• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone tried greasing their n64 control stick?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I don't think there's a point in greasing anything that's not continually rubbing against something else and creating friction. I grease the white bowl, the tip of the stick, and both the black axis pieces. Seems to work well for me. I put a a good amount of grease in the white bowl and on the tip of the stick, but just put a thin coat or two on the black axis pieces.

I used white lithium grease and I used a lot.
I know I've said a couple times in this thread that I think white lithium grease is a bit too thick to be ideal, but I do want to make it clear that it's still very effective. I've greased/maintained all my 1st party sticks with it and they've shown little to no wear. Just wanted to clarify that so people don't come in here and think white lithium grease doesn't work or something.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i haven't regreased in 5 months and no wear down at all. That said I should probably regrease soon

madrush21

Smash Journeyman
Got a new green controller today with a fresh stick, I'm going to try some food-grade silicon grease that airline mechanics use and see how well it works.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster

clubbadubba

Smash Master
wow that's pretty cool. I think wii remotes are not allowed at tournies though because they interfere with each other when there are too many in one place. I imagine the same would occur for these.

Turbo buttons wouldn't be allowed I'm pretty sure, but I've been wrong about that kind of thing before

That being said, if they work well and aren't ****ty 3rd party controllers, I'll get one

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Pretty off topic, but no a wireless 3rd party controller won't be well received by ssb64 players. Not because of turbo though, mainly because 3rd party controller quality always sucks. Plus wireless controllers usually have delay.

Only thing that slightly interests me is if the stick itself is decent. And if it is can it be transplanted into a 1st party controller. Probably a no on both accounts though.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
I see no indication that these would be any higher quality than the first party knock-offs cluttering up retro stores these days.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Would graffiti work instead of ceramic/white lithium?
WHAT ARE YOU REFFERING TO BY "graffiti"?!?!?!?

wheel bearing grease is vastly superior to ceramic and white lithium combined x2. IMHO

also in auto parts store, theres Valvoline crimson, cerulean and Penzoil red something; im sure people can find suitable replacements. if you own a grease gun, getting a cartridge of the ones i named is a good idea for grease fittings on cars, i use that stuff on FORKLIFTS and other industrial equipment. it's kind of ****.

ill bring some to next tourney i go to

mixa

Banned via Warnings
NVM graffiti.

Help me out here, I'm confused with the terms.
Is 'wheel bearing' = 'welter'? Can wheel bearing grease be lithium based?
Because I got this "lithium based spray grease for welter", and it's got this as the illustration for the can.

151rby

Smash Cadet
wheel bearing grease is vastly superior to ceramic and white lithium combined x2. IMHO
Just curious, what exactly makes you say that? I'm about to grease my first stick, and I'm trying to decide between ceramic grease and wheel bearing grease. I've ruled out white lithium grease, having read that it's a bit on the thick side and kind of dries up for some people. I'm leaning toward ceramic grease having read a few good reviews of it, but I might be swayed to go with wheel bearing grease instead if you've done a good comparison.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I seriously doubt he's done a comparison test. He's probably just being biased and saying what he uses is the best lol. It may actually be but hes just guessing.

I'm sure both are really good, so don't fret over the decision. I'm still using white lithium grease and it's working well for me.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Oh, this is a competition now? Well, I've recently upgraded my collection to a grand total of... TWO controllers. Yessssssss...

Also my 64 controller color isn't in KP's pic.

pwn

Olikus

Smash Champion
I got atomic orange, purple, green, blue and extreme green mint. I only got grey and yellow of The original color controllers.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
the only 2 im missing that i like are grape and atomic purple, the other ones are not desirable to me

don't like the other colors

SheerMadness

Smash Master
ASCII pad's have the coolest colors. Most people don't even know they exist though.

They were only sold in Japan I think and they have turbo buttons. But they have some really cool colors:

White, 2 different silver ones, clear front and pink/blue backs. A completely clear one. The red and blue ones are like marble style. There's also a really cool looking metallic black one not pictured here.

But yah were totally destroying this thread Grizzmeister style.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
ASCII pad's have the coolest colors. Most people don't even know they exist though.

They were only sold in Japan I think and they have turbo buttons. But they have some really cool colors:

White, 2 different silver ones, clear front and pink/blue backs. A completely clear one. The red and blue ones are like marble style. There's also a really cool looking metallic black one not pictured here.

But yah were totally destroying this thread Grizzmeister style.
sure but are they smash worthy?

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
are you serious right now, this is little kid stuff LOL

anyone can get a screwdriver and swap colors, look at sheer's extreme green black swaps

AHAHAHAHAHA

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Yo my extreme black mixes are too pro.

But yah genetically altered controllers don't really count in a collection battle since they're fake.

Anyway those clear blue/red top and clear bottom Japanese controllers aren't as cool as the ASCII inverted clear top and clear red/blue bottoms.

The ASCII's definitely have the coolest color combos.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
white lithium is cheapest price and quality grease
but...
if you go to a auto parts store u can get a cartridge of better grease

i strongly reccomend a cartridge of WHEEL BEARING GREASE or uh

Valvoline cerulean / crimson
Penzoil 707L

any of those cartridges has 2 really good properties
1.straight up better grease
2. WAY MORE VOLUME than small tubes like that
3. BONUS. only 5$ a cartridge