• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else worried that bosses will ruin some stages?

xerui

Smash Rookie
To start, I'm a fan of passive stage hazards. Whether it's the lava on the Metroid stages, or the boxes that blow up on Green Greens, I've never really had an issue with most of these stage hazards. It's what makes Smash, well...Smash.

However, the Yellow Devil on the Wiley Castle stage is more than just a passive stage hazard...it's an all out intrusion. I haven't liked the idea of the Yellow Devil since day one when I heard about him during the Smash Bros Direct. And, sure enough, I hated him when I got the chance to play the stage at Best Buy.

It's intrusive and disrupts the fight completely, and it changes the dynamic of the fight to the point where it really isn't even Smash anymore. In the most recent video from GameXplain, they felt exactly the same way (starts at about 34 minutes in) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHE5-jEGQgY&list=UUfAPTv1LgeEWevG8X_6PUOQ#t=2033. At my Best Buy event, pretty much NO ONE wanted to play Wiley Castle for the exact same reason - the Yellow Devil.

Here is my main concern with this - Sakurai won't allow us to disable the Yellow Devil, and will tell us to play the FD version of the stage. The problem is, the FD version of the stage ISN'T the stage - it's FD with a cosmetic makeover. The actual stage I like - it has a small main area with moving platforms around it. The problem is the Yellow Devil. And in the Smash Bros Direct, Sakurai said the bosses will appear on other stages as well.

Given my extreme dislike of the Yellow Devil, and the unlikely possibility of players having the option to turn it off, I'm starting to get worried that other decent stages with potential may be "ruined" by the presence of some invasive boss...

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Man, I can't wait to beat the Yellow Devil as Samus! Pew pew, pew pew! /having fun with a video game, shocking isn't it?

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
Yeah I'm really not liking the idea of adding Stage Bosses either. Let's hope that Pyrosphere or a potential Xenoblade Stage won't be ruined because of a Stage Boss..

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Best reason to support Ridley: We may finally have a competitive Metroid stage.

(Pyrosphere looks like a decent CP without a stage boss)
Yes. When I saw that stage I thought "This is the best stage in the game" I know it was pretty early on and we didn't know too many stages but still... I really wanted it to be competitive with those platforms. FD version it is.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
You gotta figure half the stages won't be very playable for a lot of people, casual or not. However, It's a shame such an awesome looking stage like Wily's Castle is ruined by an overly disruptive hazard.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I wasn't too concerned until I saw how damn frequent it is,based on the invitational.

And of course two of my favorite looking stages seem to have one...

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
We have only seen Yellow Devil so far. And yeah, it does look he takes a lot of space in a match. Still, no more obnoxious that the scrolling in Jungle Falls in Brawl.
Lets wait and see how annoying are the Find Mii and Pyrosphere(?) bosses.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If we didn't have FD versions of certain stages, I'd just be upset. I won't be playing on non-FD Wily's Castle very often.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Yeah a option to turn them off would go a long way the only time i would final D a stage if it was too big like the KI stage on WiiU.

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
I basically agree. I've always liked Dream Land 64, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story, Battlefield, Smashville, Halberd, etc. more than Final Destination because I want at least one platform, so just having FD versions of a stage doesn't quite do it for me.

mkwLM

Smash Rookie
I liked the idea of Yellow Devil at first until I saw how frequent and disruptive its appearances are. I don't mind that kind of boss showing up in Adventure Mode but for a versus match, it seems like more of an annoyance than anything. :ohwell:

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I think if the frequency of appearances were toned down, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. I wouldn't want it to be totally predictable or too uncommon, but if there were a 25% chance of it appearing every 2 minutes, that would seem about right.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Just when I thought Sakurai had done it with Norfair, he one up's himself with this. It's one thing where a hazard might alter a course of a match, but to completely derail it is not very desirable.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
If the YD only appeared once a match and was a bigger spectacle I'd like him. Right now he's about as annoying as certain stages in SSE. I hope Ridley doesn't suffer the same issue.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
All the game needs as an option to turn off hazards for individual stages, as long as "hazards" doesn't include platforms.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
It'll be a huge shame if potential competitive stages (or CP stages) are rendered useless for competitive play because of the bosses. Wiley's Castle and Pyrosphere are perfect examples. Absolutely nothing wrong with these stages for the competitive scene, until you add in the bosses.

