• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Another Super Smash Bros. 4 Rumor?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Apparently someone inside of Namco told these rumors to Gamefaqs...

* The Anniversary of Brawl's release in Japan will have a special Nintendo Direct focused on Smash 4. (Jan. 31)

* Little Mac and Takamaru were two of the first characters chosen for Smash 4, both being classic characters that have since experienced a revival via Punch Out Wii/Nintendo Land and are fan favorites. They also represent West vs. East, which Sakurai is aiming for after the previous series strayed too much towards Eastern characters like Fire Emblem and Mother.

* King K. Rool and Ridley are also two characters that are being given priority as they too have a lot of requests. King K. Rool's design is said to have a new design that Retro contributed to (perhaps a new Donkey Kong Country is on the horizon?), and Ridley will apparently have a style of game-play that involves the evolution seen in Other M.

* Shulk, Dillon, and Ghirahim are currently set to be included, but they haven't been finalized like the four above.

* Platinum Games is interested in including a character, yet nothing has been finalized yet. Will probably be from Wonderful 101, but nothing is decided upon.

* Starship Mario, Giant Chasm (Pokemon BW2), Pushmo Park, and Cookie Country (Kirby) are levels that have been worked on.

* There's a second Yoshi representative who has yet to be introduced and will apparently be appearing in a new game coming out soon that Nintendo asked to be included.
The rumored Yoshi Land Wii U? It's apparently Yoshi's new partner another dinosaur character. The name "Debu" has been thrown around, but I'm not sure if that's it's name or a nickname since that just means "fat" in Japanese.

I'm a little relieved, though I'd like to see this Nintendo Direct January 31, 2013 (Since that's Brawl's Japanese anniversary). But, that doesn't mean I'm still skeptical of this specific news leak by a "developer". Does this look believable to you?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/64901335

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Hmm...it's possible although I wouldn't take this at face value until January 31st. Then we'll know if this is legit.

Also, a starship stage for Mario! Do I smell Bowser Junior :D

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
The details are certainly plausible and reasonable, the source is questionable.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'd like for it to be true. With everyone else though I think it doesn't seem probable, so not believing it. At any rate, whether it is true or not will be revealed at the end of January.

D

Deleted member

Because some people are just too gullible to not fall for an obviously fake rumor time after time again.

I guarantee you that no leak before E3 2013 will be true.

BBQTV

Smash Master
New account with less than 3 karma. Can post 4 topics, 40 messages per day

Hoots

Can Be Combative
While I'm skeptical of this rumor like I am of any rumor, I must say, he is incredibly skilled at seeming legitimate. Allow me to play Devil's advocate:

If his goal is to troll people and fool them into believing him as long as possible, he's doing a pretty **** job and is even setting himself up for failure. At the very latest, we will have direct confirmation of the illegitimacy of the rumor on January 31st. Why would a troll set up a deadline for his lie, much less a relatively soon one?

Also, when throwing out roster predictions, it's not uncommon for there to be a surprise in an attempt to make it seem like something other than a fan roster, but consider the inclusion of "Debu." Now a troll could go pretty far with ridiculous character choices, but why would someone whose main goal is to be taken seriously INVENT an OC and add it to the roster?

Additionally, he went as far as to leak an ENTIRE roster for an upcoming manga crossover fighting game that most people have never heard of. This is also setting himself up for failure once that final roster is officially revealed. In a thread where everyone cares only about Smash, why would he do this?

Finally, most other leakers just drop their leak and disappear into the night, since if anyone actually pressed them, they would be quickly revealed as a fraud. This leaker, however, has stuck around on the thread, answered questions and has stayed consistent the entire time.

These are just some things to think about. I know it's really easy to say "lol. Gamefaqs. Zeldainformer. Fake. Lol," but it doesn't do any harm to take a closer look, especially with the dry spell we've had. It's actually kind of fun.

Regardless of whether or not he's the real deal, he's well spoken, is an expert on Nintendo franchises, and his roster logic is totally rational. I think he would be a great addition to Smashboards as a regular poster, just from seeing how knowledgable/logical he is.

:phone:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Like others said, we will get proof in the future if the "leak" is legit due to him having a targeted due date. I'm very surprised how involved he is on that topic and not flaming anyone for doubting him. And for a guy working at Namco (who is helping making the game rather than making the game) he seems to have Nintendo/Sakurai level intelligence and knowledge rather than a mere helper on the project. Because of this, if he isn't talking out of his ***, I'd like to know what job does he have on Sm4sh.

Not to mention since he's saying a lot of what I want to hear which make me a little unsure if he's really serious. Then again, will that huge roster "leak" he wrote on some manga game, he sure has really big balls saying all this.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Like others said, we will get proof in the future if the "leak" is legit due to him having a targeted due date. I'm very surprised how involved he is on that topic and not flaming anyone for doubting him. And for a guy working at Namco (who is helping making the game rather than making the game) he seems to have Nintendo/Sakurai level intelligence and knowledge rather than a mere helper on the project. Because of this, if he isn't talking out of his ***, I'd like to know what job does he have on Sm4sh.

Not to mention since he's saying a lot of what I want to hear which make me a little unsure if he's really serious. Then again, will that huge roster "leak" he wrote on some manga game, he sure has really big balls saying all this.

We'll just have to wait and see.
He says he works in the PR department for Namco. This means that he isn't helping make the game at all, but just works on promoting Namco games in NA. So at the very most, he would do promotion for Smash 4 from the Namco side (if NoA doesn't handle it completely) when the game is localized. His story is that he is getting information from a contact at the Japanese HQ, presumably from someone working on Smash 4.

On this point, many people have said "Nintendo is VERY secretive, so there's no way this guy could know anything!" However, being secretive generally means keeping information internal and not TOO much else. If he is indeed friends with someone in the know, it is completely feasible for him to get the info. I work in PR myself, and I will tell you that the information you are privy to is determined by who you know and who your friends are, regardless of how classified it is.

Sure, it's not great for job security to leak company secrets out to the internet, but if their PR department is big enough (which I imagine it is), there's not much they can do to find out WHO the leaker is, if the guy was careful. If he took some pretty basic precautions, he would be in essentially no danger of losing his job.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
For convenience
Here's most of the big updates from his other post so far:

[collapse="Page 11"] I got a Private Message from Snakey asking for some additional details, mainly involving 3rd Party, and I replied to him with some info about that that I feel safe posting here.

Most of the 3rd Party characters are still being mulled over and such, and there's been interest from Konami and Sega regarding the inclusion of other series characters, although there's been much debate over this. NiGHTS, Monkey Ball, Goemon, Castlevania, and Twinbee are all series I've heard have been brought up, but personally I doubt we'll actually see any of those make it in. I'd assume that Snake and Sonic are set to return.

Namco will include a character, but nothing has been set. I don't think they want to use Tekken because it's a more "realistic" fighter and it would be weird seeing those characters in Smash, and I think the fact Tales is mainly an Eastern series is hurting it, though. But minds could change.

Link, Marth, and Ike will be using there new styles from SS/Awakening, but adjusted for Smash. Pit will also greatly draw from Kid Icarus Uprising, I'm guessing he'll be much more talkative now. All the other characters as far as I know from Brawl are coming back.

Interest in bringing back dropped characters has been shown, specifically for Mewtwo. Chances for Roy seem lower, but possible. Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link probably less.

arvilino posted...
"few early roster tidbits"? of 10 possible new characters? That''s almost nearing the number of new characters Brawl had. That isn't a few by large margin this is all pretty doubtlessly false.

Only 4 of the characters (Ridley, K. Rool, Takamaru, and Little Mac) are definite as far as I know. That's 1 less than Brawl debuted with. The other four are merely being considered and are strong contenders.

Ghirahim may or may not make it in, the big factor for his inclusion apparently lies in the what goes on with the Zelda Series. If a new, main game comes out before Smash, Ghirahim may be dropped unless he appears as he'll be considered "old". Personally, I don't see a new mainline Zelda coming out that soon.

Shulk's inclusion apparently came about due to the strong showing in the UK and US, as it showed that Xenoblade resonated with a larger global audience. Apparently, before Xenoblade came about and gained steam, Kalas from Baten Kaitos was considered as a possibility, but I don't think it went anywhere beyond that.

Dillon and "Debu" are being considered due to Nintendo wishing to use the next Smash to help boost some series. I think one can assume that, like Pit in Brawl, they may wish to expand Dillon's series in the future.

The "Debu" character, as mentioned before, Nintendo wants to promote. Why such a push? I'm not quite sure. The only thing I know is that he's Yoshi's new dinosaur buddy, he's red, he's presumably large, and he seems to play like Yoshi. The first clone confirmed? I don't know the extent of his similarities, information about him has been very sparse.[/collapse]

[collapse="Page 15"] A poster asked me about the possibility of some other characters making the roster and why things are of course subject to chance, there are a few characters who I am quite certain will not make it to playable status based on what I've heard and a few of my own observations.

*As I said before, Kalas was considered before Shulk and Xenoblade took off, but since Shulk will likely make it in, Kalas is pretty much out of luck. At best we can hope that Sakurai can include some of Baten Kaitos' stellar soundtrack.

*Level 5 as far as I know has not been contacted or contacted Sakurai in regards to Professor Layton.

*I don't think the view on Animal Crossing characters as fighters has changed. Unless there's some sort of underground fight club that Resetti runs in the new Animal Crossing, I don't think that will change so no playable Tom Nook.

*Square-Enix is surprisingly protective of Mario RPG characters, which is why all we've seen is Geno in SuperStar Saga as a cameo. I've heard rumors that it goes further than Smash...Nintendo apparently wanted to use him and other RPG characters in the Mario x SE games (like Sports Mix) but Square Enix wanted their well-known Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest characters instead and wouldn't let them.

* Bowser Jr. is now considered by Nintendo more or less as part of the Koopalings. Apparently that interferes with him being included, as he's been considered prior to the Koopalings returning, but now there's worry that including him and not the others isn't a good choice.

* No Sukapon, probably. Sakurai doesn't want to include Japanese-only characters unless they're known enough and have potential among Western audiences. The reason Takamaru is getting in is due to Nintendo Land, which is apparently the beginning of Nintendo's aim to introduce him to the west. I'd expect we'll see a 3D Classics Nazo no Murasame Jo released for the 3DS in the near future as part of this aim. Takamaru's character (a classic samurai) is also considered to be far more recognizable to foreign audiences than Sukapon.

* There's no plans to finish Toon Zelda, Tetra, Dixie, or Plusle and Minun, mostly revolving around the fact that their time has come, more or less, and they're dated. They were at once seriously considered, but dropped once the majority of the actual development began because they were expendable being less popular.

If there's a specific character you're wondering about, ask and I'll give you what I've heard. There's a lot of little tidbits regarding early roster ideas I've heard about, but most of this is older information and, like I said, probably on the cutting room floor. [/collapse]
[collapse="Page 17"] I believe Waluigi was chosen to be an AT for Brawl because he fit that role so well...it's his character to be "just good enough", you could say. He was never considered playable at any point for Brawl, and that hasn't changed.

I know Capcom does want a character in, but I doubt Resident Evil is what they're aiming for.

I don't think a new Fire Emblem character is going to happen. Krom isn't likely as he's considered too Marth-like in terms of his character and how that would translate into gameplay.

scottwritten posted...
@TC, Note, this is a test.

What have you heard in regards to Impa (Legend of Zelda)?

Is the test judging my knowledge of the Zelda-verse, in which we have old woman Impa in Zelda II, Muscular Impa in Ocarina, Fat Impa in Oracle, and two Impa, young and old, in Skyward Sword (and Impaz in Twilight Princess)? :p

I'm pretty sure there won't be an additional Zelda character if Ghirahim makes it, and if he doesn't, then it certainly won't be a character from Skyward Sword like Impa. Sheik will probably be redesigned and, yes, I'd say that they may draw inspiration from Impa for her new look. [/collapse]
[collapse="Page 23"] I wouldn't get your hopes up for Starfy. His series didn't make a substantial splash when it was given a non-Japanese release back in 2009, and there hasn't been anything done with the character since.

I'd say Saki/Isa Jo are in the same boat, Star Successor was pretty lackluster in terms of sales as well and there's no Sin and Punishment in the foreseeable future.

The period between Brawl and Smash 4 was their testing periods when it came to global audiences, and I don't think they met expectations. They could be given a second chance, but their games are getting older and older as time passes and they don't have the same longevity as big series installments like Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword. [/collapse]
[collapse="Page 24"] Starfy seems like the kind of franchise that Nintendo wants to drop, that they want to kill off... and it's really the kind of franchise that they never really attached themselves too much to anyhow, it being from a distant 2nd party, and them never using the franchise alongside any of their bigger names while doing cameos or references... I think Nintendo wants to forget about Starfy.

Sin & Punishment is in a similar boat, I don't think it's a franchise that Nintendo uses to represent itself in any way. Just another 2nd party, not the most successful, not a bomb either, but it's not something I see Nintendo sticking into the spotlight with a playable character.

Dillon? Hmmm... it's too new for us to know what Nintendo wants to do with it. It along with Pushmo are franchises Nintendo really did push for the e-shop service. If a sequel for Rolling Western rolls around then there may be a better chance of Dillon getting the playable status. The studio behind it is close with Nintendo, or so I hear (they developed the Tingle games, which, I mean, that's Zelda, that's really dang close with Nintendo), so it could be something that Nintendo will want to push and continue with... But a "maybe" is as far as I'm going to go, it's still too soon for it.
[/collapse]

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I might accept shulk and Ghiraham if Dillion is in.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I am most curious about this "Debu" character though. Normally when someone makes roster "leaks", entirely new characters are very odd to come by. Usually at best it's something out of the left field to trip up people, but nothing actually new. This is somewhat backed up by the Yoshi's Island Wii U title leaked recently, though there is a possibility that these are unrelated.

This may be all fake, but that bit of info kinda gets my attention for some reason. If it does turn out fake (most likely) then I won't mind, but Debu could become a bit of a fandom darkhorse of sorts in the future.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I really hope this is false, if it true then it would seriosly hurt the hype train knowing the majority of characters already. Also no layton :c

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
This is just impossible. No way this supposed employee is just giving up the goods like that so early.

As much as I want it to be true, this person is undoubtedly lying.

Could you imagine Giriham just being thrown out if he doesn't make it into the next Zelda? If anything Sakurai's team would know well in advanced before anyone what major reoccurring characters would appear in the following Zelda. They will hardly have to create him only to have a wait and see approach to his inclusion.

pokémoneinstein

Smash Cadet
Most likely it's fake, but we'll know for sure when Yoshi's Land Wii U is officially unveiled. If this "Debu" character is shown, there's no way he could have guessed that.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Most likely it's fake, but we'll know for sure when Yoshi's Land Wii U is officially unveiled. If this "Debu" character is shown, there's no way he could have guessed that.
Unless he's REALLY working for the team developing Yoshi's land.

He wouldn't necessarily know about smash but would still have info on that

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I am most curious about this "Debu" character though. Normally when someone makes roster "leaks", entirely new characters are very odd to come by. Usually at best it's something out of the left field to trip up people, but nothing actually new. This is somewhat backed up by the Yoshi's Island Wii U title leaked recently, though there is a possibility that these are unrelated.

This may be all fake, but that bit of info kinda gets my attention for some reason. If it does turn out fake (most likely) then I won't mind, but Debu could become a bit of a fandom darkhorse of sorts in the future.
I'm curious about this "Debu" character too.

Anyways, it seems that the so called Namco worker is very silent. But like I've said before, I think he is lying.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
I'd be pretty depressed if this was true and Kalas actually was scrapped in favor of Shulk...

Design wise Kalas is waaaaaay better then Shulk.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind this being true. I just hope that, if it is, some other characters also come into play down the line.

That's my optimistic take on it. In reality, this is likely false. I feel ridiculous for even entertaining the notion that it could possibly be true, but you never know.

If he's a troll, he certainly has my respect. This isn't one of the usual "my uncle workz at nintendo and said goku and spongbob is plyable in teh next gaem" types. It takes talent to come up with such extensive explanations and descriptions and maintain your stance on those claims. All while sounding intelligent, to boot! He's very good at what he does. Regardless of whether this is true or not, I applaud him.

Edit: An intelligent post from the Gamefaqs thread. (Surprisingly!)

...Whether the claims here are actually credible, I'd just say that Brawl had dozens of leakers, most of which were proven to be liars, but one of which was actually completely correct well in advance of the truth becomming common knowledge, and he was actually banned in several places as a liar and a troll for his no evidence leak. I would speculate that the collaboration with Namco signfiicantly increases the odds of leaks as more hands are tangentially involved, and those with very thin connections to the development are the most likely to spill the beans. It's also the case that Namco is not going to be nearly so secretive as Nintendo (I'm unsure if the CIA is as secretive as Nintendo) and that Namco is probably completely unaccustomed to this kind of pressure for leaks (they make some big games, but it's not like any kind of leak would really matter for something like a Tekken game beyond the project existing at all). The overall odds of this guy really telling the truth are fairly slim just playing the averages, but nothing he has said really disqualifies him from being truthful (in fact, it's all very plausible) and we know that somewhere along the line we're going to have some real leaks. Given that he has a fairly short time-frame to be proven wrong (Jan. 31), we should be focused on maximizing our information gain now with the dual purpose of giving maximum opportunity for obviously untrue things to be said (allowing us to disregard this issue from further consideration) and maximum gain if it does end up proving true. If it is proven true, the popularity of this will explode and it will likely be impossible to get any further information.
This is exactly what I think.

vahnx

Smash Rookie
Seems fake. King K Rule is a kremling no? And as we all know Rare owns those rights which is why Donkey Kong Country Returns didn't have any. Therefore this information is false.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Seems fake. King K Rule is a kremling no? And as we all know Rare owns those rights which is why Donkey Kong Country Returns didn't have any. Therefore this information is false.
King K. Rool, Kritters, and other DKC series characters have appeared in plenty of non Rare developed games (Nor did Nintendo put Rare in the credits in said games) so your argument is invalid. Rare has some rights to the DK games they've developed but Nintendo has much more power over them (including characters) due to being the creators of Donkey Kong.

vahnx

Smash Rookie
King K. Rool, Kritters, and other DKC series characters have appeared in plenty of non Rare developed games (Nor did Nintendo put Rare in the credits in said games) so your argument is invalid. Rare has some rights to the DK games they've developed but Nintendo has much more power over them (including characters) due to being the creators of Donkey Kong.

I thought the reason DKC Returns didn't have Kremlings was because rare owned the rights and wouldn't let Nintendo have them?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I thought the reason DKC Returns didn't have Kremlings was because rare owned the rights and wouldn't let Nintendo have them?
Well, it is hard to find the real reason for the lack of Kremlings online but I've been hearing the possible reason why is Retro Studios chose not to put them in. Like I said, I can't find a reliable source of any kind confirming or denying this.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
If that's true, then Miyamoto's been making some dumb decisions lately. He also didn't want any new characters in Paper Mario Sticker Star besides Kersti, which is why the game didn't have any partners.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Sticker Star was horrible anyway. The real stupid decision was when they looked at Chain of Memories' card system and said "this is good, this definitely wasn't the most hated part of their entire franchise and it will work wonders when we rip it off and do it worse."

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Wow..Sticker Star didnt have any Partners...I still havent got a 3DS i was gonna pick up one for MK7 and i would have but i was broke at the time...

Was gonna get one for sticker star but was still broke xD.

Defenetly gonna get one for Sm4sh also PM64 & Expecially Thousand Year Door were veryyyy good.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, Sticker Star is considered awful all around. This is one reason why Miyamoto needs to stay out of games that aren't his. He's out of touch with gamers.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Just asking/wondering..

People bash Miyamto and Sakurai...

So who at Nintendo currently/generally is resepected considered ''Good''?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Just asking/wondering..

People bash Miyamto and Sakurai...

So who at Nintendo currently/generally is resepected considered ''Good''?

I suppose Shigesato Itoi (The guy who created the Mother Earthbound Franchise) and Retro Studio's don't seem to get bashed a lot... Well Retro did because they didn't include the Kremlings into DKR but their still widely loved. As well as the guy who does the 3D Mario games. That's all I can think of really from the top of my head at this moment. ^^;

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
So why dont Retro help make Sm4sh..
Because its blatant that Sakurai doesnt wanna do/doesnt like doing it..

I guess because of all the fans bothering him constantly xD.

I am fully upto date on all Sm4sh rumors across the whole net..xD yes...im that sad...

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Nintendo has this idea that he matters somehow. He directed all three smashes. All three sold well. He makes part 4, we make moneys.

Top Bottom