• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any chance Mario can climb the tier list?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I saw a blog on AiB asking for which characters are likely to raise their spot, and a large percentage of them said Mario was likely. Given his safety, multitudes of options, good grab game, and variety of play styles, could this be a possibility come next tier list?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Doubtful, none of us have really been spitting out results worthy of it. And unfortunately, nobody in the SBR really knows what Mario is capable of. A shame, really.

Tbh, I expect him to go lower.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
So it's more of a popularity thing and less of his true potential in tournaments as an overall character?

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Not really popularity, but more representation. More Mario mains probably would mean a raise on the tier list. Popularity does help though.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I think Mario should rise. He is definitely better than some characters above him. As everyone here said, it's popularity and representation that holds us back.

Speaking of tier list, this one out now is like 8 months old now. When's the newest one coming out?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think at least due to Pierce and Smash G0D who are both in the SBR, Mario has a chance at rising on the tier list. They know that Mario is a solid character.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Totally my fault I'm not ****** enough tournaments with him. I will change that.

Matt07

Smash Master
Mario again, needs better results in tournaments. We have a lot more players then before, which is good! I can see Mario rising, not a significant rise, but maybe a spot, or two. I can't see him dropping though, not at all.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Mario has a great chance, I think. He only has a couple of really bad matchups, infinite CG ban = better against King Dedede, so it won't be as bad of a matchup soon. Moreover, he's a lot better than Ike and Zelda, so I feel he should already ascend past D-Tier.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Until Mario gets better representation in tournaments he won't be rising.

I'll be working for that, everyone else should too.

Javon89

Smash Ace
Yea he's gonna go down but only one or two spots or he might rise if he's lucky. I really don't see him below Yoshi or Ness. Sure Ness is good but usually when it's Ness vs Mario in viablity, the D3 infinite almost always pops up and no one mentions Marth's CG. >.>

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Yea he's gonna go down but only one or two spots or he might rise if he's lucky. I really don't see him below Yoshi or Ness. Sure Ness is good but usually when it's Ness vs Mario in viablity, the D3 infinite almost always pops up and no one mentions Marth's CG. >.>
Marth's CG on Ness is much easier to do than D3's infinite on Mario. I really doubt Mario will go down because he's good enough a character to be significantly better and more viable than some characters above him. As A2 said in the general thread, the metagame is too focused on MK and since MK is our worst MU

for mario to jump takes some brawler to do very well with him in tourneys and what not
Unfortunately, Boss I believe is using more Luigi recently because he can handle some high tiers better than Mario can (Snake, Dedede, Wario, Diddy, Olimar). Boss's Mario is amazing and should be proof to people that Mario can be a very good character. I don't even know who uses some of the low tier characters.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Mario is better than Zelda and Ike.........in all honesty he might move up a couple spots but that's about it.

I don't see him being better than Fox, Wolf, Luigi, Peach, Sheik..... hell even Bowser and Pokemon Trainer are pretty solid characters.

Matt07

Smash Master
I'm going to be very biased here, but doesn't Fox have around 3 counters? Sheik, Pikachu, and Zero Suit Samus?

He has good options overall but having 3 counters hurts him bad.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
The thing is......who the hell plays those 3 characters in tournament? Now DDD..........

-Mars-

Smash Hero
But yea I think Mario is a pretty solid character who belongs in C tier.

BSP

Smash Legend
Mario could make it to C tier, but I doubt him ever going higher than that.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I'm going to be very biased here, but doesn't Fox have around 3 counters? Sheik, Pikachu, and Zero Suit Samus?

He has good options overall but having 3 counters hurts him bad.
I think IC's also do very well against Fox.

The thing is......who the hell plays those 3 characters in tournament?
Do you know how easy it is to **** Fox with these characters. If Pikachu grabs Fox once he can just keep using Dthrow and repeat until he's in kill percent and kill him with Usmash out of Dthrow. If Shiek gets inside of Fox and hits with 1 ftilt it's over. Same with with ZSS's Dsmash. IC's infinite aren't hard to do on Fox I believe.

It's like a 30:70 disadvantage against Pika (probably worse than that), 20:80 against Shiek, 25:75 against ICs, and I'm not sure vs. ZSS but I'm pretty sure it's bad. He actually has a 35:65 disadvantage against Luigi so that's a plus for me. Point is that Fox's counters beat him so bad that I can probably use Pikachu or Sheik, both characters which I don't use, and still beat a Fox. It's that easy.

vato_break

Smash Master
none of you guys are placing actually lol.... is there any mario that has gotten top 8 this past month? mario isn't going anywhere unless some other boss arises...

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I think IC's also do very well against Fox.

Do you know how easy it is to **** Fox with these characters. If Pikachu grabs Fox once he can just keep using Dthrow and repeat until he's in kill percent and kill him with Usmash out of Dthrow. If Shiek gets inside of Fox and hits with 1 ftilt it's over. Same with with ZSS's Dsmash. IC's infinite aren't hard to do on Fox I believe.

It's like a 30:70 disadvantage against Pika (probably worse than that), 20:80 against Shiek, 25:75 against ICs, and I'm not sure vs. ZSS but I'm pretty sure it's bad. He actually has a 35:65 disadvantage against Luigi so that's a plus for me. Point is that Fox's counters beat him so bad that I can probably use Pikachu or Sheik, both characters which I don't use, and still beat a Fox. It's that easy.
No you can't and no it's not.

Zeton beat Lain's Ice Climbers in TOURNY.......so yea i'm pretty sure you can't just cp a competent Fox player with your un-trained self and expect to win lmfao.

Edit: By the way

ZSS- it's very hard to land a dsmash against Fox and ZSS players will tell you it's only a 6-4 matchup

Pika- after 50% the CG doesn't work anymore.....so Fox can just platform camp and get hit with aerials until 50%

Sheik- I've played this matchup and while it is stupid...i still have to be on my toes because Fox kills Sheik ridiculously early.

Also I REPEAT who plays Sheik, Pika, and ZSS in tourny?

NOBODY.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I'll admit I overexaggerated about how easy it is to counter Fox. My point is that he can get ***** stupidly easily.

I have no idea how Lain would lose to a Fox unless he didn't get grabbed at all (secret to beating ICs) or the Fox just went super **** on him.

Pikachu does not stop after 50 if buffered correctly. It goes to 90% at least.

You might be right about ZSS though, but if you land it, it's gonna be a lot of damage racked up.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
No you don't understand.

If you get grabbed BEFORE you reach 50% Pikachu can CG Fox. If you avoid a grab until 50% then he CANNOT CG Fox because Pikachu's CG deals with decay.

So you can basically run away and purposely let him hit you with tjolts until you reach 50%.

Nishin

Smash Apprentice
I'd agree with most of you people. It's simply a lack of Mario mains.

In my opinion, this point is also true with Mario in Melee, I'd say he's worthy of moving up even slightly.

I'm surprised there aren't more Mario mains. Think about it. Virtually EVERYONE starts playing Mario when they play Smash for the first time.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
No you don't understand.

If you get grabbed BEFORE you reach 50% Pikachu can CG Fox. If you avoid a grab until 50% then he CANNOT CG Fox because Pikachu's CG deals with decay.

So you can basically run away and purposely let him hit you with tjolts until you reach 50%.
Not the best idea because then Fox is halfway to kill percent. Fox isn't a bad character though. He can fight characters like D3 and Snake without much difficulty and MK isn't bad for him. It's 40:60. But Pikachu, Shiek or ICs will beat Fox about 90% of the time assuming the they are good with the character. People can lose to easy MUs but it won't happen often. They could've went **** mode or the other guy sandbagged. Might just be possible that they got completely outplayed (remember Taj's Mewtwo at Pound 4)

I'd agree with most of you people. It's simply a lack of Mario mains.

In my opinion, this point is also true with Mario in Melee, I'd say he's worthy of moving up even slightly.

I'm surprised there aren't more Mario mains. Think about it. Virtually EVERYONE starts playing Mario when they play Smash for the first time.
Nobody I know started out with Mario in the original smash. I started out using Link (I switched characters eventually), my older brother used Kirby, and my younger brother started with Fox. I don't think any of my friends used Mario in the smash games except me.

Switch Mario and Sonic on the tier list. That is all.
I disagree. Although I think that Mario would have a good fit in Sonic's place, I think Sonic should be higher than where Mario is.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Inferno, Sonic is not that good. Only reason why he as high as he now is because of high representation. Virtually Sonic is a low-tier character.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Inferno, Sonic is not that good. Only reason why he as high as he now is because of high representation. Virtually Sonic is a low-tier character.
I'm really bad with words, I apologize. I think Sonic should be higher than Mario's current spot on the tier list. In other words, I don't think Sonic is E-tier. I personally think he should be in D-tier. I think Mario is better than Sonic.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Never said Sonic couldn't place. It doesn't stop him from being a low tier character. His metagame is revolved around punishing and mindgames, but any character that is able to play aggressive/campy aggressive puts Sonic at a disadvantage. Mario has the ability to combat these, just that there are 10x more Sonic mains than there are Mario mains.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
10x more godly Sonic mains in specific.

We just need more godly Mario players.

Top Bottom