• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching with Fox

DemonicInfluence

Smash Ace
How should I approach with fox against falco?

I mean when i use short hop approach, he tends to up-smash me and i get caught in the Uair combo....

I try to use laser, but then he comes and grabs and does Uair combo..

So, any advice?

AlexBarry

Smash Journeyman
How should I approach with fox against falco?

I mean when i use short hop approach, he tends to up-smash me and i get caught in the Uair combo....

I try to use laser, but then he comes and grabs and does Uair combo..

So, any advice?

Sounds like you're just playing someone faster than you. Although Falcon is insanely fast, it shouldn't be that difficult for you to approach. Also, don't run straight in. Switch between lasers and any of the airs. Keep em guessing.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
short hop double laser is enough to keep falcon back if you can do it without errors. when you approach for a combo do it with your short hop uair, that has the most priority out of all of foxes aireals.

Nephiros

Smash Ace
yea, the best approach is most definetly short hop lasers or short hop uair, for priority. Try to add variety, though, or you will be predictable. For example, if you've been using lasers a lot and he tends to block, just run in with a grab instead.

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
You could also feint an approach-- pretend to sh approach, or dash forward, and then wait for his Upsmash and catch him in his lag.

Or simply place defensive and let him come to you.

DreDay

Smash Journeyman
RTSD <- Rush that **** down
Well at least thats what I do , I just go for infinite and DI like crazy.

m i rite??

DemonicInfluence

Smash Ace
Thanks for all the advice. BUt i can't like do a lot of that stuff on sector z, which the falcon person basically forces me to play on... He just hides in the side of the ship and i usually get chain grabbed there...

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Sector Z is banned...
...And how're you getting chaingrabbed on Sector Z? I've heard of Hyrule chaingrabbing, but Sector Z?

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
Don't play on Sector Z. If they force you to, don't play.

No such thing as chain grabbing on 64 Sector Z... maybe you ment Melee?

And if you mean that you simply get grabbed a lot around the edge, then just again, figure some way out. Grab happy players can't handle z-cancelling and projectiles.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
In Melee you can walltech...
Hmm, maybe there's some broken backthrow combo with Falcon none of use have ever seen :psycho:

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
SHL or SHDL works great against falcon from long range.A short hopped Uair can help alot because It will give you an oppurtunity to juggle him for awhile.

DemonicInfluence

Smash Ace
In Melee you can walltech...
Hmm, maybe there's some broken backthrow combo with Falcon none of use have ever seen :psycho:
basically, you know how there is a wall there? He throws me there. I bounce off. grab again. Repeat... for like 6 times... Then its easy ko..

Wait, what maps are allowed?

Laser don't go through walls... So, if i jump over the ledge, he catches me.. gg...

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
I wish I could SH uair :-(

Stupid keyboard. We're still better, ain't that right Neph?

Edit: OH I was writing sector Z yet thinking of Planet Zebes. Oh that wall at the top... I see what you mean now. In your case I'd practice jumping as far away from that wall as possible, keeping up on the top, or staying near the "jets" of the ship, and just short-hop laser, forcing him to approach you.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Even so, you can chaingrab with Falcon in the fin? I must try this sometime.

DemonicInfluence

Smash Ace
You could still DI down at lower percentages, and away at higher.
I don't get what you mean. DI from what? His grabs? That would be hard.. I'm not so good that that..

if i fall down the ledge to try to hit him with lasers, he hits me with uair which has like higher priority than my attacks...

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
Well then just stop playing the noob.

And you can't DI grabs, but maybe if he's grabbing you right next to the wall you can DI off it?

Also... there is no "magic solution" to your problem. You simply have to get better. If I needed help with a specific opponent, I don't think a forum would help me much. Just practice until given mechanics and techniques aren't owning you.

_kSo_

Smash Master
I play both falcon and fox so I pretty much know how to handle situations such as this one.

If you don't already know, falcon has a very "in your face" style of fighting. Most good falcon players will fight similarly so just use fox to his full potential and you won't have a problem. By full potentional, I mean LOTS of lasers. SHDL (Short Hop Double Laser), SHPL (Short Hop Pivot Laser), or simply SHL (Short Hop laser)*
a short explaination
Short Hop Double Laser - Short hopping and shooting two lasers before landing

Short Hop Pivot Laser - As you are running away from your opponent, pivot, Short hop, and shoot a laser

Short Hop Laser - Simply Short Hop straight up or while approaching your opponent (recommended), and shoot a laser. If you time it correctly, you will be able to hit CF in his torso area, which will also allow you to hit smaller characters such as fox or even ness.

If you can master these techniques and use them in a typhoon of laser tricks, you will be able to dance circles around CF. And remember, always be on the move so it's a lot harder to grab you. (but don't be careless and jump in above CF either...lol upsmash to the face)

Typically fox has a weakness to CF because fox is a character that is a perfect weight for z2d** combos. However I have found if you use these laser tricksies, it is quite easy to turn the tables against CF. Just practice these techniques and work on your mind games. Hope this helped!

*These are pretty much the types of laser shennanigans you can pull while short hopping. obviously off normal jumps you can shoot a lot more lasers. But those aren't important right now

** Zero percent to Death

Mura

Smash Apprentice
If I recall, some characters can prevent Falcon's grab from attacking them by simply ducking and using an attack. Since I don't have the game right now, would it be possible to use a d-tilt with fox to avoid a grab?

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Well any attack can stop Falcon's grab if you are quick enough. Fox's jab works pretty well too.

whaahppnd

Smash Journeyman
use kirby
u-tilt FTW!!!
no but seriously... this guy ur playing doesn't seem all TOO good... u make him sound grab happy so if you can land an up-tilt with kirby u shud be able to rack up some serious damage...
with fox u simply have to get better at ur mindgames...u can do the grab thing too

_kSo_

Smash Master
um okay I don't understand this SHPL fully, how do you pivot in the air?
turnaround in the air? o_o
sorry i meant run away, pivot and SHL

*fixed

...this guy ur playing doesn't seem all TOO good... u make him sound grab happy...
wtf are you talking about all falcons are grab happy his whole **** game revolves around grabbing and juggling

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Pivot sounds so weird, it's usually a term used when you're on the ground...

_kSo_

Smash Master
you wouldn't be able to do shine pivot and do a laser b4 you land kuz the shine won't cancel out till you land anyway

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master

wtf are you talking about all falcons are grab happy his whole **** game revolves around grabbing and juggling

THANK YOU. So many ****ing scrubs on kaillera

''Grab much?'' its like

**** YOU. Im playing falcon. Grabbing is always a good idea, stop GETTING GRABBED THEN.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I joke about massive amounts of grabbing all the time :psycho: but I usually don't mean anything by it. Like Pikachu's telescoping arms *mutter*

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I joke about massive amounts of grabbing all the time :psycho: but I usually don't mean anything by it. Like Pikachu's telescoping arms *mutter*
Joking is fine... but some people are nuts... example :

I HATE PEOPLE LIKE YOU. YOU ****ING ******* ALL YOU DO IS GRAB THEN USE UAIR OR USMASH THEN UAIR.. CANT YOU PLAY WITHOUT USING THOSE MOVES.

and im like.. lemme get this straight, you want me to play captain falcon without using fthrow, usmash, or uair...

and hes like yes

and im like I promise I wont then

he unpauses and the next thing I did was fthrow him, then usmash him, then uair him and he kicked me from the game XD

but he was really freaking on me, wishing ill on my family, etc.

lol, getting grabbed is the problem IMO.

Top Bottom