• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012 Results & Shoutouts

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
1: SuPeRbOoMfAn - Mad cool meeting you, our friendlies were awesome (so much CHEESE in those Falcon dittos). Good job winning the tournament!
2: Isai - The man. It was cool talking to you and we should definitely have played more friendlies, you're a beast. =D It's not every day I get a chance to play at zero frame with you.
3: JaimeHR - You're such a funny guy, it was a blast finally meeting you after all those years on the Euro 64 chat. Good games in our set, even though I think you would have had it easier if you used your Samus or your Pikachu.
4: Kefit - God damn bro. American Pikachus are vicious. Will definitely need to practice that matchup before I come back to the USA again. GG's in our set, and great job beating Sensei and almost beating Jaime.
5: Nintendude1189 - It was great meeting you and you're an extremely nice person. Good job with your placing. Your Mario is very nice but god damn, your Pikachu is sick as ****. You should come to Europe again. ^^
5: Sensei - Had fun teaming with you, let's do this again some time. Fun friendlies, although we should have played Melee too. ;D
7: m3gav01t - MEGAVOLT KICK. It was cool meeting you, and thanks for bringing all the 64 players to IE's place, it was cool to get to play everyone again after Apex.
7: King Funk - Sup.
9: Firo - Very impressive Ness. Our set in doubles was SO intense. I wish we had actually played some friendlies but oh well, next time I hope. =D
9: Jel - Cool meeting you and let's play some more another day.
9: KnitePhox - Great meeting you, man. It sucks we had to play both in winners and losers but good job nonetheless! Just keep practicing and you'll become good in no time. Thanks a LOT for recording everything, I can't begin to describe how awesome it is we got all that footage. ;)
9: Ownasaurus - Nice Pikachu, I was impressed by your doubles skills with Firo, you were covering him really well. Keep working on dat Kaillera! =D
13: Clubbadubba - Fun friendlies and GG's in doubles.
13: valoem - Dang I sure camped pretty hard vs you. You have a nice Pikachu and it gave me a difficult time. GGs, let's play more next time.
13: Rocky - Good job ma d00 Rocky, our up and coming EU star! <3
17: KoRoBeNiKi - Was nice meeting you and doing Brawl doubles. We should have played some 64 too, but that'll be for next time. ^^
17: Espy - Was watching your matches a lot because you're one of my favorite SSBB players. Rest more with Puff, I saw you miss a lot of opportunities to use that move. Good job anyway, hope you keep playing that game. =D
17: gio - Dang your Kirby was nice. Fun talking to you and cool friendlies.
17: hamburglar - Thanks for making my very first console 64 tournament an extremely enjoyable experience, and I really look forward to future events of the kind.
17: Chain-Ace - Awesome to meet you. Thanks a lot for recording everything and in such a professional way, we need more people like you in this community. Let's play some Melee next time too. ;)
25: infamous diablo - Cool friendlies, keep improving. =D
25: JohnsterMonzter - You too.
25: Jimmy Joe - GGs in doubles.
25: Tony - GGs.
33: KeroKeroppi - Was fun to see you. Like most people I expected you to be younger but you surprised me in a good way. ^^
49: Smoke2Jointz - Where were you? =(

This tournament was a blast, I had a ton of fun and I hope to see all of you guys again! ;D

valoem

Smash Journeyman
Hey sorry for this extremely delayed shout out I think I talked to most people after the tourney in irl but there were a couple of people i missed.

First to the people Ive talked to extensively, rocky, superboomfan, king funk, jimmy joe, hamburgler, nintendude, knitephox, Jaime, and Walter talk abunch with u guys a had a great time! Shame on anyone who didn't get chicken and rice which is wayyy better than fat sandwiches lol:). Also camping is a good strategy the lead was taken and it fair. I'm still against a hyrule ban :). Kefit u were hilarious everytime u made a slight mistake u hated on yourself it was so funny lol.

People I didn't get to play Firo and jel! It guys looked too good we need to get some games in!!! Anyways I was thinking about host a new type if tourney I'll post about it soon!!!

:phone:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Guess I'll make shoutouts since all the cool kids are doin it. Had a blast that weekend and I liked everyone I met. I really hope I can do it again soon!

1: SuPeRbOoMfAn- Man we played a lot of games, more than was good for my ego probably. It was still fun though, next time I’ll get a win vs you, and I won’t even make you chase me.
2: Isai- It was nice meeting you. Nice philosophical moment you had lol. We gotta play more friendlies next time! Ggs in bracket.
3: JaimeHR- You are a funny d00d. Commentary was golden. Thanks for teaching me a lot of stuff, definitely god master smash teacher.
4: Kefit- Nice finish in the tourney, but play more characters bro! And next time come for more than 2 days
5: Nintendude1189- Thanks for helping organize the 64 tournament, you did a great job. I think I only played you for like 2 games , next time we should play more.
5: Sensei- Nice little philosophy of smash discussion in megavoltz car by Rutgers dorms. Again we only played like 3 games! 64 > melee quit that **** so you can play more 64. Ggs in teams.
7: m3gav01t- Thanks soooo much for letting us max out the number of people staying in your apartment. It was clutch. Thought we were going pretty even in games until you kicked my butt in the dorms. Ggs man, MEGAVOLT KICK
7: King Funk- too bad you had to go watch BRAWL matches and cut our friendlies short. Pretty cool coming all the way from Europe for this. O and thanks for inviting the 64 crew over to the Rutgers dorms that night.
9: Firo- Gah almost falcon ditto’d my way to game 3! Ggs in bracket. O and ggs in teams too. You are fun to play with, that fox is too in your face to handle. And I can’t say this enough, thanks for the server, its pro.
9: Jel- Wut I told Kefit, come for more than 2 days! Fun friendlies when we did play. Thanks for recording some games.
9: KnitePhox- Gameshark/recording master right here. Still waiting for that open mic sesh we had! Seriously though Dood, next time get off that laptop and play with us, we only get together for console so often.
9: Ownasaurus- Fun team games in bracket, but damn man we didn’t play a single 1v1, sup with that? It was nice meeting you. Thanks for that client.
13: Clubbadubba- Dude you were by far the coolest best person I met all weekend. Keep on keepin on.
13: valoem- You remind me of this guy I know from high school and college because you seem like a party fiend. Totally woulda drank with you in other circumstances. Fun games man.
13: Rocky- Most inspired Kirby ever! NO utilts. Awesome stuff man, especially for a melee player. Hope you play more 64!
17: KoRoBeNiKi- ggs in bracket. Pretty good for no controller experience. You should just switch to controller so you can play console tourneys full strength
17: Hard B0dy- We had some fun friendlies. Next time you should stay the night before, you missed a whole day of smash!
17: gio- lol battlecow
17: hamburglar- some of the funnest friendlies I had all weekend. Too bad you were all busy running a tournament the whole time or we coulda had more.
17: Chain-Ace-Thanks for helpin organize the tourney. Was hoping to play you 2nd round, but instead I had to avenge you
25: infamous Diablo- Not a troll! You got a lot better over the weekend. Go practice with jimmyjoe, get better, and be the next generation of smashers
25: Jimmy Joe- Best guy ever. Houses like 5 people in 2 different locations, misses a real life meeting to make sure everyone had somewhere to stay on Monday. Definitely one of the top 5 most important people in making this tournament worth it. Sorry we didn’t get to play bball but you know, with all the smash going on lol. You always got a place to stay with me. Ggs in teams too, we were just getting in the groove!
25: Tony- play more 64, its tough at first but the better you get the more fun the game is.
33: KeroKeroppi- Also not a troll! You and Diablo were both cool guys. Stop using ALTS on kaillera! I like to know who I’m playing against.
33: AIR- ggs man, you guys improved a lot. You should play online
33: Xaltis-ggs in brackets. Don’t cargo hold me bro.
49: Smoke2Jointz- ?
49: Black Cats31-fun games. Nice Mario

N/A: Random Brawl N00b- Way to be 4th best man. That was serious Europe pwnage. Switch to 64! And learn to play more characters.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
7: King Funk- too bad you had to go watch BRAWL matches and cut our friendlies short. Pretty cool coming all the way from Europe for this. O and thanks for inviting the 64 crew over to the Rutgers dorms that night.
I'm sorry bro I had to root for some fellow European players. =D

13: Rocky- Most inspired Kirby ever! NO utilts. Awesome stuff man, especially for a melee player. Hope you play more 64!
Kirby? o.o

N/A: Random Brawl N00b- Way to be 4th best man. That was serious Europe pwnage. Switch to 64! And learn to play more characters.
Who are you referring to? :o

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Haha I used to be a falcon main but after the tournament I decided that I want to master all the characters instead. I got this LOL

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Haha I used to be a falcon main but after the tournament I decided that I want to master all the characters instead. I got this LOL
It's a pretty common thing in 64, considering how easy the characters are to play.

You basically have to ram a bunch of boxes into your opponent's face.

I think I said this before...

The Star King

Smash Hero
Couldn't you say that about any Smash game

Yeah 64 has like one and a half hard characters (mostly Yoshi, pwn)

M!nt

Smash Champion
I think Yoshi is harder to get to a decent level, but fox is harder to master.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
yoshi is really difficult to get used to

fox is by comparison easier to get used to, but needs more raw techskill...well, faster fingers anyway lol

now im wondering whether prediction or reaction is more important in 64...

The Star King

Smash Hero
Eh, Fox. Maybe if we're talking MASTERING. I know I won't be breaking shields with shines any time soon.

There's so many people who have Yoshi as their worst or least favorite character. Fox is never anywhere near this. He's one of the two most popular characters on Kaillera for a reason.

And reaction isn't really an individual skill. Most people have a somewhat similar reaction time under the same circumstances, while "prediction" is essential in high level play. Pretty sure we've been over this.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Prediction on its own doesn't really exist, it's only there to improve your reaction time, but there are no instances of pure prediction, whereas pure reaction does exist.

Reaction is always more important, but you'll need to predict to go beyond what your brain allows you to.

And Fox isn't technical, but you can make him to be. Highly unnecessary though.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Prediction on its own doesn't really exist, it's only there to improve your reaction time, but there are no instances of pure prediction, whereas pure reaction does exist.

Reaction is always more important, but you'll need to predict to go beyond what your brain allows you to.
WUT? How does pure prediction not exist? You can grab with Samus because you predict they will shield. You can aim higher with a Falcon reverse uair edgeguard because you predict they will jump.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Says the guy with the perfect pivots. :p
Yeah but I like doing very stupid flashy stuff. :p It's not that practical most of the time, although pivots are.

WUT? How does pure prediction not exist? You can grab with Samus because you predict they will shield. You can aim higher with a Falcon reverse uair edgeguard because you predict they will jump.
Don't you wait for it to happen before actually acting?
Otherwise yeah I agree, sure, assuming your hitbox stays out long enough you can attack before your opponent moves into it, but that's assuming your opponent is dumb enough to do that. If he's any smart, it won't work more than a couple times, and as such, I don't understand why you emphasize Prediction over Reaction.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I think Yoshi is harder to get to a decent level, but fox is harder to master.
I agree with this.

I'm also not just referring to the super TAS level stuff like shine shield break. I think low lasers and perfect shine cancels are harder than yoshi stuff.

it's also easy to ledge cancel with yoshi ;)

LLDL

Smash Hero
Fox is the best character in the game. Forget what teh tier listss saays

Battlecow

Play to Win
Dat Honduras metagame

Also wtf ballin parrying is hard as balls

even I can do some fox shine stuff and I have less techskill than anyone

The Star King

Smash Hero
Don't you wait for it to happen before actually acting?
It depends. If I throw out an attack so that someone jumps into it I'm obviously not waiting.

Otherwise yeah I agree, sure, assuming your hitbox stays out long enough you can attack before your opponent moves into it, but that's assuming your opponent is dumb enough to do that. If he's any smart, it won't work more than a couple times, and as such, I don't understand why you emphasize Prediction over Reaction.
It's called mixing it up. And the majority of the community is not good at adjusting to how you punish their habits TBH.

And I'm not saying that reacting isn't important obviously, just that the possible difference between humans isn't (assuming nobody is drunk or old or something). I don't think it varies that significantly among people.

P.S. Nobody even parry double jump lands yet I mean come on. I'm probably going to learn to later though (never bothered on keyboard because at that point I knew I would switch to controller eventually).

Mahie

Smash Lord
I call that gambling. You're only assuming your opponent will jump into your attacks, which should NOT work undefinitely.

Also , that's not true. You can improve your reaction time, and you can improve it by a lot, I've done it myself and I can feel the difference.

I wouldn't advise anyone to play to win by assuming their opponent will lose their second jump to the same uair 5 times in a row. I'm overexagerating, because of course, I get your point, and I do that too sometimes, but I definitely don't ( and can't) abuse it on people of my level.

However, waiting for the jump, with your fingers ready to trigger as soon as you hear the sound/see the animation, is a much better alternative, imho.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
However, waiting for the jump, with your fingers ready to trigger as soon as you hear the sound/see the animation, is a much better alternative, imho.
Smash 64 is a pretty slow-paced game so it's indeed rather easy to react to stuff like jumps. It's just sooooo much more satisfying to hit people preemptively as reads and I know Mahie and me love to do it when we **** around or play vs lesser players. xD

In Melee if I want to catch a jump, it's mostly a blind guess unless the opponent is in a bad position/really far.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Parrying with Yoshi is easier than comboing with Fox or Yoshi. Just like shining with Fox is easier than comboing with Fox or Yoshi.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Mahie, I think you are REALLY underestimating reading. I don't know how to convince you of this. My ability to read people is one of the biggest reasons why I'm (arguably) the best player on the EC (on kb).

I'm really surprised about your opinions because I heard you were a top European player.

I call bull on the improving your reaction time significantly.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Don't be so hard on him. We've all had that moment when we thought we were the best on the east coast. Once he gets his *** out to a big tourney or records some vids with high level players he'll understand

The Star King

Smash Hero
>Doesn't go to Apex/any tournament

>No vids on YT

>Best player on EC

Sure, bro

:troll:
Hey man I wouldn't say that about myself alone

I'll let others speak for me

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=301606

sup

and it's not my fault nobody records me but everyone wants to record the other top players

plus I'm getting 3rd at the next Apex

pretty sure clubba is trolling me

and Battlecow is making me look arrogant by forcing me to defend the praise of my own skill, o well

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Was trolling you, but after looking at that link I realised Sensei is EC, and I think he's better than you. Though to be fair, I haven't played full power Star King in a while.

lol simaltaneous sensei shoutout (before battlecow edited his post, I saw that ****). And why are we all editing out posts right now?

The Star King

Smash Hero
C'mon Battlecow that's weak, I know you can do better than that. How is that even relevant

I guess I'll have to scrape Sensei next Apex

inb4 I hype myself up an don't go. I'm determined this time tho

Mahie

Smash Lord
I don't know, I'm just not convinced, but you can go ahead and give me examples of pure reads if you want to.

Also, yeah, I was able to improve my reaction time. I can pretty much react to any time I powershield kinda instantly, when I used to not take advantage of it at all. That and letting attacks graze me much more, having my techchase improved by a lot , etc.

I'm the one being surprised you think it's not possible.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Mahie vs Star King

Mahie only gets to react to what SK does, and SK only gets to hit Mahie if he successfully predicts Mahie's reaction to his initial action. GO

Mahie

Smash Lord
See you already showed the limits, for star king to play like that means he'll always need to be at least one move ahead of me. I doubt that to be possible unless he's better than me, but at evenish levels, it's gonna be hard.

Not saying you're better , worse, or even, it's just for rhetorical purposes.

TANK64

Smash Lord
plus I'm getting 3rd at the next Apex
LMFAOjajaaja been practicing that controller?
I'm getting 3rd at the Next Apex. Come at me bros.

Also, how come Sensei and Nintendude didn't do a tie breaker?!?!!!!!

Also, Sensei scares me more than Jaime when he's on.

Also, Yoshi is def harder than fox.

P.S. Nobody even parry double jump lands yet I mean come on
SOME PEOPLE DO
Making me log in a ****. Damn I need new vids of my Yoshi >_<

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Mad trash talking in here yo

I'll be the best in europe before the summer *****z

Top Bottom