• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Another Toon Link alt. costume? How about Young Link?

Ihrlundri

Smash Rookie
First and foremost, I understand there's such a thing as priority to the PM team. Certain ideas hold more significance than others. And most suggestions are taken very lightly and for good reason.

But I've been wondering who else might be interested in a costume for Toon Link as Young Link.

I figure (understand, this is coming from someone who has no experience dealing with this kinda stuff) , if Mario can have Dr. Mario with his alt costume and his minor variations in attacks, couldn't Toon Link have the same for Young Link?

On another note, wouldn't it be interesting to see Young Link as his own character? Ive read suggestions for Young Link having a much different move set, such as deku seeds, sling shot, bombchus, ect.

He could even morph into Fierce Deity as a final smash! The result could be similar to Wario's final smash.

Any thoughts on any of this?

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
The issue with that is hurtboxes. Dr. Mario is ok because he has the same model, just add Doc stuff and electricity. Toon Link has a massive head. You can't just change the size of the head, it messes the visual representation (or there is a difference between them).

As for young link as his own characters, well, I would say it isn't worth that much time. Others disagree, but I think Tink is a good enough amalgamation of brawl, melee, and 64.

steakhouse

Smash Apprentice
look up Toon Young Link on brawl vault, he looks pretty good. I wouldn't use him as he isn't wearing pink pajamas, but pretty good nonetheless.

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
This is something I'd really like too, Toon Link was literally the only thing I missed from Melee when Brawl came around.
With a little lot of tweaking it could be possible. After all no reason not too. They DID add Melee versions of Link, Fox, and Falco, maybe some others I haven't noticed, especially since 3.5!
Now obviously that's different since there's no size difference, but it's for pleasing the same crowd.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
This is something I'd really like too, Toon Link was literally the only thing I missed from Melee when Brawl came around.
With a little lot of tweaking it could be possible. After all no reason not too. They DID add Melee versions of Link, Fox, and Falco, maybe some others I haven't noticed, especially since 3.5!
Now obviously that's different since there's no size difference, but it's for pleasing the same crowd.
Um, I think there might be a typo there...........

Any way, you right. If you think about if actually, it should work, I mean, they are both the same height and have the same reach. Yes, there arm and leg lengths are different and the bigger head and all, but in general, it should work. Maybe.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
OoT's young Link doesn't have Toon Link's chimp-like proportions, so the animations wouldn't work unless the bones were changed, which would change the hitboxes, which would change gameplay, which is not gonna happen.
But you know who does match Toon Link's proportions?
No? Can't think of anyone?

Last edited:

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
Now, considering they were capable of changng MOVES for Mario's alt to be the pills instead of fire, I'm SURE they can alter the model shape to make Young Link.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
The Toon Young Link looks great, I use it. PMDT could probably make young link a seperate character though. It wouldn't take much time to implement, as he would use the same moveset as Link, except for Fire Arrows and a normal boomerang, which can be found in Toon Link. From there, they would just change the speed and strength. Probably less than a days work. For Alts- 1. Kokiri Tunic, 2.-Goron Tunic, 3.-Zora Tunic, 4.-Unused White Tunic from OOT, 5.Unused Yellow Tunic from OOT 6. Unused Black Tunic from OOT, 7-9 would be Green, Red, and Blue melee style. The same could be done for Pichu as well.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
The Toon Young Link looks great, I use it. PMDT could probably make young link a seperate character though. It wouldn't take much time to implement, as he would use the same moveset as Link, except for Fire Arrows and a normal boomerang, which can be found in Toon Link. From there, they would just change the speed and strength. Probably less than a days work. For Alts- 1. Kokiri Tunic, 2.-Goron Tunic, 3.-Zora Tunic, 4.-Unused White Tunic from OOT, 5.Unused Yellow Tunic from OOT 6. Unused Black Tunic from OOT, 7-9 would be Green, Red, and Blue melee style. The same could be done for Pichu as well.
Wait, which one do you mean?

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Young Link as a seperate character. I main him in melee and Toon Link in PM, but I'd sure play as both of them.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Young Link as a seperate character. I main him in melee and Toon Link in PM, but I'd sure play as both of them.
No, i meant which mod do you mean? Also, I would only play as Young Link cause serious, he is MUCH more cute and adorable than Toon Link X3.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Project M, and with Young Link, Toon Link can be even more focused on being Wind Waker Link.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Ok, Toon Link NEEDS to have this Alt costume, it's just to hilarious :laugh:.

Now it makes me want him to have Young Link's nair in PM.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
I really like PM+, I just want it and PM 3.5 together, but I just want the standard PM stages, because I'm into competitve play, and I prefer that Dr.Mario stays as an alternate costume, rather than a seperate character with a weird Stance. My only other problems with PM+ is that Young Link and Pichu still feel like their from Brawl.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I really like PM+, I just want it and PM 3.5 together, but I just want the standard PM stages, because I'm into competitve play, and I prefer that Dr.Mario stays as an alternate costume, rather than a seperate character with a weird Stance. My only other problems with PM+ is that Young Link and Pichu still feel like their from Brawl.
OH MY GAWD. ANOTHER YOUNG LINK FAN!

SO happy.

That's awesome and sad to here that. I have seen a few youtube clips of the modded mod (:smirk:) and it looks like it is coming along well. Though, if I could, I would change a few things about Young Link that they have done.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Yeah, it's great. The new update is very stable, i've had no crashes. Suprising for Brawl Ex, it's really unstable.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
I can't play though, it is unfortunate. I can't get Project M (original)[
I can't either. I went to a party and left Brawl in my backpack inside a car. I, at the time, couldn't find the box, so I used a paper disc sleeve. So my brawl melted a crack into it.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Na, I can't play PM because I have to wait for the stupid PAL release date :glare:.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Ok, Toon Link NEEDS to have this Alt costume, it's just to hilarious :laugh:.

Now it makes me want him to have Young Link's nair in PM.
There's one just like it on Brawl Vault, that is Brawl Styled. I've used both it and melee remasterd one before. The melee remastered one comes with Young Link's voice. Foe my PM 3.5 SD card, I replaced the new Toon Link alternates with young Link

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
There's one just like it on Brawl Vault, that is Brawl Styled. I've used both it and melee remasterd one before. The melee remastered one comes with Young Link's voice. Foe my PM 3.5 SD card, I replaced the new Toon Link alternates with young Link
Aw dam, now I really want PM to release the PAL version so I can do the same

Ihrlundri

Smash Rookie
Okay, Since i posted this I've dabbled quite a bit into modding. I've found visually appealing young links alt costumes for toon link but I haven't found a near perfect version.
The one I've been content with for a wwhile now has feet that pierce the surface.
Does anybody know of a brawl remastered melee young link alt costume that actually makes expressions and has feet that stay ABOVE the surface?

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Sadly, no. But there is a Brawl EX pack to add Young Link as a clone of Link. An amazing moveset. It is in Project M+. On Brawl Vault you can seperately download it. Go to the Custom Characters section. I think it's on page 2.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Sadly, no. But there is a Brawl EX pack to add Young Link as a clone of Link. An amazing moveset. It is in Project M+. On Brawl Vault you can seperately download it. Go to the Custom Characters section. I think it's on page 2.
Two questions: Hackless? and if so, how does one add to Project M? I'd like a few specifics on how the character plays, as well. (slow/fast compare to Melee/Brawl/Project M, glitches, etc.)

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Yes. Brawl Ex does work with Hackless. You just have to code in the stuff yourself. I've never done it right, but Project M+ has perfectly added Pichu and Young Link. they are brawl speed, but they are working on it.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Yes. Brawl Ex does work with Hackless. You just have to code in the stuff yourself. I've never done it right, but Project M+ has perfectly added Pichu and Young Link. they are brawl speed, but they are working on it.
That's fine: I'm okay with Brawl's slower playstyle. Might even help me in Boss Battles. Plus, it's worth it for Young Link and Pichu. Though, that does make me curious if they are any hackless mods like Project M that simply fix Brawl's basic problems like Tripping and floatiness. And occasional controlling issues. I've gotten so many cheap KO's on my brother whenever he's over just because his controls don't respond right. It sucks all the fun out of finally winning against him.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Try Project M+ 0.7. It has a hackless version, but you'll be restricted to Project M 3.0 for the time being.

Agro_98

Smash Cadet
NNID
leafsfan98
I would love to see a young link costume for toon link. I actually liked young link quite a bit in melee (probably in my top 5 or 6 favourite characters), so any inclusion, costume or character, would be awesome.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
There's a problem with that. Project M 3.0 is no longer available on-site, the pack doesn't include the actual Project M, and I only actually first downloaded Project M at 3.2.
Last time I used PM+, it came with everything needed. I just deleted everything on my SD card and drag'n dropped. IThe files are set up differently, but it works the same.

Maikou

Smash Ace
The project m folder is hidden within the other folders, so it's still there, but is set up differently. It should still load like normal project m
I've tested it now and it's true. Thank you very much! though I still have a question that's slightly off-topic. How does one add a costume to a character in Project M (Hackless)?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hi man, sorry for not replying, I was away. What's this Brawl EX pack you are talking about? can you show me a video or pics or something? I'm intrigued.

I must say, that brawl toon "young" link is fantastic.
Which one?

Top Bottom