• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Animal Crossing's Friendly Merchant: The Tom Nook Thread [CHANCES UP BY 100%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smady

Smash Master
Great analysis of the background characters. There are so many groups it seems that Nook could easily pop up in just one, but I'd be let down if that was all he did in the new game when Villager is playable and Isabelle is an assist trophy. I mean, Mr. Resetti was an assist trophy in Brawl, Nook deserves a little more attention than just being in the background.

Last edited:

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Wait, but does KK Slider still do concerts?

He better.
I feel 100% certain they're bringing the KK element back, considering how perfect that was in Brawl.

On that note, it's not that they haven't shown Nook yet - it just seems very odd that HAVEN'T shown him yet if he is a background character.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure Mario covers all the essentials in his series. :troll:
You understand the difference in scale between Mario and Animal Crossing, though. Mario is so big and so diverse a series that it has the weight to spread across five characters. This is the first SSB game with a playable Animal Crossing character - I don't really see much merit for throwing in two newcomers at once, especially if Nook would just be using the stuff 'left over' that didn't make it into Villager's moveset.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
You understand the difference in scale between Mario and Animal Crossing, though. Mario is so big and so diverse a series that it has the weight to spread across five characters. This is the first SSB game with a playable Animal Crossing character - I don't really see much merit for throwing in two newcomers at once, especially if Nook would just be using the stuff 'left over' that didn't make it into Villager's moveset.
64 had Mario AND Luigi.
Melee had Marth AND Roy
Brawl had.... uhh.... Pikmin AND Olimar

also, Animal Crossing isn't as small as you make it seem.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's definitely not as big as Mario, but its comparable to a giant like Donkey Kong in the casual market, and DK deserves at least 3 characters.

I don't see the harm in Nook being there too.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
If Tom Nook is in the background it doesn't automatically mean he is deconfirmed it's basic Alfonzo logic. The villagers in the stage are only aesthetic so its not a big deal if he's both a character and a decoration.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Tom Nook is in I'd imagine he'd be unlockable as there's not much more of a crowd he could draw in that wasn't already in for the villager.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I'm getting a larger feeling that Tom Nook may be playable. With the appearence of Isabelle as an Assist and Ressetti most likely remaining an Assist, and Tom Nook being more important than those two, I think it's quite likely now, especially because of how large Animal Crossing is. So, I guess you can consider me a supporter.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm getting a larger feeling that Tom Nook may be playable. With the appearence of Isabelle as an Assist and Ressetti most likely remaining an Assist, and Tom Nook being more important than those two, I think it's quite likely now, especially because of how large Animal Crossing is. So, I guess you can consider me a supporter.
It's always fun having more supporters!

so what outfit do you guys think nook would wear? I'd bet on his new leaf look seen in the SSB4 trailer, in addition to his apron.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's always fun having more supporters!

so what outfit do you guys think nook would wear? I'd bet on his new leaf look seen in the SSB4 trailer, in addition to his apron.
Actually, the Villager uses a design that is definitely based on the previous Animal Crossing games. You can tell because he's not as tall as he was in New Leaf. So it would seem that other Animal Crossing characters would be based on their pre New Leaf designs. But there is that trailer to take into consideration... I really have to wonder, if Tom Nook is going to appear in the game, that means that either:

1.) The Villager is using an older design than Tom Nook for no real reason, apparently.

2.) Tom Nook is using a design that contradicts what he looked like in the first trailer.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Actually, the Villager uses a design that is definitely based on the previous Animal Crossing games. You can tell because he's not as tall as he was in New Leaf. So it would seem that other Animal Crossing characters would be based on their pre New Leaf designs. But there is that trailer to take into consideration... I really have to wonder, if Tom Nook is going to appear in the game, that means that either:

1.) The Villager is using an older design than Tom Nook for no real reason, apparently.

2.) Tom Nook is using a design that contradicts what he looked like in the first trailer.
or alternate costumes. :p

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
or alternate costumes. :p
What about his height, though? It looks like in the reveal trailer for the Villager that everyone else, Tom Nook included, has their New Leaf height. Something like that is unlikely to be changed by alternate costumes.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
What about his height, though? It looks like in the reveal trailer for the Villager that everyone else, Tom Nook included, has their New Leaf height. Something like that is unlikely to be changed by alternate costumes.
the outfits though.

I didn't even realize he changed height :facepalm:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Almost there guys!
It's almost time to see if Nook gets revealed for this direct!

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think he would, by the majority of the fanbase at least.
Poor Nook. It's not like we can't have other favorites and Nook.

He's worlds better than Miis, no matter how people that don't like him look at it.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
I think he would, by the majority of the fanbase at least.
Sorry ^^; stupid Iphone spell check

Anyway before things get ugly I would like to say I think any/all potential characters for smash are deserving to be in the game (Nook and Miis included) ^^;

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Golden was right I guess. :p
You're damn right I was.

@ Starcutter Starcutter
Wow, golden, you usually aren't this naive. What's gotten over you today?
It's the hype, isn't it?
.......I can't even believe this reasoning.
he hasn't even been shown in game period. where does it show nook's roll in the game in that trailer? because it doesn't.
Also, we don't expect Doc for other reasons, not cause he was in mac's trailer.
Got anything to say to me now?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I hate to bump this thread here, but do you guys think Tom Nook was actually considered to be playable as the "Animal Crossing Guy", assuming Salromano has outdated information about SSB4.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I hate to bump this thread here, but do you guys think Tom Nook was actually considered to be playable as the "Animal Crossing Guy", assuming Salromano has outdated information about SSB4.
Honestly, it's possible. It may be that Sakurai was debating about having customizable characters like Villager or Robin on the roster, but ended up deciding to include them anyway. A good decision too, I think. We got the actual main characters of the games as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom