• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
Mango v Armada was pretty epic.
I like Mango.
Armada in that set was godlike though. Then Mango v Javi was epic too.
Armada is godlike in general. Mango v Armada was hype as ****, probably the favorite match that I was expecting.

Mango v Javi and PP v Javi were amazing as well.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I'm proud of Mango giving it his all as well. Probably the first time he's ever tried and actually gotten wrecked, but he seemed to be in a good mood. He probably doesn't care half as much as his fanboys do.
The whole "try-hard" mango thing is really just a john. It's true that mango has sandbagged, like last apex, but he tries hard all the time and it needs to stop being a john every time he doesn't place first.

Fågelholken

Smash Apprentice
The whole "try-hard" mango thing is really just a john. It's true that mango has sandbagged, like last apex, but he tries hard all the time and it needs to stop being a john every time he doesn't place first.
Weeeell, that might be true with the characters he's been using, but so far it's only Genesis 2, ROM4 and Apex 2 that he's been going all out with his best characters for a long time. By try hard Mango, I mean him using Falco/Fox/Puff, not necessarily a state of mind.

And I just wonder what happened in the first set of Lovage vs Javi. The second set and the rest of the night he just wrecked everyone up until Hungrybox. Why did he lose the first one?

Fågelholken

Smash Apprentice
I told you Battlecow :/
Wat? If you mean that as "a Mango fanboy", couldn't be further from the truth. I've always doubted this "sandbagging" talk and wanted him to prove he's still the best. But as time went on, he really showed he's still on a different level than most people. He's basically wrecking everyone except Armada. (And for some strange reason, Hungrybox, today)

And actually, after thinking about it, I change my mind, Armada is undeniably the best with Mango being really close. I wish he'd explore more characters against Armada. Why didn't he go Falcon or someone else like he talked about in his blog?

Riio

Smash Cadet
Weeeell, that might be true with the characters he's been using, but so far it's only Genesis 2, ROM4 and Apex 2 that he's been going all out with his best characters for a long time. By try hard Mango, I mean him using Falco/Fox/Puff, not necessarily a state of mind.

And I just wonder what happened in the first set of Lovage vs Javi. The second set and the rest of the night he just wrecked everyone up until Hungrybox. Why did he lose the first one?
Well Lovage is legit, possibly the best American Fox after Mango. Can't discount him like that.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
In an interview with Armada (by me) right after the tourney, he said that he wasn't expecting to lose to Mango. He was surprised at the 3-0, though, and thought Mango was playing a worse than usual, but definitely giving his all.

R3N0

Smash Lord
Based on this bracket that tafo gave us, Me and Zeldafreak have discussed our predictions!

Results:

1:
2:
3: Dr. PP
4: Hungrybox
5: Axe
5: Mew2King
7: Amsah
7: Shroomed
9: Jman
9: Ice
9: Wobbles
9: Javi
13: Vanz
13: Chu Dat
13: KirbyKaze
13: Tope
17: Chillindude829
17: Lovage
17: DaShizWiz
17: HugS
17: Zhu
17: SFAT
17: IB
17: S2J
25: PewpewU
25: Kage
25: Colbol
25: Hax
25: Leffen
25: Westballz
25: Unknown522
25: Plup
33: Eggz
33: HBK
33: MacD
33: Redd
33: Eggm
33: Vudujin
33: PC Chris
33: Cactuar
33: Azen
33: Linguini
33: Bladewise
33: Cyrain
33: Darrell
33: KoreanDJ
33: Th0rn
33: Silent Wolf
49: Tang
49: Mattdotzeb
49: Weon-X
49: Vist
49: Tai
49: Sol
49: Swiftbass
49: Drugged Fox
49: Teczer0
49: StricNyN3
49: Stabbedbyanipple
49: Reno
49: Ambix
49: Darc
49: Ravenlord
49: Zoso

A couple notes:
We feel Shroomed and Javi are placing a bit too high for our predictions, but we're going with it based on the bracket
There were many matchups that could go either way, we're excited to see what actually happens tmrw!
I hope Amsah and Ice don't have to play each other that early.

Just an FYI, I beat Plup and then lost to Vanz and Westballs. Thanks.

Fågelholken

Smash Apprentice
Well Lovage is legit, possibly the best American Fox after Mango. Can't discount him like that.
Nono, no disrespect to Lovage, I think he's the best American Fox main right now. But Javi beat him the second time and just rolled players that are ranked higher than he is. I just wonder what made such a difference, or if it was just one bad set/Fox dittos being more randomish.

Then again, Hbox lost to KK then took it easily, so I guess even top players have bad sets.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
In an interview with Armada (by me) right after the tourney, he said that he wasn't expecting to lose to Mango. He was surprised at the 3-0, though, and thought Mango was playing a worse than usual, but definitely giving his all.
I'm glad that Armada agrees that Mango was playing worse than usual, because I kinda wanted to say something but worried that it would be discounted as me johning for him. A Mango fanboy I'm really not, but some of that spark didn't really seem to be there, particularly versus Hungrybox.

EDIT: Not that I'm trying to say that he wasn't giving it his all. But he didn't look as fast and clever as he normally does.

Also, thanks Tekk for making me laugh out loud a few pages back. The simple eloquence of "you are so dumb" makes me smile.

Fågelholken

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad that Armada agrees that Mango was playing worse than usual, because I kinda wanted to say something but worried that it would be discounted as me johning for him. A Mango fanboy I'm really not, but some of that spark didn't really seem to be there, particularly versus Hungrybox.

EDIT: Not that I'm trying to say that he wasn't giving it his all. But he didn't look as fast and clever as he normally does.

Also, thanks Tekk for making me laugh out loud a few pages back. The simple eloquence of "you are so dumb" makes me smile.

I agree. Although he tried and probably wouldn't have won either way, he did look a little... distant? I don't know, guess he's got a lot of other things going for him now (Girlfriend, lol), it's not as important. I remember him being asked on stream by Amsah some nights before who he thought would win, and he replied with "Who cares".

Definitely not the drive Armada has, and as long as that's the case, he'll never beat him in the future either.

And although it breaks my heart to see PP lose, he really shows you how important this is for him. Him just tossing his controller, looking defeated. You can't fake that ****, it makes you root for him. PP's gonna **** everyone soon enough.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
I agree. Although he tried and probably wouldn't have won either way, he did look a little... distant? I don't know, guess he's got a lot of other things going for him now (Girlfriend, lol), it's not as important. I remember him being asked on stream by Amsah some nights before who he thought would win, and he replied with "Who cares".

Definitely not the drive Armada has, and as long as that's the case, he'll never beat him in the future either.

And although it breaks my heart to see PP lose, he really shows you how important this is for him. Him just tossing his controller, looking defeated. You can't fake that ****, it makes you root for him. PP's gonna **** everyone soon enough.
These things you say. I agree with all of them pretty much uniformly. :p

Although we'll just see about PP. I'm rooting for him, I really am, but he's gonna struggle getting to the top with two players above him (assuming Mango sticks around and gets a bit of the fire going again) that have beaten him pretty convincingly in their most recent sets. And now Javi.

Now JAVI is a player that I really hope gets the fire going to become the next world champ, because what I saw convinced me that he's got all the potential to make Grand Finals of a major international if he puts some heavy work into it (and learns MUs that he has less experience with).

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Javi is exactly what this community needs. Who the heck saw that coming?

And honestly, if Javi and PP were to play a few more matches I think PP would adapt and win. Even if not, PP is still the all around better player. Javi got a largely fast faller bracket so we dont know how he would do against some different characters. He lost to hbox, but he did beat vanz.

Fågelholken

Smash Apprentice
These things you say. I agree with all of them pretty much uniformly. :p

Although we'll just see about PP. I'm rooting for him, I really am, but he's gonna struggle getting to the top with two players above him (assuming Mango sticks around and gets a bit of the fire going again) that have beaten him pretty convincingly in their most recent sets. And now Javi.

Now JAVI is a player that I really hope gets the fire going to become the next world champ, because what I saw convinced me that he's got all the potential to make Grand Finals of a major international if he puts some heavy work into it (and learns MUs that he has less experience with).

Yeah man, Javi was sick. It was the first time outside of Mango where I felt like it was Fox played top 2012 style. I don't think there has ever been a dominant Fox main in Melee history, but he shows it's possible.

As far as PP is concerned, he has ways to go for sure, but I've got faith. He's beaten Armada before, and although he got his *** handed to him by Mango and Javi, both are things I can see him adapt to and defeat. I'm confident he'll always be a threat to anyone in the community.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Yeah man, Javi was sick. It was the first time outside of Mango where I felt like it was Fox played top 2012 style. I don't think there has ever been a dominant Fox main in Melee history, but he shows it's possible.

As far as PP is concerned, he has ways to go for sure, but I've got faith. He's beaten Armada before, and although he got his *** handed to him by Mango and Javi, both are things I can see him adapt to and defeat. I'm confident he'll always be a threat to anyone in the community.
Yeah I realized I worded my thoughts about PP pretty badly. :p What I basically meant was that it's possible, and I'd love to see it, but that he's going to have a long road ahead. He's gonna have to work harder than Armada has already been working to catch up again.

I just cannot wait to see Javi come to another international. I won't pretend I cared about him prior to this tournament or thought he'd get higher than like T17 at most, but when I have free time this week I'm gonna be looking for all the sets of his I can find.

Am looking forward to Lovage's thoughts on Javi in the post-tourney shoutouts thread.

EDIT: Javi got fourth. Lost early to Lovage, then tore his way through Losers bracket (beating Lovage in a rematch along the way) all the way up to Losers Semis against Hungrybox where he was finally bested. Other notables he beat include KDJ and PP (I forget who else he beat).

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
Thanks. Wow I'm glad he did good then he really showed mexico's smash skills. Did he do ok against Hungrybox

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Thanks. Wow I'm glad he did good then he really showed mexico's smash skills. Did he do ok against Hungrybox
He did not take a game off Hungrybox, but I certainly would not say he got DOMINATED or anything, and if I recall correctly Game 3 was very close indeed.

Him beating PP was the hypest moment of the tourney, as far as I could tell. His comeback in Game 2 (only had one stock v. PP with three stocks and at low percent) was extremely impressive.

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
So was it Young link vs Puff grandfinals then? Sorry if I keep asking questions I left for a few hours so I didn't see everything.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Javi is exactly what this community needs. Who the heck saw that coming?

And honestly, if Javi and PP were to play a few more matches I think PP would adapt and win. Even if not, PP is still the all around better player. Javi got a largely fast faller bracket so we dont know how he would do against some different characters. He lost to hbox, but he did beat vanz.
What makes you think that PP is the overall better player? And had they kept playing I imagine they'd either go even, or Javi would beat him even harder. I don't know why you think PP would adapt to him, instead of Javi adapting and beat him even harder.

SS: Armada
S: Mango, Hungrybox, Dr. PeePee, Javi, Mew2King (not ordered)

It breaks my heart, but Amsah and Axe are not uber players. :(

Oh well. :awesome:
Yeah, I agree with this. And to those saying that Mango is on a different level than Dr.PeePee, Hungrybox, Javi and Mew2king. I disagree. Mango isn't on a higher level, he is simply the best in the group.

Varist

Smash Lord
NOOOOOOO MANGOOOOOOOOO YOU ARE STILL THE BEST NOOOOO

i am conflicted between keeping the faith in mango and wanting to give props to armada

armada is best tourney player but mango owns friendlies and seriouslies okay. ffff

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
Thanks guys. I heard that it went to another set also, but Armada 3-0 that time.

I like the results of the tournaments good job Armada was definitely rooting for you.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Fun fact: Armada's Young Link still continues to have never been Rested by Hungrybox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom