• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012 | CHECK OP FOR EVENT BRACKETS/POOLS | EVO 2012 QUALIFIER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
im waiting for my debit card to arrive in the post, when that happens the first thnig i will do is sign up for apex officially
hype. also M@V: most of us are, but the 5% that are good ruin lives...cant be much different from america actually XD

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
ill probably register in september sometime, after dragoncon

Probably start that teammate search soon too :laugh:

M@v

Subarashii!
im waiting for my debit card to arrive in the post, when that happens the first thnig i will do is sign up for apex officially
hype. also M@V: most of us are, but the 5% that are good ruin lives...cant be much different from america actually XD
I was moreso aiming that towards king beef than Europe; KB's one of my bros in the community.

I'm looking forward to playing all you Europe guys. Being able to play Japan last APEX was awesome!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
ah i see. thought it was a dig at europe Xd
thus far, im the only confirmed english brawler going. ramin/mr.R and a few other europeans are going.
i need to play some good meta really, england lacks them. aqnd my characters die horribly to meta (ike, rob) XD

Life

Smash Hero
Hey Strife.

Remember when you first announced the stagelist and a couple of us got up-in-arms over it?

This is why.

I'm not here to pick a fight, but the rulesets of big tournaments like this one affects smaller tournaments. Affects people who won't be at Apex. Like me. Your actions have far-reaching consequences.

I'm obviously not going to change your mind for this event... but at future Apex-scale events, at least look before you leap, k? If you're going to experiment with the ruleset, do it at smaller tournaments. Not Apex. Or if you insist on making the entire world Smash scene your guinea pig, do something actually radical. Try banning MK, or legalizing a few "janky" stages (Japes is a good candidate), or adding another stage ban, instead of something that's seen decidedly uninteresting results at other tournaments (referring particularly to banning PS2, but Brawl in Berlin 2 banned RC/Brinstar and still had four MKs placing 9th or higher--granted, that happened after you wrote the rules, but still). If you're worried about something like that risking your attendance, get a poll asking "Would doing X make you not attend Apex" or something to that effect. (Actually, I'd recommend somebody do that now. Poll: Apex ruleset or Unity ruleset?
Also, "ban MK?"
)

tl;dr Nothing personal, but small tournaments follow the rulesets of big events, and as someone now affected by your ruleset (and heavily influenced by the Stage boards whose point of view you basically ignored), I think I have the right to complain about it.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I'll just say this.

I am running this ruleset because it is the ruleset the apex staff and myself decided this would be best. This is not an Experimental thing it is something I feel, as a whole, is better for an international tournament. It is not about putting a popularity poll together ( in the end that is what it will be ) but measuring who is coming and going from there. I have went over the consequences countless times and we felt people would have a better experience with the ruleset we have. It is not just stages that were removed but we changed the suicide rule and a few other things back to what they were PRE-Unity.

I understand you think the Stage boards were ignored but they were not. People should have the right to use any stagelist they want.

Also please refer to Pound 3 when Mute City was removed and how it is now a standard.

BTW for the record I am removing Brin/RC across both Melee and Brawl not just Brawl

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I'm not going to argue about the rule set itself. However, I'll just say this... no one is forcing anyone to use this rule set outside of Apex, if people so choose to use it it's up to them and their own decision. Alex and the rest of the team discussed and came to a conclusion on the rule set after some time.

I understand that smaller tournaments use rule sets based off of bigger nationals, but it seems that tournament also used their own rules as MK is banned in doubles (which is something we will not or ever choose to do from my knowledge). Sorry you don't like it, but you said it yourself, you're not coming to Apex... I'm sure not everyone is planning on using this rule set.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Hey Strife.

Remember when you first announced the stagelist and a couple of us got up-in-arms over it?

This is why.

I'm not here to pick a fight, but the rulesets of big tournaments like this one affects smaller tournaments. Affects people who won't be at Apex. Like me. Your actions have far-reaching consequences.

I'm obviously not going to change your mind for this event... but at future Apex-scale events, at least look before you leap, k? If you're going to experiment with the ruleset, do it at smaller tournaments. Not Apex. Or if you insist on making the entire world Smash scene your guinea pig, do something actually radical. Try banning MK, or legalizing a few "janky" stages (Japes is a good candidate), or adding another stage ban, instead of something that's seen decidedly uninteresting results at other tournaments (referring particularly to banning PS2, but Brawl in Berlin 2 banned RC/Brinstar and still had four MKs placing 9th or higher--granted, that happened after you wrote the rules, but still). If you're worried about something like that risking your attendance, get a poll asking "Would doing X make you not attend Apex" or something to that effect. (Actually, I'd recommend somebody do that now. Poll: Apex ruleset or Unity ruleset?
Also, "ban MK?"
)

tl;dr Nothing personal, but small tournaments follow the rulesets of big events, and as someone now affected by your ruleset (and heavily influenced by the Stage boards whose point of view you basically ignored), I think I have the right to complain about it.
You're being an idiot.

Stop being an idiot.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
I'm not going to argue about the rule set itself. However, I'll just say this... no one is forcing anyone to use this rule set outside of Apex, if people so choose to use it it's up to them and their own decision. Alex and the rest of the team discussed and came to a conclusion on the rule set after some time.

I understand that smaller tournaments use rule sets based off of bigger nationals, but it seems that tournament also used their own rules as MK is banned in doubles (which is something we will not or ever choose to do from my knowledge). Sorry you don't like it, but you said it yourself, you're not coming to Apex... I'm sure not everyone is planning on using this rule set.
Because APEX is da besss, *** da haters

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I think all three rulesets are the best in history! :D

But I'm pretty conservative with stagelists, rules, etc. /opinion

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Anyone who's gone to Apex from California before, I would like to ask this: would $2,000 be enough to cover all expenses? First time planning for travel outside of California.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Anyone who's gone to Apex from California before, I would like to ask this: would $2,000 be enough to cover all expenses? First time planning for travel outside of California.
that will be way overkill lol

the flight will cost 400-500 roundtrip

unless youre staying by yourself, hotel chipping in with others may be like...100 for the weekend tops? if you staying at a really nice place/very few people in the room

food is probably 100 for 3-4 days tops too. you'd pay for the tourney beforehand so that doesnt count either

put it to you this way, I probably spent around 600 total for genesis 2 coming from florida (RT plane, BART tickets, food for those days, my portion of the hotel room), that excluding tourney entry fee since that was paid before hand, but it does include the 450 RT ticket

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I'm not going to argue about the rule set itself. However, I'll just say this... no one is forcing anyone to use this rule set outside of Apex, if people so choose to use it it's up to them and their own decision.
This statement is a gigantic cop-out

not taking sides on the issue that incom brought but I do feel the need to say that

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
that will be way overkill lol

the flight will cost 400-500 roundtrip

unless youre staying by yourself, hotel chipping in with others may be like...100 for the weekend tops? if you staying at a really nice place/very few people in the room

food is probably 100 for 3-4 days tops too. you'd pay for the tourney beforehand so that doesnt count either

put it to you this way, I probably spent around 600 total for genesis 2 coming from florida (RT plane, BART tickets, food for those days, my portion of the hotel room), that excluding tourney entry fee since that was paid before hand, but it does include the 450 RT ticket
I know but I like to be prepared.

Thanks for the info! This gives me a good idea of how much this will estimate to be.

snake23

Smash Cadet
I know that right now i can only register for brawl singles for apex 2012 only by using a credit card, but unfortunately i do not have one at all currently at the moment, is there someway i could pay with cash usd to register for apex 2012?

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
I know that right now i can only register for brawl singles for apex 2012 only by using a credit card, but unfortunately i do not have one at all currently at the moment, is there someway i could pay with cash usd to register for apex 2012?
aren't you going to the Montreal tournament on the 20? If Alex strife or any staff is okay with me paying for your stuff and you pay me back at the canadian tournament it would be aight. Let me know Alex Strife or anyone else and let me know WHAT you are paying

snake23

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the offer ally but unfortunately i am in no position to fully pay you back so this would not work for me at all, money is really tight for me right now since i am still currently unemployed at the moment. That is why i must find a job soon so that i can attend apex 2012 i am too broke to pay you right now.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Thanks for the offer ally but unfortunately i am in no position to fully pay you back so this would not work for me at all, money is really tight for me right now since i am still currently unemployed at the moment. That is why i must find a job soon so that i can attend apex 2012 i am too broke to pay you right now.
=( good luck on the job hunt!

If Alex strife or any staff is okay with me paying for your stuff and you pay me back at the canadian tournament it would be aight.
for the record I'm pretty sure Alex & the rest of the Apex staff would be alright with it, no matter who you're registering for :p

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
well let me know whenever, I can definatly help you register. I just don't like being owed money >.>

Heartstring

Smash Legend
come on now guys. we dont need to argue over the ruleset, its just fine as it is.

also, i dont own a credit card, but can i do the same thing with a debit card? its the same sort of thing, i jsut dont go into minus numbers on a debit XD

snake23

Smash Cadet
Well Green Psycho you use your debit card like a credit card with me, that is not the case i only pay for most things with cash money.

I absolutely hate paying interest on anything to me credit cards are so absolutely pointless.

At the end of the end you are going to have to a pay the full amount anyways why not just do not that just get it over with, deal with it right there right away with a credit card like visa american express or mastercard you are being charged interest everytime you use it.

Besides why pay the interest on a credit card, when you can pay the full amount instantaneously when you have the actual full amount of cash to pay for it paying with cash is still the better option.

It definitely saves you alot more money and you know how money exactly you are really spending, with a credit card that is not the case you will not even know that unless you check your bills everytime.

Ally what other characters have you used in brawl tournaments other than marth, wario, snake and meta knight as your mains?

I will register when i find myself a job that pays me enough money to cover all my expenses which includes, a two way trip greyhound from Toronto to New Jersey than when i return from New Jersey back to Toronto, the total cost of food for those 2 entire days, hotel fees for the two days for when i stay at the New Brunswick Hyatt Regency New Jersey hotel including tips and the one time $30 venue fee with the $15 brawl singles fee for the brawl singles tournament for apex 2012.

I wrote down what everything costs in total i have not left out anything so this way i can setup a budget for myself, now i know that i will only spend a specific amount of money for everything for when i go to apex 2012 in january 6th to 8th 2012, so that i never go over my own spending budget.

The only two things i need right now to get done is to get my passport ready, money for when i get a job so that i can register for apex 2012 and have enough money to cover all my expenses just specifically for apex 2012.

Trent

Smash Champion
I've decided if I win a contest I entered a week or so ago, I will end up coming to this.

For those not familiar with the contest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fOGqxUgqnk

In order for me to win, I need to have the most YouTube views by Monday. I am currently losing by 250~ views, and only have 2 days to play pick up. I was hoping if you guys could help me out by just watching the minute long video, as well as spreading it to any forum, blog, friends, etc. that you could. I would appreciate any help I could possibly get.

Winner gets an iPad 2, which I plan on selling, then I can use the money to come to APEX.

Yubi

Smash Cadet
Is a passport needed to travel from Puerto Rico to NJ??? I didn't needed it when I attended Genesis 2 and Pound 4 :/

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
no you do not you are fine passport wise. Remember NJ and PR are part of the US though PR is just not a state xD

Patches

Smash Master
Whaaaaaat?!

You don't need a passport to get there from Peurto Rico? Yet I need one from Canada?

... I smell racism. Country racism. ):<

:phone:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
So you don't need a passport if you're traveling within the country? This'll be my first time going on an airplane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom