• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Appearently, Mega Man is not the only one with a combo breaker!

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
I didn't discover this, but Leffen (William HJelte on youtube) did. Appearently, Diddy's combo breaker is more broken than Mega Man's and Mega Man's is predictable and punishable.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IxkIIG_Q0E#t=40
According to Leffen, if you use the peanut gun (Neutral B/Special Button) while in hitstun (I don't know if it also works if Diddy is in massive hitstun), you can cancel the hitstun into your peanut gun. Not only that, you can cancel the startup frames of your peanut gun with either a shield or airdodge.

To me, this will EASILY make Diddy one of the best characters in the game, and that's saying a lot as he's still already good.

So far, only mega man and diddy kong have combo breakers, but Diddy's is by far the most broken. Unlike Mega Man's where it's punishable since Mega Man can't do air attacks until the end of the jump arc of Up-B, Diddy can pull off his combo breaker at anytime it seems.

I do think it will punishable, but I do think this should get fixed. We will have to wait and see what happens, but this mechanic will definitly make him on of the best easily!

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I think Diddy's will be punishable too. I don't see this as a LARGE issue(wouldn't mind a patch to fix this **** tho) but honestly I think it's fine.

RanserSSF4

NNID
RanserSSF4
I think Diddy's will be punishable too. I don't see this as a LARGE issue(wouldn't mind a patch to fix this **** tho) but honestly I think it's fine.
The two biggest problems this combo breaker does have is the following:

1. the peanut gun has a bit landing lag, if done when diddy is at low %
2. Even if they airdodged, you can predict that since airdodges got nerfed and are very punishable. Same thing if they decided to use their sheild. Predict that and you can get a follow-up or reset.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I'm pretty sure it's already common knowledge that the peanut can stop a combo, but it doesn't stop a read or anything. If Diddies get too reliant on it someone can just wait and roll at them because of how rolls work in this game.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Meh, I'm sure Diddy Kong's hitstun cancelling isn't a game-breaker. I'm sure that over time, people will adapt to it just like how they adapted to Mega Man Rush Cancelling. For starters, the enemy can probably power-shield the Peanut and leave themselves at a frame advantage by doing so, allowing them to punish. If they can't, then maybe Diddy's hitsun cancelling might be strong. Don't rely on one fancy tech to be #1 though, Ice Climbers in Brawl had an infinite chain grab and they weren't actually the best.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Meh, I'm sure Diddy Kong's hitstun cancelling isn't a game-breaker. I'm sure that over time, people will adapt to it just like how they adapted to Mega Man Rush Cancelling. For starters, the enemy can probably power-shield the Peanut and leave themselves at a frame advantage by doing so, allowing them to punish. If they can't, then maybe Diddy's hitsun cancelling might be strong. Don't rely on one fancy tech to be #1 though, Ice Climbers in Brawl had an infinite chain grab and they weren't actually the best.
Obviously you didn't watch the video?

Being able to INSTANTLY AIRDODGE AND SHIELD after non-tumble histun? That's INCREDIBLY broken. Let's add that you can transition to item tossing out of airdodge. Yeah. See where this is going?

K Nintendo. You got your work cut out. ZSS infinite, special moves canceling hitstun, and HOPEFULLY you will consider making meteors untechable. Not to mention adjusting the really really gimmicky meteors on things like Metaknight F-air and Greninja U-air.

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace

Being able to INSTANTLY AIRDODGE AND SHIELD after non-tumble histun? That's INCREDIBLY broken. Let's add that you can transition to item tossing out of airdodge. Yeah. See where this is going?

K Nintendo. You got your work cut out. ZSS infinite, special moves canceling hitstun, and HOPEFULLY you will consider making meteors untechable. Not to mention adjusting the really really gimmicky meteors on things like Metaknight F-air and Greninja U-air.
I don't buy it, that can't be enough to make the character broken. What originally made the character top-tier (banana mindgames) is no longer as viable due to some pretty significant nerfs to the Banana. While this is definitely important tech, I believe it is not nearly as devastating as you may initially think. Not to mention that Shielding is punishable in the form of a grab. About the item tossing thing, Banana's probably aren't the force they were in Brawl so I still don't buy that it's an OP tech.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Being impossible to combo and being able to punish people for hitting you with anything that doesn't send you into tumble isn't broken?

Basically you can never safely Jab Diddy EVER if he uses this correctly and especially if he's holding a banana. Also you can't grab someone while you're still in an attack animation.

Makes Diddy camping behind a Banana even more silly when he gets to do "unsafe" approaches that can effectively be option selected into free Banana punishes for you trying to hit him back.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
ZSS infinite is character specific(only to Robin).

I still predict that there will be tech to get around this. It would let him go into an airdodge presuming the hitstun actually takes him off the ground which most jabs don't do. Couple that with the lag you get when you land after an airdodge and the standard jab is likely not really safe to this again. With a banana it might be a different story but I doubt this is gonna affect jabs much.

Really it's only bad for combos but meh, I'll get around it while it exists. Das my job.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Being able to INSTANTLY AIRDODGE AND SHIELD after non-tumble histun? That's INCREDIBLY broken. Let's add that you can transition to item tossing out of airdodge.
Gee, it's not like we never had to deal with stuff like this in Brawl...

If you want a tech to go away, there are three easy steps:
1. Have a lot of people use it online
2. Have a lot of people complain profusely about said tech
3. Wait for a patch

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
You forgot something, Mega Man and Diddy are not the only ones with a combo breaker, Pikachu´s down-b is also a combo breaker.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You foregot something, Mega Man and Diddy are not the only ones with a combo breaker, Pikachu´s down-b is also a combo breaker.
Pikachu's combo breaker functions on completely different mechanics that are not strictly broken making it a worse Marth Dolphin Slash.

Player-1

Smash Legend

you are an idiot

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I've seen people using the wording "Diddy can break out of hitstun for free" around the Internet and just wanted to clarify - does this include all hitstun, or just weak/non-tumble hitstun? Thanks. :)

RanserSSF4

NNID
RanserSSF4
I am here to confirm that @ TTTTTsd TTTTTsd is absolutly correct. I've been testing this glitch and I can confirm you that just like Mega Man, his "combo breaker" only works on low hitstun and weak non-tumble moves, not high-hitstun moves. Once your percent goes higher, you won't do this very easily or not at all when in large hitstun!

Top Bottom