• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012 | CHECK OP FOR EVENT BRACKETS/POOLS | EVO 2012 QUALIFIER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
if it's like some people claim, and it's 20 "additional" setups, then it's good. i still say we just bring as many TV's as possible and then deal with it there.

i'm more interested in figuring out pool numbers. idk how big the final bracket will be (64?), but it's pretty clear that once you get over 256, cutting out half the people twice won't get you to 64. so i really do wonder how this'll be handled.

edit: that would also rely on the concept that the hotels have playable tv's. once we bring our tv to apex, and it gets used for that purpose, we don't really have access to it until we leave, i presume. unless we wanna give up the raffle thing.

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
I've been meaning to speak to Strife about that.

@ EE: No offense to smashers but we're dumb lol. We'll never learn how to manage our time efficiently. Ever.

I can see it now: "Bout to take my 5th shot! Oh ****, Apex registration ends tonight?? ****!!....I'm still taking that shot though yeaaahhh!!!!"
What you said but I actually registered after that 5th shot lol

Atlus8

Smash Master
Mexico Update!

Since time is cutting it really close to Tuga, he might not end up going to Apex! So, Javi is gonna need a doubles partner just in case that happens! Anyone know who is still available?!

Edit - Yes, I have left a post on the 'Need a doubles' thread too!

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
That kinda silly to me. We shouldn't have to be playing in our hotel rooms. This is a smash tournament.. Why not all just be playing in one area like always..

:phone:
Hey hey hey Mr. Carroll I was just trying to help and offer a suggest if the venue runs out of space. Don't come at me calling my suggestion silly haha :embarrass:

steep

Smash Lord
Melee is just getting screwed over. Nbd.
We most likely wont be playing melee on Saturday because apparently all but 20 setups are going to brawl+other stuff
Lol as if the situation isn't the same for brawl for those of us who want to be there Friday. Acting like the TO's all hate melee or something. If you aren't hyped out of your mind for this then you shouldn't come at all because you're just dragging down the hype. Either deal with it or host your own tourney the way you want to. But stop complaining.

Not just aimed at Carroll here, just quoted him cus that's the last post I read before quoting and responding.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
For the most part we wont be taking away setups like that.

Pretty much we got a bunch of TVs and those tvs will go to setups. If it belongs to you only we will ASK if we could borrow the TV but thats a worst case scenario.

With the whole VG/Apex mess ( not knocking them but just stating facts that there was an obvious miscommunication) we had to get more TVs for our event. We are trying to get more equipment so we can make 100% sure there are a lot of set ups for Casual play for brawl and melee each day. I am going to be buying 10-15 more tvs on top of my 10 I already own. Add in Alu's 10 , TNL 5-6, Chibos 8-10, and most of the staff we can get about 50-60 tvs on our own. We NEED more setups in terms of systems overall.

That is NOT including all the TVs from people in the setup thread. Bottom line you will be getting at LEAST 12 setups for each game each day. We will most likely have a lot more. I understand that Melee wants to do more, at the same time so does brawl, so that is why we are doing the Bowser Challenge, giveaways, having an artist alley, and a lot more than just tournament stuff. I find it hard to believe that everyone goes to a national just to play three days straight.

The intention was to do everything in one day for each game so that people can enjoy themselves a lot more. Instead of having to play hard for three days straight, each game has to do it for 1 ( minus top 8 singles top 4 doubles ). I did not read the BS cause I know that people are just trying to get more bang for their buck. For that I 100% understand. You want a return on investment.

As far as pools we do 4-5 people in Round 1...top 2 make it out. After that we do 32 pools of 4 with top 2 make it out. This is done for a few reasons. My idea was that our pools take way too long and , imo , are inefficient. We have to do a better job of seeding and making our pools run a lot better. I moved it to 4-5 because with that there is a better experience overall. For the casual side, they will get to be more intimate with the players rather than be a person just playing. 4-5 people is way more close knit IMO than 6-7 people. Ya you do play more people but I think this will help to meet some of your favorite players. The other thing is that 4-5 pools run INSANELY faster than 6-7. With one tv 4-5 pools takes about 2.4 - 8.4 ( this is with one tv usually we do 6-7 with 2-3 tvs. This can lead to a lot of time for us to make the event EVEN better ( we can do giveaways without rushing, our Apex LIVE is going to make people feel amazing ). It is all about efficiency.

We need your help to make it amazing. All the help is necessary. Whether you like me or diem or crismas or not...we all understand that in order to make this event better and grow as a community we have to change those comforts that we hold dear. It is kinda like looking at it in a glass full compared to glass empty deal.

Anyways just hit me up directly. I will be happy to answer questions.

Roller

Smash Legend
Just a suggestion, change the final registration date. A lot of people sign up the last couple of hours for majors. Since the last couple of hours is new years eve a lot of people are probably going to forget.
This is actually a really good point. If it were just to be extended by 24 hours, it would probably prevent a lot of the inevitable, "OMG I MISSED THE DEADLINE, IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN ENTER NOW????" posts.

But at the same time I can understand sticking to a deadline you guys set well in advance.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
^ We want to turn them off at some point because imo we should be watching finals. Obviously I think we should not have those but we are not gonna say put htem in your car when you can leave htem there.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
aye I'm just going on Friday to Chill and Drink with the Melee Players/early brawl players who showed up on friday.

I really don't see the big deal about this whole "not being able to play" thing going on. you about to be at the biggest smash gathering of all time and you could be hanging out with your friends and **** but instead you worried about how many friendlies you can get in?

I can't get with that.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Thank you alex. All I wanted to know is that there will be more then 20 setups for melee on Sunday.

Because there are people like me that want to play everyone and anyone. Gain experience and meet and play all the players coming.

Tell us to go do something else instead is redic IMO. And like I said I million times. I only play melee, so throwing away money to enter another game is stupid. And like I've also said a million times. You cant smash for that Long with out taking a break. (exspecially us fox mains;) ) so I will check out the other stuff in my free time I just don't want to not be able to play melee on Saturday if I'm spending all this money to.

And @ tkbro
As if sitting down playing some matches with some dudes having a good time and meeting new people thru friendlies isn't hanging out with people.

But from what I'm reading setups shouldn't be a problem. So we're all good. Looking forward to playing and meeting you all. Even you brawl guys. I play a pretty decent ZSS for the littte i play. I'll be down to play/MM :)

:phone:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
if it's like some people claim, and it's 20 "additional" setups, then it's good. i still say we just bring as many TV's as possible and then deal with it there.

i'm more interested in figuring out pool numbers. idk how big the final bracket will be (64?), but it's pretty clear that once you get over 256, cutting out half the people twice won't get you to 64. so i really do wonder how this'll be handled.
im interested in seeing how this plays out too. if brawl hits over 320, Which is the goal, then youre going to start needing 6 man pools first round or 5 man pools second round or something like that.

But then again, I just need to get better than everyone else. If I can get top 48 at pound with however many people they had, I sure as hell better be able to get top 64 at this with a few more people. Step it up enough, and it wont even be an issue

Also watching large traditional fighter tournaments really gives you a sense of perspective since pools for them is like 8 seperate 128 man double elim tournaments where only 2 people get out of each pool. That shiz is ruthless. So if you worried about not getting out of pools when the bracket is 64 people, then you just need to step your shiz up.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
true, but everything that happens day 1 is for the same purpose; whittling down to top 16. whether you use 2 rounds of pools and some bracket rounds to do it or just 8 humongous brackets, making it to top 16 kind of is what it is.

i've always kind of looked at the 8 pools of 128 as really just one REALLY FREAKING HUGE bracket. they just separate how it's played for convenience. you lose 2 sets through that whole tournament you're done for lol. it's not even really a pool at that point. it's just your section of the bracket.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Well just imagine EVO. Pools of 64 people with like 60 pools for example. All pools are 64 man brackets, how hard is that? =P
This year, EVO changed their pool format to pools of 16 players. Both had AE and MvC3 had 90+ pools each for their first round with 1 player coming from winner's and 1 coming from loser's.

Pi

Smash Hero
aye I'm just going on Friday to Chill and Drink with the Melee Players/early brawl players who showed up on friday.

I really don't see the big deal about this whole "not being able to play" thing going on. you about to be at the biggest smash gathering of all time and you could be hanging out with your friends and **** but instead you worried about how many friendlies you can get in?

I can't get with that.
cool story bro

Divinokage

Smash Legend
This year, EVO changed their pool format to pools of 16 players. Both had AE and MvC3 had 90+ pools each for their first round with 1 player coming from winner's and 1 coming from loser's.
Ya I was thinking of EVO 2010 I think.. but even then 16 players, Top 2 make it out of a pool is freaking ruthless lol.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Ya I was thinking of EVO 2010 I think.. but even then 16 players, Top 2 make it out of a pool is freaking ruthless lol.
Yeah. Combine that with the fact that each event at EVO is double elimination throughout makes it much more difficult. 1500 man tourney and you can only lose twice throughout? Getting past first round pools at EVO is looked at as an achievement.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I like how Strong Bad has the Brawl Backroom Member on his title when he is a Melee backroom member just to be funny. lol

Hax

Smash Champion
havent picked up a gamecube controller since rom. i hope i dont get ***** at this

tekkie

Smash Master
^ We want to turn them off at some point because imo we should be watching finals.
woah woah woah don't do this. at genesis2 once it got into the higher bracket i started MMing everyone in sight and i'd rather actually get to sit down and finally play with people since there'll be lots of setups and no tournament stuff to worry about.

i'd rather get to play brawl with people when possible instead of staring slack-jawed at MK dittoes in GFs that i couldn't fathom caring less about

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
woah woah woah don't do this. at genesis2 once it got into the higher bracket i started MMing everyone in sight and i'd rather actually get to sit down and finally play with people since there'll be lots of setups and no tournament stuff to worry about.

i'd rather get to play brawl with people when possible instead of staring slack-jawed at MK dittoes in GFs that i couldn't fathom caring less about
The last Apex didn't even have MK dittos anywhere near the finals though.

And I highly doubt there will be MK dittos at this grand finals either. Too many top players with many other characters here.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i kinda agree with keit and strife but if I see any kind of MK dittos, im most definitely bowing out to play some matches on my own.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
but like, Apex 2009 and 2010, was that even the case?

2010, you had freaking Ally vs Brood, Brood vs M2K, DEHF vs Brood and hell even the Ally vs M2K where loser got 4th/5th (forgot), I only remember about 3 or 4 people out of hundreds playing friendlies instead.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Just have the set-ups available. If the final matches are hype, hardly anyone will be playing anyways, or if they are they will stop when they hear all the yelling and cheering. If they aren't hype, you save yourself from pissing everyone off lol.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Just saw these

Friday

Time Event
8:00pm Super Smash Bros Melee Singles Pools, Round 2
9:30pm Super Smash Bros Melee Singles Bracket (until top 8)
This is saying that Round 2 of Melee Pools AND bracket seeding will be done in an hour and a half.
I'm not sure if that's realistically possible.

Saturday

Time Event
3:00pm Super Smash Bros Brawl Singles Pools, Round 1
5:00pm USA vs The World Brawl 8v8 Exhibition
6:30pm Super Smash Bros Brawl Singles Pools Round 2
7:30pm Super Smash Bros Brawl Singles Bracket (until top 8)
Any Round 1 pools that don't finish in the first 2 hours are going to end up missing the crew battle.
And 3 hours to run Round 1 pools and seed will be very difficult.
And again. One hour to do Round 2 of pools, seed, and start the bracket.
I don't see this happening unless every single pool was done with 2 tv's at the same time.
With the amount of things going on (as well as a dozen friendly setups for melee), I'm having a difficult time following this.

Honestly, I know that we're at the "Should've brought this up a long time ago" phase, but that's an extremely tight schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom