• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012 | CHECK OP FOR EVENT BRACKETS/POOLS | EVO 2012 QUALIFIER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah kage make sure you stay for the duration of the tournament after you get 3rd seed!

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
...One little question
Will Allbrawl be a single elim tournament (I really would prefer otherwise lol.)

If it is single elim or double elim, is it top 2 advancing or something else

LLDL

Smash Hero
Haha it's going to be crazy in pools.

And koro AFAIK it's single elimination.

steep

Smash Lord
I'll be in the Hyatt thursday night hopefully. I'm wanting to play people as much as I can every night. Hit me up!

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I've already explained why top 2 out of pools is horrible in any format, completely ruins the purpose of pools. They aren't going to change it though so you will just have to deal with it :/.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah last year we had 218 for Melee, and we're definitely going to surpass that by quite a bit.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Single elim first person to win 2 games moves on as well as the person with the most games won/kills in the last game

If I recall correctly
The rules need to be updated for it to say first to win 2 matches moves ahead then next person to win 2 matches moves ahead. It discourages teaming up. And yup its single elimination.

LLDL

Smash Hero
We've got the seeding points all tallied up from all the qualifiers, and pools will be set up and posted asap AFTER the registration deadline.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
At 6 pm ill be running a Melee side event on Saturday in the free play area. Cost $5 bucks in person to enter. I posted it a while back but I'm on my phone so its too hard to search for :(

Linguini

Smash Master
I don't really understand the format of this tournament....why not follow the structure of all the most successful majors in the past.

You seem to be making these decisions without thinking them through. The is no reason that melee should be only friday and only brawl on saturday. Waiting a whole day to finish the rest of the bracket is unnecessary and throws off the rhythm of the tournament.

Also you shouldn't do bracket right away on friday for melee. Might as well just wait to start it on sunday. Everyone is going to be exhausted on friday after all the pools anyways.

crush

Smash Master
is it alright that i put down the wrong teammate? insanecarzyguy put it down as him teaming with me but i put down a different player, but im teaming with ICG.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Melee people looking for stuff to do on Saturday should consider playing in the ssb64 side event for fun. There's still a bunch of open spots and you'll get a chance to play Isai.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
im personally hyped for smaller pools

less room for error, but better able to focus during the entire pool. Plus, 6 man pools take FOREVER jeez. *****s bored by the time its 70% done

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I don't really understand the format of this tournament....why not follow the structure of all the most successful majors in the past.

You seem to be making these decisions without thinking them through. The is no reason that melee should be only friday and only brawl on saturday. Waiting a whole day to finish the rest of the bracket is unnecessary and throws off the rhythm of the tournament.

Also you shouldn't do bracket right away on friday for melee. Might as well just wait to start it on sunday. Everyone is going to be exhausted on friday after all the pools anyways.
4-5 man pools first pool and 4 man pools second round.
If youre going to be exausted after maximum seven matches of melee... Than i just dont know what to tell you dude.

is it alright that i put down the wrong teammate? insanecarzyguy put it down as him teaming with me but i put down a different player, but im teaming with ICG.
email the staff and let them know what the situation is and theyll fix it for you. the email should be on the apexsmash.com site somewhere.
im personally hyped for smaller pools

less room for error, but better able to focus during the entire pool. Plus, 6 man pools take FOREVER jeez. *****s bored by the time its 70% done
lots of this.

DynamicDuo

Smash Lord
Just thought I'd update the following people who reserved their shirts: Patches, Hylian and DRDN, your shirts are done :) take a looky.

PATCHES:

FRONT

BACK

HYLIAN:

FRONT

BACK

DRDN:

FRONT

BACK

We are just 2 weeks away from apex, if you guys still wanna reserve stuff from me lemme know right away as my list is filling up quite rapidly.

dmbrandon

Smash Master

On the contrary: Every decision was made with careful thought and planning. Melee's wait until Sunday was designed to allow melee adequate time on the stream, dedicated to Smash, ensuring more viewers. This is also to ensure that the championships have the most viewership as well.

Also, the most Successful majors to this point were CoT4, Genesis1/2, and Apex/2010. (Pound 4 was bad, and pound 5 was a smashfest.) These are all failures if you pit them against major tournaments from other communities. We're working to remedy this, and give smash time in the limelight with other AAA competitive titles.

And there is PLENTY of reason to separate the two days. Many players, unlike yourself, are versed in top level play of both games. Those players will have ample time to practice up and be warm for their respective matches. We'll be providing the players with no less than 12 set ups for each Melee and Brawl for Free Play throughout Friday and Saturday, to ensure both sets of players are happy.

Furthermore, thanks to AZ pointing out a serious flaw that has been under our noses all of these years, we've shortened the amount of time pools takes. 4 people in a pool means there are 6 games per pool, with half making it out. 6 player pools means that 15 sets per pool are to be played, with half making it out. the numbers are there.

As for the "rhythm" of the tournament, many tournaments do this, including Evolution, the biggest fighting game event of the year, so you've nothing to base that on.

Two rounds of pools is 6 sets, into bracket to top 8. This should be less than what you're used to.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Furthermore, thanks to AZ pointing out a serious flaw that has been under our noses all of these years, we've shortened the amount of time pools takes. 4 people in a pool means there are 6 games per pool, with half making it out. 6 player pools means that 15 sets per pool are to be played, with half making it out. the numbers are there.
What is the point in having pools then? Pools are for seeding purposes, nothing gets seeded if only two people make it out. You should just go straight into a bracket because that would be MUCH MUCH faster than running pointless pools.

Pools aren't done to make tournaments run faster, that's backwards logic.

Everything else I agree with.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
What is the point in having pools then? Pools are for seeding purposes, nothing gets seeded if only two people make it out. You should just go straight into a bracket because that would be MUCH MUCH faster than running pointless pools.

Pools aren't done to make tournaments run faster, that's backwards logic.

Everything else I agree with.
Top 2 get seeded into another pool of four, which top two make out and get seeded into a bracket. It's still a lot less pressure than straight double elim, as it gives you the potential to lose four times before you're eliminated.

As for me, I would rather do straight bracket. I personally think pools are a hand holding mechanism, unless it's only top player makes it out. But, hey, it's what the community expects. Also, most past majors have done 7-8 person pools with top 3 making out. you have better odds here.

If you're worried about losing, you should be practicing instead of posting. :3

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
We'll be providing the players with no less than 12 set ups for each Melee and Brawl for Free Play throughout Friday and Saturday, to ensure both sets of players are happy
So of I bring a cube and melee, it STAYS in the melee area right? No offense but I don't wanna bring a setup just so when Saturday rolls around its used for brawl. Same with every one elses. Because 300+ melee players on 12 Tvs is the funniest thing I can think of.

:phone:

dmbrandon

Smash Master
So of I bring a cube and melee, it STAYS in the melee area right? No offense but I don't wanna bring a setup just so when Saturday rolls around its used for brawl. Same with every one elses. Because 300+ melee players on 12 Tvs is the funniest thing I can think of.

:phone:
As opposed to 300 melee players not using any TVs without the risk of DQ? And if you bring a set up, it will be used as needed throughout the tourney, unless a director says sepcifically otherwise. Though, if you bring it, and don't allow it to be used AS it's needed, you will then forfeit any reward bringing the system itself would bring.

Also, there isn't a "melee area." Melee and Brawl will be played on the same TVs throughout the weekend, only switched. The 12 brawl (Up to 20) and 12 melee (again, up to 20) setups for free play will remain vastly untouched.

And as SR said: You probably can't use a cube for Brawl. :( THOUGH WE COULD CONFISCATE IT AND USE IT FOR GNT4 OMFGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom