• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any Smashers in Cambridge?!

Yeniths

East Midlands!
I never really got the chance to speak with him while he was here, didn't even know he was from Germany LOL

If he has gone I'm sure all you Cambridge guys did good :p

MaSe

Smash Apprentice
yow was very good and funny as hell sometimes xD i'll train with TehIce and **** all your ***** at a monthly if I happen to be in UK again! BE PREPARED

MaSe

Smash Apprentice
Jo Rich, what does your book say to Aberlour A'bunadh? I just received a bottle as a present, could you quote? I'm sure it is listed in there!!

L-J

Smash Ace
'A cask strength whisky has quietly been making a name for itself over the past few years and has now attracted quite a crowd of enthusiastic devotees who praise the big, rich flavours of this Speyside malt.

Arbelour distillery was established in 1879 and then remodelled by the leading distillery architect Charles Doig some 20 years later after a disastrous fire. It really came into its own after 1975 when it was acquired by the French group Pernod Ricard and became their lead single malt brand in the days before their purchase of the Seagram distilleries (The Glenlivet in particular). Today the distillery offers an excellent 'Arbelour Distillery Experience' tour which is well worth making the effort to take (booking is essential).

There are several easily accessible expressions, and the possibility of bottling your own direct from a single cask at the distillery, but the one to go for is the strangely named a'bunadh (it's pronounced a-boon-ah and means 'the origin' in Gaelic). It is non-chill filtered and at full-cask strength, the idea behind the product being to replicate a 19th-century-style whisky matured exclusively in Spanish oak oloroso sherry butts. So, if you like traditional Macalian or Glenfarclas, you're going to love this.

Note that this is released in batches, some of which have been criticised and tasting slightly sulphured (an effect of cask treatment), so if you find a batch you particularly like, it might be an idea to snap up several bottles before it runs out. Equally, it's fun to keep experimenting and, perhaps, taste one batch against another. And this shouldn't be too much of a problem, because, for whisky of this quality and strength (it's usually around the 60% abv mark), it's quite a bargain. Expect to pay about £35.

Colour: Rich and dark.
Nose: A marked sherry character, possibly of honey and dark fruits.
Taste: Can be drunk at full strength but develops with water. Big, mouth filling, Christmas cake, dried fruits, possibly with some citrus and chocolate notes.
Finish: Expect a drawn-out finish, perhaps with evolving spices, oak and some smoky notes.'

gm jack

Smash Lord
He came down for the weekend to see craig, so I organised a smashfest for all the reading people plus ddiz and sean.

Not recorded sadly, though we were both choking quite a lot though out.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
I'm actually gutted would have been the next Armada vs M2k set... you should have said you were hosting I could have come :(. I've worked out I can get a direct train to reading now :D

gm jack

Smash Lord
If I host anything in the summer, I'll definitely open it up to some more people. This was more just a reading "crew" and ddiz, as he was visiting craig.

Tamoo

Smash Master
In the summer, I'd definitely like to come up for a bit, but I don't think George is around then (he's from up north). But yeah, hit me up whenever you host anything with ppl like tristan and sean going, I'm always up for making the journey if it's in the summer :)

Also why was ddiz visiting craig lol?

Yeniths

East Midlands!
If its in the Summer I still may come along as I'll probably have a lot of free time. I may start my dissertation but I don't want to kid myself, it'll be last minute as always, well maybe last month in this case.

FabulousGeorge

Smash Apprentice
Sounds brill, that's along the backs, right? Could I get your number for in case i get lost in my own city?

Tamoo: I just read your post properly; I'm from Cambridge so I'll be here all summer if you were talking about me.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Played Pavan today, he was a lot better that I remembered, I couldn't just rush in relentlessly like I used to. How well do you usually do against him George? I've been training him to beat falcon today lol

rustediron

Smash Lord
George: Sure, that'd be awesome. And don't worry about it lol, just keep playing and keep an eye out for what works and you'll get better pretty quickly

sinai420

Smash Cadet
i dn't suppose u fancy a quick few games tommorow? i'm quite keen to play again as i haven't played in weeks and i don't have a screen here! all i have is my controller!

Top Bottom