• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Answered] Up-smash trips, so how do we do it consistently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
I've gotten some of the most amazing damage rack ups because of the hitbox in u-smash that trips, I've even gotten it 3 times in a row and read my opponent with a f-smash sweetspotted when I joined him on the platform. So I want to know how it is we can get this more consistently so we can abuse it.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Do you have any footage by any chance?

This is actually something I'm curious on as well. I assume the tripping works on all platform types (like ones that are tilted)? Do we know when the tripping happens?

I've been experimenting myself, but I've been having trouble doing it consistently.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
This happened to me once. The opponent was on the platform above me, I up-smashed, and he tripped and fell out of the up-smash.

I'm not sure it's any one hitbox that causes a trip, but rather that if the opponent is on a platform, the looping hits of up-smash sourspot launch downwards, meaning they don't leave the ground. Knockback that doesn't lift the opponent off the ground has a 10% chance to trip them. So I'm not sure it's something we can do with any consistency.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
That sounds like a more plausible concept. I've seen that be the case with Lucina's dolphin slash in cruel smash, occasionally it would trip the opponent, because as you said it would be due to the weak knockback.

So to put it in a better perspective I think the best option all Roy mains have when attacking someone on a platform is u-smash OoS, up-b OoS and falling uairs and nairs. Shielding helps cover possible platform drops and shield drops your opponent might attempt (albeit shield dropping is hard as hell through platforms, I don't see anybody do it consistently in tournaments.)

But from the video you provide it looks like you can get some solid follow-ups, you can attack off of a trip right?

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
But from the video you provide it looks like you can get some solid follow-ups, you can attack off of a trip right?
Sure, they're left wide open. I only hesitated in that because I wasn't expecting the trip at all, and could only think "wait, what just happened?" before just up-smashing again for the kill.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Sure, they're left wide open. I only hesitated in that because I wasn't expecting the trip at all, and could only think "wait, what just happened?" before just up-smashing again for the kill.
So we just have to be on edge then like Ness mains when their d-tilt trips.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I've had this happen before as well, but I think the opponent needs to make a mistake in order to truly get a followup off of it, especially if it happens on one of the early hits of upsmash. I'm pretty sure the opponent can regain control of their character before we can get a followup, so it'd be a tech chase at best, due to the endlag on upsmash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom