• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apparentlly, we suck against Wario, as well as Craptain Failcon

Umpadumpalump

Smash Apprentice
Lol, as flawed as online is it still has some impact on the discussion, though small. Squirt's utilt effs Falcon up too.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I'm I the only one who disagrees with squirtle being easy to grab? I think it's one of the harder chaingrabs to pull of as I usually see squirtle in the air and when he's on the ground a well timed jab and ftilt make shielding a bit harder to time.

-:bowser:Bowser King
In fact, it is quite easy to do. As soon as squirtle is released, simply dash grab:)
(a small error in your timing could make him able to neutral a in time though, but it's still not hard imo, but I did practice it:))

I dont understand is why these PT players are acting as if their somehow superior, even though CF has been consistantly doing better than PT in tournaments
Me neither. Some of the PT mainers here didn't/don't even take it seriously:(
while, like you said, falcon has been doing better in tournies than PT.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
revising? you can't tell me you are in a big advantage if any >_>
and I'm willing to play all who want:) just message me your fc and I'll add you and brawl you asap

(can't brawl tonight, but def tommorrow.)
and if you say wifi doesn't count..that's kina nonsense imo, but in that case, I don't know how we could 'revise' this matchup..
If I decided to face you, I'd rather do it offline. I'll tell oyu now, I am not the best PT on the boards, so me representing PT and the PT boards on a match for this matter would be a bad idea. Steeler, Pokemon Maret IRL, Reflex, or some of those guys, they would be ideal.

Here's another question. We all know CF and PT tourny appearances are rare in tournies. But I know in places there has to be that clash somewhere. Supposed out there we do have 2 people of "equal skill" fight each other and its PT v CF. You really confident that CF will win? Also why havent we really heard about it yet if CF is really better than PT? I would expect some1 one your boards to have competed in tournies and fought maybe 1 singe decent PT or even a good one, and if he won I know he would be here telling us up.

Zeallyx

If I decided to face you, I'd rather do it offline. I'll tell oyu now, I am not the best PT on the boards, so me representing PT and the PT boards on a match for this matter would be a bad idea. Steeler, Pokemon Maret IRL, Reflex, or some of those guys, they would be ideal.

Here's another question. We all know CF and PT tourny appearances are rare in tournies. But I know in places there has to be that clash somewhere. Supposed out there we do have 2 people of "equal skill" fight each other and its PT v CF. You really confident that CF will win? Also why havent we really heard about it yet if CF is really better than PT? I would expect some1 one your boards to have competed in tournies and fought maybe 1 singe decent PT or even a good one, and if he won I know he would be here telling us up.
huh, what makes you think that someone would come here and tell who they've beaten after a tourny :/ our board must be full of posts like that..wich makes me think..if PT and CF had clashed in a tourny at one point and the PT had won, why didn't we hear anything about it?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
not worth posting considering I think everyone still considers CF the worst guy in the game and PT maybe only 2 characters above him. =/

Also, what do you want us to say about this thread? You want us to argue as best we can just so our words can just be tossed asside from IMO arrogance. IMO it looks like your mind has already been made up as to who would win in this match up and thats Falcon.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Wario has a better aerial than Squirtle all around and plus Wario has more power and weight to make him a better character than Squirtle in general. Even though Warios moves are not as quick as Squirtles aerials and not as much range but Wario stiill has better knock back with the aerials.

Both their ground game suck and their grabs arent so great either. Though Squirtles grab range is much longer thanks to the hydro grab and it deals more knock back if you did the down throw. Warios throws are nothing to sneeze about at all.

Player-3

Smash Hero
not worth posting considering I think everyone still considers CF the worst guy in the game and PT maybe only 2 characters above him. =/

Also, what do you want us to say about this thread? You want us to argue as best we can just so our words can just be tossed asside from IMO arrogance. IMO it looks like your mind has already been made up as to who would win in this match up and thats Falcon.
if thats directed at me i must say, how dare you sir

i never made a ratio but if i could id say dead even.

or 50.1/49.9 falcons favor

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
In fact, it is quite easy to do. As soon as squirtle is released, simply dash grab:)
(a small error in your timing could make him able to neutral a in time though, but it's still not hard imo, but I did practice it:))
No, I mean actually grabbing him. I'm sure the CG isn't that hard with practice but I mean't actually getting a chance to use it.

Zeallyx

arrogance....no :/
and you guys think PT is better than CF right? and I think that CF is better than PT, but I'm here to see if you guys can change my mind.
and we can live happily ever after :3

No, I mean actually grabbing him. I'm sure the CG isn't that hard with practice but I mean't actually getting a chance to use it.

Nah it really isn't that hard imo, even when he's sliding around and stuff.:)

Ugg

Smash Champion
Ok, so i can see PT having a disadvantage... but... really that big????
Dam it... i was used to people who understimated ivy (who btw i think has a near neutral matchup against wario)... but now i can see they have no respect for the zard neither...
Oh, and i have one word for them:

GRAB RELEASE

ok i know thats actually two words
You won't be able to grab a good wario, and if that was enough to make matchups in wario's disadvantage, then most of his matchups WOULD be disadvantaged.
But, that's not the case

Player-3

Smash Hero
You won't be able to grab a good wario, and if that was enough to make matchups in wario's disadvantage, then most of his matchups WOULD be disadvantaged.
But, that's not the case
yeah, if that was the case falcon would be at an advantage... CG up to 50% ot a knee is like 0-70 in less than a minute
=|
but no... tis not the case

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I read through your synopsis of the pokemon, nice job on doing your homework, but I find it look like CF has virtually no lag. CF is fast, yes, so is squirtle.

Squirtle has good airs. CF imo has decent. Even though he has a spike, theres a slight chance you would spike a squirlte alot.

Ivy, has razor leaf and down tilt, so he can space and if you think of Falcon shorthopping(cuz flacon is so manly his short hop is enormus) we can snipe you from the sky with vine whip. and if that fails we stil got bullet seed. Ivy's Nair is beastly and we can follow up with F-tilt for a good combo. Sure we have a sucky recovery but I think ledge guarding would be about even. Ivy or CF, depending on position could ledge guard the other. Ivy with his invincy frame recovery thing that I'm still trying to perfect(aka TL's Z-tilt with hook shot). CF can up B up and kill us if we are at a stage like FD.

Charz has flame thrower which can space falcon. We also have rock smash which comes in handy in alot of parts in matches when he is out. his jabs are good and his grab is imo one of the best in the game. its quick. not to mention we have a spot dodge- Dsmash capability really easily. however our other 2 pokemon cant do it as well. if spaced right we can tip yall with Bair flame tail, that has a decent knock back.

Mainly falcon Punch, either yall know how to use it ot yall have to get lucky if yall land those things. Knees, you unless you know that hitbox, you get lucky, falcon kick; quite fast but pretty sure can be countered with flame thrower and razor leaf. OOO and another thing I just htought of. a fully charged water gun could trump yalls recovery. side B recoveries, I'm still thinking of ways to get around it, or if i cant I wont persue if I see that the chances of Raptor Boost recovery is high.

I htink that is it.

at most i'd give you squirtle for the match up cuz he is light.

Player-3

Smash Hero
I read through your synopsis of the pokemon, nice job on doing your homework, but I find it look like CF has virtually no lag. CF is fast, yes, so is squirtle.

Squirtle has good airs. CF imo has decent. Even though he has a spike, theres a slight chance you would spike a squirlte alot.

Ivy, has razor leaf and down tilt, so he can space and if you think of Falcon shorthopping(cuz flacon is so manly his short hop is enormus) we can snipe you from the sky with vine whip. and if that fails we stil got bullet seed. Ivy's Nair is beastly and we can follow up with F-tilt for a good combo. Sure we have a sucky recovery but I think ledge guarding would be about even. Ivy or CF, depending on position could ledge guard the other. Ivy with his invincy frame recovery thing that I'm still trying to perfect(aka TL's Z-tilt with hook shot). CF can up B up and kill us if we are at a stage like FD.

Charz has flame thrower which can space falcon. We also have rock smash which comes in handy in alot of parts in matches when he is out. his jabs are good and his grab is imo one of the best in the game. its quick. not to mention we have a spot dodge- Dsmash capability really easily. however our other 2 pokemon cant do it as well. if spaced right we can tip yall with Bair flame tail, that has a decent knock back.

Mainly falcon Punch, either yall know how to use it ot yall have to get lucky if yall land those things. Knees, you unless you know that hitbox, you get lucky, falcon kick; quite fast but pretty sure can be countered with flame thrower and razor leaf. OOO and another thing I just htought of. a fully charged water gun could trump yalls recovery. side B recoveries, I'm still thinking of ways to get around it, or if i cant I wont persue if I see that the chances of Raptor Boost recovery is high.

I htink that is it.

first thing i saw was that "water gun can gimp our recovery"
Nada.
any good falcon will recover from UNDER the stage, to prevent said gimp.
yes, if you manage to land it PERFECTLY it would give you more time to edgehog, but a watergun alone will not kill a (good) falcon.

i would say neutral, due to falcons up air being insane on charzard (laggydair), ivy i agree is a horrid match up falcons, d tilts nairs bullet seed bair razor leaf, just horrid
squirtle is in falcons favor, i think we have decided that.
so one bad + one good + one neutral = neutral, correct?
=\

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Lets put a tack on that and wait a day or two. Give some higher up a chance to put in their 2 cents.

Tenki

Smash Hero
any good falcon will recover from UNDER the stage, to prevent said gimp.
yes, if you manage to land it PERFECTLY it would give you more time to edgehog, but a watergun alone will not kill a (good) falcon.
Situation:

Squirtle B-throws you off the edge. You are facing away from the edge, where your up-B's horizontal distance is severely cut.

=???

Situation 2:

You are recovering against Charizard. You go below the ledge. You begin upB -

oops, charizard spiked you with his ubermassivedisjointedD-air

:[

edit:
and even if he didn't predict it and chase you below the ledge, he can double jump D-air to prevent your up-B from grabbing and **** the up-B anyway lol.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Sounds like a plan..

this will be the first matchup thats not agaisnt the good ol' captain, i mean, hes even at a disadvantage to himself..

Player-3

Smash Hero
Situation:

Squirtle B-throws you off the edge. You are facing away from the edge, where your up-B's horizontal distance is severely cut.

=???

Situation 2:

You are recovering against Charizard. You go below the ledge. You begin upB -

oops, charizard spiked you with his ubermassivedisjointedD-air

:[
silly, you dont recover under when its CHARIZARD
]:
i was talking 'bout squirtle...
=|
and i dont get situation one,... if his horizontal distance was cut, RFP?
thats what id do.. :p
but even if you didnt wouldnt it be better to wait until your under it anyways ?

Zeallyx

I htink that is it.

hmm..yes. I can land quite some falcon punches:) but that doesn't make the matchup better for falcon as it stays an incredebly risky move.

alright, so I'd say:

falcon > squirtle: 60-40
falcon > charizard: 55-45 (imo, because:

flame thrower can be a pain, I agree, but it is also punishable, as I've seen it used as an aerial approach, wich was easy to counter. As an edge guard, flame thrower can rack up damage dangerously fast, but in this angle, it is counterable with falcon's up b. even though DI out+up b>sweetspot the ledge is safer.

Also, as charizard is a large opponent, he is very sweet kneeable. Even though the knee is quite a endlagging move, the IASA frames in the knee's ending lag make it shorter, not much, but it can safe our lives.

We wont fastfall the knee often though, only to punish baited smashes/jabs etc.

The SH endinglagless knee can sweet spot charizard fast, giving him 19% damage, and its quite easily done in my experience. And it can also KO offcourse.

If it wasn't for the jab interruptions and/or rocksmash, I'd say this matchup was even. But with falcon's speed and moves that seem to work on charizard nicely (SH endinglagless knee and Uair due to charizards laggy Dair for example) I'd say falcon has an advantage over charizard.

and:

Ivysaur>falcon: 60-40

Ivy's bullet seed and some of his arials, his Fsmash (although it has quite some after lag, it can KO nicely and is great for punishing) and razor leaf to force an approach, I say ivysaur is the hardest for falcon to deal with, and has an advantage over falcon.

With a 60-40 in falcon's favor
a 55-45 in falcon's favor
and a 60-40 in PT favor, I say the overall matchup is:

58-42: falcon's favor. (weird number though :p)

Zeallyx

I got a question Knee? if we camped yall with Razor leaf, how would yall approach?
SH AD's (DI'd away from you if needed) or..wow I know something to test :D
maybe SH knee stops the razor leaves *hopes*

but aside from that, a well timed falling Uair/Dair might do the trick too.

depends on your reaction when we do approach offcourse >.<

Bomber7

Smash Hero
well even if you kneed the razor leaf it leaves you open for punishment like a upsmash and for some characters at 50% or a little more a un charged upsmash will do the trick. =D

If you think you can dodge roll like some people think, you will just get bullet seeded. A person who can use razor leaf acuratly could follow you in the air and hit you with it. To me Ivy is like an anti aerial gun. you get in the air, with the right chosen moves then you are shot down.

Edit: g2g ttyl.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
DIing away is an excellent approach.

The correct answer was "I would approach by powershielding Razor Leaf because it's one of the easiest moves in the game to powershield"

I still don't think Falcon has an advantage over any of the Pokemon personally, but that's just me. I can see him going even with Squirtle, but I think even that is pushing it a bit.

Zeallyx

well even if you kneed the razor leaf it leaves you open for punishment like a upsmash and for some characters at 50% or a little more a un charged upsmash will do the trick. =D

If you think you can dodge roll like some people think, you will just get bullet seeded. A person who can use razor leaf acuratly could follow you in the air and hit you with it. To me Ivy is like an anti aerial gun. you get in the air, with the right chosen moves then you are shot down.

Edit: g2g ttyl.
Nah, if a flubbed knee takes care of a razor leaf, we could SH flub knee>lagless landing to get through the leaves.

And yes powershielding is an option, but I got grabbed by ivysaur as I tried that ( he did razor leaf>wait>dashgrab me)

Charizard92

Smash Champion
hmm..yes. I can land quite some falcon punches:) but that doesn't make the matchup better for falcon as it stays an incredebly risky move.

alright, so I'd say:

falcon > squirtle: 60-40
falcon > charizard: 55-45 (imo, because:

flame thrower can be a pain, I agree, but it is also punishable, as I've seen it used as an aerial approach, wich was easy to counter. As an edge guard, flame thrower can rack up damage dangerously fast, but in this angle, it is counterable with falcon's up b. even though DI out+up b>sweetspot the ledge is safer.

Also, as charizard is a large opponent, he is very sweet kneeable. Even though the knee is quite a endlagging move, the IASA frames in the knee's ending lag make it shorter, not much, but it can safe our lives.

We wont fastfall the knee often though, only to punish baited smashes/jabs etc.

The SH endinglagless knee can sweet spot charizard fast, giving him 19% damage, and its quite easily done in my experience. And it can also KO offcourse.

If it wasn't for the jab interruptions and/or rocksmash, I'd say this matchup was even. But with falcon's speed and moves that seem to work on charizard nicely (SH endinglagless knee and Uair due to charizards laggy Dair for example) I'd say falcon has an advantage over charizard.

and:

Ivysaur>falcon: 60-40

Ivy's bullet seed and some of his arials, his Fsmash (although it has quite some after lag, it can KO nicely and is great for punishing) and razor leaf to force an approach, I say ivysaur is the hardest for falcon to deal with, and has an advantage over falcon.

With a 60-40 in falcon's favor
a 55-45 in falcon's favor
and a 60-40 in PT favor, I say the overall matchup is:

58-42: falcon's favor. (weird number though :p)
Fail, just fail. Go back to your own thread and I'll point out why.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
alright i will actually contribute here.

release grab is falcon's savior on squirtle, not something that makes the matchup even more in falcon's advantage, if you know what i mean. falcon would struggle without it, honestly. squirtle's attacks are still quicker than falcon's, especially on the ground. 55/45 falcon's advantage imo.

ivysaur has a solid advantage. his defenses are quite annoying for someone with an already bad approach. razor leaf, bair, fair, ftilt, dtilt, grabs. these tools will frustrate any falcon. ivy isn't all defense though, nair combos into other aerials (including itself), utilt, and bullet seeeeeed. on the ground, razor leaf gives ivy a chance to set up a grab or just tilt/jab. or just sit back and force falcon into a difficult approach. obviously being above falcon is bad for ivy but it's not serious. falcon getting a grab will be very difficult. the fire weakness will rarely come into play when the only attacks that can kill are slow anyway. fsmash, falcon punch. raptor boost might be a fire move. 65/35 ivysaur, maybe 70/30.

charizard. charizard has a slight advantage. again, it's about defensive tools that stop falcon approaches. one of the best shieldgrabs in the game. rock smash countering, which is particularly effective because of a lack of disjointed priority. yeah yeah falcon can "combo" charizard at low percent. charizard can also rock smash you for up to 45% to make up for it. :) 55/45 charizard, maybe 60/40. at low percent falcon can do some nice stuff but killing will be a *****.

so that's individual

trainer strategy

an ivysaur/charizard stock will absolutely **** falcon. space the balls out of falcon, rack up safe damage. kill with ivy or switch to zard to kill. lots of kill power there and then just tank the stock. falcon will not have an easy time of killing zard. zard won't care about fatigue or anything, he'll just sit back and try to counter your approaches with flamethrower, rock smash, grabs, or his good tilts. then squirtle comes in at low percent, which is what you want so that the release grabs don't kill you or anything. switch when the opportunity first presents itself. that's how pokemon trainer should beat captain falcon. overall, this is a 60/40 for pt's advantage. not a bad matchup for falcon at all, you just need to be slightly better than the pt or really mess up the switch order.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
^ Agrees with this guy.

Face it, ordinarily, any person faster than Charizard gives trouble to him, but 5 of those 6 have good approaches, anything even close to a projectile, and/or good air game. C. Falcon is the 6th person. His approach is bad, his Kill moves are so slow they're ****, and Charizard should have absolutely no problem playing defensive, burning you, unleashing rock smash, gimping you, and actually rising in rank on the tier list. Again, C. Falcon is neither a manifestation of a dream nor a nightmare for Charizard, it is just slightly tilting in our dragon's favor.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
OK, where's the lead pipe?! Just look at what we had to say. We have a minuscule advantage, get over it!

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
zard92 i could very well be wrong on some points :\

the knee also has very ****ty range and is easily shieldgrabbed.

or rock smash countered (i wonder what rock smash and SS knee would do? collapse the universe maybe)

or flamethrowered if zard sees it coming early enough, ft has 20 startup frames so it's not that reliable.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
I thought falcon punished mistakes with his -3 frame jab ?_? (yeah that's right his jab comes out BEFORE YOU EVEN PRESS A)

I still don't think Squirtle is at a disadvantage here. Falcon's recovery isn't a bad recovery, but it's still a linear recovery and isn't hard to edgeguard with Squirtle's fair/bair (and even dair). Water Gun isn't an issue for Falcon unless he for some reason recovers above the stage. I guess you could use Water Gun to send Falcon underneath the FD lip or something, but that seems pretty situational. That being said, Falcon can also edgeguard Squirtle himself, but you have to position yourself so that you won't be hit by the water (ie get behind Squirtle and try to stage spike with bair, or try to dair him out of waterfall).

On the stage, I also think Squirtle has the advantage. Squirtle's aerials are overall better than Falcon's (I'm NOT saying Falcon's are bad, because I know they aren't). Because of Squirtle's small size, Falcon has to use his aerials carefully if he wants to actually be effective with them. Squirtle can also really rack up the damage with uptilt/upair combos (especially when fatigued) due to Falcon's fall speed, although he will first need to get inside Falcon's range.

I've noticed a lot of posts mentioning the grab release chain grab (and possible infinite? has that been confirmed?), and I just plain don't get it. When people mention all of the grab release combos on Wario, EVERYONE immediately says "good luck grabbing him". Why can't the same be said for Squirtle? Squirtle is also one of the most mobile characters in the game when airborne, most of his aerials (excluding dair and a poorly timed upair) have little, if any, landing lag, and he has a 1 frame jab to punish opponents trying to shield grab. Honestly, Squirtle should be just as hard to grab as Wario is. If Falcon does manage to get a grab on Squirtle, yeah, it's pretty devastating. But frankly, that shouldn't be happening enough to swing the matchup in Falcon's favour.

Another thing which surprisingly hasn't been mentioned (I think) is Squirtle's grab game. For a character of his size, Squirtle actually has a deceptively big grab range. He also has good throws for damage, setup, and killing. Squirtle's upthrow is actually a really good throw (I will even go as far to say that it's overall his best throw). Not only is it his most damaging throw at 11% (tied with his back throw), but it also sends opponents into an excellent position for upair 'juggles'. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't Falcon like to be below his opponents if possible so that he can hit with upair and nair easier, or at least on even ground with them? The only things Falcon can do to defend below him are dair and Falcon Kick (and air dodges, which can be both baited and punished pretty easily). Dair isn't very relieble when going against an upair happy Squirtle, and Falcon Kick is also easily punishable (it might be possible to punish it even if you get hit; I'm not sure). And of course, Squirtle's down throw is a kill move, blah blah.

Another small detail is the fact that Squirtle resists fire moves. This makes Falcon's fsmash, upb, and whatever other fire killing moves Falcon has (I would mention Falcon Punch, but it's not very reliable. Wait, ****, I just did mention Falcon Punch) kill later. I'm not saying Squirtle will be some sort of ridiculous stock tank, and honestly I'm not even sure if Falcon's upb is considered a kill move, but I thought Squirtle's fire resistance should be mentioned anyways.

I just don't see how this matchup can be anything other than 60/40 (maybe 55/45) Squirtle's advantage

Bomber7

Smash Hero
55/45 Falcons favor! And a good falcon wont approach with the knee he would punish your mistakes with it.
I got a question. I have seen posts from you guys here and there saying "A good Falcon doesnt do ______"

Why isnt the Captain higher on the tier list or at least ranking higher on tournies? (which tourny placing really matters to me)

Top Bottom