• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone manage to start a Smash club in their high school?

a nub

Smash Ace
If your school has an anime club check it out. Maybe it was only in my case, but at mine like 99% of them played games there. It just so happens that when I found it, they were playing melee :)

Turned out that there was more melee at the club than anime. I'm president now so I make sure that still holds lol. Sadly most of them who played melee and were any good graduated right before we started getting serious about improving. My friend and I started going to tournies together though so it's all good.

N64

Smash Champion
You might want to try to do it through another already existing club, or a more 'general' club to get more support and initial members. For instance, a friend and I started a 'Gamers Club' which was for video games in general, and about half the club played smash while the other half played whatever else people brought in.

So I'd say your best options are:
1. Find similar clubs (video game club, board game club, anime club, ddr club, etc.) and see if you can tack on smash to their club.
2. Broaden your club to a video game or just games (board, card, video, etc.) club, that way you're more likely to find a sponsor and get interested members.
3. Find out your school's policies on starting a club (for mine you simply had to find a teacher sponsor and present a club agenda to the administration) and get cracking on getting that approved.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Heh, reminds me of whenever it was one of the last weeks of the first semester of the school year; we were allowed to bring consoles to band class for kicks (since we had no need for practicing, as our final concert was out of the way).
First day of being allowed, they bring a GCN and a copy of Smash Bros. Melee and played it on the (normally unused) computer television. I was just a spectator, but it was quite a show. Haven't forgotten that.

On the topic at hand, sadly, no clubs from where I used to attend... so quite impossible. Would've been really neat, though.

ShootingStars

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the only thing I am worried about is:

1) Principal won't approve due to GAMES not like education...
2) Most people in my school are Halo enthusiasts... and there are THOSE people who always never listen and screw things up -_- (those immature kids). This is why I want it to be Smash only... those Halo enthusiasts would ruin the club.

Should I keep it Smash only? It can't just be some hangout club... I know I can't keep it Smash only since it wouldn't get approved easily then...

What else can I make the club instead of Smash only that wouldn't attract unwanted people?

The only reasons I got for making the club:
1) Stress relief from school after school
2) I can provide the system + controllers (Friends can help)

AXE 09

Smash Master
i didn't technically START a smash club at my high school, but i CONTINUED one

at my high school when i was a freshman, V3ctorman held a tournament for Melee at the end of the school year. ever since then, i had an extreme urge to try to be the best. of course, i lost first round at that tourney. i sucked lol.

but the following school year, i found out that Vman decided to start a club for Melee, called "Smash League". we very quickly became very good friends, and even now, we're best friends. eventually, after vman graduated and i became a junior, he passed the presidential status to me. boy oh boy, was running that club tough or what o.O so much drama lol. but i was just so happy to be able to play melee all the time =)

so... i never really knew how he started the club in the first place lol. but if you want advice on how to start one, i highly recommend to ask v3ctorman. he's the one who started it at my school (and he's the person i have to thank for inspiring me to become a competetive melee player)

S l o X

Smash Champion
Video Game Club @ my school. Every other week (Fridays) we play Melee.
Lately though, Melee has been going on for a while. I'm only a sophomore and have to run the club because the two good players, who happen to be seniors are always busy. When I first joined I was bad but now I'm easily the best in the school. It's been the same people but every year we get another 4+ freshmen.

I wish I could start a Melee specific club but I don't think the turnout would come out to well. People get put down by losing...which I don't understand because when I lose I'm happy I've found people (<3 smash community) that **** me.

on topic: try going around asking people from different clubs if they'd be interesting in such an event. if you can get more than 4/5 then I'd think you'd be fine. It'd just grow from then on...I'm sure.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
IDK what the rules are at your high school, but all i needed was a teacher willing to give me a room, 2-3 gcns and tvs, or at least one, and a friend or two to start playing with me. Check with your school to see if theyll even allow it in the first place, and keep your stuff in your backpack so it doesnt get stolen (granted, if all youre doing it bring gcns, few are gonna want to steal it).

Once you have the club started, the first time will probably just be you and your one or two friends, but if you spread it around the school more people should come, and if youre lucky youll find someone better than you, but if not you can have fun perfecting your combos and taking kids money by having $1 entry tourneys and stuff.

In my experience anime club people are weird as hell, so i would stay away from them, all the kids i know in anime club are just gross and many of them play WoW instead of smash.

I dont think theres anyone that plays melee in my high school, we have some good brawl ppl, but thats it.

Good luck ,it is a worthy endeavor

S l o X

Smash Champion
thanks for the advice hbox (:

@doomblaze

Yeah we needed a room for when we started and this year, we got an offer to be able to use the biggest room in the school (the music room) after school hours til 6 on Fridays or anyday. If I still attend the school I'm going to now next year, chances are I'll take that up - change the name of the club etc...

We play on projector which is kind of gay because of lag but I think with some support of a teacher (which we need to start the club anyway) we can get at least one TV running for us.

Best advice is find a teacher who will trust you and who you know. Tell him about it. Get some people together and dates to play on and there you go.

wiitubeaccount

Smash Apprentice
**** idk if people would be willing to join a smash club, especially for melee, in my school. it needs more convincing than brawl since it's older and people are addicted to mw2.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
I use to have a smash club alternating with an anime club, but I stopped bringing my cube cause I was sick of noobs who dont know how to recover or do anything other than walk and ftilt.
But yeah, look for a cool teacher who doesn't mind you using a TV in his/her room at lunchtimes and you're all set :chuckle:

Wuss

Smash Champion
My friends and I started the most legit unofficial club ever. Basically, we just decided to start playing smash every friday after school, and the rest is history. We met every single friday (almost at least) for 4 years. It doesn't have to be official if you know a few people that are interested.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
My friends and I never started any official club or anything, but we played smash every lunch in the computer lab.

I'm not sure how successful you can be if you straight up started a smash club. I'm sure if you introduced smash into say, an anime club or something of the like, it could garner some attention that way.

Ekoli

Smash Journeyman
at my old highschool before i moved, we had a teacher let us use her room where students came and used the computers, and when we played melee, they'd watch and want us to play. So then we'd showcase some techskill and they were amazed and wanted to learn, and once you get those ppl, it spreads until u get a full-fledged smash group and have tournaments school-wide, and thats how it worked for me lol

rason110290

Smash Apprentice
My school was nitpicky on things like making a VIDEOGAME club.
So I made a club that focused on what I deemed Unconventional Sports; ie Rubiks Cubing, Cupstacking, Yoyoing and other random things that take skill but dont have much recognition. SmashBros falls under that category and we set up a projector during lunch and smashed away.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
You just need a teacher that will give up his room at lunch, and doesn't mind smash.

At my school, we have a Chem teacher who's nuts about Smash, Dragonball Z, and Pokemon. His room is open every day at lunch, so that's where Smash happens. It's not an actual club, since that requires officers and all, so it's just something we do at lunch. And btw, it's only Melee haha.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Oh, people do it at LUNCH?

. . . my "club" does it after schools in a room from 2:30 - 5:00 (or sometimes earlier because the cleaners come through)

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how it started. But a bunch of asians had a club in my school last year. Sadly they all graduated, I'm thinking of continuing their legacy. They were straight up melee players too. Too bad I never see any of them on the forums

X1-12

Smash Champion
if you have like a common room (dunno if schools in america have them) basically like a chill out room for the older kids in the school to hang out watch TV then you could just try and bring a cube along and plug it in see if anyone wants to play then if you get loads of people ask about starting a club, if not just play casually

Rappster

Smash Ace
we have a videogames club at my school, but i got tired of playing crappy wii games, so i bring my cube each day, regardless of what the scheduled game was.

a few weeks back, the entire school got locked down while i was in videogames club. smash for 3 hours! woot

qwaszx7410

Smash Rookie
If you're worried about getting immature Halo players, just make it a Nintendo club like my school did, and it will become 90% melee, maybe a little brawl.

tect

Smash Journeyman
A good friend of mine and I started a smash club at our university last year. We advertised the club on Facebook, telling our friends who knew smashers to direct their attention to our page. Afterwards (the next year), we set up a booth at the yearly 'Clubs Night' and got signatures and e-mail addresses to direct people to our Facebook page. Since we had enough members, we were able to have our club ratified by the student government, and next year we will get funding and space on campus!

tl;dr I suppose is to reach people (if you are looking for new members) through social networking or advertisements and get a way of contacting them in the future. If things take off, then acquiring an official mandate should not be too difficult if you have enough support. You may need to talk your way into it with teachers and the like, however, at a high school.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
i didn't start a club... more like a tradition..
my freshmen year of highschool i brought in a cube and we played smash every day in homeroom (and when ever we could sneak in and not get caught lol)
and over the years more and more kids come in and play.
so many Bk's who played and stuck with it have became really good and love smash.
till this day..(my senior year) we have been playing every morning. and i had a tournament for my senior project that 60+ kids came to.

wheresDent

Smash Rookie
I just managed to get a club going at my school. Our IT manager ended up being our adult adviser, and we play during lunchtimes.

We picked Sm4sh to play because most of the people in our school learned on Brawl, and it's definitely simpler to learn then Melee or PM. I'm trying to teach everyone about competitive play and whatnot (used Jiggs' rest as an extreme example of a move you can punish) but it's slow going. We only have two tvs and systems, but we're fundraising and will hopefully get another soon. Our first tournament is coming up, and i'll think it'll go well.

My advice for anyone trying to do this is to present it like a competitive tournament, where you have one or two people in charge and everyone else is just invited to come and play. We don't have club officers or anything, just players, and that attitude has done a lot to bring in people who may not otherwise show up.

Quinfordmac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
quinford_GameCo
I just managed to get a club going at my school. Our IT manager ended up being our adult adviser, and we play during lunchtimes.

We picked Sm4sh to play because most of the people in our school learned on Brawl, and it's definitely simpler to learn then Melee or PM. I'm trying to teach everyone about competitive play and whatnot (used Jiggs' rest as an extreme example of a move you can punish) but it's slow going. We only have two tvs and systems, but we're fundraising and will hopefully get another soon. Our first tournament is coming up, and i'll think it'll go well.

My advice for anyone trying to do this is to present it like a competitive tournament, where you have one or two people in charge and everyone else is just invited to come and play. We don't have club officers or anything, just players, and that attitude has done a lot to bring in people who may not otherwise show up.
Imagine bumping a five years dead thread like this

hunterlittle

Smash Rookie
a bunch of kids at my high school made one. I've only been to the thing twice but its a great way to meet some people that love smash as much as you:foxmelee:

Top Bottom