I'm 100% with you. WC looked fantastic with the way the platforms move around...until the Yellow Devil.

Syroco

Smash Apprentice
Not really. A lot of the previous stages have weird mechanics / events that can turn the tide of battle. Maps like WarioWare Inc., Spear Pillar, and stages like Corneria and Brinstar come to mind. Bosses aren't really anything significantly different from previous mechanics or events seen in stages.... they're just kind of "flashy."

& if you're worried about a map losing it's potential competitiveness because of a boss, don't forget they all get a FD version with Fox only 4 stock.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Not really. A lot of the previous stages have weird mechanics / events that can turn the tide of battle. Maps like WarioWare Inc., Spear Pillar, and stages like Corneria and Brinstar come to mind. Bosses aren't really anything significantly different from previous mechanics or events seen in stages.... they're just kind of "flashy."

& if you're worried about a map losing it's potential competitiveness because of a boss, don't forget they all get a FD version with Fox only 4 stock.
I dunno, those mentioned stages is like splashing water onto a boxing ring and making the boxers slip. YD is like having a third guy in the ring with the boxers occasionally shooting them with a taser gun.

Also a FD version of every stage is boring. It would have been better to just have no hazards/hazards versions of the stages. I think PlayStation Allstars had an option like that.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord

Spear Pillar and Brinstar depths at least had room to move around. Wiley castle is really small when the devil is onstage.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
I think we can all agree that while the bosses are a cool idea, they are going to absolutely ruin some great stages if there isn't an off switch. The ability to turn stage hazards off is one of the few things PSA got right (like sunshinesan mentioned) I just hope smash follows suit.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
I dunno, those mentioned stages is like splashing water onto a boxing ring and making the boxers slip. YD is like having a third guy in the ring with the boxers occasionally shooting them with a taser gun.

Also a FD version of every stage is boring. It would have been better to just have no hazards/hazards versions of the stages. I think PlayStation Allstars had an option like that.
It did and Sakurai said that's y he wont let u turn off stage hazards he said if u want that play PlayStation all stars.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
I really wish there was an option to turn off stage bosses. The very idea of a fightable boss popping up in the middle of a fighting game stage doesn't make sense to me, it's completely disruptive and annoying. Total shame, because Wily's Castle and Pyrosphere look like great stages otherwise - good music selection, cool visual design, fair platform layout...if not for the bosses.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I never wanted a hazard switch until I actually saw the Yellow Devil on screen. Maybe bosses will be less annoying on other stages though, since one of the problems seems to be how small the stage is compared to how big the Yellow Devil is.

Find Mii for example seems to be a good size compared to the emperor ghost thing, at least, based on the footage we've seen of that place.

Syroco

Smash Apprentice
I think we can all agree that while the bosses are a cool idea, they are going to absolutely ruin some great stages if there isn't an off switch. The ability to turn stage hazards off is one of the few things PSA got right (like sunshinesan mentioned) I just hope smash follows suit.
I don't agree with this at all (alas we are all titled to our own opinions.) You're implying that bosses ruin stages.... as if the stages were meant to be without the bosses. But it can be deduced that probably most of the stages containing bosses were planned to have bosses (hazard) in them from the get go. So Corneria, Spear Pillar, and other stages like these that have guest characters/units as hazards ruined? It really hasn't been an issue before. The hazards in Smash 4 are just more sophisticated because of the hardware they are on, the opportunity is there to introduce some really cool stage hazards. It's like you're saying Mushroom Kingdom shouldn't be a side-scrolling stage.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
i just hope they give us a random stage option tab with advanced options like this for every single stage:

stage:
On (if its legal)
Off (if it has too many game changing hazards)
FD version (if the stage has a FD version like on "for glory" that has no hazards/weird edges/any stupid detail that ruins gameplay... this would be pretty much an option to give the game variety and give hazardous stages legal playability)

Celestis

Smash Ace
Only slightly. Depends on how many levels we get with shenanigans. If its not to many, then bring on the bosses!

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
The only thing at my Best Buy that people were talking about (other than "omg Smash bros I'm gonna wins your faces") was the Yellow Devil and how they could not wait to beat the sh*t out of it.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
If there's enough bosses, which is seems like(?) there will be, I think there will be an off switch in options.

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice

How many of those maps are in the competitive map roster? There is a reason for that.

Top Bottom