yea, well everyone can act after air dodge in this game :p.
Ah.. never thought to use that.. Mewtwo's nair looks more appropriate for that though, since it sends you upwards. I just assumed you go into free fall after you air dodge.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I doubt he can attack out of teleport.
We have no proof either way. He only teleported on the ground so we don't know if it'll leave him helpless yet.
I think it's safe to say, though, that his Usmash is dramatically stronger, getting solid KOs on Final Destination
whereas doing so in Melee required pretty high percent.

Yes but the fact that he vanishes makes him a huge threat. Its honestly one of Mewtwo's greatest assets in my opinion.
Seriously, people thought the split second vanishes of Greninja and the like were annoying?
Mewtwo just turns invisible for the whole animation. And though he may not do so for his rolls, they're still
really long and much faster now too. Who needs wavedashing?

Here's the really big question though: has he kept his one true gem of a move from Melee, his Dtilt
that could probably give Diddy's a run for it's money?

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings

Here is the trailer for those who missed it.
Dat pika at the end tho.

@ meleebrawler meleebrawler

I'm gonna assume yes. I watched the video like 4 times. All of his moves in the video are from Melee. I can only assume Dtilt will make it back as well. Regardless, I think, with certain buffs, Mewtwo is going to give the "broken-tier" characters a challenge to look forward to.

Diddy-mains specifically? They'll be crying in the boards in 15 days about how they can't hoo-hah Mewtwo ever because he keeps teleporting in circles around them.

All I know is after seeing this trailer, I'm more than satisfied enough to drop Charizard and make Mewtwo my Secondary.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Miseribacy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Miseribacy
I just wished Sakurai changed Mewtwo's Side-B and/or Down-B. But I'm okay with slightly more viable versions of his Melee ones.

I can confirm nerf for Mewtwo's Bair. It doesn't have the Melee/PM sound which was satisfying to me. :4mewtwo:

Top Bottom