• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching a shielded opponent.

halu102

Smash Apprentice
I am wondering, is wavebombing an efficient way to approach a shielded opponent? Since it doesn't generate enough lag to be an infinite, I was thinking it could rather be used as a mindgame instead or basically a maneuver.

The approach that came to mind was either coming from a straight dash (preferrably after an MC) or FJ aerial, one could bomb the opponents shield and dodge diagonally through them to either grab or smash from behind. Can this be done on an actual thinking opponent? I unfortunately have no one to test this on, but it seems like another good way to go about bypassing a shield. I'm just afraid that higher level players will be able to see the move and grab or attack before you can get the Smash or grab off.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
A couple things to try:

A. Jab their shield and the crouch then jab again. Do this fast and it will put pressure on them and you might be able to get a ftilt in.

B. Run past their shield, crouch, fsmash their direction.

C. Run into their shield then lay 3 bombs as fast as you can. Their shield will be almost completly gone and they won't keep it up long :). You can often FF a dair after this and hit them.

D. Ftilt to dash attack. A lot of times after you ftilt someones shield they will drop it in attempt to do something. Samus's dash attack has great priority and if you go past them they can't shieldgrab you even if they keep their shield up.

E. Missle cancel to grab. If they stay in their shield for the missle then it's a free grab for you..just follow your missle and grab.

F. MC into nair. A lot of times people will try and jump over the missle..if you can predict your opponent doing this then jump right before you get to them and nair..they will jump straight into it and eat a nair to the face.

G. If they start to spotdodge your missles hoping to make you miss your grab you can just wait for the spotdodge and punish it with a fsmash-grab-dsmash-dtilt..well..whatever you want too :).

H. MC then follow your missel and Shffl a dair onto the back of their shield. This should hit right after the missle does. Yeah, they will shield it, but they might not shield the fsmash you do right after you l-cancel the dair. And they will be facing away from you so it is hard to punish.

I. Charge a Fsmash or Dsmash. As silly as this sounds..it might work once or twice..if your opponent is used to you being agressive on their shield and they like to hold it and not fall for your tricks then run up to just out of their grab range and start charging a fsmash. Only let go if they drop their sheild..unless they jump and hit you with an arieal immediatly you will not be punished for this by many charcters.

Hope I helped.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
if all else fails, running grab a couple times till they expect it from you. When they start jumping to avoid it, run in with a nair. Another cool strategy I've seen is a super wave dash into a bomb dair. http://youtube.com/watch?v=X1EceHJi8Bw If you watch right at the beginning against his battle with ganondorf, he does this like 3 times in a row. It's pretty much the same thing as C in the post above me, but IMO looks cooler and is less predictable.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
if all else fails, running grab a couple times till they expect it from you. When they start jumping to avoid it, run in with a nair. Another cool strategy I've seen is a super wave dash into a bomb dair. http://youtube.com/watch?v=X1EceHJi8Bw If you watch right at the beginning against his battle with ganondorf, he does this like 3 times in a row. It's pretty much the same thing as C in the post above me, but IMO looks cooler and is less predictable.

Don't do this unless you are very confident in your SWD ability. I can SWD almost 100% (as I have proven to many people I've played...I showed a few people at FC) and I still don't like using it to approach. It IS predictible if you do it more then once because you have to lay a bomb to preform it. Why would they just sit in their shield after? If you are going to SWD at least MC and follow it you that you are covered. Once you SWD you are commited to one movement. Your opponent can easily just jump or avoid you and leave you in a bad position.

If you feel like being flashy..then by all means go ahead :). I do in friendlies all the time. But not in tournament >_>.

halu102

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys, but does anyone have any experience with wavebombing? That's what I'm really curious about. The only time I hear it used is to generate a sort of PoF, but that can't be with it's horrible shield lag. I'd just like to know if wavebomb-cancelling is fast enough to keep up with an at least fairly competitive player.

Maybe I should've renamed the thread to something to do with wavebombing. But thanks guys for the different shield approaches.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Thanks guys, but does anyone have any experience with wavebombing? That's what I'm really curious about. The only time I hear it used is to generate a sort of PoF, but that can't be with it's horrible shield lag. I'd just like to know if wavebomb-cancelling is fast enough to keep up with an at least fairly competitive player.

Maybe I should've renamed the thread to something to do with wavebombing. But thanks guys for the different shield approaches.
Wavebombing is more used as a mindgame then a shield pressure tactic...For example, lay a bomb and then run to it..when it explodes, instead of using it to jump, use it to wavedash forward quickly and get a suprise hit in on someone.

As for bomb's on shields, you should just press down b 3 times really fast and it will wear their shield down to almost nothing in no time.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
can't you wavedash without a bomb?
Um...yes? Generally when you see a samus run into a bomb you think the bomb is going to make her jump. I'm just saying you can wavedash instead of jumping from the bomb >_>...Other then that I don't really see a use to wavebombing...

Also, I'm not saying it's better to wavebomb then to just wavedash lol. I'm just saying if you layed a mine and missed a SWD or something like that you can do that if you want to >_>..

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
i say variety, being unpredictable its good, hylian mentioned some alot of things to do in his first post, then just perfect them and mix them as you can. cause if you run and always grab, XD a dodge will punish your miss grab XD
one thing you can do also is wait for them to dodge XD and just hit XD,
one thing i did in a tourny against pax a good fox player, he expected the grab, i ran and charge my Fsmash, he dodged and i just hit when he was vulnerable XD...

...my mindgames suck T.T

halu102

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, thanks Hylian for the input. Now I'm going to try to take your advice further and maybe wavebomb the third explosion. Though I'd have to be pretty fast with the fingers and I'd most likely be too high in the air. I'll try it though and report back. Actually have someone to play with.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Sure thing.

And majoras...did you beat PAX? I only played him once at EVO and I barley won..>_>..But I think it was because he didn't know how to play samus well because his fox was really good.

And Majoras is too good at Samus ditto's :).

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
Sure thing.

And majoras...did you beat PAX? I only played him once at EVO and I barley won..>_>..But I think it was because he didn't know how to play samus well because his fox was really good.

And Majoras is too good at Samus ditto's :).

I beat him that tourny ^.^ wich im really happy cause ive played him like 8 times in tourny and that was the only time ive beat him in tourny, but he knows how to play samus, its only you have the samus-fox matchup down for good.

Top Bottom