• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any tips for my shiek (Video included)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAYilDKPNIM

I'll post some more videos (I have some) when they're on youtube, for now thats what Ive got.

So in that match I pulled out the chain twice by accident.. I know that much. Can anyone give me tips for edgeing peach? I usually just try to fair her if shes above the stage, or needle her to death if shes level with the stage.

Just give me any advice you can, im not asking you to ''rate my shiek'' becuase I know Im not very good.

Trespayne

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trespayne
The main thing I noticed is that you could have continued a combo after down throw and instead you just went with fair. Shiek has amazing tilts, after you downthrow the peach, use forward tilt or upair and some dairs to continue combos.
Also, when peach is trying to come back, use bairs and fairs, they work well against peach.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
The main thing I noticed is that you could have continued a combo after down throw and instead you just went with fair. Shiek has amazing tilts, after you downthrow the peach, use forward tilt or upair and some dairs to continue combos.
Also, when peach is trying to come back, use bairs and fairs, they work well against peach.
Thanks, but you might notice that sometimes the peach DI's out of range of a f-tilt, so generally when the person is above you *out of range* I see a lot of shiek players use nair, or fair when they are infront of you.

I picked it up off captain jack, he downthrows-nair almost every floaty he fights with shiek.

Good tips though, but my MASSIVE tilt combos usually happen on heavier characters like CF.

Ill keep in mind to try out shieks amazing b-air to edge shiek, thanks :)

Kaiten

Smash Rookie
i dont think so much wave dashing is necessary for sheik since shes quick enough already.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
i dont think so much wave dashing is necessary for sheik since shes quick enough already.
I use wavedashing as a means of getting my oponnent to do something, miss it, so that I can get a grab. I agree WD spam is stupid with shiek, but pulse-walking is a great way to get the grabs I find.. :)

I think my needle game is a bit screwed up though, should I do more needle cancelling ya think?

Anyhow, Ill be putting up more vids soon, you cant tell jack from one match.

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
There were also points in the match where peach recovered when she shouldn't have been able to. when she is floating back with the unbrella (and she's low enough), you can wavedash-hog the edge and press L just as she is about to touch you. she will be unable to grab the edge and just float down to her death. You had one or two opportunities to do this in the match thats in the video.

I also am interested in the post before mine. This is the second time i've heard the term "pulse walk". its not in the compendum of terms, so my question is: what IS a pulse walk??

~Kenpachi

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
There were also points in the match where peach recovered when she shouldn't have been able to. when she is floating back with the unbrella (and she's low enough), you can wavedash-hog the edge and press L just as she is about to touch you. she will be unable to grab the edge and just float down to her death. You had one or two opportunities to do this in the match thats in the video.

I also am interested in the post before mine. This is the second time i've heard the term "pulse walk". its not in the compendum of terms, so my question is: what IS a pulse walk??

~Kenpachi
Yeah, my edgehogging needs work. Its tricky to spot when peach can and cant make it back sometimes, however. Ill work on it.

Pluse walking is dashing forwards, and wavedashing backwards to feint an attack and make your opponent react.. if he reacts with a SHFFLED move and misses you can sometimes grab him and start the offensive. I find it verrrry useful with shiek, though fox players coined the term ''pulse walking''

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the pulse walk explanation! I already do that, haha ^^. I also forgot two suggestions for you, but these are on the harder side. you got edge guarded by peaches monstrous down smash (evil evil evil!) and that can be prevented 2 ways. first is edge teching. It will help you out if you get hit before you reach the edge.

This is the thread for it: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=90018

you'll want to pay close attention to post number 23, it has a video for you to watch.

The other suggestion i have is for when you grab the ledge before peach can downsmash. Problem is, she can downsmash again and cancel any f-airs you do afterwards. so, learn to shino stall. Look that move up and practice it, its a ledge move which uses your jump explosions to your advantage AND when done properly gives you invicibility. Look it up by doing a search of the sheik specific forums.

Hope this all helps!

~Kenpachi

shoe

Smash Ace
While rolling behind someone is already a bad idea in general, don't roll behind a standing Peach ever.

Also, autofocus is bottom tier.

Kaiten

Smash Rookie
Although I find it pretty safe to roll behind people who don't really know what theyre doing(AKA new players) Other then that, who does that anymore? I would also like to see more of your sheik vids soon, Dylan, to find more of your constant mistakes.

hellsoldierx15

Smash Journeyman
Combo, combo , combo! Everything was good, but when you grabbed her, most of the time you just naired her. Sheik is THE epitome of comboing, so use her well! But I must say, your needle work near the edge at the beginning was quite impressive.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
you seem to play sheik rather slow, i must say. try to speed it up a bit and put more pressure on the opponent. when you grab at higher percents, be gay and slap the 3 or 4 times before throwing. why waste perfectly good damage for no reason...peace

-hiroshi

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
you seem to play sheik rather slow, i must say. try to speed it up a bit and put more pressure on the opponent. when you grab at higher percents, be gay and slap the 3 or 4 times before throwing. why waste perfectly good damage for no reason...peace

-hiroshi
good advice man. Speed is something I should pick up for sure.

Also to the above guy ^^ Thanks for the thread but im no nub. I can edgetech I just missed it in the video.

Banks

Smash Hero
you could space better, sometimes you are doing tilts or aerials against her sheild like right next to her, even tho she didnt realy get anything off of it, someone better than that peach would prbley grab or dsmash you when ur doing that.

camera was too focused. jk.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Ya I fixed the focus problem.

Ive been maining falco and have like 25 videos of my falco playign now.. im GOOD with falco but not CONSISTENT like I am with shiek, so I may aswell pick her up again.

Like my friend has a pretty good CF, I beat him like 60-70% of the time as falco, and 98% of the time as shiek, usually 2-3 stocked. I do pretty well versus people with shiek at bi-weekly too, not saying im anything great right NOW but I think I have shiek potential >.>

So I think next time I smash (thursday) Ill make a few shiek vids, upload them and post them in this thead so you guys can see more of my style.

Peace

Banks

Smash Hero
it looks like you know what your doing, I think you could benefit by going to a really big tournament, i recommend pound 2 if you are anywhere near maryland.

Top Bottom