• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone find All-Star / Classic not as fun as in previous games?

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
I'm finding All-Star a real bore and annoying because the roster is so large. It takes a while to go through and you ALWAYS have to fight Ness and Lucas on that awful New Pork City. I don't think I'm ever going to play All-Star again now that I have every characters' final smash trophy.

And Classic just seems to have lost a bit of its heart and soul from the previous two games. Where are the wire frames or fighting polygon team? The alloy squad should have been in Classic. But the assortment of random 1v1, metal character, team battle, and giant battle just don't seem as much fun as in Melee. And then there's the fact that we're down to one minigame between levels (break the targets). Although we get two levels of it, I think the variety of board the platforms and the trophy minigame helped a lot, although race to the finish can go die in a fire for all I care.

SSE might have contributed a lot to this feeling as its gameplay is varied enough to keep my interest a lot longer than these modes. But I do find Boss Mode a lot of fun.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I haven't gotten All Star open yet (I only got the game a few days ago) but I agree that something seems missing from Classic, it's not as enjoyable to play through repeatedly as it was in the past games and I'm rather dreading doing it with every character.

Now I'm dreading All Star a bit too :p

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I agree.

Classic mode especially bothers me. It's just way too linear this time around. Like having it set as Zelda the first fight - what is this, SSB64? I appreciated the randomness of classic mode in Melee, it kind of made it bearable to play through to unlock Young Link, but this time, going through 10 characters to get Sonic is a huge pain.

Also why do we have two target tests, and two team battles/giant battles? It just makes it frustrating. They should have brought back Board the Platforms and Race to the Finish.

Also, both of Donkey Kong's stages drive me insane, more so than New Pork City.

All Star mode doesn't seem as bad, but I still have no motive to play through it. I noticed it's pretty linear too, fighting the characters in the same order. It just makes it less fun to play through for some reason.

Qlink

Smash Apprentice
Classic...Boring as crap
All star...Still boring...

Adventure...Its ok and 100 times better then classic and all star...

Magikarp

Smash Cadet
I used to love All-Star, but now I can't stand it because of how linear it is. I always looked foward to fighting random teams, but now it's all the same people, and quite frankly it's a bit hard. >_>

FlaccidSnake

Smash Rookie
Brawl's Classic mode just doesn't feel right to me, and it's partially because of the load times in Brawl.

I'm OK with All-Star mode, though. I like how they grouped the characters by series.

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
Definitely not as fun. It's such a hassle trying to get all the character trophies...

New Pork City and DK Stages must disappear... now!

Young_Link808

Smash Apprentice
its so boring and freaking long it takes forever to beat classic with all characters but i did it

and its even longer in freaking all star

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In Classic Mode, you may face some giant characters. They're big trouble even on Easy since even their weakest attacks can deal heavy damage to you.

NukeA6

Smash Master
You're not alone. Allstar and Classic aren't as good as they once were.

To start off, Classic mode feels like Smash64 all over again. Sure, we're not always gonna fight the same opponents but why should they be grouped by series? I liked the randomness in Melee's Classic mode. I would fight Marth first and then team battle between Link and Yoshi. And why doesn't Brawl's Classic Mode use the Melee stages? I get tired of being in Brawl's DK stages and would rather play in Jungle Japes. What about Green Greens which would fit Kirby and King Dedede? They didn't bring back Board the Platforms but at least they could've had Race to the Finish. I also hate how it's harder to face Crazy Hand now.

Allstar mode also suffers from having characters being grouped by series. It should be random just like in Melee. Then again, maybe they should have left this in Melee.

cuppiecakes

Smash Rookie
Yeah. At first All star was fun but now it's just the same thing over and over again, I don't wanna do it ><

Classic is significantly more boring than Melee's :/ But at least there's other parts of Brawl that make up for that.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I think if they didn't have certain set parts of classic mode (like Zelda always first) it would be infinitely better. This is mostly because some of the matches you are fighting the same people every time...

All-star just failed though. I wasn't a fan in Melee and it's even worse in Brawl with the set-in-stone line up. At least I am done with it with each character now, and at least once on each difficulty...

I also hate the BTT now, because there are 5 levels, and you have to do all 5 with every character. It'd be better if there were 5 per character, but it gets old fast with the same ones. That and classic I still need to clear with each character...

6footninja

Smash Ace
I think we expected it to be different from Melees' in a lot of ways. Well, it wasn't so now it just seems repetitive. Thats why I personally find it a bit of a bore

solesoul

Smash Apprentice
Its just amazingly frustrating to have to break the targets in Classic mode...TWICE!! I don't even like the break the targets in this game, because it was so much better when it was tailored to each character.

And All-star just feels like a drag to me, I really don't care for it anymore

Maku

Smash Apprentice
Yeah im soo tired of classic..
I unlocked boss battles and it was a lot of fun, i think its the best mode.
I unlocked all star.... and yeah i still haven't tried it...
Nontheless Smash's gold is all in the Multiplayer!!

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
Someone on GameFAQs pointed out that All-Star's fights are organized by franchise in chronological order. That means you start out fighting the oldest (Game & Watch) and fight toward the newest (Pikmin). That's kind of cool in a way, but it's still boring as hell.

Top Bottom