• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Anything Can Change! - The Chrom Social Thread (Now with a Proper Victory Theme!)

What should we call Chrom's infamous zero-to-death Soaring Slash suicide string?

• Total voters

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Ideally, yes, every fighter gets a unique victory theme, but I doubt it.

Also, yes, and today I am oddly angry about that. Like, more than usual.
Some injustices are never rectified; Lucina's lesson than unique animations, Pikmin's criminal underrepresentation, the lack of Pikmin representation, and so on. But on the topic of Lucina (also involves Chrom, and...Robin...I guess...) it's not the first time the Ylisseans have dealt with reanimated, red eyed, hostile versions of their dead friends. I wonder if there will be any references to the Risen in Spirits, and what role the Ylisseans will have.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Some injustices are never rectified; Lucina's lesson than unique animations, Pikmin's criminal underrepresentation, the lack of Pikmin representation, and so on. But on the topic of Lucina (also involves Chrom, and...Robin...I guess...) it's not the first time the Ylisseans have dealt with reanimated, red eyed, hostile versions of their dead friends. I wonder if there will be any references to the Risen in Spirits, and what role the Ylisseans will have.
Here's an idea.

Frederick Spirit Battle
Shield Type
Vs Richter, Chrom

Richter, possessed by Frederick's spirit (since Richter's color scheme is the closest to Frederick's, and "Pick a God and Pray" fits the Belmonts well), defends an AI-controlled Chrom, and will impulsively throw himself in front of Chrom and shield oncoming blows. Defeat Chrom first, and "Frederick" becomes incredibly powerful. Ignore Chrom and attack "Frederick" using grabs to dispatch him, though watch out for Chrom's attacks.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'd be kind of surprised if any of them got cutscene time.

As for spirit battles, they could easily turn all of Lucina's colors into battles for their inspirations. Like I saw someone say a battle against pink Lucina that's always tripping for Sumia.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Welp, looking at some gameplay, it definitely looks like Aether has Super armor (at least on the upward slash and the jump from the looks of it) and his Up smash actually hits 5 times instead of 3 (damage values uncharged without 1v1 multiplier seem to be 1.1, 2.1, 2.1, 2.1, 10.5 for a total of about 18 or so damage)

Edit: I'm kinda curious if Aether would work as a decent combo ender since it has super armor, landing the full move does about 22 damage (without multiplier), and the spike seems pretty strong so ending with that near a ledge could lead to ending a stock pretty early. Then again, it depends on how reliable the move itself is such as figuring out if the initial hit will always combo into the second part of the move and exactly how strong the spike is when doing it from fairly high above the stage and not on some schmuck hanging on the ledge.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I'm still on the fence with Chrom's recovery. However, I'm definitely looking forward to trying him out. Roy and Chrom both look very fun.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nope. Chrom has the default FE theme.
Are you sure? I've only heard Chrom's victory theme from the Gamescom match, but tons of themes have been changed. Any videos of Chrom having his victory theme play in the new demo?

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Are you sure? I've only heard Chrom's victory theme from the Gamescom match, but tons of themes have been changed. Any videos of Chrom having his victory theme play in the new demo?
I've only seen like one match featuring Chrom today (it was against Cloud and he lost in sudden death).

There was another one (a FFA game where Chrom beat roy in Sudden Death) but the victory screen was cut off in the video because they can't show them at where it was taken for... reasons.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Pretty sure the Awakening trio share the victory theme. Id Purpose is Robin's theme in the game, it'd be rather dumb to not make it Robin's victory theme and if Lucina has it, Chrom is sure to have it also.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
What's with people saying Chrom is the worst character in the game? How?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
but still, I don't see how he's even that bad aside from that up-b of his.
The up special is the entire reason. Granted I think people are exaggerating about him being the worst character over all, though.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
No way Chrom is the worst character in the game. With how praised Roy is right now and Chrom being his echo, he is nowhere near the worst by default. It's just that his recovery is worse. However, that doesn't automatically make him the worst character (Brawl Olimar had one of the worst recoveries in the game and yet look at him, sitting comfortably in Top 3).

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
The up special is the entire reason. Granted I think people are exaggerating about him being the worst character over all, though.
I mean, if anything, that makes him play more like a glass cannon. incredible mobility and power, really subpar recovery. And besides, just having a really bad recovery doesn't make a bad character.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean, if anything, that makes him play more like a glass cannon. incredible mobility and power, really subpar recovery. And besides, just having a really bad recovery doesn't make a bad character.
Yeah, like Cloud. Though it seems people think Chrom will be more Little Mac and less Cloud.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Yeah, like Cloud. Though it seems people think Chrom will be more Little Mac and less Cloud.
Yeah, completely forgetting that Little Mac's disadvantage state is "not being on the ground" due to his comical air game. I think the only reason they compare him to Mac and not Cloud is probably because of Cloud's rep in Smash 4 and because of Limit Up B gaining a lot of distance. or something

Arthur97

Smash Master
Though, speaking of Chrom's up special, about how high does Ike's go? Because Chrom's goes to about the second platform on Hyrule Castle.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I don't think he's the worst by a long shot, but that recovery is so awful it makes you wonder if the consistent damage and spacing is worth the risk of getting gimped so easily.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
My though on the Chrom Recovery issue.

Yes I really went to meme this. I'm not sorry.

godogod

Smash Ace
He's gonna be the Little Mac of sword fighters. Not a Chrom fan, bt here's hoping they buff his recovery at launch or down the road.

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Honestly Chrom's low predictions in the tier lists don't really bother me that much. Unless you're the kind of person that ranks a character's worth solely on their usefulness in winning tournies Chrom still looks like he'll be a fun fighter to play.

I think the Little Mac comparisons are apt except for one crucial detail. Little Mac wasn't rated so low in the tier lists just because his recovery sucked, tons of characters have sucky recoveries but still end up doing decent. Little Mac's problem was that his hyper specialized fighting style railroaded him into only one type of play. Feet stuck on the ground while spacing and playing defensive only. He had literally only one viable strategy and the second an opposing player knew how to handle it he was in for a very uphill fight.

What makes Chrom interesting to me is that he feels like a more reasonably mellowed out Little Mac. He will have major, almost crippling weaknesses in off-stage play and getting gimped but on stage he is also very versatile. His balanced out Falchion, combined with his fast foot speed and the improved frame-data that Roy possesses means he can reasonably switch between being a spacer and rushdown fighter on the fly depending on the situation and he has a good enough air-game to back that up. Chrom's success will entirely depend on how good they'll be able to keep their opponents guessing as to what their going to do while they're both on stage and their skill in switching from offense and defense rapidly.

That's not to say that I believe he'll ever be high-tier, let alone top-tier (assuming they don't buff him). He has very big weaknesses to be sure, but that doesn't mean he can't bring a lot of rewards for those who are truly skilled in neutral and mixing tactics up on the fly. And honestly I kinda prefer it that way, it's fun to play such a mixed bag sometimes than just defaulting to whoever happens to be top-tier at the moment.

If his recovery seriously bothers people though than honestly here's how I would buff it.

1. Make him very floaty and drop like a feather, but make his horizontal air movement and acceleration go Sanic speed

2. Make his Dancing Blade give him a moderate push sideways when used in air

3. Modify his Aether so that it can be angled in a more diagonal direction, giving him both plenty of vertical and horizontal movement during recovery.

He's gonna be the Little Mac of sword fighters. Not a Chrom fan, bt here's hoping they buff his recovery at launch or down the road.
The thoughts are much appreciated. Honestly it feels like everyone wants Chrom to fail, either because they hate Fire Emblem or cause "Roy's their Boy" and don't want anyone stealing his current spotlight. It makes me happy to see even non-fans show a bit of support.:)

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Honestly Chrom's low predictions in the tier lists don't really bother me that much. Unless you're the kind of person that ranks a character's worth solely on their usefulness in winning tournies Chrom still looks like he'll be a fun fighter to play.

I think the Little Mac comparisons are apt except for one crucial detail. Little Mac wasn't rated so low in the tier lists just because his recovery sucked, tons of characters have sucky recoveries but still end up doing decent. Little Mac's problem was that his hyper specialized fighting style railroaded him into only one type of play. Feet stuck on the ground while spacing and playing defensive only. He had literally only one viable strategy and the second an opposing player knew how to handle it he was in for a very uphill fight.

What makes Chrom interesting to me is that he feels like a more reasonably mellowed out Little Mac. He will have major, almost crippling weaknesses in off-stage play and getting gimped but on stage he is also very versatile. His balanced out Falchion, combined with his fast foot speed and the improved frame-data that Roy possesses means he can reasonably switch between being a spacer and rushdown fighter on the fly depending on the situation and he has a good enough air-game to back that up. Chrom's success will entirely depend on how good they'll be able to keep their opponents guessing as to what their going to do while they're both on stage and their skill in switching from offense and defense rapidly.

That's not to say that I believe he'll ever be high-tier, let alone top-tier (assuming they don't buff him). He has very big weaknesses to be sure, but that doesn't mean he can't bring a lot of rewards for those who are truly skilled in neutral and mixing tactics up on the fly. And honestly I kinda prefer it that way, it's fun to play such a mixed bag sometimes than just defaulting to whoever happens to be top-tier at the moment.

If his recovery seriously bothers people though than honestly here's how I would buff it.

1. Make him very floaty and drop like a feather, but make his horizontal air movement and acceleration go Sanic speed

3. Modify his Aether so that it can be angled in a more diagonal direction, giving him both plenty of vertical and horizontal movement during recovery.

The thoughts are much appreciated. Honestly it feels like everyone wants Chrom to fail, either because they hate Fire Emblem or cause "Roy's their Boy" and don't want anyone stealing his current spotlight. It makes me happy to see even non-fans show a bit of support.:)
I mean, if anything, he reminds me more of Cloud (without factoring in limit related bull****) rather than Little Mac in that they are extremely dangerous on stage (and slightly off stage close to the edge due to a couple powerful spikes) but tend to have major problems off stage due to awful recovery.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I mean, if anything, he reminds me more of Cloud (without factoring in limit related bull****) rather than Little Mac in that they are extremely dangerous on stage (and slightly off stage close to the edge due to a couple powerful spikes) but tend to have major problems off stage due to awful recovery.
I never played any of the Smash 4 DLC characters, so I'll take your word on that, sounds an awful lot like Chrom.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Also, another way Chrom is more akin to Cloud than Mac is that Chrom's aerials aren't...well, Mac's.

godogod

Smash Ace
Roy will always be my boy, but as an echo, I do feel for him and wouldn't mind trying him out.

Who wants Chrom to fail? I can only think of FE haters, but I'd think they wouldn't care.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Roy will always be my boy, but as an echo, I do feel for him and wouldn't mind trying him out.

Who wants Chrom to fail? I can only think of FE haters, but I'd think they wouldn't care.
Probably people thinking that merely having a horrid recovery means bottom tier because it brings to mind Little Mac (who, as probably mentioned, has more problems than just a god awful recovery putting him just barely outside low tier) instead of just about any other character with a bad recovery (again, most notably Cloud without Limit).

Arthur97

Smash Master
Incinaroar isn't looking good on the recovery front either, are people shouting worst at it?

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Incinaroar isn't looking good on the recovery front either, are people shouting worst at it?
I think a bad recovery + terrible mobility and not that good range are factors that make Incineroar not look so hot....

....yes, I'll take my leave....

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman

Roy will always be our boy and I am so happy he finally got the buffs he deserves. I always did enjoy playing him more than Marth in Melee.

Maybe it's just a Reddit thing. A lot of folks there seem to almost relish the thought of Chrom getting screwed.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Roy will always be our boy and I am so happy he finally got the buffs he deserves. I always did enjoy playing him more than Marth in Melee.

Maybe it's just a Reddit thing. A lot of folks there seem to almost relish the thought of Chrom getting screwed.
I mean, he already got screwed in that Smash 4 trailer and it basically became a meme up until some time when Warriors was announced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom