• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone Meditate?

DarkWolf123

Smash Apprentice
Hey Does anyone Meditate? I just thought it would be cool, because I try and meditate at least 2 times a day. So i just wanted to see if anyone else likes to meditate, because i love to meditate, it just calms me down. Especially when I'm having a stressful day, it just helps me calm down and let go of all those emotions. So if anyone else meditates than i guess we can share some techniques (lol) or something that helps make you calm down.

Also if you don't meditate than maybe you should try it out, just go outside and empty your mind. Just think about nothing and let go of all your emotions, if you want to know other ways to meditate than don't hesitate to ask. :) :) :) :) :)

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
Meditating is hard. You have to clear your mind...impossible for me. When I'm stressed I just go to bed earlier, or listen to music, or play a video game. Venting to your friends always works too. Sleep is my substitution for meditating.

However, I can't nap. Napping screws up my entire sleep cycle (unless I had a lack of sleep the night before).

DarkWolf123

Smash Apprentice
Meditating is hard. You have to clear your mind...impossible for me. When I'm stressed I just go to bed earlier, or listen to music, or play a video game. Venting to your friends always works too. Sleep is my substitution for meditating.

However, I can't nap. Napping screws up my entire sleep cycle (unless I had a lack of sleep the night before).
Its not impossible to meditate for anyone, its all mental, anyone can do it. But its harder for osme people than others. Maybe you should try it if you want...

Also, that asian remark is very racists, and i mediatate im not asian. Well hopefull you were not serious...:chuckle:

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Yes, I know how to meditate, but I only do it usually on stressful, sometimes when I wake up, and always before I sleep. It's not like the "huuuuuuum.....huuuuuum crossing-my-legs-in-a-funny-way" stuff that kinda stereotypes it. Just closing my eyes, taking deep breaths, letting all my thoughts go in sort of a trashcan, sort of a living sleep. Usually 10-20 minutes. A little creepy the first couple times I remember, but very relaxing once I learned how and when to do it :)

DarkWolf123

Smash Apprentice
YES exactly, i try and do it in the morning and at night. And people do think all it is, is crossing your legs and having the hands on your knees. But its not, your right its just like throwing all your thoughts into a garbage can. And i use it to relax, its very useful!

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
To OP, there are a whole host of different meditation specific to all different sorts of religions, even Christianity lays claim to types of meditation. As for me, I prefer traditional Buddhist meditation, Vippasana.

You said that you concentrate on getting rid of emotions but I think thats going in the wrong direction, since emotions are products of thoughts.

The type of meditation I practice, vippasana, focuses on the breath and more specifically to the sensation of air passing along the thresh hold of the nostrils.

As for tips I would say a lot of people focus too hard on riding themselves of thought, meditation should be more of an observation of thought; its just that thought tends to dissipate when it's put under real observation.

I also think its not hard for particular people in general; I think the people who think its hard are the people who need it most.

Another thing I don't view meditation as useful in any material ways. I would say that meditation should not be used for purposes related to your daily life, its not supposed to be for that. If you think that you will have a stressful week and meditate in response to that then your simply mis using it. meditation is used to shed a superficial "life" not deal with it. Meditation is for you, not your problems or your life, thats why its unbiased, thats why it relaxes you. If you keep using it in relation to anything other than itself and thus (due to the nature of the activity) yourself your cheating yourself and eventually it will become unsatisfying and you will abandon it as something that doesn't suit you any more.

DarkWolf123

Smash Apprentice
You got a point, and i don't use it to fix my problems i use it to relax to just be at peace and it makes life a whole lot better because you are relaxed. Also, i try and empty my mind, and you try and observe your thoughts. I think i will vippasana, tonight...

Blackadder

Smash Master
I only meditate before and after a smash-off!

Seriosuly, no, I don't.
I can't clear my mind. I've tried it to help me sleep, but nope. I just keep thinking of things. I've often thought of trying to meditate...but whatever.
Mabye I'll try it and succsefully do it one of these days.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
Yes, but not like those ninja monks that say in movies
"UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"

WTF is with the um!

Anyway, it isn't hard for me to meditate at all.
I will give you losers a few tips:

1. Do not try hard to eliminate everything. Our brains are too active to not
think.

2. Do not try to put much thought in your subject other then is needed. You will need an appropriate investment of thought.

3.(a big one) There is actually TWO you should have in your head. Yourself and your object.
As I said the elimination of all irrelevant thoughts is impossible. You, however, can replace those thoughts with yourself and still be relevant to the subject. Therefore there are THREE things you should have in mind:
A. The subject.
B. The relationship you have with the subject. YOU are thinking of the subject. If you didn't have your intelligence you wont be able to think.
C. The new information. Once you process the subject; a new set of information is acquired. You must keep that information to expand on it and repeat the process.
I usually meditate for math.

Only Asians should be allowed to meditate.
No. I meditate and I'm not Asian. Well, I am half Cambodian. But people wan't you to believe that. Look:
Kapuchea is in the roo' land.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
1. Do not try hard to eliminate everything. Our brains are too active to not
think.
well its true you shouldn't try too hard because it tends to be counter productive, but our brains definitely the capability of ceasing abstract thought, In meditation its crucial to notice ALL thoughts , even those that are noticing other thoughts.

2. Do not try to put much thought in your subject other then is needed. You will need an appropriate investment of thought.
The purpose is to invest attention, not thought, in fact you know you are doing good when thought goes away.

3.(a big one) There is actually TWO you should have in your head. Yourself and your object.
As I said the elimination of all irrelevant thoughts is impossible. You, however, can replace those thoughts with yourself and still be relevant to the subject. Therefore there are THREE things you should have in mind:
A. The subject.
B. The relationship you have with the subject. YOU are thinking of the subject. If you didn't have your intelligence you wont be able to think.
C. The new information. Once you process the subject; a new set of information is acquired. You must keep that information to expand on it and repeat the process.
I usually meditate for math.
Thats a different type of meditation that I definitely wouldn't recommend for beginners. The elimination of all irrelevant thoughts IS possible. you should never have more that one thing on the mind when you meditate. "B." Intelligence is not neccesary. "C" no processing, are you even listening to yourself?.

No. I meditate and I'm not Asian...
agreed.

Smash Master
I can't do it. I've tried many times. I try to focus my mind on my breathing, but it doesn't really help. My mind wanders easily. I usually try to do it when I'm in pain, like when my ears won't pop on an airplane or something, or like when I'm in a really warm car.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
Pika, I believe it's "Om." :|

I try to meditate at least once a day, it literally keeps me from strangling people at times.

And for those who can't - Keep trying. You'll get it eventually.
It's a pretty hard thing to get the hang of...but once you get it, it's like riding a bicycle.
At least for me it is..

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
The purpose is to invest attention, not thought, in fact you know you are doing good when thought goes away.
Attention is part of thought. If you invest attention thought will follow immediately. Thought process:

1. Recognition of subject alone. (attention)

2. Define the subject.

Next two possible things can happen.

3a. Use the definition of the subject to expand on the subject.

3b. Use relevant information to expand on the subject.

4. New relevant information is thought up.

With ought attention, irrelevant thought will ****** the thinking process or even stop it.

By just using #1 and not #2-4 you make no mental progress and the point of meditation is destroyed.

you should never have more that one thing on the mind when you meditate. "B."
As I stated before, you can't think with ought relevant information, because even if
you can think of the subject alone, the new processed information will contradict.

Intelligence is not necessary.
*respells necessary*
Intelligence IS needed with the complexity of the processing information. With meditation you can only go so far with a finite knowledge/ intelligence.

I'm Asian!
w00t! Lets have an Asian party!

Pika, I believe it's "Om." :|
Do you know where your milk comes from?

i am asian
Yay! More people joining the Asian party!

my grade 5 teacher made us meditate a few years back and i struggled with everything the silence no moving even thinkking
Hahahahahhahhahahhahhhahhahhhahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahahahaha........
...ha
..ha
..Haaa

I'm done.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
To pika

If you are talking about Christian or western meditation then fine, I can't touch you, because if thats what you are talking about then anything you say about it will be politically correct; just throw the word any where you want. However, if you are talking about eastern meditation or even more specific such as Hindu or Buddhist derived meditation then you are not by any means meditating.

Attention is part of thought. If you invest attention thought will follow immediately. Thought process:

Its simply not. I am talking about abstracted concepts of smells, taste, touches, sights, and sounds. Attention to these smells, taste, touches, sights, and sounds is not attention to our concepts of them, in fact they are often opposites. Attention is attention, its not part of thought; Thought is only a single function of a single part of the brain. To say that if you are paying attention to something and by extension you are thinking about it is wrong. Paying attention to something without thinking about it is the basis of most (object based) meditation.

1. Recognition of subject alone. (attention)

2. Define the subject.

Next two possible things can happen.

3a. Use the definition of the subject to expand on the subject.

3b. Use relevant information to expand on the subject.

4. New relevant information is thought up.

With ought attention, irrelevant thought will ****** the thinking process or even stop it.

By just using #1 and not #2-4 you make no mental progress and the point of meditation is destroyed.

Something that particularly pisses me off is that the western world deems stuff like this as meditation. Which one of those steps separates itself from learning about something as mediation? What makes those things different from learning or thinking about something and, instead, makes it mediation?

1. I see water

2. I call it water

3. I see water is wet

4. I think if I don't want to get wet I should stay away from water.

If you want to call that western meditation, fine.

But don't call us losers, rub your cultural ignorance in our face, and pretend to know about everything you talk about when both the majority and origin of the subject at hand don't in any way resemble the activity you are talking about.

Its Aum.

and its the first part of a sentence in a chant that that goes "aum mani padme hum" which means "here I am." The Aum part to the best of my knowledge is similar to our "I am" except without the "I" part though its not really "am."

*respells necessary*
Intelligence IS needed with the complexity of the processing information. With meditation you can only go so far with a finite knowledge/ intelligence.
Intelligence is needed for learning/western meditation, which after your definition seem to be pretty much the same thing.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
It's Aum by the way. I meditate before football games. I'm not heavily religious but I like to combine practices from alot of them that help to lead a good life without the whole bowing down to a greater entity thing. Stretching helps you stay loose and fresh, and meditating does the same for your mind and soul.
When I meditate I try and let go of who I am, what I am, how I am, ditch the ego, and just BE.

I'm American and it kill's me to see the way people are so narrow minded when it comes to religion. I'll be the first to say that I do not deny your gods, I do not deny your practices. Catholocism and Christianity in general have been so perverted from their original disciplines that thsoe people have no right at all to judge others. You can practice what you like, but others should have the right to practice their own religion with out being judged or labeled and stereotyped.

EDIT: Woops! Varuna corrected 'Om' first. I didn't even see it.

DarkWolf123

Smash Apprentice
You are right, most americans don't think you could do anyhting with your mind but you can, if you want you could lift objects with your mind. But the problem someone would have with that is they don't belive it's possible. People only use around 10% of their brain power, so trust me you can do anything with your mind. And meditating is a way to train your mind, and you may be able to lift somehting without touching it. But that takes alot of practice and mental stability. :)

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
You want to know how much religious tolerance I have to put up with in my area? There are people who wouldn't see Harry Potter this week because theres BLACK MAGIC in it..

DarkWolf123

Smash Apprentice
LOL my friends mom won't let him read the books because of that. Wow dude thats crazy... People are jsut scared and they think it's evil or soemthing. Wow.... that jsut amazes me somethimes, people are really narrow minded. :laugh: noobs... :chuckle:

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Sometimes the only thing that conquers my insomnia: I'm kept up for hours at a time by random, stray thoughts. It's difficult to control them and make them go away, but once you do, I can go to sleep instantly, or just enjoy being.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
LOL my friends mom won't let him read the books because of that. Wow dude thats crazy... People are jsut scared and they think it's evil or soemthing. Wow.... that jsut amazes me somethimes, people are really narrow minded. :laugh: noobs... :chuckle:

Religious intolerant noobs! lol..

EDIT: Sorry for the one liner folks. I got owned by the mod for it. Apologies to all!

Spot

Smash Cadet
It's quite a coincidence that I should come across this thread. I was just about to go meditate when I decided to check out the Smashboards first. I ususally meditate for 10 to 20 minutes as well. One thing that I do for mediation that probably none you do is go and sit on the roof. I realize that the roof is not the best place to be for getting away from sensory distractions, but it is the most calm and nice place I can think of. The type of meditation I practice is more Eastern, I think. I learned a lot of my meditative techniques from Shinzen Young CDs, if that gives you a better idea.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's quite a coincidence that I should come across this thread. I was just about to go meditate when I decided to check out the Smashboards first. I ususally meditate for 10 to 20 minutes as well. One thing that I do for mediation that probably none you do is go and sit on the roof. I realize that the roof is not the best place to be for getting away from sensory distractions, but it is the most calm and nice place I can think of. The type of meditation I practice is more Eastern, I think. I learned a lot of my meditative techniques from Shinzen Young CDs, if that gives you a better idea.

Sensory deprivation does not make for bad meditation, its just that for a lot of beginners some sensory input makes the person instinctively divert their attention from they are doing.

You might want to try reading this E-book.

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/mfneng/mind0.htm

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
People only use around 10% of their brain power, so trust me you can do anything with your mind.
Forgive me for going off topic, but the "10%" thing is a myth that I hate to see perpetuated. You use most of your brain at all times, that's why it's there.

But on topic, I do not meditate.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I'm a gym rat too, but it helps keep things balanced. When your body undergoes alot of wear and tear, it helps you come down from the physical "high" as I'll call it. I usually do it at least once a day, at most twice.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Darkwolf, you can't lift stuff with your mind.

Please tell me you don't seriously believe that.

To the Mad Hatter:
Do you feel your meditation isn't as strong by the third time?

DarkWolf123

Smash Apprentice
Dude it is very possible people have done it. The thing is it takes a lot of mental stability, its really only your opinion and i believe that you can do anything if you believe you can. Now, lets not argue about that because it's a personal opinion and it's off topic. Just PM me if you want to talk about it more.

Back on topic: I'm surprised there are this many people that meditate, i didn't expect this many people to meditate. And i guess you could say I'm happy about it to see so many people meditating. :)

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Dude it is very possible people have done it. The thing is it takes a lot of mental stability, its really only your opinion and i believe that you can do anything if you believe you can. Now, lets not argue about that because it's a personal opinion and it's off topic.
Of course it's not opinion, it's a matter of reality and science. It's impossible and there's no arguing or opinion about it. The only place it's been done is in movies.

DarkWolf123

Smash Apprentice
Lets drop it because you believe differently than I do, and i don't blame you for your beliefs because that stuff doesn't seem logical. But that doesn't change my mind and nothing you have to say will change my mind.

Perfect Hero

Smash Apprentice
Nice stuff guys , I tried meditating today. My experience.

Well I was meditating in a well-lit room and it had the color in my eyes since it was a well-lit room, well a while passed and everything seemed to went white for me. Or almost, I just opened my eyes when that happened and I felt out of place.

Wonder of that's supposed to happen. . .

Top Bottom