• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone willing to tell me how to L-Cancel?

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
I have recently been trying to get really good at Melee to play a friend, I can wave dash, double jump cancel, but I seem to hit a snag with L-Canceling? can someone tell me how to do it?

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
perform an aerial attack, low enough to the ground that you will still be in the move's animation when you are landing. right before you land, press either L, R, or Z to cancel half of that move's landing lag. Note that when you press L or R to cancel, the game only cares about the soft press of the shoulder button, meaning you only have to press the shouler a little bit.

it definitely takes a lot of time to master, should tske you a while before you can do it in every match with 90%+ conisistency

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
Practice. Sorry, but if you're looking for a quick way to figure out how, there is none. All you can do go into training mode and practice. The only piece of advice I casn give you is to make sure to do it right before you hit the ground instead of right after you do a move (I had some trouble with this)

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
perform an aerial attack, low enough to the ground that you will still be in the move's animation when you are landing. right before you land, press either L, R, or Z to cancel half of that move's landing lag. Note that when you press L or R to cancel, the game only cares about the soft press of the shoulder button, meaning you only have to press the shouler a little bit.

it definitely takes a lot of time to master, should tske you a while before you can do it in every match with 90%+ conisistency
Thank you very much, are there any characters that have an easier time than others L-Canceling?

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
Nope, they all require the same thing.

Just a warning though, don't make it a muscle memory of just l-canceling without hitting anything. Hitting a shield or character will make the time differ for the l-cancel.

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
Nope, they all require the same thing.

Just a warning though, don't make it a muscle memory of just l-canceling without hitting anything. Hitting a shield or character will make the time differ for the l-cancel.
Okay, I appreciate the advice

Strider

Smash Rookie
I have been a long time Smash player and am just now starting to learn to play competitively. The L-cancel has been kind of tricky but after some practice for a few days I can pull it off almost every time I want to.

I personally practiced doing it in training mode with Link because it's very easy to see when you have performed it right with him and his down-A. It is kind of an annoying thing to learn but it won't take too long, just keep at it.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
The problem with Link's dair is that you bounce off of opponents when you hit them, and you really need to practice L-canceling when you both hit or miss. I'd suggest trying Ganon's dair because it has long endlag (easy to tell when you've done it successfully), and the timing is quite different when you hit someone as opposed to missing, so you can't just use the same timing for both which is a bad habit.

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
The problem with Link's dair is that you bounce off of opponents when you hit them, and you really need to practice L-canceling when you both hit or miss. I'd suggest trying Ganon's dair because it has long endlag (easy to tell when you've done it successfully), and the timing is quite different when you hit someone as opposed to missing, so you can't just use the same timing for both which is a bad habit.
Thanks, I plan on practicing hard when I get the chance.

Mahie

Smash Lord
I think those guys are being too harsh : It's fine to practice without a target at first. Try to nail the timing without hitting anything, and then just play against CPU Ice Climbers or something. The more "bodies" you hit with your attack, the more delayed the Lcancel timing will be.

One important thing though is that you must NOT Lcancel by pushing the trigger all the way down. Don't make it click. You have to use the Analog imput and not digital.

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
I think those guys are being too harsh : It's fine to practice without a target at first. Try to nail the timing without hitting anything, and then just play against CPU Ice Climbers or something. The more "bodies" you hit with your attack, the more delayed the Lcancel timing will be.

One important thing though is that you must NOT Lcancel by pushing the trigger all the way down. Don't make it click. You have to use the Analog imput and not digital.
I think I see what I've been doing wrong...

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
An easy way I found out the basics of L-Canceling was playing with Fox in training mode. You jump in the air, do a dair on your opponent, L-Cancel, and then shine right after. You'll notice in the combo differs. If you L-Cancel right, the combo should continue instead of resetting back to 1. However, this is only to get the basic understanding of how it works. Practice practice practice after that!

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
I think I see what I've been doing wrong...
You probably don't. If you only use the analog portion of the trigger, it only prevents the tech timer from resetting. Using the digital part does not affect the success or failure of the L Cancel. It's just a good habit to use only the analog portion in case you get hit by something.

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
You probably don't. If you only use the analog portion of the trigger, it only prevents the tech timer from resetting. Using the digital part does not affect the success or failure of the L Cancel. It's just a good habit to use only the analog portion in case you get hit by something.
nah I mean I've been pushing l too hard.

noobird

Smash Journeyman
that's what he meant by "you probably don't." l-canceling has nothing to do with how hard you press the button. the only reason people suggest not pressing it all the way down is because it doesn't count as a tech input that way

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
that's what he meant by "you probably don't." l-canceling has nothing to do with how hard you press the button. the only reason people suggest not pressing it all the way down is because it doesn't count as a tech input that way
I see

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
It is also important to know that you actually hit the L-cancel. No point in practicing it and not knowing you are missing. I would use the character I played to practice L-cancelling so that I could feel the difference. That involved missing an L-cancel and immediately mashing the A button to jab afterwards. You will jab as soon as you can after the missed L-cancel. After you get a feel for how long the jab takes after a missed L-cancel, do the aerial and try to L-cancel. After the attempted L-cancel, mash the A button immediately to try to jab. You should be able to tell that the jab takes less time to come out after the successful L-cancel.

It worked for me anyways. Just passing on a thing I did. Hope it is useful.

Superspright

Smash Lord
My suggestion is to use Z for l-canceling. You can hit it as much as you want before you hit the ground during an aerial and you won't use your tech option by accident. It's cleaner to use Z, but most prefer L or R for cancelling lag--I strongly suggest you use Z so you can save your hard presses for techs, and powershields.

Top Bottom