• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 - Pools up in OP! - Only at the door for FGC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I just wrote a novel for you guys, and smashboards failed me. @_@. I am writing a statement. Please be calm until then.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Important

First off, I would like to say that this is my second time writing this. My first response was a lot more detailed, but Smashboards denied my post (most likely due to the servers) and because of that, my original post was deleted. This is a shortened version, but it should fit what needs to be said. I will also be using example from a brawl standpoint, as that is the game I am covering for the event.

Hey guys! I see that there is some dispute against whats going on with Apex. Allow me to be the person who can/try/will answer all of your questions. While it may take some time to respond to everyone (The apex staff is very busy as a whole right now) we will try to answer the questions we can, and solve the issues that come up as well. First, let me explain why we are doing bracket pools.

1) It will run the event faster

Apex is a multiple gaming community that runs over 10 major events over the course of 3 days, with a little over a 40 man staff. I need you to keep in mind that the first and most important thing to us is making sure that everyone will have a wonderful experience for an event that is done in a timely manner.

When we are doing RR pools (round robin), we are pressed against the clock. I am a person who has done both RR pools and bracket pools (From both the Tournament organizer standpoint, and the players standpoint) and I can assure you that you guys will not miss out on the experience to play people, or that the results will be different. Let's break it down just a tad more:

We have 32 setups for brawl. The average RR pool (From 10 people) takes about 2 hours hours to finished, and that's IF we use 2-3 setups per pool. Now, in compensation for the time, the players in the pool have to play against each other until everyone finished their matches. While I am not against this, as it allows more games to be played, the first 4 seeds of the pool are normally determined around the first hour, and the rest is fluff so people have more time to play despite it not having an impact. I understand that a lot of you are traveling from across the U.S, or even over seas, but I need you guys to keep in mind that we are here to run an event as efficient as possible, and not necessarily cater to everyone playing everyone. We simply won't have the time for it if we did RR pools. However, this brings us to the second point.

2) It allows more time for friendlies

In the trade off that we cut time from doing bracket pools, we get extra time to allow players to play friendlies during the free play hours of the event. Now you can ask the very same people that you wanted to play in pools to play against you!

With these points brought to the table, I will now explain the Bracket Pools.

Bracket pools is a form of RR that allows us to determine the top 4 seeds, while still giving accurate results. I noticed that Alex Strife, as well as other APEX staff, made a statement about the Bracket Pools not being played out, and that is true to an extent. Currently, we are playing it to Winners Finals, then loser Semi-finals, to determine 2 "Seed 1 players" and 2 "Seed 2 players". I am telling you now that this is not confirmed, and we might actually play it until we have a clear cut "Top 4 seeds". This won't be confirmed until the day of apex, but what I can tell you, and what you actually need to know, is that the top 4 players will get out of pools, not matter which one we pick.

I noticed that some of you are saying that some of the pools are extremely difficult, or extremely easy in comparison. I will tell you right now that every pool was seeded carefully, and accurately in terms of who got the top 4 seeds per pool. To explain why, you have to look at the APEX POINTS!
That's right guys and gals, The Apex Point system had a heavy influence on the seeds. In fact, some people accumulated so many points, that it pushed them from being a 3rd seed to a first seed (Crazy, right?). Some of the pools look a bit easier then others, but its not really the case. Apex points put people in higher seeds then they normally would, and to be honest they deserve the spot if they took the time out and accumulated the points. However, Apex Points is not the only factor. We took into consideration these main 4 factors: Apex Points, Player Skill, Activity, and Inactivity. As you can see now, Apex points had a huge impact. Player skill is always determined, and while activity and inactivity did not play an important roll as much as the others, they were still accounted for (Example: Dojo, who would be normally a very high seed, was pushed down a bit due to his inactivity)
I would like to note to you guys that this is a massive tournament, where people traveled all around the world to attend. I take complaining serious, as everyone's voice is an opinion to look into, but complaining about "I am playing ADHD round 1, and I will get knocked out to early, therefore I won't get to play as much" is not a viable excuse to not do pools. Why are you attending APEX? Is it to enjoy the competition, or to win? Is it to meet people that you thought you would never get a chance to? In the end, a competition is a competition. At this point, you should be able to take out anyone that comes in your way, because if you come to this event thinking that you are going to win and don't have that mindset, then you have some questions that you need to answer on your own before I can answer them for you.
I understand that their are some issues with the pools. I have already made a statement about possible changes. The Tournament Organizers are human, and are subject to mistakes. If you think you have an issue, please post the pool number that you are in, your tag, and/or the tag of the player that is an issue. If you are seeded twice in different pools, or not listed at all despite you being registered, please leave your tag as well.

Please note that players in the same pool from the same region may not play each other in the actual event. The bracket pools are not being played out completely, but only until the top 4 seeds have been determined. If you are a seed 0 (Players who did not receive a seed, or a person who is not in a top 4 seed in their pool) You were generated into a group with the rest of the people, and then put into pools from there. In most cases, this disregarded region, crews, and etc of the same manner. If you have this issue, and you are a seed 0, you may submit a request for a movement, but may NOT possibly be moved (Depends on how early you play the person, and how often you play within the same region) More immediate requests for movement will be granted first (if you happen to play your teams partner, for instance) then from there, it will be at the discretion of the TO for the event.

joshcorris

Smash Cadet
It means someone that does not exist. Getting a bye means a free round. The top/high seeds get a bye first round for example. They need byes in order to make it so each pool is easier to make.
Okay, thanks for elucidating, KoRoBe and BluLink. I'm not opposed to the notion of a "bye". Or of the seeding process. It would be a pretty lame tournament if Ally faced Otori in the first round, or something like that. And I agree with whomever suggested (I think it was Esam) that us mediocre/bad players can utilize our time after losing to play friendlies/meet people/watch matches/etc., although I'd prefer not to be referred to as "Scrubs". Maybe the "Skillfully Inclined" instead.

So Fatal

Smash Master
Important

First off, I would like to say that this is my second time writing this. My first response was a lot more detailed, but Smashboards denied my post (most likely due to the servers) and because of that, my original post was deleted. This is a shortened version, but it should fit what needs to be said. I will also be using example from a brawl standpoint, as that is the game I am covering for the event.

Hey guys! I see that there is some dispute against whats going on with Apex. Allow me to be the person who can/try/will answer all of your questions. While it may take some time to respond to everyone (The apex staff is very busy as a whole right now) we will try to answer the questions we can, and solve the issues that come up as well. First, let me explain why we are doing bracket pools.

1) It will run the event faster

Apex is a multiple gaming community that runs over 10 major events over the course of 3 days, with a little over a 40 man staff. I need you to keep in mind that the first and most important thing to us is making sure that everyone will have a wonderful experience for an event that is done in a timely manner.

When we are doing RR pools (round robin), we are pressed against the clock. I am a person who has done both RR pools and bracket pools (From both the Tournament organizer standpoint, and the players standpoint) and I can assure you that you guys will not miss out on the experience to play people, or that the results will be different. Let's break it down just a tad more:

We have 32 setups for brawl. The average RR pool (From 10 people) takes about 2 hours hours to finished, and that's IF we use 2-3 setups per pool. Now, in compensation for the time, the players in the pool have to play against each other until everyone finished their matches. While I am not against this, as it allows more games to be played, the first 4 seeds of the pool are normally determined around the first hour, and the rest is fluff so people have more time to play despite it not having an impact. I understand that a lot of you are traveling from across the U.S, or even over seas, but I need you guys to keep in mind that we are here to run an event as efficient as possible, and not necessarily cater to everyone playing everyone. We simply won't have the time for it if we did RR pools. However, this brings us to the second point.

2) It allows more time for friendlies

In the trade off that we cut time from doing bracket pools, we get extra time to allow players to play friendlies during the free play hours of the event. Now you can ask the very same people that you wanted to play in pools to play against you!

With these points brought to the table, I will now explain the Bracket Pools.

Bracket pools is a form of RR that allows us to determine the top 4 seeds, while still giving accurate results. I noticed that Alex Strife, as well as other APEX staff, made a statement about the Bracket Pools not being played out, and that is true to an extent. Currently, we are playing it to Winners Finals, then loser Semi-finals, to determine 2 "Seed 1 players" and 2 "Seed 2 players". I am telling you now that this is not confirmed, and we might actually play it until we have a clear cut "Top 4 seeds". This won't be confirmed until the day of apex, but what I can tell you, and what you actually need to know, is that the top 4 players will get out of pools, not matter which one we pick.

I noticed that some of you are saying that some of the pools are extremely difficult, or extremely easy in comparison. I will tell you right now that every pool was seeded carefully, and accurately in terms of who got the top 4 seeds per pool. To explain why, you have to look at the APEX POINTS!
That's right guys and gals, The Apex Point system had a heavy influence on the seeds. In fact, some people accumulated so many points, that it pushed them from being a 3rd seed to a first seed (Crazy, right?). Some of the pools look a bit easier then others, but its not really the case. Apex points put people in higher seeds then they normally would, and to be honest they deserve the spot if they took the time out and accumulated the points. However, Apex Points is not the only factor. We took into consideration these main 4 factors: Apex Points, Player Skill, Activity, and Inactivity. As you can see now, Apex points had a huge impact. Player skill is always determined, and while activity and inactivity did not play an important roll as much as the others, they were still accounted for (Example: Dojo, who would be normally a very high seed, was pushed down a bit due to his inactivity)
I would like to note to you guys that this is a massive tournament, where people traveled all around the world to attend. I take complaining serious, as everyone's voice is an opinion to look into, but complaining about "I am playing ADHD round 1, and I will get knocked out to early, therefore I won't get to play as much" is not a viable excuse to not do pools. Why are you attending APEX? Is it to enjoy the competition, or to win? Is it to meet people that you thought you would never get a chance to? In the end, a competition is a competition. At this point, you should be able to take out anyone that comes in your way, because if you come to this event thinking that you are going to win and don't have that mindset, then you have some questions that you need to answer on your own before I can answer them for you.
I understand that their are some issues with the pools. I have already made a statement about possible changes. The Tournament Organizers are human, and are subject to mistakes. If you think you have an issue, please post the pool number that you are in, your tag, and/or the tag of the player that is an issue. If you are seeded twice in different pools, or not listed at all despite you being registered, please leave your tag as well.

Please note that players in the same pool from the same region may not play each other in the actual event. The bracket pools are not being played out completely, but only until the top 4 seeds have been determined. If you are a seed 0 (Players who did not receive a seed, or a person who is not in a top 4 seed in their pool) You were generated into a group with the rest of the people, and then put into pools from there. In most cases, this disregarded region, crews, and etc of the same manner. If you have this issue, and you are a seed 0, you may submit a request for a movement, but may NOT possibly be moved (Depends on how early you play the person, and how often you play within the same region) More immediate requests for movement will be granted first (if you happen to play your teams partner, for instance) then from there, it will be at the discretion of the TO for the event.
I was top 20 seed in points and I didn't get a top seed out of 30ish pools?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Please note that players in the same pool from the same region may not play each other in the actual event. The bracket pools are not being played out completely, but only until the top 4 seeds have been determined.
In pool #10 there are two instances of players from the same region potentially having to play each other: Trump and ScaryLB59 from Flordia [who also happen to team together at this event] and Ayuha and Kairo who are both from Japan. The reason I am posting this on their behalf is that the japanese players are not active on SWF - Kairo doesn't even have an account on SWF at all.

:059:

Cyrain

Smash Ace
Anyone here know anything about Fatuik? I was told that he's Diakonos' teammate and I feel that would imply he's pretty good. I don't particularly care either way since I'm reasonably confident I'll just stomp him, but I'm tryina find out if he maaaaybe got seeded incorrectly?

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyone here know anything about Fatuik? I was told that he's Diakonos' teammate and I feel that would imply he's pretty good. I don't particularly care either way since I'm reasonably confident I'll just stomp him, but I'm tryina find out if he maaaaybe got seeded incorrectly?
I wouldn't worry about it, you're presumably going to be so intoxicated you may not be able to physically compete.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
People need to grow a pair and get better. Regional disputes are legit, but people complaining about having hard players early on need to man up and rough it through losers. Welcome to an international tournament

You'll enjoy the event regardless

:phone:

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I figured Ayuha was a Japanese player.

Man Pool 10 is loaded!!! Lol.

Also, thanks Gheb for the mention of me and Trump teaming and both being from FL. Assuming I don't get moved, it'll be fun to play ya!

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm going to enjoy it just fine. They prioritize the enjoyment of stream monsters over the pot fillers spending hundreds to attend after all.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Have the people who were left out of pools completely been added yet?

Like me, Don't Blink!, in melee pools?

LLDL

Smash Hero
Have the people who were left out of pools completely been added yet?

Like me, Don't Blink!, in melee pools?
They haven't been updated publicly yet but you're on the list of players that need to be added.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
People need to grow a pair and get better. Regional disputes are legit, but people complaining about having hard players early on need to man up and rough it through losers. Welcome to an international tournament

You'll enjoy the event regardless

sure hope this wasn't directed at me.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Looking at the pool brackets, I need now it would have been wise to enter under an absurdly long name that would get cut off in the picture. Like Admiral Mister CT Apex vVv Tesh. Would probably scare the **** out of whoever gets "Admiral Mister CT..." first round.

W.C.N

Smash Lord
I'm going to enjoy it just fine. They prioritize the enjoyment of stream monsters over the pot fillers spending hundreds to attend after all.
They did last year...

that reminds me Alex did you get a lamp to put over the stream tables so we can see the projector screen in the venue?? :)

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else interested in $5 MM against the best Link, melee of course ;)

So Far MM

J666 $5 Link Ditto
John Oks: $1 Fox $1 Falcon,
David Cao: CAOTIC $5

Let me know if youre interested ;)

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Look... Bracket pools have been decided 4ever ago. Stfu n deal with it. 2nd. I want to win. Its my only goal. If I lose imma go,practice til I get better. I don't even know if I can make it cause Sum1 stole my Apex funds(I have a curse that prevents me from going to **** n when I do go bad stuff happens). Regardless I dont give a finuck.
If im there im playing like everything is on the line EVERY MATCH.

Btw... U have Seibrik, Mvd, Fyre & Ipresea in 1 bracket n they live 3 hours next to each other.

:sonic:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Wouldn't work Tesh, my tag was GS-DJFliphop and they put me as Fliphop.
Thats because you are a well known player from winning HOBO 12 :smirk:

There is however a guy on one of the pools listed as Admiral Brigadier Y... and for all I know its some badass name taking, *** kicker from Japan or Africa.
They did last year...

that reminds me Alex did you get a lamp to put over the stream tables so we can see the projector screen in the venue?? :)
Last year they streamed one of the least hyped boring pools, skipped out on the crew battle and played many amazing matches off stream.

This time around they are saying "low level players pool enjoyment doesn't matter because they dont have a chance anyway", "we want to get all the good stuff on stream" etc. Now this is great for me, because I've spent 0 money supporting Apex and I'm gonna sit down on my couch, order a pizza and watch for free.

For what the entry is worth, if a low-mid level players wants a chance to fight a top level player from around the world he could just do a few money matches. Don't forget, the opportunity to face a top player even in pools means alot to some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom