• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Answered] Dual Maining Roy and Robin; Need Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to use both Roy and Robin at an upcoming event on the 22nd. I have a few questions, any and all answers and opinions would be appreciated.

• What stages are best for Roy?
  • What stages are best for Robin?
  • What are Roy's 5 best matchups?
  • What are Roy's 5 worst matchups?
  • What are Robin's 5 best matchups?
  • What are Robin's 5 worst matchups?
  • What would you do for a Klondike bar?
  • Any habits an opponent will develop facing one that I might be able to take advantage of with the other?
:4feroy::4robinm:

What do you guys think?

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Don't have too much experience with Roy and I have little experience with Robin, but I will try to help as much as I can.

Good Roy stages include any stages with platforms. I would suggest stages with low ceilings and low walls would help with Roy's killing. Halberd and Delfino work well in this case. I like battlefield and have a thing against Wispy in DreamLand lol. But any stage works.

Don't know any favorable MU's yet, but any character without a disjoint and super aggro will work well in Roy's favor. Characters like Mario and Luigi are even MU's for Roy and characters with projectiles give him problems sometimes.

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
Really early for a solid Meta yet (if you get recordings of your matchups feel free to post them on the video thread , it will help the community).
Be careful for really defensive characters and players, i'm not quite sure if it's me (most likely) or Roy sure has problems against defensive character, or those who can take that role easily, for example Peach.
Don't lose patience against speedy characters like fox or sheik, they rack up damage fast, but you can que even with a few hits actually.

probably Roy's worst matchups in my opinion would be:
:4sheik::...come on it's Sheik (check the matchup thread we are discussing about Sheik)
:4peach:: Can get some trouble to approach, has a better neutral game
:4pikachu:: the o so great strat of thunder jolt spamming is quite a hard barrier, plus pikachu small sizes sometimes saves him from some attacks
:4mewtwo:: i know some would say, whaaaat mewtwo, personal preference, but i do believe mewtwo is a solid character, can kill him really early with a hard read F-smash, t if he takes a good defensive role it's troublesome for Roy.
:4ness:: D-throw combos, be careful when he launches you off stage

but not really sure about best matchups,i will just throw stuff, i have fought these a lot in for glory and destroyed them (except Robin, never found a Robin player besides me):
:4dk::4ryu::4mario::4robinm::4dedede:

Last edited:

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
Something that you always have to keep in mind is that Robin's backair is extremely fast and powerful, you can even use it as a wall. Don't be afraid of wasting your spells, throwing the book is also a formidable kill move, the only 2 spells you have to take care are your thunder and elwind, Nosferatu works well for aproach from the air since most of the people will try to shield your aproach, and remember that you'll be using tilts and downsmash most of the time.

For Roy is almost like completely different from Robin, you'll be relaying a lot on grabs and punish every mistake your opponent does, you'll be jumping and fastfalling alot, make a good use of your dash speed and as side note, don't ever waste your second jump for an edgeguard, is going to be really hard for Roy to make it back.

tldr: Robin must be defensive and Roy agro as hell but with a little more caution. sorry my engrish is dead atm

Nelkoy

Smash Cadet
I have already replied this in the Roy Social thread, but I think it will be more helpful here.

--------------------------------------------------

Hi Mason,

I will try to reply your post based on mi little experience on playing Roy in this game. First of all, I wanna you to know that I only play Roy five times I believe —actually I only play Smash 4 like... less than 30 times for sure—. As I said in my presentation, I haven't a Wii U nor a 3DS, so yeah, I play when I can. Anyway, I wanna share some thoughts about Roy, matchups and stages.

First of all I wanna talk about his playstyle. I think the best way to play Roy is a agressive-pasive way. I get good results playing close to the oponents and cover myself with the shield or just standing there, and wait for the oponent reaction. If he roll, punish that; if he jump, go after him to keep the pressure; if he attack you, shield grab... and so on. People just get nervious having a Roy in their ***, and it's a normal reaction. Roy is pretty scary. Sadly I cannot offer you info or advices against campers chars, because I didn't know that matchups, but I guess that that tactic could work, but it will be more difficult.

Another thing you should notice asap is if the openent tech the Fthrows or no. If they doesn't, I think Fthrow to Dash Attack will hit at almost every percentage, and Dash could kill easy around 130% or even less. If they tech, I think the better option to follow up a Fthrow is a SH Nair. Nair will raise the oponent in the air and you can follow it with another Nair. Pretty good option.

About his MUs, I cannot say to much. I only will say that have a decent MU against Rosalina. I play A LOT against Rosalina and it may be around 50:50, even with a little advantage for Roy I must say. She is very light, and Roy hits pretty hard. With rage, you can kill her with 40% if you Fsmashed her close to the ledge. Anyway, you must be aware of some things. She can gimp you easyly, but with a little of practice you will learn how to dodge it —try to not go too deep, Rosalina's Dair kill you at 30% if you are without jump—. Use the Upb horizontal, or trying to hit Rosalina in the process —but not from below, ofc, because her Dair will hit you before your sword hit her—. Another thing that Rosalina has are the Uair chains. She will kill you at 50% if you get hit twice in a row. Dodge them could be hard —very hard tbh—, so try to jump and go horizontal as much as you can. Reverse Sideb could be usefull in this scenario. Maybe you will be hit by a Bair or a Fair, but everything is better than two Uairs.

A MUs that was difficult for me was Toon Link. His spam is very good, and can zone you very much. Use the high Roy's speed to keep close the him, and try to not get hit too much in the process. Once you are close, you can hit in his face a few times before he runs away again. And if he stay and fights you, keep in mind that you probably will win that fight.

About the stages, I feel very confortable in Lylat and Smashville. Plataforms are goods for Roy, but I think that not too much as for other chars. Actually, against Rosalina I recomend to pick Final Destination. No plataforms = no Uair chain = one thing about not worrying. Try to avoid Battlefield, Town & City and Dreamland if you are playing against Rosalina in general, she will get a lot more of these stages than you do. Duck Hunt is a decent stage for Roy as well, but you sould avoid that if the enemy has a good gimp option —like Sheik's Fair or Downb, for example—.

I don't know what more to say. I'm probably missing something, but I still hope that my experience helps you :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom