• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Another U-Air problem -.-

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Okay, first off I have a very good understanding of the game, and it isn't often I come for advice but here I am.

My captain falcon is finally getting pretty polished and a great approach attempt and mix up game is an extremely quick up air that can still hit most characters while they are on the ground. the U-Air I'm talking about is the scoop looking one, you pull it out quick as possible as soon as you start your jump. I can do this U-air, however not reliably.
C-sticking the U-air plain out isn't fast enough to do what I want to do, and my fingers aren't being slow here. However jumping and using the control stick to use U-air makes me double jump half the time, making me nervous a good bit of the time in my approach when I see this as a good option.

Is there any good way of doing this that I might not know about?
I know that barely holding up the stick works, but again that feels so un-reliable.

How do all the top falcons accomplish this with such a high rate of success? I never see them flub them and full/double jump.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
if you press jump (to SH) and then hold up BEFORE you're off the ground (5 frames w/ cfalc) you won't double jump and you can press A immediately to uair (don't do too early or you will usmash)

tubes

Smash Ace
Obtain super fingers, use the C-Stick anyway.

Or use Sveet's method. I think I'll try that out later today. Good **** Sveet.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
you could also slide your control stick up to the point where you can utilt without jumping off the ground (1/2 way up) and it won't make you double jump either.

HiIH

Smash Lord
In other words, BUFFER the uair. If you play smash 64, and play Mario/Luigi, you'll get the idea (dair, hold up during the dair and then uair>zcancel **** **** ****). It's the same idea.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
Dude just stop messing up with the A button, you obviously know it just takes more practice. it can really help if your hands have at least two options for whatever situation.

when it comes down to it you shouldn't be thinking about what your hands are doing.

SDR

Smash Rookie
if you press jump (to SH) and then hold up BEFORE you're off the ground (5 frames w/ cfalc) you won't double jump and you can press A immediately to uair (don't do too early or you will usmash)

* I'm going to try that right know *

* brilliant *

try learning to use X to shorthop and then moving the c-stick with the thumb-part of your palm

that's what I do for rising aerials

it's **** near impossible to do retreating sh double fairs with Marth without that.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Aside from tilting the D-stick, C-sticking is the best way to aerial w/o D-stick interference.

C-sticking isn't slow, you just need to learn to be faster. Otherwise play Sheik or Puff.

Mizar

Smash Ace
I might get flamed for this, but I N-air with Z. Also, I used to U-air with Z too. I use Z because your thumb doesn't have to leave the jump button and if your timing is good, the hit box of U-air can even hit in front of you. It's easy to use out of shield etc. The only downsides are that shorthopping with the control stick is lame and that your spacing precision will suffer. Long story short: Use the C-stick. Jump -> c-up, when you reach the highest point in your SH, FFL.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
try learning to use X to shorthop and then moving the c-stick with the thumb-part of your palm

that's what I do for rising aerials

it's **** near impossible to do retreating sh double fairs with Marth without that.
I jump with X, then i move my thumb all the way down to do these...
it's easy...

Top Bottom