• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any Gonna Buy Smash 4?

Paradoxium

Smash Master
This, http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=HJ5Q1sRJJEI

I dunno, I was looking forward to next smash bros until I discovered project m. Then i just kinda forgot about it. But this trailer looks pretty sick, not to mention megaman. I will probably get it for 3ds and complete all the single player options but I'm not sure if its going to have much replay value with the multiplayer modes compared to project m. So anyone gonna buy this or do the previous scars of vannilla brawl run deep through the skin and purge the very souls that were once loyal fans but are now writhing in the agony and suffering of what once was a highly anticipated game but is now the memory of broken dreams and forgotten promises. Rest in peace...

bleyva

Smash Ace
Hell yes.

Project M is awesome but I'm not gonna confine myself and my smash life to PM for the sake of Melee elitism.

Even if Smash4 is not as 'good' I'm not missing out on all the drunken/stoned out fun that comes with a fresh smash experience.

P:M is ****ing good as hell and will be top competitive play to pay attention to, but there's more to the smash experience than that.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Lol agreed, although I disliked brawl I can not stop my self from anticipating this game it just looks really fun

bleyva

Smash Ace
I need a Wii U first. I have a 3DS, but **** playing it on that.
Just out of curiosity, honestly is the 3DS any good? I haven't bought a nintendo handheld since the GBA and I'm considering catching up on the whole DS/3DS saga

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
****ing Mega Man.

And I get the impression that some aspects of game feel have been improved somewhat so I figure it's at least worth the try.

EDIT: The 3DS was not good at release and struggled for a few months but it's got a hell of a library already now and the lineup is just looking better and better. Considering you can play DS games on one, you might as well cover both grounds by getting one especially in the case that Smash 4 achieves a fair level of enjoyability in its gameplay.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Just out of curiosity, honestly is the 3DS any good? I haven't bought a nintendo handheld since the GBA and I'm considering catching up on the whole DS/3DS saga
Anyone who doesn't have a 3DS, I highly recommend getting one. There are way too many good games for it right now and it can only get better from here.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord

Definitely. The only problem with it is that there are more games than you'll have money for.

bleyva

Smash Ace
Ahh, money will be tight, I'll stick with essential mario karts etc

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
The 3DS is a fantastic purchase, tons of good games to play on it.

bleyva

Smash Ace
Well sorry for disrupting the original discussion, yes Smash 4 is being purchased

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Regardless of the quality I want to delve in a figure the game out on release.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Get Kid Icarus first. It's by Sakurai and it betrayed me by being good and getting my hopes up for Smash 4.
That's an interesting point.

How was Kid Icarus not terrible again? I recall imprecise controls, the story turning into a bumble**** by the 14th chapter, linear stages with designs limited by the gameplay- in particular the lack of a true jump in a series who's first two titles are platformers-, and online being a degenerate mess of one hit kill builds including but not limited to people grinding and looking up formulas for their massive damage slipshot homing +5 weapons. Not much diversity online and not much fun in single player. Maybe I missed something, but even after completing it, the last several levels felt like the developers ran out of ideas for stages and just started tossing out endurance tests/enemy mashups. It seemed more like a game with half railshooter levels and half Gears of War BUT COLORFUL levels, neither of which genres are all that enjoyable.

The one thing I liked about the game's difficulty setting was absolutely ruined by the game automatically making the game easier when you lose, instead of at the LEAST being able to pay hearts to keep the difficulty the same. Your punishment isn't just having to start from a checkpoint and lose hearts, you also get the privilege of being humiliated by having to play the level at difficulty 5.2, then play through the whole damn thing again if you want to clear it higher. It's almost like to clear it on 7.0, you have to play it on 9.0 to compensate.

In the end it definitely felt like a game Masahiro Sakurai made, I can say that much.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Cautious pessimism is my game when it comes to smash 4. I have a 3ds already so I'll definitely get that. What I think about the game will dictate if I'll get a Wii-U and the console version.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
Can't be bothered to buy a wii U just for smash. I play zero other games and did not like brawl. However I am not willing to say that i absolutely will not get it. If people say it is good i will certainly think about it.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Cautious pessimism is my game when it comes to smash 4. I have a 3ds already so I'll definitely get that. What I think about the game will dictate if I'll get a Wii-U and the console version.
This is also how I see it. Expect the worst and the worst thing that can happen is you're right which, hey, that's not so bad all things considered.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
I'm defenitly buying it. I might buy both due to each one is gonna have unique stages to thier counter parts. Like the Wii U version is gonna have Console only stages. Where as the 3ds is gonna have stages more from what that specializes in. I already have a Wii U, 3ds, and 3dsXL so this is a defenite choice for me. As long as Randomized triping is gone I'll be freaking happy.

Actually E.Y. I don't know necessarly when but I have been hearing that the Wii U might possibly get a price drop. Not to mention they are also making a Deluxe white bundle as well also. So the same as the Deluxe black version. Guess they are pulling the 8 gig models off the shelfs.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I currently have no intention of buying Smash 4. If it ends up seeming really good, then I'll look into it. For the time being, nothing about it interests me.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'm with Fly on this one. I'm content just messing around with it at smashfests unless there ends up being a really compelling reason to purchase both a Wii U and Smash 4.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
I would personally just buy a 3ds XL. Its the same as the 3ds but it has improvements. for one the screen is 90% bigger and has better battery life. Also it is nice that they are both backward compatible with DS games. The 3ds does have ton of games now.

Lets see... Zelda OOT3DS, Kid Icarus Uprising, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Super Mario 3d Land, Mario Kart 7, Resident Evil Revelations, New Super Mario Bros 2. And theres even more games than that. I will advise though for some games to purchase the Circle Pad Pro or Circle Pad Pro XL for games like RE:Revelations and MH3U. Not every game uses the CPP or CPPXL but its defenitly worth it..

Also not to mention when you get one look around because you can find them for cheaper alot of the time.

for example my place where I do my shopping for food here in Michigan known as Meijer sells it for 199.99 but I keep an eye out because the Best Buy directly across from there had it for 169.99. Again look for sales its pretty common.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
...Am I the only one wondering what all the Smash 4 threads have to do with Project M?

At any rate, yes I will buy it. I play this series for fun.

Trinsic

Smash Apprentice
I might get it eventually, but I'll wait at least a few years before deciding if I should get a Wii U or not. I barely play games these days so I'm not getting a new console unless it's cheap and I know it has something I want. I'll definitely play it at a friend's house at some point, and will base my decision off that.

I was hyped at seeing Mega Man but the awful character choice of Wii Fit Trainer has set me back to feeling neutral towards the game.

The new Battlefield looks great though. The background has the great and imaginitive presentation that I felt a lot of Brawl's stages were lacking.

Really though, I wish they would just rerelease Melee on the Wii U with functional online play.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
As long as Samus and Link don't suck. That's all I really care about.
from what I hear on the CT stream, they say Samus' moves got really fast(namely her FSmash, which even has more range due to an added explosion.) so it sounds like she's getting buffed along with Bowser.

they still think Link might suck though.

...Am I the only one wondering what all the Smash 4 threads have to do with Project M?

At any rate, yes I will buy it. I play this series for fun.
pretty much everything. what was the reason P:M was made? because people felt that Brawl was too flawed in most rights and going away from what made Smash fun for all fans. P:M is in a way an interactive petition to Nintendo of what some fans want to see in the sequel. After the mod broke into the mainstream due to IGN's videos, it became very clear that it's not just the competive sisde liked some of the things in P:M.

Smash 4 is mentioned because everyone wants to know how much They listened to us. at the very least it looks like they got the message that Bowser should be better.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
They could've made Bowser less of a goofball. I mean, sure it's a demo and all, but seeing him with his mouth constantly open and flailing around in the air doing cartwheels? Lol.

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
They could've made Bowser less of a goofball. I mean, sure it's a demo and all, but seeing him with his mouth constantly open and flailing around in the air doing cartwheels? Lol.
Haha! This.
I have no intention of purchasing a WiiU or Smash 4. Smash 4 looks like it will be a good casual party game. Hopefully it will avoid some of Brawl's major pitfalls. However, I have no interest in spending tons of money to play a party game. I want depth and competitiveness. I understand though that Nintendo builds their games towards the current market and the current market is very casual.
I will say that I did enjoy Megaman's sound effects. That was nostalgic.

9bit_alt

Banned via Warnings
Oh I will definitely get this game, most likely on release day (or midnight) like I did with Brawl. At least this time I'll be prepared for the "disappointment."

The new characters (mostly) look really cool, and how can I not buy a new Smash game? Sure it's unlikely that it will be really competitive. I'll always have Project M for that (plz find a way to put Megaman in PM plzzz). But Smash 4 will be fun for what it is.

210stuna

Smash Lord
Not until the P:M crew tear and revitalize it!

Joking aside, it looks cool and all, but it looks just like Brawl 2.0
What Brawl should of been.

I get that it has "Glorified HD graphics" but with their use of primary colors and lack of detail in textures, a bunch of shadow and lighting effects won't make me jump on that wagon so soon.

It's obvious the price won't go down until the Wazoo3 comes out (Including Mario Kart 8) so until I see some real gems, I don't see myself purchasing a WiiU just this moment.

EDIT: "So anyone gonna buy this or do the previous scars of vannilla brawl run deep through the skin and purge the very souls that were once loyal fans but are now writhing in the agony and suffering of what once was a highly anticipated game but is now the memory of broken dreams and forgotten promises."

That part was too good OP, too good.

D

Deleted member

Of course I am. Anybody who says they aren't hyped at all is either lying or has allowed themselves to be turned into a curmudgeonly gamer who has forgotten why they started playing Smash in the first place all those years ago.

I love Project M and will definitely continue to play it (unless SmashU surprises us all and pulls some incredible gameplay out of left field), but there's no denying that the 10 year old in me loves new characters, new content, and beautiful graphics. And you know what? I'm not ashamed to admit that.

Top Bottom