• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 Smash 64 January 11-13th, 2013 Singles Bracket is now up

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
The post could have been interpreted in any number of ways. The fact that you choose the most offensive interpretation speaks more to your sophomoricity than mine.
Do not fear, there is nothing frightening about being a member of my thrall. I am a gentle but firm master.

But i forgot how bitter my humor is when im not there in person to deliver it personally in a jesting manner. And for this I apolo
Megavolt is going to decimate you at apex again
gize
If Megavolt merely decimates me whereas I destroy him then I come out with a 90% advantage at the end ;D

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
Valoem asked me to sign him up. When I inquired as to why he didn't sign himself up, he responded, "because i'm weak and stupid"

Battlecow

Play to Win
Perhaps you missed the subtle irony of me intentionally amping up the verbiage to silly levels in an attempt to permanently enthrall and thus mentally enslave this puny individual.
See now I got the (rather unsubtle) irony, but while I don't have a problem with you waxing verbose in an effort to communicate more clearly or to improve your posts aesthetically, the cognitive dissonance that follows from incorrect or awkward usages of elevated discourse is repulsive to me. For example, you're not "permanently enthralling" anyone, you just like the word "enthrall" and decided to throw it in there; "mentally enslave," meanwhile, is in this context redundant as well as incorrect.

I think I've made my ideas clear and backed them up with scintillating arguments throughout the last couple of weeks. But to summarize, either:
My man, I love the word "scintillate." A lot. If I could anthropomorphize scintillate, I would make sweet, sweet love to it with a passion that no woman on this earth will ever evoke from me. I would do butt stuff to scintillate. I would reach my hand under its skirt and furiously fingerbang it during elevator rides. I would blow gently on scintillate's **** while scintillate watched the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice in its entirety and I would love every minute of it. So when you use it (or its adjectival form) in a stylistically reprehensible manner, it hurts me deeply. I'm just saying.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
I'm a big fan of Scintillate-chan as well. I have some pretty hot doujins of her, hit me up and I'll let you check them out. I'm sorry that I've violated her in a manner that you find so vulgar, but I assure you that I enjoyed every last moment of that rapturous, orgiastic experience.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
how can one actively camp and then complain about match length?
Just because I use all the tools available to me in the interests of securing a competitive advantage doesn't mean I think those tools are healthy to the competitive state of the game.

also, if one wants to communicate effectively then using superfluous vocabulary is counterintuitive
I don't flaunt vocabulary when I attempt to communicate and/or debate an issue. Instead I use the most appropriate words for a given situation. If those words happen to be uncommon then so be it.

The trick is that I stopped trying to communicate quite a while ago.

prisonchild

Smash Ace
Just because I use all the tools available to me in the interests of securing a competitive advantage doesn't mean I think those tools are healthy to the competitive state of the game.

I don't flaunt vocabulary when I attempt to communicate and/or debate an issue. Instead I use the most appropriate words for a given situation. If those words happen to be uncommon then so be it.

The trick is that I stopped trying to communicate quite a while ago.

when you're one of the ones exploiting the 'state of the game' don't be surprised when you don't have a lot of say in the rules.

PS the english language has a ton of synonyms, sometimes you have to sacrifice the EXACT intent of the message to make the general message clear.

to the bolded part: then don't call it 'utterly ridiculous' when you don't get your way.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Just take Kefit to dreamland so he can't run too far away.

But obviously pick a char thats good on dreamland.

Battlecow

Play to Win
how can one actively camp and then complain about match length?
Kefit plays to win. Do I need to link you to some Sirlin? Playing your best under ****ty rules sometimes means that ****ty games will be had. Do you sandbag or try to make the rules better? Obviously you try to make the rules better.

also, if one wants to communicate effectively then using superfluous vocabulary is counterintuitive
Yes, it is counterintuitive. I think you meant to say "counterproductive," though, and it is not counterproductive. Sometimes you can communicate more efficiently, clearly, and elegantly with so-called "show-off words," and in some contexts it's appropriate to do so. This idea that everyone who uses a bit of oratory could get their point across every bit as well if they simplified their speech is a myth.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
math language > english language

staying off topic sometimes > staying on topic

Kefit plays to win. Do I need to link you to some Sirlin? Playing your best under ****ty rules sometimes means that ****ty games will be had. Do you sandbag or try to make the rules better? Obviously you try to make the rules better.

Yes, it is counterintuitive. I think you meant to say "counterproductive," though, and it is not counterproductive. Sometimes you can communicate more efficiently, clearly, and elegantly with so-called "show-off words," and in some contexts it's appropriate to do so. This idea that everyone who uses a bit of oratory could get their point across every bit as well if they simplified their speech is a myth.
nice

prisonchild

Smash Ace

if he's 'playing to win' (i hate that term) then he's going to have to sacrifice some things, no? i don't see why the rules should be adjusted to ONE play style.

and no, i meant counterintuitive, but give me one example of kefits statements that could not have been expressed without those exact words he used.

at the end of the day, kefit can talk however he wants to i just think it's a little cheesy that he uses rare words to try to validate his argument.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I mean read Cicero's 1st and 3rd Catilinarian orations and then the 2nd and 4th (in latin I mean)

Obviously you need to change your tone and vocabulary depending on context to communicate effectively but if you can communicate elegantly you should do it regardless of who you're speaking to

@prisonchild "counterintuitive" makes no sense there. Something being counterintuitive doesn't mean it's bad, it just means you wouldn't THINK it would be effective (usually the implication is that it in fact is). I'm not going to give an example of something kefit said that couldn't've been simplified because my entire beef with kefit is that he's just using the words for the sake of using them. I called him out on that myself.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Relax guys nobody's gonna break anything by using a keyboard lol
The point of console ssb64 is to play with your opponent sitting next to you without any frame delay.
orly? i thought it was to get away from those keyboard DI *******s ;)

If you lose, you should climb back out of a hole... there is a clear model for this in pro sports that use series.

loser having advantage means we are testing the skill of whoever just won more than we are the loser, which we should never do in a COMPETITIVE environment. If I win game 1, my opponent gets to counterpick stage and character, I win. In any normal competition it would go, "you went last, now its my turn". But for us, now my opponent gets to counterpick AGAIN?, even though I'm up 2-0, I feel like I'm not getting a fair competition here.

If our goal is only to create hype matches, then what we are doing makes sense, but I prefer fair competition to hype matches.
How is it an advantage? If the loser wins on his counterpick then the previous winner gets to counterpick. If the loser wins to make it 2-1 then you're up 2-1 AND get to counterpick.

- Avoid talking about how much better you are than the people playing
damn i guess i'm ****ed on this one

lol why would you not do that? It makes all the sense in the world. That's just a given. If BOTH players want to play one way, why wouldn't you let them? Example would be me and tank doing our hyrule-banned thing
What if they want to turn items on? (I think being allowed to choose any stage if both agree is ok though.)

i'd have to say no, leave that kind of stuff for the allstar game
lol

Why in the world are there so many best of 5 matches? Do you realize that this ruleset ameliorates NONE of the match length issues that we discussed for pages on end, and in fact exacerbates the issue by adding additional five game tie breaking matches? This is utterly ridiculous. Please explain to me why you feel the need to not only make the fatigue issues faced by players last year worse, but also to deviate so much from traditional and demonstrably effective set length standards used in tournaments for many other fighting games, both Smash series and not.
At all the tournaments I've been at, the thing that takes up the most time is getting people to play when it's their turn. Sometimes you have to wait like 10 minutes for one of the players to show up. I don't think the length of sets once the players actually sit down is as big of an issue.

Jel and banze, I accept your MMs.

Current list of MMs:
Nintendude, $10
firo, $10
ballin4life, $10
boom's puff on DL, $10
Battlecow, DL only $10
Tank, $5
chain-ace, Fox ditto DL, is $5 good?
Jel, $5
banze, $10

Sensei, I will face your Puff for $5 on DL only.

Money to be had: $80
Come get some.
Want to do various character matchups? Fox/Falcon/Yoshi/Ness/etc.

Man you were doing so well then you had to go and do that

tsk tsk tsk

"highly communicative"? "languor," in that sense? Amping up the verbiage to the point where he can't control it in an effort to show off? Kefit confirmed for not-as-smart-as-he-thinks-he-is tier

post that sparked it was fine tho
this guy gets it

Seriously. Bcow, I expected more. Ya kinda just got served.
Perhaps you missed the subtle irony of me intentionally amping up the verbiage to silly levels in an attempt to permanently enthrall and thus mentally enslave this puny individual.
methinks y'all don't get it

My man, I love the word "scintillate." A lot. If I could anthropomorphize scintillate, I would make sweet, sweet love to it with a passion that no woman on this earth will ever evoke from me. I would do butt stuff to scintillate. I would reach my hand under its skirt and furiously fingerbang it during elevator rides. I would blow gently on scintillate's **** while scintillate watched the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice in its entirety and I would love every minute of it. So when you use it (or its adjectival form) in a stylistically reprehensible manner, it hurts me deeply. I'm just saying.
This is the worst thing ever posted on these forums. And yes, I'm including all of aa's posts.

I'm a big fan of Scintillate-chan as well. I have some pretty hot doujins of her, hit me up and I'll let you check them out. I'm sorry that I've violated her in a manner that you find so vulgar, but I assure you that I enjoyed every last moment of that rapturous, orgiastic experience.
lol nice that's nice

Battlecow

Play to Win
you disagree with me... and yourself? :urg:
If you said "I hate steak! Steak is so delectable!"

I would say "yes, steak is delectable, but I think you meant "detestable."

The original sentence would be true, but it wouldn't make any sense. That's what happened here.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
methinks y'all don't get it
mayhaps ye dinnae comprehend the full extent of me brobdingnagian sarcasm

but dinnae forfeit yer mansoul o'er such a transient foible, I assure ye a night with Scintillate-chan will cure all that ails ya

ps weedwack find me at Apex and we can get in all the steamy rival action you want <3<3<3

Battlecow

Play to Win
scottishisms + "brobdingnagian"

do we have a racist swift scholar here

or was that an accident

Given the fact that you're still adding "-chan" to things, I'm gonna go with accident

you still knew what i meant though?
Yeah, it was apparent from context. That doesn't mean that we should all go around using words incorrectly though.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
scottishisms + "brobdingnagian"

do we have a racist swift scholar here

or was that an accident

Given the fact that you're still adding "-chan" to things, I'm gonna go with accident
I'm quite clearly making a vocal statement about my stance on race relations and terrorism. LEARN TO READ BETWEEN THE LINES.

"Brobdingnagian" is a fun word though. People should use it more when in flippant and/or assholish moods.

So Battlecow I hear that we're gonna have a 30 hour Hyrule match at Apex. I can't wait. Oh man my panties are getting wet just thinking about it.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
How is it an advantage? If the loser wins on his counterpick then the previous winner gets to counterpick. If the loser wins to make it 2-1 then you're up 2-1 AND get to counterpick.
but i should get my pick at 2-0 if we were being completely fair. If a set is a sweep, then all but 1 of the games is played on the losers stage (1 being the neutral start). That doesn't make sense. Yea the winner still wins, but the only reason to it the current way is to create hype matches by keeping them close. Straight alternation is more fair and consistent imo.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'm quite clearly making a vocal statement about my stance on race relations and terrorism. LEARN TO READ BETWEEN THE LINES.

"Brobdingnagian" is a fun word though. People should use it more when in flippant and/or assholish moods.

So Battlecow I hear that we're gonna have a 30 hour Hyrule match at Apex. I can't wait. Oh man my panties are getting wet just thinking about it.
Dude I was planning on mutually agreeing to a no-hyrule ruleset

but if you wanna sit on opposite sides of hyrule until the TOs threaten to disqualify us both and then desperately try to get the 3% f-air in so that the other guy has to approach for the rest of the match that's cool by me too.

it happens all the time bud, an incorrect word in the right context communicates better than an correct, albeit obscure word.

let's rid the world of getting a message across and talk like kefit
what happened to "no i meant counterintuitive" lol

and no, you can ****ing google an obscure word and it takes .7 seconds but I have to work to figure out what you mean if you misuse a word. Also, stylistically speaking obscure words can be really pleasant and fun and appropriate but seeing words used incorrectly is always jarring and lame and not-cool.

Like I said, I'm not saying talk like kefit (who goes "Oh I need a fancy word for 'big'--Brobdingnagian!") I'm saying talk in such a way that your audience understands you but also in such a way that you're communicating exactly and elegantly, using everything that the beautiful, beautiful English language has to offer.

prisonchild

Smash Ace

but if you wanna sit on opposite sides of hyrule until the TOs threaten to disqualify us both and then desperately try to get the 3% f-air in so that the other guy has to approach for the rest of the match that's cool by me too.

what happened to "no i meant counterintuitive" lol

and no, you can ****ing google an obscure word and it takes .7 seconds but I have to work to figure out what you mean if you misuse a word. Also, stylistically speaking obscure words can be really pleasant and fun and appropriate but seeing words used incorrectly is always jarring and lame and not-cool.

Like I said, I'm not saying talk like kefit (who goes "Oh I need a fancy word for 'big'--Brobdingnagian!") I'm saying talk in such a way that your audience understands you but also in such a way that you're communicating exactly and elegantly, using everything that the beautiful, beautiful English language has to offer.
i think you can choose to either speak the way you want to or speak to your audience, obviously there is some sort of compromise but the choice is up to you, don't complain about your choice

Kefit

Smash Journeyman

Dude I was joking with Boom the other day that we should put our controllers down during our Hyrule match and go get sandwiches or something. I'm totally up for it if you are.

Also I'm pretty sure the projected length of our match will only continue to increase in the days leading up to Apex. By Thursday night the entire purpose of the event will be to host our single, unbroken, five stock game on Hyrule.

It will be rad.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Ok, so how about one Fox/Fox and one Fox/Ness for $5 each?
see, i'm just trying to give you a chance to win your money back!

i want to do a falcon one too if you are up for it.

i never thought i would ever get to use the word

but you dirks are being overly sesquipedalian
this is the most played joke of all time. ALL TIME.

Battlecow

Play to Win
meh usage of supercilious and unduly there

If only you had taken some classes in english literature OH WAIT

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Yes, if your intent is to engage in any kind of serious discourse then don't ****ing write like me when I'm in flippant trolling ****** mode. I would hope that this is self-evident, but apparently it isn't for all you folks out there.

ps I'm not entirely convinced that "Brobdingnagian" can be used in a serious manner if one does not intend on making a direct reference to Swift's work; the word itself, simply existing, is almost enough to make me laugh.

Anyway to make this more on topic here have a chat log:

SuPeRbOoFmAn505: I don't like dumb spots
SuPeRbOoFmAn505: where you get punished for going in
Kefit42: so all of hyrule
SuPeRbOoFmAn505: mostly
SuPeRbOoFmAn505: left side and tent
SuPeRbOoFmAn505: lolol
Kefit42: yes one player will be there
Kefit42: the other will be on the center platform
Kefit42: I think this constitutes all of hyrule
SuPeRbOoFmAn505: yeah, that always happens

Top Bottom