• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any 2v2 tips for Wario?(details of match rules inside)

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Ok, so my friend and I are going to this local 2v2 tourney tomorrow against basically, some casual gamers/scrubs. We know this from our experience from a previous 1v1 tourney, even though we managed to lose xP.

Anyways, I was wondering on some things I should do with Wario this tournament. I'm not 100% sure on who my friend will pick, but it will either be Metaknight or Marth I'm guessing, seeing as he's been paying a lot of attention to them lately.

The rules are pretty dumb. Friendly fire is off, the only map we play on is Final Destination(I don't know why everyone in my area likes this map so much, but it's like the only map I ever get to play at local tournies, besides at the one I lost at, which was "hit random, and hope you get a good stage!") and there is just a 5 minute time limit T_T. Still, I figure it's easy money, I just want some tips for the both of us to ensure an easy victory :p.

All helpful info is GREATLY appreciated!!!

*wafts away* :warioc:

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
If its friendly fire off. Have your friend grab someone and jump and waft them. Also, your friend can charge a smash attack into your d throw. If its marth, you can have him stand behind you. Use dthrow. He can grab them and pummel. They will pop out. Grab and d throw again. Repeat.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Just Dair all over the place and have your friend follow you and hit them towards the end of your Dair. Dair has good priority and a fairly long hitstun, so if they use Marth they should be able to get a Fsmash or Fair out of your Dair.

You can use grab and bit a lot to set up attacks.

You can also Bike into the crowd at any time without worrying about hitting your partner. It should pop them up for some Marth aerials.

Do grab to waft whenever waft is charged.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Well, I figured I might as well post the results of the tournament I went to. There was overall a total of 14 teams, which sadly, is the biggest tournament head count that I've been to thus far. Going into the tournament, I was a little shaky because I always am, but I still felt confident that my partner and I could easily take the tourney away, even with only about a week's worth of actual training. On top of that, my friend started to use Marth about 3 days before the tourney, and I feel that was a decent factor in our loss.

Although, I did have a fun time because the first round we played some bk youngsters and I simply dominated. Going +8 against a Snake and Ike, hitting every waft, basically dodging all of their attempts of countering me while I ran rampant by simpling fair'ing them all the way off the stage, then proceeding to gimp them into their weak spots. My friend went -1 I believe, but IMO, even though he may have thought he was doing bad, I think he was racking up the damage for me most of the time so I could uair them and whatever else I had in my bag of dirty tricks.

Anyways, on to the second match vs. Lucas and Ike. This is where I crumbled IMO. I was intimidated by Lucas because I hate the mother ****ing stick of his, but tbh, I felt like I only lost two lives and managed to go -1 while my friend went 0, even. It was a really close match and I believe that we just didn't have the energy we had from the previous match. This is also the first tournament where I also grew some balls and started to yell out stuff whenever I'd do something sick, and ofc there was a bk who said, "That kid needs a girlfriend" xD I always loved hearing the crowd's reactions, and I think that was my downfall. I got too gosh darn cocky!

After that, we sit and wait for the buy-back-in opportunity. Basically, this is just for people who want back in and can spare more money, thus the champions from the first bracket just wait for all of us buy-backers to Brawl it out and find the champion of us, and then both finalists brawl against each other for the prize money. Well, to simply put it, we lost the first match this time. The problem is, though, I felt like we had this win in the bag about 3 times in the match. It was vs. Ike and Metaknight if anyone cares. Basically, the Ike was shutting my friend down with his Fsmashes(My friend is still getting his feet wet with Smash, so he isn't the greatest at anticipating moves yet) so for the first time, I used this thing called "teamwork" and I told him I'd take care of Ike, while he took care of Mr. Nado Spam because Marth's disjointed hitboxes had a better chance of out-prioritizing it then Wario's aerials. This is where we made our comeback. I'd consistently shut down the Ike with my fairs once again and he'd 75% of the time die because he is just a scrub xP. I feel like they knew we were on fire because for every stock they took from us, we AT LEAST doubled that amount. Anyways, it gets down to 15 seconds, and I call out to just air dodge camp in hopes that we're ahead/tied xP. It turns out, we were tied, and I must say, I'm lucky as hell. I got slammed by Ike's utilt at the very end, but I didn't disappear off the back of the map until after time ran out. Then we found out that it's sudden death time! My friend get's handled pretty easily by Metaknight's nado while I try to catch MK off guard afterwards, and I do. I hit him with a fair and it doesn't kill him T_T. Then I saw the opportunity and I striked. I used Wario's bike and the attack went right through both of those ******* that were just standing in fear, doing nothing whatsoever, so clutch, Wario =(. Then I double jump and fair MK and rid of him, and I figured I had won because Ike was inside of MK basically, but somehow fair didn't hit him as well, and I was utilted =(.

Once we lost, we basically just booked it out of there to get home ASAP, and now I'm blogging for some reason. I guess I couldn't stand being there anymore because I was going to use that prize money to fully reserve Soul Caliber IV while my friend was going to get TF2. We're glad to hear the next tourney is actually STOCK BASED and are ready to win that one, even though it's just 1v1s...we'll win :p Another place is hosting a 8 team 2v2 tourney and it's actually MLG/whatever rules this time, so we actually will be able to showboat when it's 2v1, and my friend is thinking of switching his main to something more ranged probably and actually practice that character more than just 3 days before a tournament :p

Before I leave, I'd like to thank you guys for your helpful responses, because I used a few of those tactics even if I didn't know I was actually doing them until it happened. By the way, any suggestions on a good buddy for Wario to chill with for the next 2v2 tourney? All suggestions will be taken into consideration, so go ahead and suggest away!

/wall of text (I got out of hand with this post...)

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Rob is an amazing partner for Wario... especially if you're facing good opponents who try to take advantage of grab-releasing... or DDDs that want to chain grab. Lasers interrupt everything, he has sick recovery, high priority, is heavy, and ROBs nair practically combos with anything Wario can do.

Just today (on WiFi), a friend of mine who goes ROB in doubles and I had this combo of gyro > bite > nair > upair or something like that, was pretty sick. Dthrows to nairs are also pretty easy, and ROB grab > Wario charged fsmash is easy kills.

Fiction and I have been dabbling in Wario doubles on WiFi, and it's a lot of fun, but I'm not too sure how effective it is yet.

Top Bottom