• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anti-R.O.B. tactics

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
R.O.B. on final destination is one of the hardest human opponents I have ever faced. The character spams the top and the laser, uses side-b to deflect attacts, has a Dsmash to rival pikachu, and has huge areal recovery and areal attack range, making edge-guarding impossible.

The specific ROB-user type being examined is highly defencive. He shield-grabs, often side-steps followed by Dsmash, resists frontal attacks with his wide array of projectiles, and edge-guards effectively. He will occationally use the side-step as a dash for an assalt with throws, and if matched with sidestepping, once again uses the Dsmash. He also seems to outrange the areals of other ncharacters when in the air.

What is the best way to counter this type of ROB on Final Destination/similar stages?

Ex. I have found that using areal attacks when he is grounded and ground attacks when he is in the air to be effective. Lucario and Sonic seem to have a slight edge when they proceed in this manner. Snake, however, is not so successful. Also, being either aggresive or slightly out of range seems to be necessary when fighting a highly defencive opponent such as this.

GBcrazy

Smash Rookie
Do you want us to tell how to counter us?

Go away

....Seriously, use your main character's board

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Do you guys know how to defeat R.O.B.? The only way to master him is to know BOTH his strengths AND his weaknesses. Without both, R.O.B. cannot cover for a good Sonic.

Sarijy

Smash Apprentice
ROBs main weakness is his long range combat, my best advice if you truly want to beat ROB is to pick a character like Donkey Kong or Ike and just keep ranged while collecting and throwing pokeballs and stuff. And make sure you get the smash ball...
The best way to beat ROB is simply to kill him, you can't really gimp the recovery, you can't combo him easily, its just to OUTRIGHT kill him, in the same vein as DDD.
But you for one should welcome your new robot overlord

pKNeM

Smash Cadet
D13, sarcasm does not show in text in most situations. In that post...it was blatantly obvious.

Dr Phil xX

Smash Cadet
any of the space animals are annoying to play against because they can spam their laser at me from afar. just keep lasering rob so he doesnt have a chance to charge up his gyro, and to force him to move around a little bit. one you get close enough be careful of what moves you pick :p

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
ROB is a really good camper. Since camping doesn't work against Pit, what alternatives does he have which will outclass Pit? Pit is fast, pretty good in the air, and uses side-b at close range very often.

GetSmashedWithTheBros

Smash Apprentice
R.O.B. on final destination is one of the hardest human opponents I have ever faced. The character spams the top and the laser, uses side-b to deflect attacts, has a Dsmash to rival pikachu, and has huge areal recovery and areal attack range, making edge-guarding impossible.

The specific ROB-user type being examined is highly defencive. He shield-grabs, often side-steps followed by Dsmash, resists frontal attacks with his wide array of projectiles, and edge-guards effectively. He will occationally use the side-step as a dash for an assalt with throws, and if matched with sidestepping, once again uses the Dsmash. He also seems to outrange the areals of other ncharacters when in the air.

What is the best way to counter this type of ROB on Final Destination/similar stages?

Ex. I have found that using areal attacks when he is grounded and ground attacks when he is in the air to be effective. Lucario and Sonic seem to have a slight edge when they proceed in this manner. Snake, however, is not so successful. Also, being either aggresive or slightly out of range seems to be necessary when fighting a highly defencive opponent such as this.

1) spot dodging is your friend, no matter who you use. plus, it can really psych out a R.O.B. if their projectiles aren't working. Good mindgamez can be crippling.

2) My first impulse says to go with Ness/Lucas - I feel like PK Freeze/Flash, PK Fire, hell even PK Thunder if it's properly timed, and the PSI Magnet are all really effective against those who camp in general. The PSI Magnet should be particularly useful, since it'll stop R.O.B from spamming his R.O.B. Laser, and give you a range advantage, since his Gyro is relatively easy to dodge and doesn't go too far.

3) You'll need to change the way you're playing against this kid - it seems to me like you're being aggressive and going after him on a consistent basis, only to be countered by shield-grabs, a roll into a Dsmash, etc. I'd go with a strategy more centered around feinting - getting him to react first, and then attacking. Face it, he can sit there all game and you're going to get impatient - and he knows that. Thus, you've got to ACT like your going to attack, and see what he does. Screw with him. Then punish him once you know what he's up to.

4a) In response to the Side+B reflecting business this R.O.B is into, that move has a pretty long startup time - as in, it's reasonably difficult to time and use effectively. Address this by holding a projectile (if possible) and just running around with it. Don't throw items when you normally would, and don't fire projectiles from a normal distance. use them closer than you normally would, and R.O.B. will be snacking a nice big pwnburger with extra lag :chuckle:.

EDIT:
4b) Additionally, PK Thunder and PK Fire (if you use Ness) can hit R.O.B. in the head, and won't be reflected.

5) R.O.B.'s recovery is definitely solid, but not unbeatable. Edgeguarding (especially with a character like Kirby or MK) can be brutal, since *I think* R.O.B. doesn't get juice back in his thrusters even after he gets hit. If that's wrong, whatever - edgeguarding is still something you should invest in. His recovery is also very predictable, and considering the spikes that Ness has, well, you do the math.

MarthIsMyHero

Smash Apprentice
ROB is a really good camper. Since camping doesn't work against Pit, what alternatives does he have which will outclass Pit? Pit is fast, pretty good in the air, and uses side-b at close range very often.
Pit is awful in air, I don't know where you got that. He has a small range vs robs large disjointed hitbox on fair/bair. Pit also isn't that fast. He does get a lot of lag from some of his "fast" attacks. Side-B? Sucks. D-tilt/F-Tilt/F-Smash conquers that in a jiffy. ROBs reach is far too good compared to Pit. Once Pit goes aggressive with ROB, you need to make sure he does not pick up the momentum. You're really up ****s creek without a paddle after that. It does, however, take ROB a long time to find it if the Pit player is crafty enough.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
My bad, its just that I find Pit the most irritating little **** in the game. I do not use him much. However, as a flyer, he is very maneuverable, and his attacks tend to start quickly, although they end slowly. Pit was sort of a last resort against a player who is a surprisingly good R.O.B. user after almost no experience
with the character.

By the way, GetSmashed, that is some of the best advise I have ever seen on any of these forums. You seem to have tenfold the experience beating annoying campers than I have. Thanks for the advice.

MarthIsMyHero

Smash Apprentice
My bad, its just that I find Pit the most irritating little **** in the game. I do not use him much. However, as a flyer, he is very maneuverable, and his attacks tend to start quickly, although they end slowly. Pit was sort of a last resort against a player who is a surprisingly good R.O.B. user after almost no experience
with the character.
Just letting ya know, wasn't trying to be critical, just happens to come out that way. Just make sure before you ask questions, take all into consideration about character matchups: Speed (Air, Ground, Dodge), Lag, Range, Disjoints (That would be a clash with another attack that doesn't have one, where the other character is still likely to get hurt if spaced well.), and standard strategy.

Yeah they are both campers, that means they both need to get in each others face, which ROB has a very good aggressive game, like I said before, with momentum. That's all! :)

Zastrozzi

Smash Cadet
Also, for anyone who still needs help against ROB, remember that he has a huge blindspot underneath him and slighty to the back. Nair, Bair and Dair don't reach it and they are slow to boot. The only thing ROB can really do about it is airdodge and pray.

Sarijy

Smash Apprentice
Nevermind, I'm stupid LOL
D13, sarcasm does not show in text in most situations. In that post...it was blatantly obvious.
That was me I'm assuming?

The furries are a pain, but a ROB can just double jump then start charging gyro and airdodge when approaching the stage. This gives ROB the ability to shoot the gyro in combat as a finisher.
Pit, MK are both pains and really any character who can repel people off the stage for a decent period. ROB can return from anywhere, but he can't do it more then three times to my best talents.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
The only way to defeat ROB is by confusing his hard drive by explaining love to him.

He'll self destruct because feelings are for *****es.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
I love when people try to use this, because dividing by 0 is actually possible. : P

lrn2calculus.
Well.... kinda. Even with calculus, actually dividing by zero is impossible. Calculus just lets you approximate the value of the equation if you had to divide by zero; actually doing so is still flawed. Limits != the actual thing; they're just nigh-perfect approximations.

Semantics, yes, but it's an important distinction.

As for the actual thread: find ways to avoid letting him control the pace of the game. My brother does an excellent job with Pit of making me approach him because of those darned arrows. Like GetSmashed said, if you can establish more control of the pace, you can seriously undermine R.O.B. If you do approach R.O.B., which is obviously going to be necessary at some juncture, make sure you're smart about it. Running straight in there and hitting them obviously isn't working, so maybe some dash-grabs are called for. Maybe running in, stopping just outside of grab range, let him try to grab you, then smacking him for it. There are plenty of options, mostly situational; just make sure you're intelligent about not being predictable, 'cause if you're predictable and let R.O.B. control the game, you're as good as finished.

Ascorias

Smash Cadet
really... cause I'm pretty sure that if you tell a computer to divide by zero it causes problems REGARDLESS of whether it can be done or not. And yes, taking limits makes it easy to define division by zero although the act of actually doing is less possible.

Edit: oops, didn't see that someone had actually made that point.

Sudai

Stuff here
It is possible to get an actual answer when dividing by 0.

l'Hôpital's rule. Though that does require other stipulations such as the numerator being +/- infinity or zero as well, but meh. It's still wholly possible. And I guess you could argue that since you're taking the derivatives thusly changing the denominator to a function that != 0, you're not actually dividing by 0, but meh.

Meh meh meh. <- I like that word.

chckn

Smash Ace
You have to defeat ROB from the inside out. Since he is built with inpenetrable super alien robot armor you will not be able to attack him. You must first bypass his security mechanisms in order to have access to his mainframe computer. You must then reprogram him to turn on himself and commit suicide. Also, cping MK or DDD helps too ;]

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
It is possible to get an actual answer when dividing by 0.

l'Hôpital's rule. Though that does require other stipulations such as the numerator being +/- infinity or zero as well, but meh. It's still wholly possible. And I guess you could argue that since you're taking the derivatives thusly changing the denominator to a function that != 0, you're not actually dividing by 0, but meh.

Meh meh meh. <- I like that word.
Meh is a wonderful word, 'tis true. And yeah, you're not actually dividing by zero with l'Hôpital's rule, you're using other things to get around doing so. The entire purpose of l'Hôpital's rule is to get around doing the impossible. Yay, Calculus!

Another anti-R.O.B. tactic: implant a Mr. Mind into R.O.B.'s shell.

Kadardes

Smash Apprentice
When I'm fighting Pit, I close the gap between us as fast as possible and stay away from projectiles as I will easily get owned from afar by arrow spam. Once I get in range I like to nair (because they usually don't expect it so soon, the more unpredictable the better ;)) I always use the ftilt because that thing is amazing, it outranges a lot of Pit's moves and is very fast. Dtilt is also fun because they might be expecting a smash or something but then I spam dtilt so they can get tripped or just to rack up damage. I use fsmash a lot because its fast and I've found the best way to beat pit is to be faster than them. As long as I keep high pressure with Pit, I never really have a problem.

Top Bottom