• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

approaching/edgeguarding with lemons into combos? are lemons viable against high skilled players?

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
It's unexpected, but approaching with lemons is hilariously good. I've been spamming lemons with 2-3 shots, with the 2nd or 3rd hitting the "sweet spot lemon." the results have my opponent in a combo string, depending how they DI, i can follow up with flame sword or down A, then repeat the "sweet spot lemon (if i am able to)." this usually does 50-60 dmg, and I'm surprised how consistently i can pull it off. (but it does require some timing and positioning to be able to pull it off, so better practice!)

now the really funny part is megaman's edgeguarding with lemons. I was messing around on For Glory, and i decided why not lemon? I gave my opponent the lemon while he's trying to recover back to the stage. and guess wat? the lemon makes him miss his jump input, before he knows it, he's already too far below to be able to up B. and he hilariously falls to his death, because of a lemon. I've pulled this off 5 times on an opponent at near 30-40%, and it worked everytime! I was laughing at how much megaman's lemonade is feared. and it must just be the skill gap that i pulled this off consistently, but im wondering if these lemon combos are viable against high skilled players?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Once someone catches on to the ledge guard tactic they will be able to defend against it. I like the idea though.

I also think the lemon approach is good. You can move towards them while still spamming them which is nice. And most opponents don't expect you to come at them closer than lemon range

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Buster shots work on all skill levels. It's a great tool for spacing and disruption.

Plorf

Smash Apprentice
I haven't been able to clock too much time in the game but Mega Man's "ftilt" (the approaching buster) seems pretty useless to me. The range is really short overall, and by the time you get close they're usually out of histun. Am I using it wrong?

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
I haven't been able to clock too much time in the game but Mega Man's "ftilt" (the approaching buster) seems pretty useless to me. The range is really short overall, and by the time you get close they're usually out of histun. Am I using it wrong?
You are supposed to everyonce in a while throw out a N.air to push them back slightly then when they least expect it walk towards the opponent making the third ftilt hit sweet spot. And from there you get lots of options or repeat.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
You can stop walking at any point. You can jump at any point. You can stop firing at any point. It's a great way to get a little closer safely.

uncaDon

Smash Cadet
Lemons are the glue in megamans gameplay. Usually when you're not doing something else you can shoot at least one lemon.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Im not an MM main, but i have fought some good MM's, and most of them utilize this tactic. It makes it waay harder to get at Mega Man, its a good spacing/zoning tool honestly, and definitely gives Mega Man a great edge in his competitive game. Besides, alot of characters dont have projectiles (or good ones anyway) to combat this with, so its great for racking up damage and stopping your opponent from doing the same to you as easily.

Top Bottom