• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching Toon Link

Professional Idiot

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so I have a friend that primarily uses Toon Link. And he camps. A lot. I often lose due to the fact that, although he camps, he's actually a very good and can effectively hit me away when I approach him. Does anyone have any tips for approaching Toon Link effectively while he camps? Right now, I'm just getting within mid-range of him by deflecting boomerangs and arrows with PK Fire, and then aerially attacking him with a D-Air, but he often jumps up and executes a B-Air, which is way too fast for me to avoid. We usually play on Final Destination, so counter-camping him isn't very effective.

So yeah, any tips?

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Pk fire him till he screams from the annoyance. Every time your pkfire hits, use pk freeze. Hit his boomerang and arrows with the stick to reflect them. He'll stop camping eventually. Pk thunder is good at mid range sine you can Toon with it then hit your back to shoot into him.

Levitas

the moon
I agree with the first sentence of backlashmarth. Other than that, use the bat to reflect a few boomerangs (NOT arrows or bombs), and he'll approach once your pk fire starts to work its magic.

Levitas

the moon
experiment a little. I think T. Link has enough attacks with decent enough range that wavebouncing is a good idea, but see what works.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Stop playing on final destination........

but seriously, sh airdodge his arrows, airdodge his bombs (you will catch them), and reflect his boomerang with the stick. other than that spam PK fire a lot until he starts rolling towards you. Then Dsmash if he continues to roll.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
sorry, but i didn't like that pk fire to pk freeze, with and without wavebounce. I never get punished because of the lag, but neither i hit the opponent. It is too easy to dodge and the stun of the pk fire is not that good to make this combo (pk fire+pk freeze)

Falcon...Puuunch!

Smash Cadet
If he's being cheap and camping, then just do the same. Spam him with PK Thunder and PK Fire until he gives up. Once he comes toward try a Usmash or Dsmash.

PKstarstorm

Smash Rookie
it should not be difficult to jump above the enemy and attack with an airial a move to cancel toon link's spin attack. i believe these forums call it a ftilt or dtilt?

NessFire

Smash Rookie
Man, I feel for you. My friend (and tournament partner) is a TLink whor3. Arrows, bombs, and 'rangs all the time, and his sword's reach is JUST enough to keep your *** out of his face. I've found shorthopped wavebounce pkfires extremely difficult to pull off, because he is so short. And if it is the right height, he seems to easily shield it. Plus, my friend is exceptional at whipping out Dairs even when you think it nigh impossible. Also, am I the only one who's noticed that the second bounce of TLinks Dair goes directly trhough a shield as though it weren't even there? Maybe I'm just effing up....
I know Lucas is supposed to play a long-range defense, but the problem lies with the fact that his longrange attacks either need to be controlled (leaving you open) or have just enough lag to leave you open. TLinks stuff is all "fire and forget".

gantrain05

Smash Master
i just try not to be predictable, pk fire, fair a bit, i even pkt2 myself right in his face every once in a while, for some reason it seems to catch ppl off gaurd, and if their shield is low, it goes right thru it and hits em anyways, i dunno, it seems a pretty even matchup for me.

NessUserAnton

Smash Rookie
PKT a lot, and when he comes close, just redirect it for a PKT2. It works ya know. Than do some Side Smashes when you get close. Maybe try to get some PSI Magnets in for the LITTLE extra push =P. Great huh?

Seriously, PK Freeze to F-Air ftw. Don't U-Smash too much, and try to get some U-Tilts in =D.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
Three of my friends, in a smash circle of 18, play TL and I used to complain about this match up, so I come to repent.
TL can be countered and in fact Owned by Lucas. Practice practice practice reflecting items. Play a lvl 9 TL if you have to, and run from him till he fires projectiles at you. Computers are stupid and will do this and you can use it for batting practice. I found this improved my game against TL 10 fold.

Always reflect rangs back at him but only arrows that he charges. Non charged arrows will go back at his shield and he'll just fire another one. If he's smart he'll realize his spam strat won't work and he'll start pulling bombs first and throwing them after you reflect an arrow. (<--another reason why you should avoid reflecting arrows.) This is when you learn to air dodge and Nair to grab the bombs and lug em back at him. I swear to you, if you practice and practice against TLs projectile game you will shut your friend down. I used to get 2,3,4 stocked by every TL I faced, now all I hear is complaining about how OP lucas is.

A few more pointers:
Avoid PKT and PKT2 while on the stage in this match up as his arrows and rang will cancel it and you'll be a sitting duck.
The best ways I have found to edge gaurd a TL is to chase him with PKF and/or a rising Dair. I only chase with PKF against TL since he has such a slow fall and is very predictable.
You can grab TL in the middle of his Fsmash.
Always approach TL with an airdodge followed by ftilt/utilt, make sure to land behind him.
Side stepping is crucial in this matchup, but when in close range only use it while behind him him, his Fsmash will eat your children.
Your bat will hit his sword during his attacks and send him flying, remember this for spacing.
Tone down shield grabs in this match up, not only does his grab out range yours, but most his moves will space him out of your range if he hits your shield, IE - his Dair, Uspecial, Dtilt etc.

I could go on and on but basically TL has very few moves that can't be punished harshly. His moves are slow but hurt, that's about it. The slowness of his moves is why most TLs will spam projectiles bringing us back to my main point.

Practice practice practice reflecting and dodging projectiles and your next match with your friend will be a joke ;P

GOOD LUCK !

Powda

Smash Apprentice
Oh p.s./BTW TLs get cocky sometimes with their Dair, they think it destroys everything in it's path. Throw in an Usmash one of these days and send him flying, yes Usmash counters all who oppose it's wrath ;) And your friend will avoid that strat as well. Most likely he'll start pulling bombs and throwing them down at you followed by a Dair, just side step and punish him again, seriously...let us know if my advice doesn't improve your game !
GL again !

KhmerNinjai

Smash Rookie
I'm having the same problem too
i can't beat my friend's toon link
i cant get no where near him to hit him at all
his projectiles either cancel out my pk fires or hits me
!!! grr lol

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
Being a TL main, with Lucas as my secondary, I have found that SH Pk Fire can do wonders. If you can constantly hit him with Pk attacks, he often loses control. TLs projectiles are slower than you think. And I can tell you, when TL gets outprojectiled, he loses most of his power. Just beware of evil bairs! XD

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
On topic: practice perfect sheilding or atleast sheilding arrows.. and do what Powda said.

Off topic: OR if you just want to win, pick up marth(his sword out reaches Tlink's and you can sh arrows. airdodge/catch bombs and sheild rangs.)

But Pk Fire with lucas will annoy him along with sheilding and when he runs it watch out for bairs. and running upsmashes as they come out quick and put u in the position for juggling. Which is the other half of Tlink's game

AvantGarde

Smash Cadet
approach with Nair or Fair, when you need. As a TL main I can tell you nothing beats TL like a fast approacher. Once you get to close range, Lucas has good enough air and ground game that you should be able to go toe-to-toe. As far as projectiles go, unless you're playing somewhere like pirate ship where the control you have over Lucas' projectiles make it so arrows, bombs, and the boomerang can't get through, use them sparingly.

Top Bottom