• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2014 - January 17-19, 2014 - Somerset, NJ

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
okay wait back on topic

let's assume we barely cap at 128. 16 pools of 8 people with top 2 advancing into winner's/loser's means a 32 man bracket. with a lot of really good players already in loser's.

wow

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Might not be able to alias if only 2 people make it out of pools.

Don't wanna get stuck in a moyashi/killer pool cause I'm not seeded.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I feel like I really popularized the misspelling of that crew as Koroyoshi. I'm proud of that.

The Star King

Smash Hero
yeah I noticed it could be Koro yoshi a while ago. The great Koro's reign of shadows streches further than I had thought.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Any1 have any news about the japanese players? Last year King Funk helped them. They probably need help with registration this year allso.

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
I made the accounts and will pull the trigger and do the registration once they confirm flight tickets

Skrlx

Smash Champion
1 pool of 32 people...

I don't know much about tournament bracket/seeding stuff, but that just sounds awful.

wtf. Why isn't 64 finals on Sunday?

Annex

Smash Ace
Does this mean we're back to complaining about that?

If it is, I suggest just doing a petition, since this thread is just an echo chamber of "RR!" " 'keeping it UNIFORM?!' PFFFF". Not to say I don't agree with you guys but it's not doing any good here.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
and 10am on saturday morning.

wait

4 pools, 32 people each, top 2 advance

that's 8 people

is this some sort of ****ing joke

i'm speechless

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
This is the reason we're not allowed to do round robin. Because we're being forced to do pools of 32 people. On top of having to do all of singles in a single day until 10 PM with finals literally 12 hours right after that.

>muh equality
>b-but the other games
>10 AM finals? N-no, don't worry about it, w-we wanna showcase some 64 action at apex!
>Look just sit down and shut the **** up and give us your ****ing money. You're gonna play your game the way we tell you and you're gonna like it
> You're getting "equal" treatment and you little ****s are gonna like it. Some games are just more equal than others, got it?

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Basically it just means that the pools are essentially the bracket. Except the bracket is divided into 4 pieces. since its already double elimination in pools it really makes no difference if 8 advance or 32 or 64. You play until you lose twice so it makes no difference where the cut off point is. if you guys wanna be mad then u should be mad that its not smaller groups of round robin pools but this is no worse than the earlier proposed 8 man pools one person advancing into winners and one into losers.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'll have to have a chat with strife. it's just been hard because I've been out of the country and time zones and stuff. In the meantime though I suggest you guys choice your concerns done place that isn't the ssb64 board

clubbadubba

Smash Master

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
8 man bracket

eight ****ing man bracket. yes, i am mad. i would be hella surprised if alex came up with this **** because it is the basic opposite of what he said yesterday.

also, he said top 6 is being streamed, how the hell is that working with an 8 man bracket.

oh yeah, one more thing. part of the thread basically says we'll be running this tournament on other tvs as well. does this mean that we have to provide n64 setups and tvs just for them to use said tvs for brawl/melee as well?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I believe that would work by streaming WF and the losers bracket from Losers Round 2 and on (2 in winners and 4 in losers)

We were told we would get pools, and all we have is a bracket with an arbitrary distinction between one part of the bracket and another. Unless 2nd place bracket pool finishers go to winners and not losers, in which case its ever so slightly closer to pools. This is jank yo

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
why cant we just have a 16 person bracket, aka top 4 advance. i mean our tournament is 3 times smaller.
i would also like to know how they are going to seed this, i mean look at how stacked this tournament is.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
you know something is up when a top seed from a 32 person bracket dislikes the settings.

oh yeah, another thing, gl to the staff trying to move tvs around when we dont use wiis for 64, (i mean this does work out splendid for ssbm/ssbb, i mean they do both run on the wii

clubbadubba

Smash Master
My guess is that they want to finish the tournament in time to be streamed Saturday morning. There is nothing before 2pm on Clash tournaments on Sunday though...

So Koro have you been in contact with A Strife via smashboards PMs then? I was about to send him one but I figured I'd check with you because I don't wanna bombard him.

Top Bottom